The Hate-Filled Simpsons 'Fan' Website That Inspired Comic Book Guy

Also random aside maybe, but it's kind of startling to me that my account is older than all of the ones @B-Boy mentioned (plus his and Kangdos' as well). I know I've not been active all that time, but the fact that I first joined here nearly two years earlier than someone like @Brad Lascelle just seems bonkers. Just how old am I!?
I may be part of "the old guard" of Simpsons fandom as it were (along with @That Don Guy) but I had a semi-sabbatical from hardcore fandom just as you did. There was a multi-year stretch post-Season 11 where I largely stepped away from enthusiast circles only to venture my way back in shortly after the movie rekindled my love affair with the series and I fully caught up with what I'd missed since the Classic era.

Just how old am I!?

Can I admit something? This is funny, you're gonna laugh.

Okay, so you know back when that one banned member was flirting with you all the time? I know it was uncomfortable for you but hear me out. Okay so back then, I sort of asumed the guy was like in his late teen years because of how dumb he seemed. Of course now we know that the reason he seemed so dumb was because he was a fictional character created by someone especially to troll. But back when I did think he was a teenager, I was sometimes on the verge of pointing out how bizzare it was that he might be flirting with someone old enough to have been on these boards since he was born.

It's almost a shame he turned out te be a character and not a person because even now, I find that idea kind of funny. Maybe you don't see any humor in it since you were the center of it all, and I perfectly understand if that's the case, but yeah, it would have been a little bit funny to me.

I didn't actually realise you were such a veteran @I Love Lisa! That's awesome. Isn't it astonishing to think that the show was in its 17th/18th season way back in 2006? I was 14. The Simpsons is crazy old.
Yeah it really is an astonishing thought, especially when I consider that I was able to leave this site then come back 14 years later and it's still a current ongoing series with new episodes to discuss. The longevity of it's almost unbelievable! (And hey I was 14 back then too, so it seems we're about the same age!)

I may be part of "the old guard" of Simpsons fandom as it were (along with @That Don Guy) but I had a semi-sabbatical from hardcore fandom just as you did. There was a multi-year stretch post-Season 11 where I largely stepped away from enthusiast circles only to venture my way back in shortly after the movie rekindled my love affair with the series and I fully caught up with what I'd missed since the Classic era.
Ah I see. I'd say I took more than a semi-sabbatical myself though because all those years The Simpsons was just something I spoke about with friends/family or sometimes casually online (wasn't a member of any other actual fan groups or anything) until a few months ago when I thought why not dust this old account off? There was no real reason I left the fandom after all, I just sort of... fell out of the habit.

Can I admit something? This is funny, you're gonna laugh.

Okay, so you know back when that one banned member was flirting with you all the time? I know it was uncomfortable for you but hear me out. Okay so back then, I sort of asumed the guy was like in his late teen years because of how dumb he seemed. Of course now we know that the reason he seemed so dumb was because he was a fictional character created by someone especially to troll. But back when I did think he was a teenager, I was sometimes on the verge of pointing out how bizzare it was that he might be flirting with someone old enough to have been on these boards since he was born.

It's almost a shame he turned out te be a character and not a person because even now, I find that idea kind of funny. Maybe you don't see any humor in it since you were the center of it all, and I perfectly understand if that's the case, but yeah, it would have been a little bit funny to me.
Hmm I don't think "funny" is the word I'd use considering how uncomfortable that whole thing kept making me, but I do kinda know what you mean about it being funny in a not "ha ha" sort of way. I absolutely thought that guy was a clueless teenager as well (which is a big part of the reason why I put up with him for so long, thinking he just didn't know better) and I definitely had the thought of saying something like, "You know I'm possibly twice your age or something right?" Heck at points I was wondering if I was old enough to be his mother, but I figured pointing this stuff out wouldn't help anything because he must have been aware of how old I was anyway since he commented several times on how old my account is. Doesn't take a genius to work out that someone who signed up in 2006 must be at least over 30 after all and that certainly wasn't putting him off...

