View Poll Results: How would you rate this episode?

Voters
122. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5: Nah-nah-nah-nah-nah-nah-nah-nah-Leader!

21 17.21%
  • 4/5: Jiminy jillickers, Batman!

34 27.87%
  • 3/5: Day or Knight

37 30.33%
  • 2/5: I'll sue Al Jean

15 12.30%
  • 1/5: The Dark Knight Fails

15 12.30%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rate and Review: "Dark Knight Court" (RABF10)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Yeah, I find this... not even a Modern Simpson episode. Even the Modern Simpsons have a couple of clever jokes that gives a chuckle instead of a laugh, and a average storyline... but this... this felt more like an ACTUAL, I SAY ACTUAL Court Drama, not even close to a comedy.
    This will be short, because there's barely anything good here.

1/5 - Their is barely any jokes here that will even give you a minor chuckle.
    1.5/5 - The story... I would not say is even close to a superhero parody, because parodies make fun of superheroes... this felt more like a Court Drama... and no, it wasn't a good Court Drama. I'm aware that some of the ideas are reused, and reused ideas have been great many times... but this, the reused ideas here are at one of it's worst.
    4/5 - THE ONLY THING GOOD is the Batman-Influenced Music... that's it... That's it people, just the music, that's all.

I thought the last episode was bland and boring until I saw this... 2/5. Honestly, I was expecting more than this. I saw who the writers and who the director were, they made some fantastic work for both modern and classic Simpsons, they made a great combination before and I believed they can make another fine episode... unexpectedly... this is got to be their worst work I've seen from any of them, and they made some great Modern Simpson Episodes.

So Far My Opinions On Season 24
    Moonshine River... 2/5 (Horrible)
    Treehouse of Horror XXIII... 4/5 (Great)
    Adventures In Baby-getting... 4.5/5 (Great)
    Gone Abie Gone... 4/5 (Great)
    Penny Wiseguys... 2.5/5 (Horrible)
    A Tree Grows in Springfield... 3.5/5 (Good)
    The Day the Earth Stood Cool... 4.5/5 (Great)
    To Cur, With Love... 5/5 (So far my favorite) (PUT THIS IN THE CLASSICS)
    Homer Goes To Prep School... 3/5 (Average)
    A Test Before Trying... 3/5 (Average)
    Love is a Many-Splintered Thing... 2.5/5 (Horrible)
    Hardly Kirk-ing"... 4/5 (Great)
    Gorgeous Grampa... 3.5/5 (Average)
    Black-Eyed, Please... 3.5/5 (Average)
    Dark Knight Court... 2/5 (Horrible)

Banned

Perfect episode, 5/5, best of the season. Dispite the plot being a photocopy of "The Father, The Son, and the Holy Guest Star," even Willie being the one who got Bart in trouble, I liked this alot. Liked Mr. Burns as Batman.
    Last edited by bomberswarm2; 03-18-2013 at 04:32 PM.

Blog Entries

I'm surprised how many jokes in this episode worked for me.

I'm not your friend-o Cartoonnetwork's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well, like most people I was expecting worse.

Burns' love for superhero comics was kind of well played. Just for the start it seemed kind of contrived, that he had to enter to the CBG's shop because the mob pushes him, but then again, that's kind of the thing, he wouldn't normally go to those places. I liked the flashback about him reading comics when he was a kid, and I bought when he decided to become a superhero himself. So the introduction to the story was pretty well done and that helped to believe the plot. The rest of the stuff wasn't terrible but I wasn't crazy about it either. I know it's not supposed to be super realistic but the thing with the Springfield citizens disguised in completely different costumes didn't do it for me. To me it would have been funnier to actually show Smithers giving specific instructions to poor disguised Homer, Lenny, Carl or other guys and then they playing it badly. I would have liked to see Burns enjoying his power and looking a little more menacing too.

But overall I sort of enjoyed it a little just because Burns has became such an underused and passive character lately that I kind of enjoyed seeing him in a wacky scheme, even if this was a bit wackier than usual.

I actually liked the Bart story, it could have served a little more suspense, but I was actually interested to know if Bart was lying or there was another suspect and who would be. Janet Reno was ok. I didn't think Moe was not supposed to know Bart was the phone prankster and yeah, now that I think of it, I liked it better when he didn't know, but I didn't find it too awful.

