The Hate-Filled Simpsons 'Fan' Website That Inspired Comic Book Guy

gUXNsXh.gif

Today, I learned one guy has been writing everything for NHC for 20+ years. We've got to find him. Talk to him. Ask him, "Was it you who built this one man Simpsons hating machine? Is that why you have all these computers and electronic devices sitting in your house?" If he says yes, we'll nab him. Slap him. Send him off to Springfield where he will never hate on anything ever again.

Pretty amazing how we managed to inspire the comic book guy's catchphrase "worst episode ever" despite not existing in 1997 :blunder:
OH MY GOODNESS. I had no idea NoHomers' predecessor inspired Comic Book Guy!!!! What an honor, and that is so hilarious!

I was shocked that Al Jean read the bad stuff. Good job Alexander or whatever Al stands for. :)

I'm glad the article implied that NHC cured Homer of his Jerkassery. That's wonderful. Good job all.

Things that angered this angry nerd:​

1) The article is definitely written by someone who hasn't been on NoHomersClub once, LOL.
2) The descendants of these angry nerds are not on present day YouTube, they're right here. 1713056799056.png
Still talking about the Simpsons.
On No Homers Club Dot Net.
Shock-value content millers on YouTube are starkly different than forum members IMO. Unlike blogs and videos, forums offer a type of multi-way communal interaction, that posting longform content for others doesn't offer. (No shade to commentators in general though, it can be fun/insightful, I'm a Theorizer fan for example.)

3) They claim the phrase "Worst. Episode. Ever" came from an "unnamed, hateful" webmaster. That is patently untrue because a username is a name. That being said, who was the webmaster they're referring to?

All in all, a truly despicable article that feels 3 paragraphs long and without a clear purpose, but a typical sight in today's SEO clickfarm internet (you won't believe what this article is about, act 3 will shock you). I got initially stunned when I saw how long the scrollbar was until I realized they just decided to put 30 articles in one page lol.

I wish I had been a few years older and one of those Simpsons fans active on the internet around the turn of the millenium, because I guarantee that whatever people wrote about the Scully era episodes back when they first aired what I would have written would have made everything else look like praise in comparasion. I absolutely despised The Simpsons back when I first noticed how it turned to shit, but I was like 13 or something and neither had the opportunity to regularly interact with people on the internet (my family of 8 had one computer) nor the ability to put my emotions into accurate words.

It's only since the late 00's that I pride myself as the internets most negative Simpsons fan.

Um yeah, so obviously this poorly researched article confused Nohomers, which is really not that hate-filled (a handful of bitter, resentful individuals aside), with alt.simpsons.tv, which was the actually hate-filled place (as @Brad Lascelle astutely pointed out).

I've heard of the Comic Book Guy & alt.simpsons.tv connection before and it is so weird to see that so much time has passed that there's actually people mistaking NoHomers for a long-since defunct site :lawl:

I blame everything on maggied.com

Um yeah, so obviously this poorly researched article confused Nohomers, which is really not that hate-filled (a handful of bitter, resentful individuals aside), with alt.simpsons.tv, which was the actually hate-filled place (as @Brad Lascelle astutely pointed out).

I've heard of the Comic Book Guy & alt.simpsons.tv connection before and it is so weird to see that so much time has passed that there's actually people mistaking NoHomers for a long-since defunct site :lawl:
Just for some added context, alt.tv.simpsons was a Usenet discussion group. Message boards WERE a thing even back then but they were largely still relegated to local dial-up bulletin boards whereas the Internet at large had Usenet as its communication space and not much in the way of dedicated message boards (those started cropping up around the late 1990s / early 2000s).

Interestingly enough, that community actually was still semi-active until just this past February when Usenet via Google Groups was largely shut down. Usenet is still semi-functional as a service but engaging with it outside of Google and via traditional Usenet clients is something like 90-95% of people aren't willing to do any more so it's largely in an artifact state. Probably would've been a good idea to hop in there and direct folks over to this place at the time but I neglected to do so.

@Brad Lascelle, how can you create a hive mind if you don't recruit the bees from alt.tv.simpsons? You can't leave it up to us, the lowly workers to spread your ideology.
bender bee 2.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: Sam
Just for some added context, alt.tv.simpsons was a Usenet discussion group. Message boards WERE a thing even back then but they were largely still relegated to local dial-up bulletin boards whereas the Internet at large had Usenet as its communication space and not much in the way of dedicated message boards (those started cropping up around the late 1990s / early 2000s).

It is really fascinating how things changed over such a short amount of time, especially how there were message boards but they were limited so Usenet was the common way to have discussions until the late 1990s (and speaking of usenet groups, it is fascinating to find the archived discussions from around the early to mid-1980s when home computers weren't really as commonplace as they became in the 90s. Maybe I will go try and find some archived threads to read the actual reactions to early season 1 of the show?).

