Season 35 Information Thread

Just discovered that in synopsiso_O
Bart makes a new friend in the all-new "Bart’s Brain" season finale episode of The Simpsons airing Sunday, May 19 (8:00-8:30 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (SI-3512) (TBD)
Rating system is… in process? OK, what's gonna be on?:coffee:

Episodes 35ABF08 and 13-15 must be, by some distance, the earliest episodes ever to air as a holdover in the next season (presuming that is what happens)?

Yep! As *12 is the earliest code for "the biggest number of non-holdver" episode, alongside wirh "Coming to Homerica" (LABF12)

Yep! As *12 is the earliest code for "the biggest number of non-holdver" episode, alongside wirh "Coming to Homerica" (LABF12)
I mean, sure... if you're also ignoring delayed episodes like The Man Who Came to Be Dinner (RABF15) which aired midway through Season 26 despite originally being part of the Season 24 production run (i.e. over two years after that run's first episode - To Cur With Love - was broadcast) - largely due to being entertained as a potential movie premise.

Episodes 35ABF08 and 13-15 must be, by some distance, the earliest episodes ever to air as a holdover in the next season (presuming that is what happens)?
Surely one of them has to be written by Christine Nangle, Rob LaZebnik nor Tim Long. I know Loni Steele Sosthand is already the writer for 35ABF08. However, if 35ABF14 (or even 35ABF15) is a Treehouse of Horror, we might be expecting a three-writer format for that one again. Either way, guess we won't find out what the production code for THOH XXXV will be until whenever the Comic Con happens sometime in July later this year

Last edited:
I mean, sure... if you're also ignoring delayed episodes like The Man Who Came to Be Dinner (RABF15) which aired midway through Season 26 despite originally being part of the Season 24 production run (i.e. over two years after that run's first episode - To Cur With Love - was broadcast) - largely due to being entertained as a potential movie premise.
Yes, we ignoring them, as we talk about the smallest/earliest code number (sorry, I wrote the formulation wrong)

I meant the broadcast season ended with *ABF12 scripts is the minimum number by now.
And after "The Man Who Came to Be Dinner" (RABF15), and several *ABF14 eps in broadcast seasons 20, 21 & 27, The Yellow Lotus (35ABF08) to become the holdover with the smallest number.

They posted a preview clip for The Telltale Pants on Facebook:

So already no hope for this episode....Jean throwing in the usual fat Homer jokes as if that's covering new ground is just very disappointing. Instead of trying to make new character developments and making them as 3-Dimensional as possible, he just throws in stereotypical jokes and predictable story choices that set back the progress Selman and his team are trying to make...

Reactions: MDB
So am I seeing things right that season 35 will have 18 complete episodes? That's interesting. The 2008 writer's strike caused season 19 to have 20 episodes, the shortest amount since the first season's order of 13 (common practice for tv show pickups). Now season 35 will claim that crown with the shortest episode count.

Back when dvds were still rolling out every year, I remember feeling a sense of coziness/gratefulness knowing how many new episodes and content will be on the set especially since money was tight as a teen so you wanted to get your money's worth. I was going to buy it regardless but it was just something I'd always take note of when looking forward to that next boxset. Season 6-9 having 25 episodes each. That odd season having 21 or 23 episodes. It's just useless info that I always had in the back of my mind.

Nowadays we've been conditioned with shorter seasons in the streaming era but network comedies tend to always flourish with that 22 episode model. So 18 episodes is still perfectly plenty. I obviously understand why it's a shorter season but I dunno, I just want to acknowledge that 15 years ago I would have found this interesting from a fan standpoint as compared to now. The show has almost 800 episodes at this point so it really doesn't matter, but from a Simpsons historian perspective, we now have two writers strike seasons and we see the noticeable impact of it. Season 35 will now be that season in the show's history.

Last edited:
So am I seeing things right that season 35 will have 18 complete episodes? That's interesting. The 2008 writer's strike caused season 19 to have 20 episodes, the shortest amount since the first season's order of 13 (common practice for tv show pickups). Now season 35 will claim that crown with the shortest episode count.

