Rate & Review: "Cremains of the Day" (35ABF09)

How would you rate this episode?

• Total voters
Fantastic episode one of my favorites of post classic era 5/5 lovely moe-bros adventure

Last edited:
Just to be clear, I think Marge was right, I just think that if they had revealed Larry's diary before she started nagging it would have had more weight. We sorta know Larry was just a regular and never really meshed with the rest of the group. I get Marge's point but it's hard for me to hold the guys to a higher standard... except Lenny, he's supposed to be the sensitive one.

Just to be clear, I think Marge was right, I just think that if they had revealed Larry's diary before she started nagging it would have had more weight.

I don't really think it would've mattered if Marge started "nagging" after the diary reveal rather than before. Her words and the points she made still had plenty of weight to them no matter how one looks at it (especially in terms of Lenny and his inaction).

I don't really think it would've mattered if Marge started "nagging" after the diary reveal rather than before. Her words and the points she made still had plenty of weight to them no matter how one looks at it (especially in terms of Lenny and his inaction).
If anything, they hold more weight because they weren't prompted by the diary. Because it's just what decent friends should've done given that Larry was a fixture in their lives that they otherwise couldn't be bothered getting to know.

The reason it didn't really work for me, in that particular order, is that I never thought Larry and Sam were in the same clique as the rest of the patrons.

I won't go too meta trying to condense 35 seasons into one calendar year to fit the Simpsons timeline to explain that they only really "knew" Larry for 1 year but I don't think it's so bad that they didn't really know him.. heck we didn't

I think It still worked. Someone had to nag the guys into feeling bad, I would have just done it in different beats.

Last edited:
Hey, where is Sam?
Feel like the easiest solution would've been to just have him be with Barney. Just standing off to the side, wouldn't even have to say his name or call attention to him, but still letting the real heads know they care.

Ha, the rat struggling to crow like a rooster!
Ewww, Moe eating the cigarettes!
As for Larry dying, it was shocking, especially since this wasn't hyped up as a dumb ratings trap like "Clown in the Dumps". It was instead more akin to when Mona Simpson died in Season 19, the death coming as a surprise within the episode, albeit not as emotional. But just like Maude Flanders, we never really cared about Larry until now, when he just died!
But where was Sam, the other Moe's Tavern barfly extra?
I'm not surprised Reverend Lovejoy delivered the eulogy at Larry's funeral, since he's the go-to minister for such funerals in the show.
Wait a minute! Mrs. Glick is alive again?! I thought she got killed off in Season 23's "Replaceable You"! (Yet another recurring extra to die.) Or maybe the newer production team got her design confused with the elderly organists from "Dancin' Homer" and "Bart Sells His Soul".
Barney Gumble being in Mexico was interesting. That explains why he's virtually disappeared from the show!
Heh, the "Eleanor Rigby" parody was pretty amusing! And I get it, since he died and only a few people came to his funeral, compared to nobody at all coming to Eleanor's funeral.

Wow, Lenny is starting to sound more like Ned Flanders. Of course, Harry Shearer is now 80 years old...
What Lenny says about ghosts, I feel the same thing about funerals and wakes, that the spirit of the dead person is among everyone there, like one last goodbye.
I'm still wondering about what will happen when we die, and it occasionally concerns me.
Nice animation when Moe is scheming to Homer about the sapphires in Larry's ashes.

Oooh, now Fat Tony's involved! I was kind of suspicious of that "Sheriff", and the reveal where he's working for Fat Tony confirmed it.
LOL at "Wow, these electric cars even explode quiet!" At least these dramatic stories of Matt Selman's tenure as the main showrunner can still work in a couple of good laughs.

Who did Pamela Hayden and Grey DeLisle-Griffin voice in this episode? I'm guessing they were vocalists for the "Eleanor Rigby" parody alongside Tress MacNeille.
Overall, it was a nice fairly dramatic story about losing a recurring extra. Like I said, I am enjoying how experimental the show's gotten since Matt Selman became the main showrunner.

Last edited:
The reason it didn't really work for me, in that particular order, is that I never thought Larry and Sam were in the same clique as the rest of the patrons.

In a way, you are correct that Larry & Sam never really were in the same clique and were "those two guys in the bar" so that way I can understand why you feel it didn't work as well as it was done in the episode, with Marge criticising them before the diary, but I think that making it not too easy (in kind of a prompted way as it would've felt), made it more interesting.

I won't go too meta trying to condense 35 seasons into one calendar year to fit the Simpsons timeline to explain that they only really "knew" Larry for 1 year but I don't think it's so bad that they didn't really know him.. heck we didn't

I think that at least from a moral standpoint, they should have known better than to seemingly never even attempting to communicating with him over the span of these 35 seasons (that inuniverse has to constitute for many, many years at least) so while it maybe doesn't seem so bad on the surface, I think they should have tried to get to know him a little bit. Just felt like the normal thing to do.

I really do think a point of the story was to put us viewers in the same situation as the four guys, as we didn't really knew Larry either and it turns out that he was more than the lonely depressed loser he seemed to be, which made for a wake-up call, and Marge pointing out there was more to Larry than it had seemed and they should feel some shame for not knowing anything of him was very much correct.

I think It still worked. Someone had to nag the guys into feeling bad, I would have just done it in different beats.

