View Poll Results: How was this?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5: So good, it saved my tased raccoon's life!

12 18.75%
  • 4/5: Great veterinary service!

18 28.13%
  • 3/5: OK job from Lisa.

18 28.13%
  • 2/5: Eh... It's better than being a crime scene cleaner, i guess

12 18.75%
  • 1/5: I feel increasingly dead inside after watching this

4 6.25%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R&R: "Lisa the Veterinarian" (VABF08)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

insert usertitle here The Easter Egg Council Creep's Avatar
    Blog Entries

R&R: "Lisa the Veterinarian" (VABF08)

MARCH 6, 2016
    SEASON 27 EPISODE 15
    PREVIOUS R&R
    NEXT R&R

After performing CPR on a tased raccoon, Lisa discovers her calling to be veterinarian and becomes an intern at the local office, but learns a tough lesson when her neglected class hamster dies. Meanwhile, Marge moonlights as a crime scene cleaner for a little extra money, and the trauma of the gory scenes make her increasingly dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Igor View Post
    wait wtf, i think i accidentally made my place communist
    SEASON 28 RATINGS
    Monty Burn's Fleeing Circus 4/10, Friends And Family 3.5/10, The Town 2.5/10, Treehouse of Horror XXVII 7/10, Trust But Clarify 7.5/10, There Will be Buds 5/10, Havana Wild Weekend 6/10, Dad Behavior 2/10 The Last Traction Hero 7.5/10 The Nightmare After Krustmas 5/10, Pork And Burns 7.5/10, The Great Phatsby 1.5/10, Fatzcarraldo 3/10, The Cad And The Hat 4/10, Kamp Krustier 4/10, 22 For 30 4/10, A Father's Watch 3.5/10, The Caper Chase 4/10, Looking For Mr. Goodbart 2/10, Moho House 3.5/10, Dogtown 4/10
    Average rating= 4.5/10

Check out my music reviews!
    My Sonic reviews!
    And my Pokemon reviews!
    VOTED 3RD MOST IMPROVED USER IN THE NHC AWARDS
    VOTED 2ND WORST USER IN THE NHC AWARDS
    VOTED 2ND WORST BLOGGER IN THE NHC AWARDS

2. Thumbs Up To This Post by: ataeaf, peyrin

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

Today's NASCAR race started late because of rain this morning, and Fox's coverage is running long as a result. The episode may start late tonight.
    Update: see three posts down
    Last edited by That Don Guy; 03-06-2016 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Added update

Blog Entries

only 30 laps to go, barring a huge crash or something that ain't much.

Blog Entries

Race over, Keselowski won after Busch had problems. Anyway, the episode will air at its normal time I guess.
    Rest assured that I was on the Internet within minutes, registering my disgust throughout the world.

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

Update: Fox padded the NASCAR postrace show to 7:30 Eastern and pulled Bordertown from tonight's schedule. The Simpsons should start on time tonight after all.

Chatting Simpsons Since 1993 Brad Lascelle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
    Update: Fox padded the NASCAR postrace show to 7:30 Eastern and pulled Bordertown from tonight's schedule. The Simpsons should start on time tonight after all.
    Man, they must really hate Bordertown.
    SEASON 28 RANKINGS
    Monty Burns' Fleeing Circus - 1.5/5 / Friends and Family - 3.5/5 / The Town - 3/5
    THOH XXVII = Dry Hard - 1.5/5 / BFF R.I.P. - 2/5 / Moefinger - 1/5
    Trust But Clarify - 3.5/5 / There Will Be Buds - 5/5 / Havana Wild Weekend - 2/5
    Dad Behavior - 0/5 / The Last Traction Hero - 2.5/5
    The Nightmare After Krustmas - 0.5/5 / Pork and Burns - 2/5
    The Great Phatsby - 4.5/5 / Fatzcarraldo - 2.5/5 / The Cad and the Hat - 1.5/5
    Kamp Krustier - 2/5 / 22 for 30 - 4/5 / A Father's Watch - 2.5/5 / Caper Chase - 1.5/5
    Looking for Mr. Goodbart - 2/5 / Moho House - 2/5 / Dogtown - 1.5/5

Ten-second FOX News promo always comes first! (counts to ten, and the show begins) I'll post my review once it's done.

