MaggotMagnet
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• Me when Superintendent Chalmers appears for 1 second in a background shotIMG_2983.jpeg
    Sorry everyone that I've dropped off the face of the Earth lately!
    I have been burnt out and can't find it in me to vote, write, DM, and catch up with everything.
    Nevertheless I am grateful and happy to read from all of you :D
    lf

Y'know when you see a cel and you can just TELL the person drawing it has drawn the character sooo many times that it's just effortless to get those canon proportions right? I mean dang. The face here looks like it was scrawled absently and took no more than 15 seconds, but it is spot on IMO. Wish I could replicate that same level of fast and effortless accuracy, but I know it only comes with time and deadline crunches! :)
    • Love
    Reactions: Meg!
    Venomrabbit
    Venomrabbit
    It's why these guys are pros though! I think one thing they teach (and I need to actually practice) is the art of getting down poses in very short timeframes like 5 minutes to even 30 seconds. They might have to train like that a lot for the show.
    MaggotMagnet
    MaggotMagnet
    Yeah I can totally see that! I follow a few artists online that went from Spongebob fanartists to Spongebob storyboarders and it's interesting to see how quickly (within a few months of being hired) they get INCREDIBLY good at the proportions of the characters to the point where it goes from looking fan to canon. I'd love to do it but I understand, as you said, it literally comes with having a full time job doing it lol.
    my reaction when i realize i've still not given your account a follow:
    1710434751177.png
    • Haha
    Reactions: MaggotMagnet
    MaggotMagnet
    MaggotMagnet
    hHAHAHAH oh my goodness I'm honored, thank you for skinnerposting on my wall-- early seasons no less :lol:
    • Love
    Reactions: Meko
    Wh - I - but, I thought the Simpsons was - ?!?🤯 Wow, I just learned by watching interviews with Japanese folks that the animated family sitcom SAZAE-SAN began in 1969, making it the longest-running animated series of all time!

kRgN0Q.gif

3000.jpg

That being said, I might just give it a watch!
    MaggotMagnet
    MaggotMagnet
    Meh, I came back from watching it . You're probably right as they hit 2500 eps i think and they don't really want to publish it outside japan.
    the one i watched had subs, as it was some type of anniversary special on ...a,....um, a reputable website that is totally allowed. (It was one of two eps they had)

Anyway, I really disliked it. o_O The ep was newish but the comics it's based on were created in the 1940s and believe me it shows (they act like 1950s sitcom stereotypes, the daughter/mom cleaning dishes, the boys playing in the yard, nothing to subvert any expectations, etc). Seemed way too predictable and I didn't see a single joke in like 5minutes so i gave up lol.
    MisogiKurakawa
    MisogiKurakawa
    Yeah, Sazae-san isn't something at all artistically ambitious, it's much more comparable to a typical newspaper strip.

On the other hand, Doraemon started in the 70s, and is still producing new material to this day.
    MaggotMagnet
    MaggotMagnet
    Oh that's where that ubiquitous creature is from! Thanks for the recommendation; I think I'll have to give that a try as well.
    LOL, I had a dream my mom offered me an instant meal that contained sodium benzoate, and I refused to eat it and explained why it's bad. Thank you for educating me, cursed frogurt dealer :lol:
    • Haha
    Reactions: Meg!
    MaggotMagnet
    MaggotMagnet
    Oh dang it was potassium benzoate, not sodium. Well, my subconscious was close enough!
    I have to share how absolutely overjoyed i am:
    One of my managers got into the simpsons last year after i recommended it, now she's on s12. She knows my favorite characters LOL even though i dont talk about it at work.
    So today she burst into the downstairs office adter i was secretly working overtime and scared me by yelling "SKINNNNERR!" 🤣🤣😭HDHDHA
    it's so overrwhelming hearing my fave characters referenced in the workplace LOL. I'm sure you guys all know how much that means to me. i don't even know how to react , i just laugh and cry internally fhdgshdj💀
    Any Fairly Oddparents fans here??! I drew Denzel Crocker! :D

