Most off color moments in The Simpsons?

In "The Haw-Hawed Couple", two girls from the 4th grade, Girl with glasses and Nina Skalka, have different hair colours
1705592502783.png

View attachment 6950
Found weirdly cursed Shauna without her lipstick.
That's... oddly disconcerting and I can't really put my finger on why. It almost looks like a different character in a weird way.

There's been a lot of season 11 on TV of recent and I've noticed there's quite a regular stream of minor colouring/art errors throughout. Like, compare the differing shades of yellow and absence/presence of shading on the characters in these two shots from the same scene in Treehouse of Horror X.
1005360.jpg

1007560.jpg

And here's Bart and Lisa with bizarrely giant pupils staring blankly into nothingness in E-I-E-I-D'oh:
546760.jpg

There's a fair amount of this kind of thing and it can make the whole season feel a little more slapped together animation-wise than the other years.

That's... oddly disconcerting and I can't really put my finger on why. It almost looks like a different character in a weird way.

There's been a lot of season 11 on TV of recent and I've noticed there's quite a regular stream of minor colouring/art errors throughout. Like, compare the differing shades of yellow and absence/presence of shading on the characters in these two shots from the same scene in Treehouse of Horror X.
1005360.jpg

1007560.jpg

And here's Bart and Lisa with bizarrely giant pupils staring blankly into nothingness in E-I-E-I-D'oh:
546760.jpg

There's a fair amount of this kind of thing and it can make the whole season feel a little more slapped together animation-wise than the other years.
In that same picture, Homer’s overbite is too big as well.

I think usually the Scully era animation looks pretty good, for some reason the hands especially have a bit more depth and detail to them. Not my favourite of the styles though.

I think usually the Scully era animation looks pretty good, for some reason the hands especially have a bit more depth and detail to them. Not my favourite of the styles though.
I do agree actually. Seasons 11 and 12 in particular look fairly unique amongst all the seasons produced and that's no bad thing (not my favourite either though, but I can't really decide which era would be favourite for animation, so yeah). The animation itself is nice and that picture of Homer swimming in the grass with a larger overbite is actually quite a good example of using slight off-modelness well for the purpose of expressiveness, which the latter Scully years do fairly often.

What I was saying was that 11 in particular seems to have a fair amount of minor issues with colouring and so on in the background specifically. The most important stuff is good, but characters that aren't the focus of the scene jump between darker and lighter palettes and stuff like that, which makes me wonder if the animation production was more squeezed for time for some reason that year? Of course, it could just be that I'm noticing 11's little errors purely because that's the season I happen to have been seeing a fair amount of recently.

So Dark Knight Court gives us this gem - Sherri and Terri's mother just randomly having the completely wrong character design.

1706835261262.png
It's a quick shot, but I'm still not quite sure how this happened - they'd been very consistent with the designs of the twins' parents at this point, and you can even see her correctly in an earlier shot.

Oh! I know this one, they hadn't actually been that consistent!

Basically, that one showed up in the Simpsons Movie first in church. And sometimes in the church segments later on that design gets used again (or even a purple-haired variant in Pulprit Friction) also remember Walking Big and Tall and iirc, Star of the Backstage also.

1706836574721.png

But more than that, this entire shot is a gem. Two sets of Wiggum parents, another Barry Mackleberry, two Nelson-Dads(?), three or so Blue Haired Lawyers and that's not even all of it...

546760.jpg

What strikes me as even weirder is how both Bart & Lisa are in a more muddy shade of yellow than Marge, Maggie & Homer and that, along with the large pupils and blank stares, make them look really ghost-like. So yeah... that's a cursed image, fam.

Last edited:
What strikes me as even weirder is how both Bart & Lisa are in a more muddy shade of yellow than Marge, Maggie & HOmer and that, along with the large pupils and blank stares, make them look really ghost-like. So yeah... that's a cursed image, fam.
Even Marge is staring awkwardly at nothingness. And yes, it is odd that Bart and Lisa are drawn with darker skin than Homer and Marge.