They tried to tie up the two stories but it was a little contrived with that Burns chasing Willie scene that didn't work so well. Also I didn't understand the whole dialogue so maybe I miss some subtle or important detail but it seemed uncharacteristic of Smithers to reveal the truth for Burns so suddenly. Why did he take so much care to create the lie and then he confess so quickly? For Smithers, who admires his boss so much, Burns should have acted in a very mean way to him or others before he decided to go against his boss and break his feelings about being a real hero. Burns just didn't act mean enough to Lisa or Smithers, considering how mean Burns can be. I guess Smithers was kind of playing Alfred in the last Dark Knight movie when Bruce and him have a discussion, but I didn't buy the discussion in the Nolan movie to begin with.

I actually enjoyed the Dependables thing as a show post-zinger. It really worked better that way than I thought when watching it in isolated form. The mere fact that they are doing these post-zingers with gags that are kind of related to the plot-and not a labored and completely unrelated short- gives the ending a classic feel.

So in general I found it entertaining, even though I thought Burns and Smithers weren't in perfect character and none of the plots were especially the best ideas ever, but they were developed in a half-decent way, with some good pacing/direction/action/music and jokes. As others I loved Mr. Largo here and Homer conducting the orchestra, which for some reason felt a pretty classic gag.

3,5/5, probably rounded down to 3/5
    Last edited by Cartoonnetwork; 03-18-2013 at 03:10 AM.
    My Simpsons homage!

http://elblogderg.blogspot.com

Blog Entries

3.5/5 rounded down to 3/5; good episode.
    I really like that Bart didn't do it.

The story felt confused and didn't really go anywhere for long periods. With that said, the episode did have a few moments that i really liked. The scene with Bart and Maggie was really cute, and i laughed more at the whole Mike Rotch-speech than i have laughed at a any other Simpsons joke in a long, long time.

But good God they need to stop portraying Bart as such a bland character. He goes entire episodes these days without saying any kind of witty remark, while Bart in the classic seasons made some kind of wisecrack just about every second or third line.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kangdos View Post
    The scene with Bart and Maggie was really cute
    Really like this scene too!

Quote Originally Posted by Boots View Post
    Batman and Robin (1997) was funnier than this episode.
    The Nostalgia Critic review of it yes

vs. Radioactive Man Captain Squid's Avatar

I could've sworn that a past episode had Moe acknowledging that Bart is the one who prank calls him.

Anyway, I personally didn't think it "ruined" the classic era running gag or anything. As a Law & Order fan I actually thought the bit with Moe recounting a prank call was kind of funny, though it did go on too long. Also, that end bit with Moe wasn't necessary... though I did like the staging.
    UP AND ATOM!

Blog Entries

Pretty good episode. But the b-plot was just weird.

3/5

I'm not your friend-o Cartoonnetwork's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nebuchanezzar View Post
    i get it. bruce wayne is old; that is what real elderly super heroes would be like. that's a decent idea, but the way it was done wasn't funny or well considered, such that it came across as more than a little lame. i think the major factor that contributed to that impression was that they used burns instead of one of the other elderly springfieldians. i can't help but draw comparisons between the burns of two cars in every garage, three eyes on every fish and the burns of this episode. actually, i wouldn't be half upset if they used burns in a different way, like the way this plot demanded, IF it was done for a good reason. but an entire episode featuring stock standard jokes about how an elderly man would act if he was a superhero seems like a stretch. this part of the episode would be better suited for one joke. instead, the one joke was stretched over a good 10 min or so.
    I kinda agree with this. Before watching the episode I thought it was an awful idea. After watching it I didn't think it was that bad but they needed stronger material to make a plot out of it. Yeah, most of what Burns does is not so different to what other senile citizen would do. The only reason why Burns was used instead of other elderly citiizen was because he has the money and power (and Smithers) to pull it off, but his personality didn't show that much. It wasn't completely out of character as I first thought but it lacked some more 'character' moments.

So I agree with you that it was like something they could have used in classic era for one joke but not for an entire episode. I can totally imagine it in a Jean/Reiss episode or whatever: Burns and Smithers are shown in the Android Dungeon, maybe even a short flashback, then he buys some comics and says to Smithers that he wants to become a superhero, in the next scene we see him dressed as Batman and he tries to do something but fails, cut to another scene. A little like that joke of him creating his own sect in the Movementarians episode.

Overall it was ok, but it looks like they needed better ideas if they really wanted to make an entire plot about this. But then again, it could have been much worse with anatomical jokes and Burns wasn't totally super-good-zombie-Burns like he was in A Hunka Hunka Burns In Love, so it's passable.

And yeah, it's kind of a contradiction after his deffense of villains in Gorgeous Grampa but meh, I guess he hasn't ever been extremely consistent in his crazy ideas and he has always had some senile moments. At least he picked the 'darkest' of the good guys.