crocker2.png
    (full version on instagram also twitter)
    Jackomon
    Jackomon
    Its been a long time since I've seen the series (and by long time, I am referring to my childhood). Its a show I have been wandering if I should return to or not, as I feel like I won't enjoy it as much nowadays compared to my childhood
    Smear-Gel
    Smear-Gel
    She's the main character from the new FoP show that's gonna premiere later this year!
    MaggotMagnet
    MaggotMagnet
    @Jackomon Your concerns are valid: I definitely found it more unpredictable as a kid, and I have to be in a certain mood to watch it, but it can get hilariously witty at times! I like the sheer speed at which jokes pop, and the voice acting is quite funny. Also Guy Moon's scoring is so thorough and hilariously inventive that sometimes I laugh at the way the music is used alone. I enjoy the occasional ep! Recently watched the one about Denzel Crocker and it was great!
    @Smear-Gel oh cool, I didn't know that!!!! I just googled it. Shocked I haven't heard of it before. I like how it's a limited series. Interesting to see FOP artstyle in 3D that isn't the weird movie and isn't Jimmy Timmy Power Hour! Strange they say it's releasing "in the spring" but don't give a specific date. Anyway, thanks for letting me know! :)I love how you drew them!
    Has anyone else seen Schitt's Creek?
    956b7033-b9e7-4a52-882d-8684bcce700e_text.gif

Aside from Seinfeld, it's one of the only non-cartoons I enjoy! I'm rewatching the first season right now. Curious if any of you have seen it / enjoyed it.

I really like the way that Moira Rose is the "silly one" whereas her husband is the "straight man", and of course their adult children being rich brats is hilarious. Overall, it's written quite cleverly; it is more realistic in its dialogue and less one-liner/parody heavy than The Simpsons, but nevertheless I appreciate the writing. I hope it positively influences the way I write comedic dialogue.
    MaggotMagnet
    MaggotMagnet
    Meh. I only watched a couple of eps on this rewatch. Gotta say, it's only a 7/10 in my book, because it relies mostly on slow cringe humor. The only character I really love is Roland because he's horrible and corrupt....same thing I love about so many Simpsons chars.
    1708043755405.png
    Saw this and... well, here ya go!
    MaggotMagnet
    MaggotMagnet
    Btw is this a reference to a specific real-life article? I can't find it via ggoogle :lol: And I also lovehow they captioned his job title, so funny to see it so official with that font. LOL.
    Venomrabbit
    Venomrabbit
    I dunno! I just saw it floating about on twitter!
    Personally, I wish I knew where people got those funny text/dm exchanges they overlay characters on so I could do the same...
    D’ohboy
    D’ohboy
    I would actually read that article. Perhaps you would care to expand it?
    IMG_2188.jpeg
    IMO the first one definitely feels like a one-liner a Simpsons character would say
    MaggotMagnet
    MaggotMagnet
    OK! I hope you appreciated my "Sugar We're Going Down" reference, I had to research emo culture for a minute there, lol!
    Owen23
    Owen23
    He was "Getting Down With The Sickness" and "Getting Free Right Into The Sun" at the same time!
    MaggotMagnet
    MaggotMagnet
    Me: "Ohhhhh...😃now I don't get it!" -Homer, from "Habeas Tortoise" :lol:

BTW while we're on the topic, I should remind us all that Fall Out Boy itself is a Simpsons reference 💁🏻‍♂️✨ (Even though I knew the character before the band, I for some reason thought the band came first)
    Hey y'all I'm on a Chalmers binge right now! :D :neat:
    I watched "Principal and the Pauper" (better than I remembered), "Homer Goes to Prep School" (p good), and "Habeas Tortoise" (genuinely loved rewatching that one!).
    Any recommendations / ones I'm missing?
    1707089771047.png
    Recently rewatched "Smells the Roosevelts" and "Cincinnati" so not those!
    D’ohboy
    D’ohboy
    You could watch Whacking Day, his first appearance on the show…
    I Love Lisa
    I Love Lisa
    Off the top of my head Any Given Sundance and Girls Just Shauna Have Fun have larger roles for Chalmers, so maybe give them a go?
    MaggotMagnet
    MaggotMagnet
    YESSSSSSSS!!You guys are the best, thank you so much for the recommendations!!!
    I did watch "Any Given Sundance" recently, it was hilarious and gave me SO much nostalgia for being 9 years old when it came out, it totally influenced my comedy so much :lol:
    But Whacking Day and Girls Just Shauna Have Fun are perfect, I remember those but I'll have a new appreciation for them now! Thank you both!
    When DisneyPlus hides The Simpsons in my feed, thinking they can trick me into watching something else🙄
    96f744f8-a0e8-42b6-b329-8b8adb016edf_text.gif
    Jackomon
    Jackomon
    Honestly, I'd be the same way
    D’ohboy
    D’ohboy
    Okay, we can all relax. It was Hank.
    MaggotMagnet
    MaggotMagnet
    AND IT WAS GLORIOUS!!!!!! This also explains why Chalmers acts the way he does. Honestly thisis so beautiful. They had no reason to go this hard wiht this beautiful scene. Even the way he's animated is so hilarious. I'm simply obsessed. A comment there saying this explained Chalmers's father-related trauma is part of what led me to ask about it in Simpsons Questions wherein @Sgt_Snuff helpfully told me that Chalmers reveals yet more about his childhood in "Bull-E". But I'll leave the full dissertation for our Analysis thread. :lol:
    HEARING SUCH AN ICONIC VOICE IN FAMILY GUY IS LIFE CHANGING!
    truly random but i'm just thinking about this meme LOL.1705690320940.jpeg
    MaggotMagnet
    MaggotMagnet
    PSH ARE YA TRYIN TA HUMILIATE ME ON HERE?! Hahhaa. /jk. Gonna fail these so hard. I'm definitely gonna get most of these wrong as I haven't quizzed myself. @Kirk Man Shoutin’ , wanna join in and see if you do better than me? XD

