Rate & Review: "The Tell-Tale Pants" (35ABF10)

How would you rate this episode?

• Total voters

Brad Lascelle

A Fixture in Online Simpsons Fandom Since '93
Global Moderator
eyBFPez.png

Season 35, Episode 16
Original Airdate
: May 5, 2024

Writer & Showrunner: Al Jean
Director: Steven Dean Moore

Synopsis: Marge comes upon a surprising windfall and, angry with Homer, spends it secretly on herself.

Previous R&R
Next R&R

Last edited:
Eh, this episode was okay tonight. But I will say, it was nice to see Mr. Burns again after over 5 months (of course Smithers also appeared too by the way), I do find the part silly where Homer accidentally ripped his own usual blue pants while at Moe's, that's all I can say about tonight's new episode so far, so... I guess I'll give this 3/5

When you guys ask me what my problem is with Marge, it’s episodes like this that are my answer.

Once again, we get Marge feeling under appreciated and getting pissy at Homer for something that Moe did (jamming the signal so her calls never got through) AND for a petty reason (not asking her to the baseball game because she doesn’t even like baseball). We’ve heard it before. Multiple times.

Al Jean has two dials when it comes to Marge: handwringing ninny or bitter, petty, vindictive hypocrite. And both were in full display here.

It was almost nice to have Marge have her petty actions catch up with her through her guilt driving her crazy…but because this is a Jean episode, it’s Homer who gets castigated for being selfish…by Moe, no less. So Maya has been officially written out, and Moe is back to obsessing about Marge again? Ugh.

Finding out it was a blood diamond would have been a perfect end to the episode…but like I said before, Jean Marge is a hypocrite, so she doesn’t really care enough to give it back.

Jean, I beg of you, get a new schtick.

Maya's disappearance is the funniest thing ever. Jean finally decided to give his pet character a happy ending with his perfect waifu, only to completely and utterly forget about her and return Moe back to the same shtick he's been stuck with for more than two decades....all while Selman has reverted him back to his Classic persona.

It's like we all just collectively hallucinated the story happened at all.

I have yet to see the episode, but I will say this, I'm honestly not surprised that Maya has been thanos snapped out of existence. At least Naima is still around, for now.

Maya's disappearance is the funniest thing ever. Jean finally decided to give his pet character a happy ending with his perfect waifu, only to completely and utterly forget about her and return Moe back to the same shtick he's been stuck with for more than two decades....all while Selman has reverted him back to his Classic persona.

It would be funny if it wasn’t such an insult to the viewers that still watch this show despite everything.

The Wayz We Were shall henceforth be referred to as Every Man's Dream Part II.

Meh episode, with quite a bit of padding (two songs and some unnecessarily extended scenes will do that), but I did enjoy the two songs in the episode. I was a little confused on the conclusion of the saga with Homer's pants, but I guess we were just supposed to assume that it wasn't a problem since he loved his sweatpants. Instead, the problem was Marge's extreme guilt from buying something for herself, which we've seen done before, albeit better in Scenes From the Cl—wait, why am I comparing a season 35 episode to a season 7 episode?

As with most Marge-Homer conflicts these days, the fact that she felt slighted from not being asked to a baseball game when she wouldn't have enjoyed it felt very forced, as if they were trying to provide a reason for Marge to be angry so she could justify buying herself a ring. Marge doesn't need to be a total doormat; she can buy things for herself without a good reason once in a while. (It'll be good for the economy!)

I did have a weakness for the ending; the two trays of cookies somehow hit me right in the feels. The dialogue there was a bit heavy-handed, but it didn't bother me much. Also, more of Jean's jokes hit than usual in this episode; I actually chuckled a few times.

Still, a flawed outing. 2/5

Last edited:
As with most Marge-Homer conflicts these days, the fact that she felt slighted from not being asked to a baseball game when she wouldn't have enjoyed it felt very forced, as if they were trying to provide a reason for Marge to be angry so she could justify buying herself a ring. Marge doesn't need to be a total doormat; she can buy things for herself without a good reason once in a while. (It'll be good for the economy!)
We could’ve had the episode just about Marge getting the ring for herself just because and then feeling guilty about without her getting mad at Homer at all! Then maybe the ending of Homer deciding to “give” it to her might felt more mean due and earned instead of the capper to another Jean marital crapfest.