Also I do hope I'm not just known in these parts for being someone who got hit on by some troll! :eek:

Hmm I don't think "funny" is the word I'd use considering how uncomfortable that whole thing kept making me, but I do kinda know what you mean about it being funny in a not "ha ha" sort of way. I absolutely thought that guy was a clueless teenager as well (which is a big part of the reason why I put up with him for so long, thinking he just didn't know better) and I definitely had the thought of saying something like, "You know I'm possibly twice your age or something right?" Heck at points I was wondering if I was old enough to be his mother, but I figured pointing this stuff out wouldn't help anything because he must have been aware of how old I was anyway since he commented several times on how old my account is. Doesn't take a genius to work out that someone who signed up in 2006 must be at least over 30 after all and that certainly wasn't putting him off...

Also I do hope I'm not just known in these parts for being someone who got hit on by some troll! :eek:

I just wanna make it clear that when I say it would have been funny if the guy was a teen, it would only have been funny due to how pathetic it would have been on his part, pathetic in it's futility. It would have been like a chihuahua puppy thinking it has a chance with, like, Lassie.

Like look at this chihuahua puppy, this pathethic little runt of a half-creature. He's an eratic, clueless, helpless sad little being for whom concepts like dignity are completely alien.
1713377895740.jpeg

...and driven by pure dumb instinct he tries to attempt his luck with this mature and dignified lady. Her age have given her a grace than he is unable to even percieve. Unlike him in his repulsive youth, her many winters and summers have made her wise to the ways of life, and to the ways of fools like him. She would not look at him with anything more positive than pity, nor anything more negative than indifference. He is not even worth hating. What is there to hate within his head anyway? A hollow space, a vacuum? His mind is still too mindless for her to even have a mind about.
1713378162885.jpeg

So yeah that's why it's funny.

I just wanna make it clear that when I say it would have been funny if the guy was a teen, it would only have been funny due to how pathetic it would have been on his part, pathetic in it's futility. It would have been like a chihuahua puppy thinking it has a chance with, like, Lassie.

Like look at this chihuahua puppy, this pathethic little runt of a half-creature. He's an eratic, clueless, helpless sad little being for whom concepts like dignity are completely alien.
View attachment 8412

...and driven by pure dumb instinct he tries to attempt his luck with this mature and dignified lady. Her age have given her a grace than he is unable to even percieve. Unlike him in his repulsive youth, her many winters and summers have made her wise to the ways of life, and to the ways of fools like him. She would not look at him with anything more positive than pity, nor anything more negative than indifference. He is not even worth hating. What is there to hate within his head anyway? A hollow space, a vacuum? His mind is still too mindless for her to even have a mind about.
View attachment 8413

So yeah that's why it's funny.
Ha ha I'm not quite sure how I feel about being compared to a dog, but your poetic descriptions got a giggle out of me I have to admit. Don't know how mature, dignified or graceful I really am either, but put like this I suppose I can see where you're getting humour from looking at it from outside and laughing at him not me, but I was rather occupied with being uncomfortable in the centre of it all myself. :(

Also I do get what you mean with the chihuahua metaphor, but aww that puppy's adorable! :heart:

I do think that @Kangdos is right that the tone here is a lot more positive these days than it used to be 10+ years ago. As someone who was around back then myself I definitely remember there being much more blanket criticism of the post-classic show as a whole and it did feel like it was considered somewhat out of the ordinary to actually like it. I don't know whether that was actually true or not, but as one of those who was generally positive towards the modern show (as I still am) I did feel like I was in something of a minority in a way I really don't now.

And I'm glad that things have really changed for the more positive and led to a bit of a turnaround in some ten years. Now I joined a long, long time ago as well and I too found myself a bit more positive about post-classic Simpsons so I did feel a bit out of place sometimes, with how harsh and bitter the criticism used to be, but yeah, now things have been slowly shifting and shifting toward more of a positive opinion & from the "old guard" of fans, more of an begrudging acceptance (which I think is also worth noting).