1) Oh man. I can imagine that voice perfectly in my head, and I know she voices other characters, but I seriously have no name coming to mind. I'll let myself lose the point rather than guess.
    2) Hmm, man, I'm really not sure. It can't be Dan, I think he voices Scratchy based on Scratchy's screams. Guess I'll guess Harry Shearer, weirdly enough?
    3) Dan Castellanetta??!?!?
    4) Same woman who voices Agnes?!?!?!
    5) Hank Azaria? He has similar cadence/overtones to CBG, that's why i say that. And is it Kevin Michael Richardson now??!?!
    6) Hank Azaria, I'm pretty sure.

I'm ready to get pelted with tomatoes and cancelled for how badly I remembered these 💀
    D’ohboy
    D’ohboy
    1. Her name’s Tress MacNeille
    2. Wrong. It’s Dan Castellaneta. Harry voices Scratchy.
    3. Correct!
    4. Correct! Tress MacNeille again.
    5. Correct! And, recently, by Alex Désert.
    6. It’s Harry Shearer actually. Hank does the Old Jewish Man though.
    MaggotMagnet
    MaggotMagnet
    WOW, DOLPH AND AGNES BEING THE SAME IS WACKY! Lol, I did better than I thought! I got a 50%. That's an F but at least it's not an F-. Booyah!
    1705700061780.png
    i'm referencing a Dolan meme and realizing I'm quickly becoming ancient because google had no idea what i'm talking about.
    For context in case you're not as old as me.

Thanks for the enlightenment! Huh! And that's funny because when I typed "PSH ARE YA TRYIN TA HUMILIATE ME ON HERE?" I thought of it in the Old Jewish Man voice. That makes sense, I could see Hank doing that. :lol:
    I just rewatched S18E21 "24 Minutes", it was SOOO FUNNY HAHAHHAHA. Not sure how much of it is nostalgia (I was 8 when I saw it live on air), but it was genuinely so funny too. I love how serious/specific they went with the framing of that parody.
    Reactions: D’ohboy
    D’ohboy
    D’ohboy
    Glad to hear you loved that one, I thought it was pretty funny too. Ahmed Adudi.
    MaggotMagnet
    MaggotMagnet
    HAHAHA,that joke was great. I loved the TCBY joke and Homer sayin, "Hey Milhouse, who ya spyin' on? Those bullies?" :lol:
    GARIBALDI CHALMERS THE THIRD.......
    MaggotMagnet
    MaggotMagnet
    HAHAHHA @Venomrabbit that comment is cracking me up LOL but I have to ask, can you clarify what you mean there??? 🤣
    Venomrabbit
    Venomrabbit
    Gari*baldi* :D
    MaggotMagnet
    MaggotMagnet
    LOL YES!!! I'm not gonna lie, before I saw this, I was thinking about your comment while driving home. Suddenly it hit me, I FINALLY GOT THE GARIBALDI JOKE AFTER YEARS. I literally was laughing while driving🤣🤣🤣🤣YOU HAVE CHANGED MY LIFE LOL. Among the best subtle decisions the writers have ever made IMO.

