Favourite Bart & Lisa moment?

Jackomon

Animation Fanatic
Out of curiosity, what is your favourite sibling moment form Bart & Lisa?

Personally for me, its from Bart vs. Thanksgiving, namely Bart & Lisa's interaction on the roof towards the end of the episode. It just shows that Bart, despite his personality, truly cares for his sister and is protective of her (that proactiveness of her shown in episodes such as Bart the General for example). Another one would be the only thing I like about the episode, Manger Things, that been the scene from Bart & Lisa saying "I Love You", its pretty adorable imo.

OOO Good question! I like the one in Bart vs. Thanksgiving as well, but my favorite is probably the final scene in Bart Sells His Soul where Lisa gets him his soul back, a super sweet and classic moment IMO :heart:

The end of Separate Vocations.

1713591888866.png

Over and over throughout the series, we've been shown that Bart is pretty much willing to do anything as long as he isn't punished for it. His side of Separate Vocations demonstrates this in tune when he finds the "fun" in law enforcement, and becomes a jack-booted thug who makes all the other kids miserable simply because he finds the process entertaining, and he doesn't have to face any repercussions of Skinner's discipline.

And yet, when he learns Lisa, who he has barely even interacted with to this point, is in a position to be expelled....what does he do?

He willingly throws that opportunity away entirely and takes the blame for her actions, because, in his own words, Lisa's future is more valuable than his will ever be.

That one moment says more about the relationship of the siblings than over a dozen Jean feuds ever will.

Honestly there's just way too many to narrow it down to just one or two favourite moments between these two for me. Have I mentioned how much I love Lisa and Bart as a pairing before...? They just work so well together as all the lovely moments everyone else already mentioned makes clear and it's not just the adorable scenes like Bart spending all his money to buy Lisa the record in Round Springfield or "Great game, Lis", "Great game, Bart" at the end of Lisa on Ice, but the times when they're rivalrous and squabbling like their conflict in Summer of 4 Ft. 2 are usually fun to watch as well.

One thing I will say though is that nothing gets an actual, audible "aww" out of me like a Bart/Lisa hug. Always sweet and always melts my heart no matter how many times it happens!
1229103.jpg

:aww:

I did love Bart buying Lisa Bleeding Gums’ record with his settlement money because she was the only one who believed him when he said he was sick in “Round Springfield”. Like “Separate Vocations,” it feels more genuine when Bart does something selfless on his own and not because he has to make up for something shitty he did.

Little Bart reacting with joy and amazement when baby Lisa says her first word is cute. There are many big moments like that but I like the little sibling moments too such as Bart and Lisa playing what's that smell, enjoying being the two family members with super special (decoder) rings, talking Flanders into giving them spending money for raking leaves when he's already done with that chore, etc.

I did love Bart buying Lisa Bleeding Gums’ record with his settlement money because she was the only one who believed him when he said he was sick in “Round Springfield”. Like “Separate Vocations,” it feels more genuine when Bart does something selfless on his own and not because he has to make up for something shitty he did.
I would argue that's in many way the significance. Bart's heart usually only goes so far as him making amends for when he realizes he's hurt someone personally, but with Lisa? He might be bicker with her often, and she might be subject to his malice in multiple stories....but she's also the one person he's both entirely willing to listen to the advice of, and show genuine kindness and selflessness towards.

Just because he's a bad kid doesn't mean he's unable to care about people.

"Lis, this is the hardest thing for me to say as your brother...you're not ugly."

Also, I question the canonical validity of the Disney parody episodes, but the way they worked together to save their puppies in "Two Dozen & One Greyhounds" was pretty awesome.

Hard to pick an absolute favorite moment, usually in this case I go with what comes to mind first. I talked about their little scene together in 'Lisa the Beauty Queen' in the meta thread (also it's just been mentioned by the user above me so there you go, aha), so aside from that... maybe Lisa buying Bart's soul and giving it back to him ? I mean, the sight of Bart at his most vulnerable and afraid always gets my feelings, for a ten year old boy it just feels like such a tragic thing to happen, so Lisa suddenly helping him to find what he thought was gone for good, and God knows where or in whose hands, is as heartwarming as classic Simpsons can get as far as I'm concerned.

The end of Bart Sells His Soul
Screenshot_20240420_181406.jpg
There's an especially beautiful way this episode and Bart Gets An F relate to Bart's personality. In both episodes we see both the more sensitive side of him and the less worried side of him; the boy with bad behavior, mischievous and proud of himself. He is Bart, the popular and fun kid in class who always looks for ways to rebel against any form of authority. The beginning and the end are mirrored both ways: with the boy up to mischief as usual, seeking his own enjoyment, and the carefree way in which he sells his soul to his best friend when they discuss the concept of the soul.