It feels like there's a much more broad spread of opinions on the post-classic seasons now and everyone's thoughts are more individually respected whereas back in 2006-2009 it felt like if you still liked the new episodes you were typically considered to be "wrong". It was actually a really pleasant surprise for me when I came back here for the first time in 14 years and I think the more positive mood permeates the forum as a whole as well. I remember being almost scared to post in off-topic back then because I had a real feeling that that part of the board was for people who'd gone off The Simpsons and perhaps looked down on those who still watched or posted about it. Maybe that's because I was a teenager and a new user who felt sort of intimidated by the "old guard" back then, I don't know, but I genuinely felt that someone calling themselves "I Love Lisa" with Lisa pictures in her signature and all wouldn't be welcome in that half of the site and that's absolutely not true now.

I hear you. Things were a lot different with the fans back then in the mid to late 2000's with many fans who did enjoy the new episodes were either criticized for that, looked down upon or flat out ignored (and yeah, did seem like the general consensus was that then you were considered to be in the wrong), but now the board is like a different beast altogether.

And I'm glad you've found it to be such a pleasant surprise now and enjoying it a lot more than you did, because yeah, it isn't the same place as before and it shows with the general optimism and such. Criticism is still where criticism is due so it's not blind praise all the time (and I've even seen more criticism for classic episodes, I guess often by newer fans without the same strong "I grew up with this" connection to the episode, which is a bit a variety I like to see; also the classic episodes aren't all perfect), but anyhow, the criticism don't tend to be just some blatant "this sucks/is so bad" statement on how an episode or such, but it tend to be backed up by some reasoning.

There's still those who don't like the modern era Simpsons but a majority of those either don't seem talk much of the show (and focusing on other subjects) or have pretty much gone away/moved on (but there are still some like @Kangdos around, but he's pretty respectful and far from a troll), but I'd say the vocal loudness of those who do enjoy and like modern Simpsons and love to discuss/debate it and whatnot have gotten stronger, with their voice being louder than the haters (and have essentially drowned them out) and they've essentially taken over in a sense (and having eternal modern Simpsons proponent @Brad Lascelle essentially taking charge certainly has helped).

I mean, we even welcome specific nutty fans of a certain character: I bet that if someone had been that into Sherri & Terri or Chalmers some 15 years ago, they would've been mocked or chastized/laughed at, but here we now welcome and accept these fans).

Also random aside maybe, but it's kind of startling to me that my account is older than all of the ones @B-Boy mentioned (plus his and Kangdos' as well). I know I've not been active all that time, but the fact that I first joined here nearly two years earlier than someone like @Brad Lascelle just seems bonkers. Just how old am I!?

You knosw, I didn't really think of that before now. I thought I'd probably have the oldest account of the active users in general discussion, but you beat me to it by some 3 months. In terms of activity I probably have you beat, but still, even despite you having been absent for so long, you are the veteran of the Simpsons section. It is fascinating (and probably makes you realize how old you are :P).

Last edited:
And I'm glad that things have really changed for the more positive and led to a bit of a turnaround in some ten years. Now I joined a long, long time ago as well and I too found myself a bit more positive about post-classic Simpsons so I did feel a bit out of place sometimes, with how harsh and bitter the criticism used to be, but yeah, now things have been slowly shifting and shifting toward more of a positive opinion & from the "old guard" of fans, more of an begrudging acceptance (which I think is also worth noting).
I do think that that "begrudging acceptance" as you put it is worth noting actually. The change in mood isn't just down to new users coming here, but older ones doing their part to allow the more pleasant accepting vibe here as well and I think that's great. Nice to hear that you had similar feelings about feeling out of place back then as well. I know I wasn't alone there, but it's good to hear someone actually confirm it. :)

I hear you. Things were a lot different with the fans back then in the mid to late 2000's with many fans who did enjoy the new episodes were either criticized for that, looked down upon or flat out ignored (and yeah, did seem like the general consensus was that then you were considered to be in the wrong), but now the board is like a different beast altogether.