Interestingly enough, that community actually was still semi-active until just this past February when Usenet via Google Groups was largely shut down. Usenet is still semi-functional as a service but engaging with it outside of Google and via traditional Usenet clients is something like 90-95% of people aren't willing to do any more so it's largely in an artifact state. Probably would've been a good idea to hop in there and direct folks over to this place at the time but I neglected to do so.

I did check that Usenet community out after my last post here (which you quoted) and I also saw it has been somewhat active up until recently, which I had not expected (thought it was all but abandoned, actually). Still kinda cool that some people are still finding utilization for Usenet these days in spite of being such an outdated service and, yeah, an artifact from some 40 years back.

I wonder how many of our users were Usenet folks before they migrated to the NHC.

Wow. We should all be ashamed of ourselves, NHC. I always said we were too hard on Jean. :(

I was semi-active on Usenet back in like 2008-9, before I migrated to here. Even then it seemed to be on it's last legs.

As a relative newbie to this forum, I do think there's some hate to be found here that can't entirely be attributed to a bitter minority.

It's certainly not that big a deal for me, not even close, but it's noticable, and it can get overly personal in outright demonizing certain member's staff in a way I find to be unpleasant.

Thankfully there's plenty of threads here where it never comes up, and in those where it does, I usually just shrug, and then duck out of that specific thread to let people to it.

As a relative newbie to this forum, I do think there's some hate to be found here that can't entirely be attributed to a bitter minority.

It's certainly not that big a deal for me, not even close, but it's noticable, and it can get overly personal in outright demonizing certain member's staff in a way I find to be unpleasant.

Thankfully there's plenty of threads here where it never comes up, and in those where it does, I usually just shrug, and then duck out of that specific thread to let people to it.

Really? haven't seen anything too bad regularily, but there is and has been a somewhat vocal minority of users whom have been troublesome and reared their heads (and you have had the displeasure of seeing some of that).

I've noticed the haters & trolls seem to come in waves sometimes and there's been some conflicts and issues (and I suppose there's been a recent problematic one or two of those, which seem to line up to around the time you joined). I also would attribute some instances (such as some of those instances of staff members being demonized) as dark "jokes" that tend to be taken too far or, at worst, a user or two who have some strange beef with a certain staffer (which I have noticed, for sure). By the way; I'd also say that if you have any problems and feel uncomfortable and unpleasant with how any user is acting or reacting, you can always contact an admin.

But I'd say that consistently and broadly, there's absolutely much less hate here than on other internet forums and message boards and those moments of hate and users who take things too far are relatively far and few between and not nearly as toxic and ugly and nasty as stuff I've seen on places like Reddit, for instance. But for the most part, this is absolutely not a hate-filled forum.

(Also, the way I worded that description ("a handful of bitter, resentful individuals aside") was in part meant as a joke and Simpsons reference, but seems like you interpreted it seriously only. But I don't blame you as we've had issues with haters).

Last edited:
Really? haven't seen anything too bad regularily
Yeah, as I said it's not too bad, but it has been something I've noticed as a definite thing to the point that I felt it was worth commenting on as someone coming in who isn't fully embedded yet into the forum culture.

Also heh, does depend on the reddit sub in question I've found. Some places are amazingly chill and wholesome, others are about what I've seen here, and others are truly wretched hives of scum and villainy. Can be wild though as I've certainly seen subs about nice things that absolutely full into the last most toxic category which makes that place quite the minefield for the unwary.

Appreciate the reply!

I overall tone of this forum used to be a lot more negative than it is now, at least in regards to discussion about The Simpsons. 10 years ago a greater percentage of discussions concerned the declined quality of the show, whereas now most discussions concern some topic regarding the show where the decline itself isn't the main point or even brought up. I think this can in part be attributed to the show having a general upswing in the past few seasons, but mostly due to there having been a huge changing of the gaurds in regards to the most active forumites. If you were to count the top 10 most active forumites as of right now, I doub't more than one or two of them would be people that joned any earlier than he mid 2010's. Many of these newer forumites are either people significantly younger than the old guard, or became hardcore Simpsons fanatics at a later date. This means one significant thing; they weren't there to experience the initial decline of the show first hand, or at least not as Simpsons fanatics. I think this fact alone gives many of them a less resentful view of modern Simpsons. They tend to see the decline as more of historical fact about the show, rather than something they personally remember being saddened and angered by.

Merl definitely does, but he joined in the mid 10's like I said most of the most active forumites did. I don't think the others are in the top 10 most active, but I could be wrong.

Merl definitely does, but he joined in the mid 10's like I said most of the most active forumites did. I don't think the others are in the top 10 most active, but I could be wrong.
Merl joined in 2006 though?