Anyone else notice at one shot, the veterinarian's hand holding the cricket container slides up off-screen rather cheaply? It looked almost like Flash animation!
    I still have a nasty feeling the show may soon be switching to Flash animation full-time, and not just the intro.

Now for the other FOX News promo where the weather part is more important!
    Last edited by wiley207; 03-06-2016 at 05:22 PM.

insert usertitle here The Easter Egg Council Creep's Avatar
    Blog Entries

* Nice, short couch gag.
    ** I'm finding Nemo!
    ** Tiny fish that swim up weiner.
    * Rental bathing suit.
    ** Thug Life jewelry
    Closing Thoughts:
    Decent episode so far. 7/10.
    * Homer's NFL draft
    End of act 2, a lot worse. 1/10.
    Marge's voice is saddening.
    TERRIBLE! 1/10. Nothing funny!
    Closing thoughts.
    Really poor, yet again.
    The plot was the only good part, it was a lot less dark than I thought it would be.
    However, the humor was really poor. The first act was good, but it fell off, later. Only 1 good joke in the last 2 acts.
    Marge's voice also continues it's decline.
    overall, 3/10, 2/5 for the poll.

Blog Entries

this was pretty poor. i thought the water park first act wasn't awful actually but the episode quickly drowned in a series of dull Vet Gags and the conflict felt really contrived.

also The Animation Of Wiggum Getting Hit W/ A Snowball Was So Bad

Quote Originally Posted by ilovebender.com View Post
    I love women.

Has glower power Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wow, that was excellent. Both plots were developed fairly well, which is a rarity in episodes with two plots nowadays. I think maybe Lisa was a little TOO smart in this episode, but they did a nice job of not having her go into full-doctor mode right away, instead building her up to it to make it a bit more believable. The subplot with Marge was fun too, and I liked her slightly off behavior at home as a result of her job. I think the episode was funnier than average too, with a fair amount of jokes hitting. This might be the best of the season after Halloween of Horror. 5/5

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Lascelle View Post
    I'd say they must also hate "Bob's Burgers." The way it's March, and they've only aired nine episodes since the season premiere in September, due to frequently being preempted by "The OT" and NFL football.

Chatting Simpsons Since 1993 Brad Lascelle's Avatar

I really wanted to like this episode more than I actually did. Unfortunately, Julie's voice delivery was really lacking this week due to subpar voice direction... and that really hurt the B-plot. Many of the gags throughout the episode were repetitive whether it was Nelson being pathetic, Homer doing something stupid, the assorted vet crises / crime scene clean-ups. Plympton's couch gag was just plain dumb.

The build to the resolution felt weak and I didn't much care for Bart continuing to question Lisa's arrogant behavior while the hamster was being neglected. Yeardley tried to carry the weight here but it all kind of collapsed on itself.

Shame too... because the first act was pretty solid. That said, I expected a lot more from Vebber after The Book Job... but hey, Selman didn't showrun this one so what can you do.

Milhouse once mentioned a city very close to mine.
    Blog Entries

This felt like a first draft of the script - or maybe a story adapted from Simpsons Comics. A lack of cohesion and generally low stakes make this one less than a standout.
    I'm surprised that Lisa as a vet hasn't already been done, given her love for animals, but this could have been developed better had there not been so much time at the water park or with the nonsensical couch gag. Lisa becomes arrogant from her work and Bart calls her on it. So what? Lisa did everything right at her job (and, in fact, the doctor was much more permissive for an eight-year-old to practically take over his practice while he slept and drank tea). She neglects the class pet, she and the vet operate and Nibbles (as a strange continuity nod as being the same hamster from Skinner's Sense of Snow and She of Little Faith) doesn't make it. Lisa learns... humility? And Bart pulls the same prank at the end as before. Marge's storyline had potential too and I think was a little more entertaining, though I don't think her gradual descent into apathy was well put-together. This episode is quite a bit of missed potential.
    Always happy to meet new fans of The Simpsons. I'm especially interested in the dubs of the show, the German dub in particular.
    Incidentally, there's someone on Boards and Rec also named Lance Uppcercut. That's not me.... that is to say, that is not the same person.
    Wii U / 3DS ID: KleinerUndGemein
    PS3 ID: KleinerUndGemein
    Steam ID: SneakTheSnake
    GameFAQs profile: SneakTheSnake