And I'm glad you've found it to be such a pleasant surprise now and enjoying it a lot more than you did, because yeah, it isn't the same place as before and it shows with the general optimism and such. Criticism is still where criticism is due so it's not blind praise all the time (and I've even seen more criticism for classic episodes, I guess often by newer fans without the same strong "I grew up with this" connection to the episode, which is a bit a variety I like to see; also the classic episodes aren't all perfect), but anyhow, the criticism don't tend to be just some blatant "this sucks/is so bad" statement on how an episode or such, but it tend to be backed up by some reasoning.

There's still those who don't like the modern era Simpsons but a majority of those either don't seem talk much of the show (and focusing on other subjects) or have pretty much gone away/moved on (but there are still some like @Kangdos around, but he's pretty respectful and far from a troll), but I'd say the vocal loudness of those who do enjoy and like modern Simpsons and love to discuss/debate it and whatnot have gotten stronger, with their voice being louder than the haters (and have essentially drowned them out) and they've essentially taken over in a sense (and having eternal modern Simpsons proponent @Brad Lascelle essentially taking charge certainly has helped).
Yeah it was definitely a pleasant surprise to see how this place has changed! It's not that I didn't enjoy my time hear back in my first spell (I mean I stuck around for three years and made over 1000 posts which I wouldn't have done if I wasn't having any fun!), but it's definitely for the better now. And yeah it's not like criticism has gone away or anything because that would be a problem in itself (and I do think it's interesting that people do criticise classic episodes more now because that does seem to be true) it just feels like you're more "allowed" to have different opinions now when there seemed to be more of a collective opinion issue in the 2000s.

Like, to use @Kangdos as an example because you mentioned him (sorry Kangdos!), he certainly doesn't like modern Simpons and that's fine and good! I respect that opinion even if I don't personally agree with it and I certainly hope he respects my opinion that I do still like it. We can both have completely opposite views and coexist here fine these days, but 15 years ago it felt like one of us would be judged by the board as a whole to be "wrong" and the other "right". Now it feels like neither of us are considered objectively "correct" and that's a much better atmosphere to discuss and debate in.

I mean, we even welcome specific nutty fans of a certain character: I bet that if someone had been that into Sherri & Terri or Chalmers some 15 years ago, they would've been mocked or chastized/laughed at, but here we now welcome and accept these fans).
Yeah speaking as a nutty fan of a certain character it is really great that this place is so welcoming for that! Although I do remember other people like that back then as well to be fair and obviously I was a big Lisa fan myself and I don't remember being mocked or laughed at for it? I do remember trying to be a bit more quiet about it in those days though and even saying I agreed with some anti-Lisa sentiment going around because I was nervous about not fitting in and getting singled out (I do regret that :ashamed: ) so maybe I would have been teased more if I'd been as open about the Lisa fan thing as I am now?

And now that I think about it I do recall someone who was a big fan of Reverend Lovejoy at that time actually and I did see her get mocked about it fairly regularly so yeah, I think this really is a nicer place for "character fans" now.

You knosw, I didn't really think of that before now. I thought I'd probably have the oldest account of the active users in general discussion, but you beat me to it by some 3 months. In terms of activity I probably have you beat, but still, even despite you having been absent for so long, you are the veteran of the Simpsons section. It is fascinating (and probably makes you realize how old you are :P).
Ha ha sorry to take your "oldest active account" title! You absolutely have me beat in terms of activity (by over 10000 posts!) though so I don't think I can call "the" veteran of the Simpsons section. Don't know how "fascinating" I am either. :lol:

(And it does make me feel kinda old, but hey I'm not that old! I was very young when I joined so I'm still only in my early 30s :P )

Last edited:
Yeah it was definitely a pleasant surprise to see how this place has changed! It's not that I didn't enjoy my time hear back in my first spell (I mean I stuck around for three years and made over 1000 posts which I wouldn't have done if I wasn't having any fun!), but it's definitely for the better now. And yeah it's not like criticism has gone away or anything because that would be a problem in itself (and I do think it's interesting that people do criticise classic episodes more now because that does seem to be true) it just feels like you're more "allowed" to have different opinions now when there seemed to be more of a collective opinion issue in the 2000s.
Online communities truly only manage to thrive when they're welcoming of different points of view and encouraging friendly banter, debate and discussion. Walled gardens where everyone is encouraged to align with an absolute consensus just invites echo chamber tendencies where everyone is literally repeating what the person above them already said which ultimately results in conversation dying off because well, where's the impetus to simply say what was already said several times already?