It's kinda nice to see the "Yeeeees?" guy appear again. What was the last episode he appeared in?

There was a marriage crisis episode in there but so much time was wasted on random scenes.

The whole scene with Burns and the following baseball scene felt like such a waste of time.

I liked some of the musical numbers and thought they did a good job on the scene where Marge tries to hide the ring.

Last edited:
Pretty paint-by-the-numbers episode. I've noticed a trend of Jean's recent marriage-crisis episodes actually giving the audience a legitimate reason to sympathize with Homer, this episode having him unable to read Marge's texts because the internet at Moe's doesn't work. I actually like this change in the dynamic, makes it more interesting to watch when it isn't Marge always having to be in the right. The episode's biggest problem is deciding to split the story between Homer and Marge, but doing nothing of note with either. Instead, all their big scenes, besides the ending, are just filled with random jokes and one-off character moments that interrupt the scene and flow of the story. It was, however, nice, to see a lot of the supporting cast, we haven't seen in a long time like Kent Brockman, Miss Hoover, Wolfcastle, Smithers and Burns, etc. Liked the ending, change in the marriage crisis dynamic, use of the supporting cast, but besides that a bland episode. 2/5.

Honestly, the thing which surprised me the most is that Jean referenced Gil/Hoover. Guess, combined with the Larry urn, he pays some attention to what Selman does.

Also, yeesh, Kavner's voice is getting rough. The scene at Lovejoy's place is especially bad.

Honestly, the thing which surprised me the most is that Jean referenced Gil/Hoover. Guess, combined with the Larry urn, he pays some attention to what Selman does.

If I didn't know better, I'd swear those two scenes were specifically added because we've been harping about how disconnected Jean's episodes feel from Selman's in recent weeks. Granted, that also extends to episode quality and consistent characterization but hey, I'll take nods to prior events when and wherever I can get them. It only helps to make the world feel lived-in.

Also, yeesh, Kavner's voice is getting rough. The scene at Lovejoy's place is especially bad.

Julie Kavner can still sound perfectly fine when the added effort is put into her direction and the audio engineering to ensure she sounds fine... and when I think of tonight's episode - which was largely a sweet ending and a whole lot of contrivance, laziness and padding to get to said ending - added effort is the furthest thing from my mind.

I'm surprised this episode seems to be getting such poor reviews; I enjoyed it, personally.

let's address the main elephant in the room: this was a marriage crisis plot, the simpsons fandom's most hated of all plots. it's always a bit disappointing to see a marriage crisis episode in more recent seasons, especially since a relatively common praise of "renaissance simpsons" is that they seemingly started backing down from these plots, such as in episodes like "pixelated and afraid." this isn't even the first marriage crisis of this season, with "ae bonny romance" also being one.

however, this wasn't a dealbreaker for Me. I don't know how to describe it, but the episode didn't "feel" like a marriage crisis, perhaps because of the focus on marge's guilt, rather than just her resentment towards homer.

I've seen some criticisms that marge's reason for getting upset with him in the first place was petty. while the baseball thing was absolutely strange, she had no way of knowing that moe jammed his phone's signal; to her, it just seemed like homer was ignoring her in an already stressful situation. it makes perfect sense that that irritated her.

however, I think the episode did a poor job of driving home that homer was being unappreciative. while there were definitely signs (E.G. him throwing his pants at marge, rather than directly giving them to her or--better yet--making amends beforehand), he was mostly just chilling in his sweatpants. (also a quick note on the "pants" part of the episode: too many fat jokes. I long for the day that the simpsons no longer relies on fat jokes)

the song about him being a horrible, callous husband came out of nowhere. he absolutely neglects her (and the rest of his family) emotionally, but this episode did next to nothing to make us see homer as a bad person; although the show rarely ever sets you up to totally root against homer, other episodes have done a much better job of showing the viewers homer's toxic behavior from other characters' perspectives.

the fact that it was a "mr. grinch" parody was especially odd: it's not a christmas episode, there were no other grinch references, why is this happening? while they absolutely can and have referenced things without prompting on thousands of occasions, it didn't feel organic. compare it to the grinch reference in "last exit to springfield," which wasn't at all confusing for the context.