What strikes me as even weirder is how both Bart & Lisa are in a more muddy shade of yellow than Marge, Maggie & HOmer and that, along with the large pupils and blank stares, make them look really ghost-like. So yeah... that's a cursed image, fam.
I thought it looked almost like someone had stuck some slightly off-brand Bart & Lisa standees by the car myself, but now you say that I can't unsee the spooky hauntedness of it. Definitely the oddest error I've personally spotted in a Simpsons scene and it's such a peculiar image that it really does make me wonder how it ever came to be. Why were those off looking cels ever produced in the first place, let alone used in a final shot?

Even Marge is staring awkwardly at nothingness. And yes, it is odd that Bart and Lisa are drawn with darker skin than Homer and Marge.
To be fair to the production staff, Marge is actually looking at Homer.

1706983802013.png
Bottom-right. Allison's dyed her hair, switched to blue and I guess has access to a time machine. It's unconfirmed whether she is also louder and angrier.

Never noticed that until now, although, in Future-Drama. a teenage Allison is depicted with Blonde Hair
497, Future-Drama (Season 16, Episode 15, Like, April 17th 2005).png

Interestingly, there seemed to be a period in the show where Allison was often miscoloured (most notably, around Seasons 15-18). Episode examples below are from The Heartbroke Kid, Home Away from Homer, Homer's Paternity Coot & Moe'N' a Lisa
498, The Heartbroke Kid (Season 16, Episode 17, Love, May 1st 2005).png504, Home Away from Homer (Season 16, Episode 20, Okay, May 15th 2005).jpg535, Homer's Paternity Coot (Season 17, Episode 10, Meh, January 8th 2006).png579, Moe'N'a Lisa (Season 18, Episode 6, Meh, November 19th 2006).png

There is also this scene in A Test Before Trying where there is a Jessica Lovejoy looking Allison seen with Janey, but Allison is seen elsewhere in the crowd, so I'm not sure if it should count as an error or not.
201, A Test Before Trying (Season 24, Episode 10, Love, January 13th 2013).jpg

What I was saying was that 11 in particular seems to have a fair amount of minor issues with colouring and so on in the background specifically. The most important stuff is good, but characters that aren't the focus of the scene jump between darker and lighter palettes and stuff like that, which makes me wonder if the animation production was more squeezed for time for some reason that year? Of course, it could just be that I'm noticing 11's little errors purely because that's the season I happen to have been seeing a fair amount of recently.
Quality control across the board feels like it fell off during Season 11. The animation not so much as the writing but it's not a surprise that there was bleedover in the laissez-faire anything goes nonsense that was that season as a whole. Season 12 felt like the ship righting itself somewhat (despite still being Scully). A lot of the recent recruits - i.e. the core of today's writing room old guard - had another year under their belt and were willing to assert themselves more. And then we had overachievers like MacMullan show up on the directing front to school everyone else on just what the show could be capable of.

Quality control across the board feels like it fell off during Season 11. The animation not so much as the writing but it's not a surprise that there was bleedover in the laissez-faire anything goes nonsense that was that season as a whole. Season 12 felt like the ship righting itself somewhat (despite still being Scully). A lot of the recent recruits - i.e. the core of today's writing room old guard - had another year under their belt and were willing to assert themselves more. And then we had overachievers like MacMullan show up on the directing front to school everyone else on just what the show could be capable of.
Quality control is a good way to put it actually and you are right that it does seem to affect every aspect of the season. It's such an odd year for the show overall and I do wonder if it was rushed for some reason without much time for quality checks? The fact that 10 and 12 either side of it don't quite hit the peak "Scullyness" of 11 and are generally more professionally put together does make me wonder if something was going on behind the scenes then, but I suppose it could just very well be a lack of care.

That corpse-like complexion does work well on Agnes though... 'least if her hands weren't still yellow.

Back