And what is the soul for Bart? Well, it's just the reason why his friend would rat him out to Reverend Lovejoy. It's just a story for children. One of the many lies that parents tell their children to scare them (he clearly doesn't take what his friend says seriously).

And this is where Lisa comes in.

Bart thought what his friend said about the soul was nonsense. And his sister though? She is simply someone naive. He was just leaving the scene after accepting that he was scammed out of the five dollars. While his sister tries to explain the concept of the soul to him. He still doesn't realize how important that is, until events begin to happen to him that make him question it.

Who is the first (and only person) to accompany Bart in this? His sister. She is the first to notice the loss of "his sister's humanity", she is the one who tries to cheer him up and is the one who constantly reminds him of his mistake. And that's why the ending is cathartic: seeing this selfless child rethink the definition he had of the soul. It's no longer just nonsense. It's a battle against himself, something he doesn't fully know, but he recognizes the importance of it once he loses it.

Like Bart Gets An F, he has a change of attitude once he becomes aware of the consequences of his actions. And just like Bart Gets An F. It is a battle that he is fighting alone; his family sees the effort and the fact that he is trying, of course. However, the catharsis comes from that fact: that we know that he is trying, when we see that he does care and we know how bad he is having it. In Bart Gets An F his family recognizes that effort, however in Bart Sells His Soul they do not. No one knows what he's going through and the moment he explodes his father simply sees it as an opportunity to eat his spaghetti (and Marge is just there). It is an internal battle against himself. The others are ignorant or simply see him as a monster (Bart trying to negotiate with Ralph to give him his soul).

It is the moment in which this child, carefree about life, collapses and cries; the vulnerable side of him, childish and scared of losing and not being able to find (or hell the fact of not knowing who could have it) that concept that her sister calls soul. As uncertain and unknown as it can be. It's the moment she simply asks for help from the last person she would ask for help, God himself. It's such a powerful moment and it is because we know what Bart feels: we know he's alone throughout the episode fighting this philosophical struggle, we know what he feels about losing his soul, and we know he feels completely isolated from everyone else. (the entire part of the island). And his sister is that ray of light - the solution to his problem -one of the most beautiful acts to come out of their relationship. Unexpected as it may be, but what it adds is knowing that Lisa was always the first (and only) person who accompanied Bart throughout this episode. She may have always had the plan to help her brother and we don't know, but the point is that she was always there and the ending cements that.

Bart: "There's no change in your piggy bank."
Lisa: "Not in any of the ones you know about."
small.jpg

We also can't talk about Bart/Lisa moments without mentioning the moment that started everything.
hug (1).jpg

I love them so much :heart:
One thing I will say though is that nothing gets an actual, audible "aww" out of me like a Bart/Lisa hug. Always sweet and always melts my heart no matter how many times it happens!
1229103.jpg

:aww:
I am a firm BELIEVER that Bart is Lisa's best friend and vice versa. Milhouse may be the friend imposed by the series, but the only people Bart and Lisa need in their respective lives are each other.

I mean, he and she will always be there to support and listen to each other. Has Bart ever gotten drunk with Milhouse and told him about his failures as a father? No? Case closed then.
Holidays_of_Future_Passed.jpg

I am a firm BELIEVER that Bart is Lisa's best friend and vice versa. Milhouse may be the friend imposed by the series, but the only people Bart and Lisa need in their respective lives are each other.

I mean, he and she will always be there to support and listen to each other. Has Bart ever gotten drunk with Milhouse and told him about his failures as a father? No? Case closed then.
View attachment 8459
Oh one hundred percent agreed! It's actually a big part of why the "Lisa has no friends" thing doesn't worry me because she has already has a best friend in her big brother. As someone whose closest relationships were always with my siblings myself it just feels incredibly well-observed and real. Sometimes they fight yeah, as brothers and sisters do, but they're both each other's biggest supporters and at when push comes to shove they always have each other's backs and I truly love that.