A Lonely, Insignificant Speck Insanity Pepper's Avatar
    A Has-Been Planet Orbited by a Cold, Indifferent Sun

The subplot here really should have been the main plot. The main plot was okay, but the subplot had a lot more potential that needed more time to be realized (not that it necessarily would have anyway). Marge dying inside happened almost instantaneously; one scene, she was herself, and the next, she was basically a zombie. It seems like she should have gone through more of an emotional process, since I would think she would go through a period of difficulty with coping with her trauma before becoming that jaded. Especially someone with such delicate sensibilities as Marge. The main plot was executed better, but there was a lot about it that was kind of hard to buy. Wouldn't Lisa have had to take some kind of class before getting that job? Also, every vet's office I've ever been to has had multiple employees. It's hard to imagine a vet doing his/her job without an assistant of some sort (which he appeared not to have had before hiring Lisa), especially during operations. But I guess he did all that by himself in addition to being the receptionist and everything else for his office. My point is that it shouldn't have been that easy for Lisa to get that job, especially considering it likely violates child labor laws. Anyway, aside from all that stuff, the stuff with the hamster at the end was kind of rushed, but I did like how it tied together with the main plot, and I didn't find the emotion completely phoned in, at least not at first. Overall, the main issue was with the subplot, because there was a lot more wasted potential there. Relatively competent episode though, and despite the flaws with the subplot, it did manage to hold my attention relatively well. 4.5/10

6th best thing to do to gel. Smear-Gel's Avatar

Season 27 Ratings: Every Man's Dream - 5/10 | Cue Detective - 9/10 | Puffless - 7/10 | Halloween of Horror - 10/10 | Treehouse of Horror XXV - 7/10 | Friend with Benefit - 7/10 | Lisa with an S - needs rewatch | Barthood - 10/10 will watch again | The Girl Code - 9/10 | Teenage Mutant Milk-Caused Hurdles - 7/10 | Much Apu About Something - 8/10 | Love Is in the Air: needs rewatch | Gal of Constant Sorrow: 8/10 | Lisa the Veterenarian: 7/10 | The Marge-ian Chronicles - 9/10 | The Burns Cage - 8/10 all credibility lost | How Lisa Got Her Marge Back - 6/10 | Fland Canyon - 8/10 | To Courier with Love - 9/10 | Simprovised - 7/10 | Orange Is the New Yellow - 8/10

Bob's Burgers Season Rankings: 3>6>5=4=2>1
    Fairly Oddparents Season Rankings: 4>3>6>8>2=10 (so far)>1>0>7>5>9

Blog Entries

Pretty unremarkable again. I think what bothered me most about tonight's ep was how overly conveniently some plot points fell into place. Like, why did every animal Lisa treat get better instantly? And what does Bart have to gain from constantly opposing Lisa? Even the literal dovetail at the end was kinda forced - two seconds of Lisa and Marge hugging really shouldn't be enough for both of them to get over the conflict that had been building the whole episode.

There wasn't anything too terrible from tonight's ep, though, except maybe that lousy joke when Lisa first goes to the vet's office and the vet asks "do you know HOW many people have walked in here asking to become a practicing vet?" Never a good sign when a subversion joke has been done so much that it's predictable too. Barring that, I liked the water park set piece at the start and the time they devoted to developing Lisa's place as a vet (actually showing several scenes where she's doing things instead of defaulting to the montage).

3/5 on poll. Here's hoping that upcoming Selman one will break the track record of mediocrity.

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Lascelle View Post
    Not as much as the affiliates hate having shows that start 15 minutes late, especially when too many viewers record them without taking the shift into account.