I always get the most value out of this forum when I have my eyes opened on a perspective of a character or episode that I hadn't previously considered and then go out and revisit that episode with an open mindset so I can appreciate those layers I'd initially glossed over on a first viewing. That goes for criticism as well. Sometimes I'm more forgiving of certain episodes than I ought to be.

More than anything, I'm grateful for all of the obscure reference shoutouts that may well go over my head if they hadn't been pointed out... and I'm always in awe of the introspective analysis and detail that you all pull out of characters and situations and the level of commitment and research you endeavour to put into them.

I do think that that "begrudging acceptance" as you put it is worth noting actually. The change in mood isn't just down to new users coming here, but older ones doing their part to allow the more pleasant accepting vibe here as well and I think that's great. Nice to hear that you had similar feelings about feeling out of place back then as well. I know I wasn't alone there, but it's good to hear someone actually confirm it. :)

I'm glad that those old dogs have been willing to ease down on their complaining and take a back seat to let the optimist (newer, younger fans included) speak up and, well, have their fun, and it to add to the overall nice vibe of the place. I'm also sure that there's more users than both of us who feel these boards are better now than they used to, but haven't spoken much of it.

Well, I obviously always enjoyed myself here, even with the more vocal critics and detractors back then, but yeah, it's much more pleasant and fun now than some ten years (and even less than that, considering the downturn the board had) ago. And I am actually glad that the board is still healthy in terms of criticism not being all gone, as it is important to have that kind of healthy balance going on and not just all blind praise, but yeah, like I said I do like how usually, criticism is backed up with reasoning or explanation rather than blind criticism and trolling or some "Modern Simps sucks! Why are you guys still watching this crap?" or something of that ilk.

But yeah, I've also noticed that around here, we are allowe to have more varied opinions rather than "classic seasons great, modern seasons bad" (and that I said about classic episodes sometimes being criticized and re-evaluated, I'm sure mostly by those who haven't got some tight emotional connection to them from the time they aired or something, really do stand out as a major example).

Like, to use @Kangdos as an example because you mentioned him (sorry Kangdos!), he certainly doesn't like modern Simpons and that's fine and good! I respect that opinion even if I don't personally agree with it and I certainly hope he respects my opinion that I do still like it. We can both have completely opposite views and coexist here fine these days, but 15 years ago it felt like one of us would be judged by the board as a whole to be "wrong" and the other "right". Now it feels like neither of us are considered objectively "correct" and that's a much better atmosphere to discuss and debate in.

Kangdos is cool and I respect his stance toward modern Simpsons (even though I tend to disagree with his opinions & the fact he is accepted and tolerated do show how the board has evolved, allowing to have more than just one basic opinion (and that those who don't like the modern seasons are still allowed and can add to discussions and whatnot). While, yes, go back 15 years ago it would've been a lot more black & white in terms of opinions and more outspoken bitterness and hate from some.

I am glad that we're past the point of one side having to be "objectively correct" as that alone has given a better climate for the board.

Yeah speaking as a nutty fan of a certain character it is really great that this place is so welcoming for that! Although I do remember other people like that back then as well to be fair and obviously I was a big Lisa fan myself and I don't remember being mocked or laughed at for it? I do remember trying to be a bit more quiet about it in those days though and even saying I agreed with some anti-Lisa sentiment going around because I was nervous about not fitting in and getting singled out (I do regret that :ashamed: ) so maybe I would have been teased more if I'd been as open about the Lisa fan thing as I am now?