Like, I did mention I enjoy watching their rivalrous moments before and I do think that can lead to a lot of cute and funny moments in intself (like Lisa messing with Bart by making a snowball from the freezer), but what I also meant was that I love how a well-observed moment of conflict between them like this:
1129561.jpg

Always leads to them sincerely reconciling with a lovely moment like this:
1288553.jpg

It's just so loveable and the fact that they do bicker and squabble at times makes the sweet moments of sibling love feel even more earned and real to me. :heart:

The end of Bart Sells His Soul
View attachment 8456
There's an especially beautiful way this episode and Bart Gets An F relate to Bart's personality. In both episodes we see both the more sensitive side of him and the less worried side of him; the boy with bad behavior, mischievous and proud of himself. He is Bart, the popular and fun kid in class who always looks for ways to rebel against any form of authority. The beginning and the end are mirrored both ways: with the boy up to mischief as usual, seeking his own enjoyment, and the carefree way in which he sells his soul to his best friend when they discuss the concept of the soul.

And what is the soul for Bart? Well, it's just the reason why his friend would rat him out to Reverend Lovejoy. It's just a story for children. One of the many lies that parents tell their children to scare them (he clearly doesn't take what his friend says seriously).

And this is where Lisa comes in.

Bart thought what his friend said about the soul was nonsense. And his sister though? She is simply someone naive. He was just leaving the scene after accepting that he was scammed out of the five dollars. While his sister tries to explain the concept of the soul to him. He still doesn't realize how important that is, until events begin to happen to him that make him question it.

Who is the first (and only person) to accompany Bart in this? His sister. She is the first to notice the loss of "his sister's humanity", she is the one who tries to cheer him up and is the one who constantly reminds him of his mistake. And that's why the ending is cathartic: seeing this selfless child rethink the definition he had of the soul. It's no longer just nonsense. It's a battle against himself, something he doesn't fully know, but he recognizes the importance of it once he loses it.

Like Bart Gets An F, he has a change of attitude once he becomes aware of the consequences of his actions. And just like Bart Gets An F. It is a battle that he is fighting alone; his family sees the effort and the fact that he is trying, of course. However, the catharsis comes from that fact: that we know that he is trying, when we see that he does care and we know how bad he is having it. In Bart Gets An F his family recognizes that effort, however in Bart Sells His Soul they do not. No one knows what he's going through and the moment he explodes his father simply sees it as an opportunity to eat his spaghetti (and Marge is just there). It is an internal battle against himself. The others are ignorant or simply see him as a monster (Bart trying to negotiate with Ralph to give him his soul).

It is the moment in which this child, carefree about life, collapses and cries; the vulnerable side of him, childish and scared of losing and not being able to find (or hell the fact of not knowing who could have it) that concept that her sister calls soul. As uncertain and unknown as it can be. It's the moment she simply asks for help from the last person she would ask for help, God himself. It's such a powerful moment and it is because we know what Bart feels: we know he's alone throughout the episode fighting this philosophical struggle, we know what he feels about losing his soul, and we know he feels completely isolated from everyone else. (the entire part of the island). And his sister is that ray of light - the solution to his problem -one of the most beautiful acts to come out of their relationship. Unexpected as it may be, but what it adds is knowing that Lisa was always the first (and only) person who accompanied Bart throughout this episode. She may have always had the plan to help her brother and we don't know, but the point is that she was always there and the ending cements that.

Bart: "There's no change in your piggy bank."
Lisa: "Not in any of the ones you know about."
View attachment 8457
I also just want to say how beautiful this post is! Bart Sells His Soul is a truly wonderful episode (almost certainly my favourite Bart episode) and you've described what makes it so perfectly! I only wish I could express my thoughts on this show so evocatively so truly, hats off to you sir!

And I want to say as well just how lovely this thread is as a whole! I've really enjoyed reading everyone's responses here and being reminded of all these sweet, adorable moments from the show. It's genuinely warming my heart and uplifting for me to look through at a time when, honestly, I really needed to be uplifted so yeah, love you guys! :aww:

Last edited:
I'm going with the scene on the rooftop in "Bart vs. Thanksgiving". Very sweet moment between the two siblings.

I also love all their interactions in "My Sister, My Sitter".

Lots of them.

If I try to choose the most emotional one, it would probably be the ending of 'Lisa on Ice'. Flashbacks in cascades that ended with hugging are priceless. And by the time Lisa drops her ice cream and Bart gives her his extra scoop, an avalanche of feels is already felt. And indeed, no matter how many years have passed, or how many times this episode has been reviewed, it still holds power.

15437.jpg

"Great game, Lis.", "Great game, Bart."

But if I try to choose the most laidback one, I'll go, of course, with 'Theme from Shaft'.

547658.jpg

"Shaft", " You're damn right."

Back