As for Bob's Burgers, Fox makes up for it with two episodes on May 22, and reportedly a second new episode will air on April 3 in place of what would have been a Family Guy repeat (which, like The Simpsons, has to insert a few repeats and pre-emptions into March and April to fit 22 episodes into 35 or so weeks).

TV Rating: TV-PG-DLSV
    Overseas Animation: Akom

When was the last time there was a couch opening without any Simpsons in it?

There's a Repo Depot van at the accident scene.

When Bart mentioned the "wiener fish," why did the girls get out of line?

When Chief Wiggum mentions that Marge cleaned up a homeless man who says that he's still crazy, it looked as if there was supposed to be something involving him that followed it, but was cut for one of the usual reasons things get cut.

Springfield allows people to own ferrets, unlike California. (Seriously, there is a petition in California to put removing the ferret ban up to a vote.)

The NHL Draft Homer is watching shows a Springfield Ice-o-topes backdrop, but the Ice-o-topes are a minor league team.

Shouldn't the ceiling fan be in the kitchen?

Mrs. Prince's voice sounds like it changed. She has spoken before; for example, when Bart stopped her from selling a box of memorabilia at The Android's Dungeon that resulted in Bart being banned.

Bart is wearing his Lucky Red Cap.

Remember Me As I Was 1010011010's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Act 1:
    -Couch gag okay. Premise not as memorable as Bill's previous one's, but filler's filler.
    -Bart's prank with the speaker was alright. Waterpark opening overall was okay.
    -Oof that Wiggum scene was animated choppily. Some 5fps shit there.

Act 2:
    -The goat ramming the kids and Homer's terminator vision were funny.
    -Mmm that gore. *Marge continues cleaning barely fazed*
    -Julie sounds worse than usual this ep.

Act 3:
    -Nibbles dies, Marge and Lisa have a mini emotional scene, and the plots are all wrapped up I guess.
    -Oh, and Sam Simon is executive producer again apparently, good for him.

Don't really have anything to say, tired I guess. Just felt really boring honestly, neither plot got much interest from me until Act 3, and by then it was just rushing to finish them, Lisa no longer a vet I guess cause she finally couldn't save an animal, and Marge stopping cause she can feel again I guess? (her crying did sound pretty painful)

4.5/10, or 2/5 for the poll.
    Just because I'm stupider than them, they think they're smarter than me!
    Simpsons Season 27 Ratings:
    Every Man's Dream-4.8/10 Cue Detective-6/10 Puffless-7/10 Halloween of Horror-8.4/10 Treehouse of Horror XXVI-(4.5, 5, 3.5) 4.25/10 Friend With Benefit-5/10 Lisa With An 'S'-5.5/10 Paths of Glory--/10 Barthood--/10 The Girl Code--/10 Teenage Mutant Milk-Caused Hurdles--/10 Much Apu About Something--/10 Gal of Constant Sorrow--/10 Love Is in the N2-O2-Ar-CO2-Ne-He-CH4--/10 Lisa the Veterinarian--/10 The Marge-ian Chronicles--/10 The Burns Cage--/10 How Lisa Got Her Marge Back--/10 Fland Canyon--/10 Simprovised--/10 To Courier With Love--/10 Orange is the New Yellow--/10
    Futurama Season 7B Ratings:
    2-D Blacktop-7.5/10 Fry and Leela's Big Fling-7.9/10 T.: The Terrestrial-8.2/10 Forty Percent Leadbelly-6.8/10 The Inhuman Torch-8.4/10 Saturday Morning Fun Pit-(9, 7, 8.5) 8.2/10 Calculon 2.0-8.7/10 Assie Come Home-8.5/10 Leela and the Genestalk-7.2/10 Game of Tones-9.2/10 Murder on The Planet Express-9/10 Stench and Stenchibility-8.5/10 Meanwhile-9.5/10
    Jumping the Shark since 1998...
    Alternate Ending Winner of NHC Survivor Season 1

6th best thing to do to gel. Smear-Gel's Avatar

This was an episode that felt like it had two A plots that were forced to get cut down. The waterpark scene felt the most complete. And was the best part because of it.

But the other two felt like they had to be rushed to get to the middle where the actual stories needed to start (Marge getting to the point of feeling dead inside and Lisa getting arrogant.)