🎶We put the bald in Garibaldi🎶
    Sorry, not Simpsons, but I figure there may be some KOTH fans here! Here's a chill Hank I drew this evening.
    IMG_1089.jpeg
    I'M REALIZING I NEED TO WATCH MORE GIL ...I HAVE ALWAYS LOVED THAT GUY AND I AM STARTING TO RELATE TO HIM A LOT...
    ha cha cha!!!!!
    Reactions: Sgt_Snuff
    Kirk Man Shoutin’
    Kirk Man Shoutin’
    It is a very interesting episode for the show, as it takes place over the time skip of a year but it’s not a future episode, it just happens to take place one year later, it’s definitely worth a watch as an interesting point in the series but not good in the slightest in my eyes, I think that’s one of the episodes that helped me realize that the show wasnt as good as it used to be
    D’ohboy
    D’ohboy
    Nobody likes Gil. Don’t know if he ever made me laugh once…
    MaggotMagnet
    MaggotMagnet
    Oh wow! I guess sometimes episodes that one considers badly written can still be eye-opening. I appreciate the recommendation.
    LOL, I think the fact that nobody likes Gil is what makes me tempted to care about him. i think of the coleco scene where he tries to sell the computers and fails so bad, or when he's the worst red-jacketed real estate agent in Marge and Lionel's company (can't think of name right now) XD
    Merry Christmas Dr. Nick!
    MaggotMagnet
    MaggotMagnet
    LOL, thanks for the response!!!!! XD The food I've been eating recently would definitely pass the "Window" test!
    But my big holiday is Новый Год (New Year's) so I haven't celebrated quite yet.
    Hope you have a great one!
    D’ohboy
    D’ohboy
    What’s Новый Год?
    MaggotMagnet
    MaggotMagnet
    Aw, Thanks for asking! It's a Soviet-born New Year's celebration similar to Christmas, with giftgiving done by 'Father Winter' and 'Snowflake Gal'. This nonreligious Soviet-diaspora holiday was celebrated for 100+ years, so a lot of Russian-speakers in America still celebrate it.
    We're going out to the Ukrainian restaurant, where we'll eat a bunch of food and dance (those types of restaurants usually have a disco floor and people singing/performing). It has wholesome elements but it's a lot like going clubbing with family, LOL. Many partake in alcohol, and usually they play "Rasputin" and ABBA's "Happy New Year" and everyone cries. :D
    It was funny to find these summary pics.
    IMG_1020.jpeg
    IMG_1019.jpeg
    IMG_1028.jpeg
    Can't wait!
    *dr nick voice* MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYBODY!!!!!

skinner and chalmers fondue set cropped_half1.pngskinner and chalmers fondue set cropped_half2.png
    have some ridiculous art I made because of that 1 joke in Yokel Chords LOL!
    It's actually an illustration for a fanfic XD

I can't believe how this came out , I am so proud oh my goodness but it's 4 AM and I need to go to bed LOL

Also on Twitter and IG
    Oh my gosh, I am reading this fan script I found on NoHomers fan scripts and quietly LAUGHING MY A' OFF!!!!!

The comedic timing and jokes are SPOT ON, it feels so hilariously like a Season 10 episode.
    I wonder what year it came out - probably circa 2006 because it misspells "You Tube".
    Edit: Bingo, I was right; it was written for a 2006 college thesis!

I hope the fan writer, Sean Redmond, is doing well these days!
    Yesterday, a writer I admire critiqued my latest fanfic for being written TOO much like the show! I was shocked. She said, at that point, there's no point in reading my story if she can just go watch the show.
    It was a tough criticism to get, but I find it a pretty flattering problem to have! XD
    Reactions: Sgt_Snuff
    Sgt_Snuff
    Sgt_Snuff
    @Kirk Man Shoutin’ Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, maybe criticism can be the harshest form of flattery?
    MaggotMagnet
    MaggotMagnet
    Aww, thank you guys!!! I certainly didn't expect so many comments from buddies and appreciate all your support! :D
    I wanted to clarify that I truly respect the friend who wrote the constructive criticism, and she was helpful and nice about it!
    I feel like her goal was to get me out of my comfort zone which is noble. I replied to her this afternoon with gratitude.

@ Kirk Man Shoutin' : Yeah!! I was so honored she took the time to read it, she's a huge supporter of my works and her own stuff is as hilarious and engaging as it is well-written, so her critique really meant a lot to me!

@BloodySimpsonChibi : Mmm...Original Tart is my favorite Frogurt flavor! Thank you; I generally consider it a good thing too, and I find also find canon writing pretty fun. However I think the intent was that, because I stick so close to canon, it doesn't present anything that readers haven't seen before. She prefers more romantic scenes, and because I stuck to canon, I didn't get as intimate a view of the characters as a less canon story.

@Sgt_Snuff : Thank you for asking! It was a mixture of compliments and constructive critique. It was about her own preferences for fluff fics, and the reason my stuff is frustrating to read is because I give the characters the same 'relationship tension' they have in the show, so nothing ever gets resolved LOL. The end of my fics tend to "go back to normal" like the show.
    And the 'harshest form of flattery' part is so well said! Personally I only take the time to critique episodes if I think there's something redeemable about 'em, so I do take it as a compliment!
    BloodySimpsonChibi
    BloodySimpsonChibi
    Oh yeah. I suppose The Simpsons doesn't lend itself to the fluffy shippy heights that fanfiction in general is known for. Still, glad you appreciate your friend's constructive criticism
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
Back