On an unrelated note Moe recalling the prank call and Homer conducting the orchestra were indeed longer than they needed to be, but all things considered, I thought they were pretty decent 'overlong' gags. If they need to fill time I much prefer something like these jokes instead of a character yelling or having electroshocks or a labored couch gag. I actually think the part with Homer conducting the orchestra was pretty enjoyable. Somebody said Homer's faces were retarded. I thought they were actually funny faces, which is something we don't see so often in the recent animation. Loved Mr. Largo's reaction to it as well.
    Last edited by Cartoonnetwork; 03-18-2013 at 08:15 AM.

Out of touch old timer Nebuchanezzar's Avatar

on that subject: KUDOS ON THE SHORT COUCH GAG! i kinda giggled for once, instead of wondering when it was going to be over.
    We are trying to archive all of the noteworthy, substantial and important Simpsons related posts/threads on the NHC. This website hosts an enormous library of great observations that ought to be catalogued in a library of online criticism. If you know of any threads that fit this bill PLEASE CONTRIBUTE to the link below.

CLICK HERE

Also of interest:
    My grades and reviews of every episode from seasons 1-7

Bring on the men Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

YES! I forgot to mention that. I breathed a huge sigh of relief when I saw that.
    Favorite and least favorite by season
    1. Krusty Gets Busted There’s No Disgrace Like Home 2. Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3. Homer at the Bat Like Father, Like Clown 4. Brother From the Same Planet Krusty Gets Kancelled 5. Cape Feare Lady Bouvier’s Lover 6. Homer Badman Another Simpsons Clip Show 7. King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8. Homer’s Enemy El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer 9. Bart Carny The Trouble With Trillions 10. Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: “Kidney Trouble” 11. Guess Who’s Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12. HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13. Tales From the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14. The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15. I, Annoyed Grunt)-bot Bart-Mangled Banner 16. A Star is Torn On a Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister 17. My Fair Laddy Bonfire of the Manatees 18. The Haw-Hawed Couple You Kent Always Say What You Want 19. Funeral for a Fiend All About Lisa 20. Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21. The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22. Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23. The Falcon and the D’ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24. Hardly Kirk-ing Moonshine River 25. The War of Art What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police Let’s Go Fly a Coot 27. Halloween of Horror Lisa With an ‘S’ 28. There Will Be Buds Moho House 29. Springfield Splendor Throw Grampa From the Dane

Am I the only person who liked this episode? I thought it was really funny. I think it would have been better for someone else to be the 'super-hero' since Mr Burns seems to old and feeble to be one. But overall, I liked it. 4/5

Bring on the men Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The strength of Mr. Burns seemed to fluctuate wildly in this episode. It was very inconsistent.

16. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Tubbb!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Financial Panther View Post
    The strength of Mr. Burns seemed to fluctuate wildly in this episode. It was very inconsistent.
    Well, the writers have already proven that they don't give a crap about contunity, so why does it matter at this point?

@AngusCastle, I liked it as well, but not as much as you did. For this season though, I thought it was decent.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Gonna watch this right now. I'll be right back.

Tyrant Beats James Holzhauer! D DEBBS's Avatar

Near perfect episode: I would have have the Burns storyline and ditched the Bart plot.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I really liked this episode, but just like @D DEBBS, I didn't like the Bart plot. I would have just expanded on the Mr Burns subplot a bit more. Though I really liked the chalkboard and couch gag and the DC parody was pretty good.

8/10 B+

that guy you forgot existed Judge Fudge's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I wasn't expecting much, but this was absolutely perfect. Best episode I've seen in 2 or 3 seasons. I really don't understand all the hate for it. 10/10
    Plus, Hans Moleman as Iron Lung basically made my day.

Blog Entries

This was all right.

Burns' motivation actually didn't bother me that much because I viewed it as him just wanting to do it for fun and amusement, and not really for any altruistic ideals. It was more of a matter of him identifying with one of the superheroes, and like a little kid, wanting to roleplay as one of them. If he had taken the angle of "I want to save people!" as his motivation, of course I wouldn't buy it at all. After all, this is a Burns who, at the end, was asking if he was on the Good or Evil side... That stuff doesn't matter to him. Burns has always had a streak of childishness in him and it was an extremely smart decision to push that characterization angle instead.