I have mixed feelings about the ending. on the one hand, it was very touching when I first watched it; but on the other hand, when I think about it critically, it felt rushed. like they wanted the episode to end on a gentle note, but didn't have the time to build up to it. homer just found the ring that marge left out, got angry for a moment, then suddenly found several reminders of her love for him (why did she get them baseball tickets, anyway? wouldn't he need to make up for that?).

I'm a sucker for homarge, so I liked it, but it doesn't make much sense. it's like cotton candy: sweet without any real substance.

speaking of being a sucker for things, this was only a very minor moment, but I appreciated the scene with burns and smithers. it clearly only existed to move the plot along, but it was fun. I was sort of waiting for the inevitable barbie movie/oppenheimer reference, and they pulled through. smithers' pink hair was very cute, in My opinion :heart:

I give it a 2/5. it was enjoyable, but from a critical perspective, it was very contrived. this is one of those episodes where I feel My enjoyment is rooted in My autistic special interest in the series, rather than any objective high quality.

marge's voice didn't really stand out to Me much in this episode: it felt just as good/bad/modern-marge as it's been the past while. it was actually harry shearer's performance that stood out to Me here, namely his work on burns and smithers. burns' formerly soft-spoken voice is now performed as a strained whisper, while smithers' voice has gotten far deeper over the years (with the same being true for most all of shearer's characters, but smithers was especially noticeable this time around).

these changes have been happening for years, but they've been breaking My immersion more often in the past few seasons. I don't blame anyone, though; shearer is an 80-year-old man, so a bit (or a lot) of vocal decline is inevitable. same goes for kavner. but it's definitely getting more and more noticeable.

in the past, IIRC, shearer said that burns' voice was the hardest to do, which is especially becoming apparent now. it makes Me wonder if they're eventually going to do a soft marvin monroe and relegate burns to very minor roles (because they couldn't possibly remove him entirely), since monroe was also dropped for being too painful a voice to perform (and burns' voice absolutely has to hurt at this point, as well).

marge's voice didn't really stand out to Me much in this episode: it felt just as good/bad/modern-marge as it's been the past while. it was actually harry shearer's performance that stood out to Me here, namely his work on burns and smithers. burns' formerly soft-spoken voice is now performed as a strained whisper, while smithers' voice has gotten far deeper over the years (with the same being true for most all of shearer's characters, but smithers was especially noticeable this time around).

these changes have been happening for years, but they've been breaking My immersion more often in the past few seasons. I don't blame anyone, though; shearer is an 80-year-old man, so a bit (or a lot) of vocal decline is inevitable. same goes for kavner. but it's definitely getting more and more noticeable.

in the past, IIRC, shearer said that burns' voice was the hardest to do, which is especially becoming apparent now. it makes Me wonder if they're eventually going to do a soft marvin monroe and relegate burns to very minor roles (because they couldn't possibly remove him entirely), since monroe was also dropped for being too painful a voice to perform (and burns' voice absolutely has to hurt at this point, as well).
It kinda already has. I broke this down on the meta thread, but if you look through all of Selman's episodes since S31, you'd see that Shearer's characters have largely been pushed hard back into the background, with Ned (very few appearances outside of A Serious Flanders) and Smithers (just a single spotlight episode) being the biggest victims. Some of this is admittedly a consequence of the changed narrative focus (Smithers has very little to do with Burns no longer the regular main villain), but it's still concerning.