What I think is curious is the decision to keep so many holdovers for season 36. I know they were hamstrung by last year's strikes and some episodes got delayed but I am a little surprised we didn't end up with at least some 20 episodes this season. I remember how most of us thought that it was gonna be season 36 that was gonna be impacted by having less episodes, but it happened sooner than later.

What I think is curious is the decision to keep so many holdovers for season 36. I know they were hamstrung by last year's strikes and some episodes got delayed but I am a little surprised we didn't end up with at least some 20 episodes this season. I remember how most of us thought that it was gonna be season 36 that was gonna be impacted by having less episodes, but it happened sooner than later.
We thought (and still think\speculate for a time yet) the production season 36 to be shortened to 20 eps. Like 18 eps in season 35 (that number is caused by delay and impossibility to prepare so much episodes after strike to be included in broadcast season). Then, if the information from Price didn't change, other 11 holdovers (including switched code "The Yellow Lotus" and "The Beautiful Shame") went to season 36, becoming the biggest amount of holdovers. And, traditionally, to "keep back to track" season 36 to have as many episodes as it's possible - 23 or 24 for sure.

And if so (speculation alert), if there is going to be 20 "36abf"-s there are left 7-8 holdovers for season 37 (by today, it will include at least only 36abfs). And going ahead, if that number is "8 holdovers" potential broadcast season 37 also can be extended from usual 22, but that's the future…

And to those who panics over 11 holdovers, take attention and recall other AniDom shows - Family Guy and Bob's Burgers - have whole seasons of holdovers (broadcast season 14 of Burgers has product code from 13th production season). There is even bigger mess💁‍♂️
“Butt Sweat and Fears” episode of Bob’s Burgers airing Sunday, May 19 (9:30-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (BOB-1312) (TV-PG D, L)

We thought (and still think\speculate for a time yet) the production season 36 to be shortened to 20 eps.

That much is true. So season 36 is in other words not safe from being impacted by the strikes. And yeah, we indeed know for a fact there's gonna be a whole lot of from 35, which combined with the probability of less episodes, will make 36 have fewer episodes produced for it, thereby likely making it the first season with relatively few "original" episodes.

And your explanation lay out the important basics well, of course.

And to those who panics over 11 holdovers, take attention and recall other AniDom shows - Family Guy and Bob's Burgers - have whole seasons of holdovers (broadcast season 14 of Burgers has product code from 13th production season). There is even bigger mess💁‍♂️

I don't think there is any reason for worry or concern. I mean, for one thing, a lot of animated streaming shows these days have only some 10 episodes each season so the AniDom shows still having some 21-22 episodes each time (normally) is kind of an outlier.

Is it just me, or the couch gag for tonight's episode looks familiar?🤔
Al Jean said:
GM1GfmtXYAAmbf6

People panicking about a Simpsons season being shortened because of the strikes when EVERY season of EVERY television show was shortened this year because of the strikes just emphasizes a bubble assessment of the show that's divorced from reality. Everything got shortened. It's no big deal. Hell, it's especially not a big deal for The Simpsons given that it doesn't follow a linear narrative and they just insert episodes willy-nilly wherever with non-existent continuity and split showrunners who even market their episodes differently (Jean's approach being to hold a phone up to the screen of his timestamped production copy and tweet those snaps out).

As for less episodes getting produced for Season 36 based on hypothetical reasons? Well, FOX ordered a full slate of 44 episodes just as they always do and that's a production contract they're on the hook to fulfill in terms of ponying up the costs. Strikes don't change that. If there are any adjustments made because we're at 11 holdovers now instead of 7, those adjustments will come when the new contract order for Seasons 37 & 38 comes up early next year. Season 36 is still going to have its contracted 22 episodes made for it... even if half of them won't air until Season 37.

Well said, @Brad Lascelle.

You know something, I like to imagine the reactions from people if 'The Simpsons' (heck, maybe all of the Animation Domination shows) would come to shift their output from 22 episodes to 10 episodes a season like a lot of shows these days. So many fans would lose their minds!

Back