Well, don't take what I said about being mocked or laughed at as fact! It was only an example of worst case behavior of being a big and outspoken/obsessive fan of a character, episode, etc and so forth. I haven't noticed any of that kind of hate on these forums, but I have seen examples of sort of a derisive, smug or teasing attitude from some users toward some fans. I think that people like that made the fans a little more quiet to fit in (sounds like you; sorry you had to feel like that and not allowed to be more open as a Lisa nut). I don't remember any examples of that, but I am sure it has happened (maybe more common in the forum's early days before either of us joined? I dunno), but I wouldn't be so sure that you would have been teased if you have been open about loving Lisa.

And now that I think about it I do recall someone who was a big fan of Reverend Lovejoy at that time actually and I did see her get mocked about it fairly regularly so yeah, I think this really is a nicer place for "character fans" now.

I remember her and she was nice (had some discussions with her as well; too bad she left, I don't think of any hater-related incidents) and she probably was teased for that, so yeah, there we have one example of how things have changed now for character-specific fans.

Ha ha sorry to take your "oldest active account" title! You absolutely have me beat in terms of activity (by over 10000 posts!) though so I don't think I can call "the" veteran of the Simpsons section. Don't know how "fascinating" I am either. :lol:

Hey it's OK. I have no hard feelings one way or the other (and I never really thought about being a "veteran" with a lot of posts throughout the years; in a way I'm glad to not be the "oldest active account" :lawl:). But yeah, you're maybe not "fascinating" (as it's just a matter of join date and all), but I think it's just neat that we still have someone like you around and that your account is older than that of a majority of activen staff members on the forum, which you pointed out. Hope to see you stick around!

(And it does make me feel kinda old, but hey I'm not that old! I was very young when I joined so I'm still only in my early 30s :P )

Obviously you're not that old, but in terms of NHC years (board started in 2001), I guess some of us are pretty old :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Well, I obviously always enjoyed myself here, even with the more vocal critics and detractors back then, but yeah, it's much more pleasant and fun now than some ten years (and even less than that, considering the downturn the board had) ago. And I am actually glad that the board is still healthy in terms of criticism not being all gone, as it is important to have that kind of healthy balance going on and not just all blind praise, but yeah, like I said I do like how usually, criticism is backed up with reasoning or explanation rather than blind criticism and trolling or some "Modern Simps sucks! Why are you guys still watching this crap?" or something of that ilk.

But yeah, I've also noticed that around here, we are allowe to have more varied opinions rather than "classic seasons great, modern seasons bad" (and that I said about classic episodes sometimes being criticized and re-evaluated, I'm sure mostly by those who haven't got some tight emotional connection to them from the time they aired or something, really do stand out as a major example).
Oh yeah there's a big difference between worthwhile or genuine criticism and blind trolling. Like I saw a Reddit thread a little while ago where someone posted something about Ae Bonny Romance and literally every comment was people saying stuff like "What idiot would watch anything past season 8?" It's not exactly the best episode no, but that's definitely not worthwhile criticism and it made me so glad that that's not the atmosphere we've got here.

Well, don't take what I said about being mocked or laughed at as fact! It was only an example of worst case behavior of being a big and outspoken/obsessive fan of a character, episode, etc and so forth. I haven't noticed any of that kind of hate on these forums, but I have seen examples of sort of a derisive, smug or teasing attitude from some users toward some fans. I think that people like that made the fans a little more quiet to fit in (sounds like you; sorry you had to feel like that and not allowed to be more open as a Lisa nut). I don't remember any examples of that, but I am sure it has happened (maybe more common in the forum's early days before either of us joined? I dunno), but I wouldn't be so sure that you would have been teased if you have been open about loving Lisa.
Yeah I probably wouldn't have been really teased and I think it's more to do with the fact that I was a nervous, awkward teenager kind of scared of not fitting in back then rather than any real problem with the board's culture. Coming back as an adult I feel a lot more sure of myself and confident to act like my real natural self so that's the real difference with that I guess. (Not that I wasn't open about loving Lisa back then really, I mean it's in my name and I did have a signature like my current one and all that after all! I was just a bit more reticent about what I actually wrote I guess)