I take your point though.

Merl joined in 2006 though?

I take your point though.

Oh snap, I got his joining date wrong. Well my memory isn't what it used to be. I used up my memory storing thoughs about how much I hate The Simpsons, so there isn't much left to store information of any other kind.

Yeah, @B-Boy is correct. I've been here since 2006 (says so right under my user title) so that makes me one of those currently active who's been on here the longest.

I overall tone of this forum used to be a lot more negative than it is now, at least in regards to discussion about The Simpsons. 10 years ago a greater percentage of discussions concerned the declined quality of the show, whereas now most discussions concern some topic regarding the show where the decline itself isn't the main point or even brought up.

Yeah, I really do remember things being a lot more divisive and questionable before, such as even 10 years ago. I think there were more detractors and haters around that time too (even if some do still show up) while now this is generally a nicer and well-balanced places. Plus there's even been a couple of years or so when the board was pretty much effectively on a downturn and essentially dead (I don't remember exactly when that was, but I'm guessing the early to mid 2010's? Correct me if I'm wrong, anyone).

I think this can in part be attributed to the show having a general upswing in the past few seasons, but mostly due to there having been a huge changing of the gaurds in regards to the most active forumites.

While that former may have something to do with it, but I rather think it is the generational change of users whom have contributed to it (or the changing of the guard as you put it in another way).

It would seem like that ever since the Simpsons Movie in 2007 brought in a lot of new users (I think @Financial Panther was one of those), there's been a fairly steady influx of new blood, many of whom have been active and sticking around. Later and also in recent years there's been even more newcomers whom have been adding a lot of youthful energy and whom have no real baggage of being huge classic era fans and then let down and turned bitter & resentful due to the show's decline, as they didn't grow up with the classic seasons, which led to less haters in the grand scheme of things & less opinionated fans vocal about their displeasure of modern Simpsons.

So yeah, in the end, you are correct that these newer users rather see the show's decline in a historial light rather than something current they experience in real-time, which I think made lots of difference (and the upswing with the recent couple of seasons helped; seem to have brought in a new crowd as well, even to this forums since the last couple of years ago have seen a lot of new, very active faces, such as @Meko, @MisogiKurakawa & @MaggotMagnet among others; a lot of M's going around, haha).

Last edited:
The question regarding whether this place has developed a generally more positive opinion on modern Simpsons is a tricky one...

On the one hand, as previously stated, a lot of new forumites with a somewhat more positive outlook on modern Simpsons than the older generation of fans have joined as of the past few years, to the point where one might be inclined to characterize the forum as a whole as a place where a more positive tone is in general use when discussions on modern Simpsons are taking place compared to what was the case one or two decades ago...

... but on the other hand, Kangdos has been more active over the past two years or so than he had been for the first decade or so since he joined the forum in 2010...:chin:

I do think that @Kangdos is right that the tone here is a lot more positive these days than it used to be 10+ years ago. As someone who was around back then myself I definitely remember there being much more blanket criticism of the post-classic show as a whole and it did feel like it was considered somewhat out of the ordinary to actually like it. I don't know whether that was actually true or not, but as one of those who was generally positive towards the modern show (as I still am) I did feel like I was in something of a minority in a way I really don't now.

It feels like there's a much more broad spread of opinions on the post-classic seasons now and everyone's thoughts are more individually respected whereas back in 2006-2009 it felt like if you still liked the new episodes you were typically considered to be "wrong". It was actually a really pleasant surprise for me when I came back here for the first time in 14 years and I think the more positive mood permeates the forum as a whole as well. I remember being almost scared to post in off-topic back then because I had a real feeling that that part of the board was for people who'd gone off The Simpsons and perhaps looked down on those who still watched or posted about it. Maybe that's because I was a teenager and a new user who felt sort of intimidated by the "old guard" back then, I don't know, but I genuinely felt that someone calling themselves "I Love Lisa" with Lisa pictures in her signature and all wouldn't be welcome in that half of the site and that's absolutely not true now.

Also random aside maybe, but it's kind of startling to me that my account is older than all of the ones @B-Boy mentioned (plus his and Kangdos' as well). I know I've not been active all that time, but the fact that I first joined here nearly two years earlier than someone like @Brad Lascelle just seems bonkers. Just how old am I!?

... but on the other hand, Kangdos has been more active over the past two years or so than he had been for the first decade or so since he joined the forum in 2010...:chin:
Two years ago :

Fans : "Hey, season 33 is actually pretty good ! There's some great stuff in it ! Could it be that the show is going through some renaissance and is good again ?!"
Kangdos, self-proclaimed biggest modern Simpsons hater : "... Hey, I think that's my cue !"

Back