What is everyone's opinion on Chief Clancy Wiggum?

What is everyone's opinion on Chief Clancy Wiggum?

• He's Okay

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No Opinion

• Find him annoying

• Hate him

• Mixed on him

• Who?

• Total voters

Jackomon

Animation Fanatic
Personally, I love him, he's always consistently funny whenever he appears

I like him a lot.

Chief Wiggum is a lot like a slightly more benign version of Mayor Quimby (who in addition to being extremely incompetent is also immoral). I mean, he does kind of overdo the stereotype of an overweight and inept police officer, but that's been a necessary evil for the show since 1989.

My strongest take on Wiggum is that turning Ralph into an ambiguously-disabled non-sequitur machine essentially cut him off at the knees. I Love Lisa shows him as a surprisingly three-dimensional character as both a corrupt, incompetent officer, and also a genuinely loving and supportive father, and I really wish we got more of that.

Kinda remarkable how ACAB they were willing to go with him looong before those four letters entered into the common vocab. Comparing it to comedy shows and shows with comedy elements of the 2000-2015 era that featured cops, and which were loaded with copaganda, often to a staggering degree looking back on them with hindsight, that the Simpsons were willing to be that brutal back in the 90s is rather impressive.

Sure there's a fair bit of him being a likable goof who is too dumb to know any better, but there's plenty of solid jabs too.

Oh they were absolutely ahead of the curve on that one... and yet somehow manages to still be an unironically better cop than several real ones... especially thinking of the acorn guy. Not that I couldn't see that with him, just amazed there wasn't already something like that.

Do wish there'd be more of him and Ralph though. I just have this huge soft spot for characters that are jerks to basically everybody but one or two very specific folks...

No matter how funny Chief Wiggum is, he's still my least favorite character because he's not nice and is often rude, insulting, and even locked up my most favorite secondary character Officer Lou. For me, such scenes are not funny, but even sad, because when a favorite character suffers, it's not very pleasant, especially when the character is not just like it, I love it! But no matter what Chief Wiggum was I will not hate him, as despite the terrible character of Chief funny moments with him make me laugh.

Back