Lisa's plot did better, and I can totally see it, and I liked Bart looking out for her in an antagonistic way again, like last episode. Is this thier new dynamic? I love it. Better than them seemingly hating each other or barely interacting like other, lesser episodes.

Shame about Marge;s plot though. Not much happened, which sucks because that's the one I was looking forward to.

Great character in the vet. Nice jokes too.

I dunno, 7/10. Gonna put a 4 for the pool since 3/5 seems too low for me, even though 4/5 also feels too high.

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This episode just bugged me. Lisa was annoying as hell and Julie's voice was bad, and I don't normally complain about the VA's.

Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

Blog Entries

It was decent but nothing great . I liked seeing Lisa take care of animals but the rest of the episode was quite dull. Though I don't believe Mr. Burns would let Lisa confiscate his hound so easily or how Lisa was an animal miracle worker. Subplot was unremarkable. 3/5

RIP Nibbles

Likasa rules! BloodySimpsonChibi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I wanted to make this thread! Stupid AT&T!

Anyway this episode gets a 10/10 from me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaine View Post
    I'd imagine patting Lisa on the head would sting, damn kids with their spiky heads.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I thought that was a GatorGod post for a second.

Blog Entries

Not entirely sure what to think of this episode. To start off, I like how they made this episode focussed on both Lisa and Marge who I see as the 2 underrated Simpson family members. Homer didn't play much of a role other than being a supporting character in Marge's plot, and some fat guy jokes in the first act. I liked how Bart integrated with Lisa's plot, somewhat being the voice of reason. The couch gag left me rather confused, I don't even remember a couch gag where the family doesn't appear at all. Some nice animation, but couch gags need to be more than that, rather then being the ground where artists do nothing but show their work without any real jokes to work with.

I'd say the first act is the best part of this episode, some jokes I liked and a couple I liked less. I'm actually suprised they didn't do any callbacks to the waterpark in Brush With Greatness, especially when Homer was afraid of getting stuck into a waterslide again. Am I the only one who thought Marge's punishment to expel Bart to the kiddy pool was a bit to harsh? All he did was spraying Lisa's hair wet, didn't seem like such a huge deal. I like how they designed the ''Upstream Extreme'' attraction, would be a nice decoration in Tapped Out. It felt a bit unbelievable how all male adults would fall into Bart's prank, but the snow scene was pretty funny. Lisa saving the raccoon is a good way to start her main plot with, though I'm pretty sure she has kissed more than the raccoon after she said her first ''real kiss'' or something.

So now we see Nibbles back, I should feel ashamed to have forgotten that he's the same hamster we've seen during some Scully episodes. His episodes were rather classic. The new doctor was a decent character with some good lines, but his jokes feel the same when he uses a line like 'you remind me of a certain young man'', and then not referring to himself. The build-up with Lisa taking care of the animals was rather good, being more described as a curious yet way to intelligent little girl. So now we get to Martins birthday where apparently a little gag with the banner on the house points something out, I presume his previous birthday in a classic episode. Good joke with Nelson stealing his jokes with a bigger present. I chuckled a bit with Ralph both mistaking a goat for an elephant and peanuts for shrimps, and the goat ''playing'' with the kids. Lisa has gotten quite arrogant at that point, with Bart liking all to much to point that out. I wouldn't say she got annoying to watch but they could've done her reactions or atleast her transition to her arrogance better. Didn't take long to end the episode with the death of Nibbles atleast, actually a pretty sad moment. And a nice Marge/Lisa moment to wrap up both of their plots. A nice tribute to Nibbles aswell.

As for Marge's plot, it felt a lot less developed. The sound of its premise made it look promising, giving how unusual it is for Marge to deal with gory and frightening scenes. It could've either been wacky or more serious, yet it was hard to tell which one they were going for. The way they started this plot wasn't all to bad, but they probably could've gone without Marge declining the first offer to save some more time. It feels like she didn't need the reason to work just for a new ceiling fan. Cleaning things up has always been her thing, which could've been motivation enough. But then for the rest of her plot, it basically consists of her cleaning up the motel room where for the first time we actually got to see some gore, and her turning emotionless. It felt like it just happened in a sudden, in one scene she was normal and then suddenly emotionless. The best way they could've built her plot more is to have it slowly progress from only a bit of gore to just more and gruesome with every single visit she does, it would've worked as a montage aswell. Her plot ended up nicely with Lisa's plot.