I remember her and she was nice (had some discussions with her as well; too bad she left, I don't think of any hater-related incidents) and she probably was teased for that, so yeah, there we have one example of how things have changed now for character-specific fans.
Yeah she was a nice user (even if I didn't speak to her much) and I don't think there was a lot of teasing, but I do remember seeing posts every so often saying things like "Why do you like such a boring character so much?" and so on which I don't think was particularly nice. Compare with now and I've never seen anyone question, say @MaggotMagnet's interest in Chalmers and that's much nicer. :aww:

Hey it's OK. I have no hard feelings one way or the other (and I never really thought about being a "veteran" with a lot of posts throughout the years; in a way I'm glad to not be the "oldest active account" :lawl:). But yeah, you're maybe not "fascinating" (as it's just a matter of join date and all), but I think it's just neat that we still have someone like you around and that your account is older than that of a majority of activen staff members on the forum, which you pointed out. Hope to see you stick around!
Ha ha to be fair I'm not sure I've got the oldest active account either, but it's certainly up there and it really did surprise me to see mine's older than a lot of mods and admins. Either way glad that I'm neat to have here and I certainly do intend to stick around! Someone's gotta keep the Lisa posts going right? :thumbsup:

Obviously you're not that old, but in terms of NHC years (board started in 2001), I guess some of us are pretty old :rolleyes:
Heh yeah in NHC terms we're certainly amongst the oldest around that's true. But hey that just makes us more mature and sophisticated!

Not to sour the mood in this thread, but some of the change in tone on this forum in recent years does have to do with the fact that some more argumentative, belligerent users no longer post here or post much less frequently. (Maybe you all have been saying that already; I just haven't had time to read through this thread. From skimming, I wanted to point this out).

There was a drop-off in forum activity around the time Discord became popular, with many users jumping ship for it. The site lost of many of its long-time users who no longer had much to say about The Simpsons and tended to only post "off-topic". When new users joined in the years since, they tended to be more focused on discussion of the show.

Not to sour the mood in this thread, but some of the change in tone on this forum in recent years does have to do with the fact that some more argumentative, belligerent users no longer post here or post much less frequently. (Maybe you all have been saying that already; I just haven't had time to read through this thread. From skimming, I wanted to point this out).

Nah, I don't think you're souring any mood, really. There have been some really more or less... problematic users whom have caused some drama yet post little to nothing now and have essentially abandoned/left the board, while some have been banned (I think there was some guy named D'ohmer or something) and with those being gone now, they have essentially been "replaced" by a lot better and more positivity-inclined users ready to give things, both the show and board included, a fair chance.

There was a drop-off in forum activity around the time Discord became popular, with many users jumping ship for it. The site lost of many of its long-time users who no longer had much to say about The Simpsons and tended to only post "off-topic". When new users joined in the years since, they tended to be more focused on discussion of the show.

Yeah, the Discord thing certainly played a part in a drop-of. I also I think that split of the board into Simpsons and the Boards & Rec forum (I don't remember which year so feel free to remind me) really caused a split in terms of forum activity too. And I remain with the opinion that it was not really a good idea at all. I get why it was done, with so many not wanting to talk about Simpsons anymore, but Boards & Rec (which a lot of, if not all, the long time users left with) slowly but steadily dried up, was abandoned and finally died, while the Simpsons section (which I guess many of those users who left thought wouldn't make it so long) grew into the board we have now (and we ended up with a boards & rec/off-topic discussion section). Kind of funny how things worked out, lol.

Though like you said, newer users were more about wantimg to talk about the show and the characters & episodes, modern episodes included, and that really made things a lot different from before. So in retrospect, I'm kinda thankful for the board split, which led to a renewal of the NoHomers community (Though still too bad about Boards & Rec. Was like it was essentially joined at the hip of Simpsons disucssion and when it was let go to fend for itself, it didn't survive and a lot of the users there didn't return. RIP)

Last edited:
I mean, speaking from experience, the reason why I became so invested in my meta thread was in how it allowed me to encourage genuinely intelligent discussion of various ideas related to the show, its text, and its creative legacy. There's been a lot of really good stuff posted there from pretty much all the regulars here, and I really appreciate reading it.

Back