I definitely agree with someone like @Brad Lascelle that the way her response was not spurred by the diary reveal had more weight to it than if it had been prompted by the diary, which would've felt sort of more like an obligation.

I don't think there need to be a deeper, personal reason to care for someone you have been spending a lot of time sitting next to than just more or less common human decency and niceness. Why should we only really care for someone like that when finding out that we still meant a lot to them (here with that drawing reveal) despite willfully having ignored this person for all their life?

Last edited:
When Homer replies to Moe saying, “You’re right; I am highly suggestible”...uh...none of the writers recognized where they may have seen that joke before? :blunder:

I really like seeing the boys all together but I wonder if we could ever get such a funny trip with Marge and her truly weird gaggle of friends.

I didn’t really like the Carl girlfriend jokes, I just felt like they were kinda random and were repeated without being very funny in the first place. it was weird to discuss his GF so much wihtout showing her at all to establish her character. Obviously fans remember her from previous episodes but new watchers don't. Like maybe she should have called him and explained about the concert herself on speakerphone.
Show don’t tell, ya know?

ARE YOU REALLY TELLING ME LENNY DIDN’T GET OFFENDED AT THE DUCK SINUSITIS COMMENT?!?! He just says the El Paso poem without even 1 emotional beat?! Brah at least have him huff indignantly. It’s definitely something that would make a character with a nasal voice insecure, and him just rolling past it instead of getting mad at Carl makes the insult fall flat.

The poem wasn’t funny enough to skip his reaction completely - a near-necessary joke would have been him quacking "NO IT DOESn'T" in a way that sounds extremely ducklike therefore disproving his protest.

The Bruno Wifebanger joke would have been funnier with a joke on top of it, like if he subverted expectations somehow. For example Bruno could have suddenly came out as asexual or gay, LOL. Or said he was completely disinterested in Tony's wife.
Or he could have straight up said he was gonna bang Tony's wife, and Tony would have been stunned, like *slaps face* MAMMA MIA!
1714786384950.png

And I was personally stunned they didn’t extend the joke to Tony’s nail salon person who was sitting there the whole time as if she was part of a joke setup anyway. For exmaple Tony could refer to her as Tammy Mess-up-a-manicure and she deadpan says, “Sorry i messed it up” and he's also extremely surprised and then disappointed.
9543a192-9963-4c75-8f0d-eed6bb1a8aaf_text.gif

Like this clip but Tony saying it to the nail lady.

Or maybe the opposite, Tony says her name and realizes she's about to mess it up and she gets mad and says “IM DOING MY BEST!!!”

I mean, I'm realizing this is all a rehashing of the Tightlips joke from 24 years ago, so it really needs to go bigger.

Y’know what I mean? That Wifebanger joke felt like a start but early seasons would have driven it to completion.

I think Moe is sufficiently evil here! Noice.

The car's animation was beautiful! Thanks 3D Disney team.
However, Moe's animation in the bathroom was a bit overacted IMO. I love when they overanimate gestures sometimes because it's fun to see Simpsons characters more fluidly, but that felt much even to me.

Imagining Moe eating the sapphires is pretty funny .
But I would have wanted to see it.
Did he swallow them in handfuls or one by one like pills? Avital (me) wants to know.
For example, the after credits could've be a clip of him just effortfully gulping them down in a gas station and telling them to look away AHHAHAH.

Funniest moment was Moe screaming VOID in the silent room LOL.

I agree that the waterfall twist at the end was a great reveal.

But speaking OF LOOSE ENDS, why on Earth did Larry smuggle the sapphires in the first place?!?!? There was no explanation. They just dropped that ‘expensive object’ trope to divide the characters without a sufficient explanation. Usually in a story like this, I’d want to find out more about Larry as a human rather than just get a buddy story about 4 guys with a generic villain who dies.

I wish they had the courage to make this a real tearjerker episode rather than go halfway with it.
Mother-Simpson-featured-image.jpg

I wish this was the vibe they went for.

Also there was no B plot in this episode.
I like how Bart and Lisa were written but I was surprised we didn't see more of them.
This trip would even have been more interesting/unpredictable if Marge went,for example. Y'know?

I loved Marge's line to Lenny about him being sensitive and him beign surprised. It's so true LOL.

Overall rating:

Ghrahrhgghhahrhagrgarghh.
FEuLu8pXEAw9v0m.jpg:large

Not high.

This script didn’t feel complete to me.

Last edited:
But speaking OF LOOSE ENDS, why on Earth did Larry smuggle the sapphires in the first place?!?!? There was no explanation. They just dropped that ‘expensive object’ trope to divide the characters without a sufficient explanation. Usually in a story like this, I’d want to find out more about Larry as a human rather than just get a buddy story about 4 guys with a generic villain who dies.
It is explained. Mickey calls the sapphires "Larry's last haul" on the phone call to Fat Tony, indicating that Larry was a gem smuggler in the employ of the Springfield Mafia.

It is explained. Mickey calls the sapphires "Larry's last haul" on the phone call to Fat Tony, indicating that Larry was a gem smuggler in the employ of the Springfield Mafia.
Oh I missed it! Thank you!!!! Crossed it out in my post. This is exactly why I scored so low on the SAT for Reading Comprehension. :lol:

Back