Its an average episode that had potential, but didn't fully live up to. Lisa's plot is good, but Marge's plot felt to undeveloped. Its good to see Marge and Lisa more in the spotlight though, kinda wished this would've been a Matt Selman episode.

3/5
    Episodes rated best and worst from each season:
    1: Krusty Gets Busted/Homer's Night Out 2: The Way We Was/Bart's Dog Gets an F 3: Colonel Homer/Dog of Death 4: Marge vs. The Monorail/So It's Come to This: A Simpsons Clip Show 5: Cape Feare/Bart Gets An Elephant 6: Treehouse of Horror V/Another Simpsons Clip Show 7: Mother Simpson/Homerpalooza 8: You Only Move Twice/The Canine Mutiny 9: Lisa's Sax/The Two Mrs. Nahasapeemapetilons 10: Lisa Gets an A/Sunday Cruddy Sunday 11: Behind The Laughter/Beyond Blunderdome 12: Trilogy of Error/The Computer Wore Menace Shoes 13: I Am Furious Yellow/Homer the Moe 14: The Dad Who Knew Too Little/Large Marge 15: The Way We Weren't/Diatribe of a Mad Housewife 16: Thank God Its Doomsday/Mommie Beerest 17: Marge's Son Poisoning/Bonfire of the Manatees 18: Marge Gamer/Revenge is Best Served Three Times 19: Treehouse of Horror XVIII/That 90's Show 20: Gone Maggie Gone/Coming To Homerica 21: O Brother, Where Bart thou?/The Devil Wears Nada 22: Homer Scissorhands/The Fool Monty 23: Holidays of Future Passed/Moe Goes From Rags To Riches 24: Adventures In Baby-Getting/Whiskey Business 25: Brick Like Me/White Christmas Blues 26: Bart's New Friend/The Musk Who Fell to Earth

Season ranking: 3 > 6 > 5 > 4 > 7 > 8 > 2 > 1 > 10 > 9 > 15 > 13 > 12 > 14 > 16 > 20 > 22 > 11 > 17 > 19 > 26 > 25 > 24 > 23 > 18 > 21

Origin account to play The Simpsons Tapped Out: Roccaine

Moe is their leader. Captain_Smiley's Avatar

When Lisa goes for something she goes for it hard.

Blog Entries

the best episode in years. i don't know about you guys but i have a feeling the simpsons is entering a new golden age

100000/10

I have to admit that I honestly did feel a bit sad at Nibbles funeral when they showed those pictures from previous episodes he had been seen in.

30. Thumbs Up To This Post by: ataeaf

Has glower power Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

He's chewed through his last ball sack.

I guess I just don't really get what the conflict was in this episode: Lisa finds something she's great at and passionate about and then all of a sudden it's bad for some reason? She neglected Nibbles, which was obviously bad, but there was no sign of that before that moment--no sign that she was doing anything wrong. Bart's judging Lisa seemed to come out of nowhere other than his usual jealousy of her, but in this episode it seemed like we were supposed to agree with him (and it was hard to, considering that it...well, came out of nowhere). I didn't really buy the "arrogance" angle either.

Not much to say about the subplot. It was decent, but sort of bizarre and not really that funny (the body parts falling from the ceiling was almost THOH-esque). And yeah, Marge's crying voice sounded like Julie Kavner was dying and her hugging Lisa wasn't much of a resolution.

Some small things I liked:

"The heart is the seat of love, Lisa, if you had gone to veterinary school, you'd know that!"
    "Wild Clown Bourbon" (and "itty-bitty booze light")

Also, Ralph was overused in this episode.

Eh. 5.5/10. I laughed at some small things and I really liked Nibbles' funeral scene. Rest of the episode was pretty blah.

Thread Information