So Burns' subplot worked for me. There were a lot of good visual jokes in it, particular some of the montage ones. Loved the one with Homer, Lenny, and Carl dressed as the Batman villains (nice quick gag). I liked the idea of Smithers just paying everyone off, and am glad we were spared an image of Smithers dressing up like Robin. The only downside with the Burns stuff is that it didn't feel completely fresh for me... Felt very Venture Bros.-ish.

Bart's story was pretty boring, mostly. Nothing offensive, nothing overly great. Janet Reno was an amusing choice, if only for the randomness. I liked the marching band formation jokes, with the "racist" cap on it. Homer conducting was just random and weird, however. I like the concept of Moe's phone joke, especially for the payoff... But, yeah, definitely waaaaaaaay too long. If they're going for faux-drama, then they should have shot it different and did all the Law & Order tropes.

3.5/5

Banned
    Blog Entries

@ Everyone who commented on my pop..

My dad just likes garbage T.V. is all... and has seen all the Simpsons and FG episodes.. probably ever (almost). He just seems to like the worst one's.

Although he hated the one where Grandpa's eyes fall out and "Homer 'N Ned's Hail Mary Pass" as much as I did.
    So he has some taste.. I think he just likes crude and zany better than smart and emotional.
    Although he does enjoy old Futurama more ..and says something feels off in the new one's.. (just like everyone says)..... so go figure.

This episode proves the point why this show should have been taken off the air years ago...
    Last edited by GEO9875; 03-18-2013 at 08:49 PM.

CG Rigger/Freelance Designer Robotics's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nebuchanezzar View Post
    on that subject: KUDOS ON THE SHORT COUCH GAG! i kinda giggled for once, instead of wondering when it was going to be over.
    Off-topic, but for some reasons I can not imagine you giggling.

Anyways, I forgot to get this episode onto my PVR-- and looks like I won't be reviewing it until next week with the minimal amount of time I have.

Like I said, it seems the Simpsons staff thinks all Sideshow Mel is good for is sticking into crowds so he can say something in that voice of his (this wasn't Al Jean's doing, it has been going on since the Mike Scully era!)

As for the 1998 flashback, that looked like another insult to the fans with messing up the continuity...

The first act and the Matt Groening cameo were fun. I also liked the bit with Smithers hiring Krusty, Sideshow Mel and Mr. Teeny (in drag!) to play out the crime scene. (Is it just me, or is it that since the start of the Al Jean era, the whole "rubber mask" device has become more and more common?)

Who'd the mysterious Chris Edgely voice in this episode? I don't think I heard him (was he credited by mistake?)

Blog Entries

It's not really messing up with continuity putting the flashback in 1998. They have to do that because the show is 25 years old, some people would complain about continuity if they put the flashback at a much earlier date. Yeah it's weird but they kinda have to do this. Either changing the dates as the years go by or not mentioning the date of the flashback at all.

Quote Originally Posted by zachbigmac View Post
    @Swoony your just a poser and dont tell me
    your not cause i can read you like a fucking book.

Don't you know I am serious!! Rembrandt Q. Einstein_1's Avatar

Not many votes here, huh? And Bart & Maggie? Wha?
    In order to effect the maximum taste out of food such as a boiled sweet.

vs. Radioactive Man Captain Squid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Knifey_Spoony View Post
    It's not really messing up with continuity putting the flashback in 1998. They have to do that because the show is 25 years old, some people would complain about continuity if they put the flashback at a much earlier date. Yeah it's weird but they kinda have to do this. Either changing the dates as the years go by or not mentioning the date of the flashback at all.
    Could have had Grampa in his usual design thinking back to a senior trip to Washington, but yeah, I agree. At this point 1998 is ages ago and Janet Reno served from 1993 to 2001.

Nintendo Dance Party! ManiacalRoboKiller's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wiley207 View Post
    The first act and the Matt Groening cameo were fun. I also liked the bit with Smithers hiring Krusty, Sideshow Mel and Mr. Teeny (in drag!) to play out the crime scene. (Is it just me, or is it that since the start of the Al Jean era, the whole "rubber mask" device has become more and more common?)
    Nope it's not just you I've noticed it as well. Al Jean must think that's the funniest joke/gag in Television/cartoon history!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bart Flimpson's Dracula View Post
    Like Seth MacFarlane's addiction to creating terrible new shows, Matt Groening has a problem with concluding a show. He needs therapy.

"Modern Simpsons" defender simpsonsbart's Avatar

Moe knows his prank caller is Bart (see "The regina monologues"), but says it's Mike Crotch in this episode, WHAT? What have you got with this episode? It's one of the best episodes of the Season! And I don't say it because i'm French, I would have say if I was American! 4/5

Thread Information