It kinda already has. I broke this down on the meta thread, but if you look through all of Selman's episodes since S31, you'd see that Shearer's characters have largely been pushed hard back into the background, with Ned (very few appearances outside of A Serious Flanders) and Smithers (just a single spotlight episode) being the biggest victims. Some of this is admittedly a consequence of the changed narrative focus (Smithers has very little to do with Burns no longer the regular main villain), but it's still concerning.
Shearer's roles being pushed back isn't a new thing, as confirmed by Al Jean himself on this very forum 20 years ago

Pretty paint-by-the-numbers episode. I've noticed a trend of Jean's recent marriage-crisis episodes actually giving the audience a legitimate reason to sympathize with Homer, this episode having him unable to read Marge's texts because the internet at Moe's doesn't work. I actually like this change in the dynamic, makes it more interesting to watch when it isn't Marge always having to be in the right.
Yes, but the problem is the narrative still insists upon Marge being in the right/a victim instead of having her realize and admit to overreacting. Homer still has to go through the motions of atoning for something that either wasn’t a big deal or wasn’t his fault. That’s what I hate about these episodes.

From what I saw last night, this episode was negatively received, so I'm going into this with low expectations (although I already had low expectations prior).

Thoughts as I Watch Live:
- Hey, its Arthur Crandall & Gabbo, feel like its been a while since we've seen them
- Hey, its Greta, was worried she was forgotten about over her brother/step-brother Dieter (especially after Dieter's questline in TSTO)
- NAIMA!!! You can only see the bottom of her face, but glad to see that she won't just be mentioned
- That Duff Lite joke did make me laugh
- Curious about the Springfield Academy Museum
- The Hans Moleman did make me chuckle
- That Ned Flanders jingle was nostalgic
- The Gerald & Maggie rivalry continues
- The Award stuff is pretty funny
- Marge certainly wins the award for the Season imo
- Wait, the Academy stuff was a dream? That, does sort of kill the award stuff for me
- SLH & Grampa talking to each other was cute
- Oh, Larry's urn is a nice bit of continuity
- God, I will continue to hate Moe
- Homer fixing Marge's "Loos Hair" was adorable
- Another Comic Book Guy relative
- Man, Mr. Burns voice has definitely gone downhill, he's starting to sound similar to Jacqueline (who herself has seemingly gotten worse, although I didn't mind much).
- I do wish Waylon Smithers dyed his whole hair pink and not just the top, it looks super off
- Homer saving the plant before a Nuclear Meltdown was pretty cool
- Why did Homer not mention Charlie? Just like Sam, Charlie is too forgotten about
- Hey there YES Guy
- While their roles are pretty minor, I do like Bart, Lisa's & Maggie's moments in the episode
- The fact that Springfield PD have donuts in the trunk of the car its pretty funny
- Seriously, I thought we were done with Moe's crush on Marge
- The Moe song is pretty weird
- That end scene is pretty wholesome

Overall Thoughts: 6/10 - Meh
Honestly, I don't hate the episode as much as I thought I would, if anything, its more boring than bad for me. Perhaps going into this episode with low expectations and knowing Jean's track record probably contributed to me finding it more boring than hateable. At the same time, I am surprised my recent misgivings regarding Al Jean didn't affect my opinion on the episode.

I will say in regards to Marge's voice, I didn't mind it in this episode, there have been episodes this season were I felt like it was worse, but there are episodes where it has been better, namely the Omine episodes.

Regarding Maya...I honestly have zero fate she will return, we're never going to see her reappear again. We might have Larry's Urn and Naima, but we won't be seeing Maya. If anything, I'd say its more likely we'd see Carl & Naima get married more than Moe & Maya. And if there is a marriage episode, I'm expecting a situation like My Big Fat Geek Wedding

I did think I'd have more to say, but for the moment, I don't. Curious what next week's episode will be like, I'd say I am a tad optimistic for it, but not my much.

Update: I have since found out that Al Jean's tweet from last night was not a scrapped episode (or a fake image) and was in fact an announcement of a Season 36 episode. How I didn't notice that until after I posted my review I don't know.

Last edited:
Back