View Poll Results: How would you rate this episode?

Voters
122. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5: Nah-nah-nah-nah-nah-nah-nah-nah-Leader!

21 17.21%
  • 4/5: Jiminy jillickers, Batman!

34 27.87%
  • 3/5: Day or Knight

37 30.33%
  • 2/5: I'll sue Al Jean

15 12.30%
  • 1/5: The Dark Knight Fails

15 12.30%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rate and Review: "Dark Knight Court" (RABF10)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Junior Camper

I really liked it. The episode actually had a lot of good jokes that worked well for me, and honestly the pacing seemed on to me.

I'm not someone who gets upset when the show acts like a "cartoon" and Burns not being evil, doesn't ruin an episode for me. I think those who hated this, already hated it before it aired, and that wasn't going to change.

Executive Vice President Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MuchAdoAboutNothing View Post
    Nope, he commented that Burns had a cute bod.
    Jesus fuck. I must have missed that. I knew it was too good to be true.
    Favorite and least favorite by season
    1. Krusty Gets Busted There’s No Disgrace Like Home 2. Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3. Homer at the Bat Like Father, Like Clown 4. Brother From the Same Planet Krusty Gets Kancelled 5. Cape Feare Lady Bouvier’s Lover 6. Homer Badman Another Simpsons Clip Show 7. King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8. Homer’s Enemy El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer 9. Bart Carny The Trouble With Trillions 10. Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: “Kidney Trouble” 11. Guess Who’s Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12. HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13. Tales From the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14. The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15. I, Annoyed Grunt)-bot Bart-Mangled Banner 16. A Star is Torn On a Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister 17. My Fair Laddy Bonfire of the Manatees 18. The Haw-Hawed Couple You Kent Always Say What You Want 19. Funeral for a Fiend All About Lisa 20. Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21. The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22. Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23. The Falcon and the D’ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24. Hardly Kirk-ing Moonshine River 25. The War of Art What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police Let’s Go Fly a Coot 27. Halloween of Horror Lisa With an ‘S’ 28. There Will Be Buds Moho House 29. Springfield Splendor Throw Grampa From the Dane

Blog Entries

What in the world is a bod?

Blog Entries

Body, it means a hot body.

"went to pick up cigarettes" Tubbb!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

Never mind. TDOI beat me to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedwaySquad View Post
    You liked this episode, I didn't. There's no need to get so worked up about it.
    "In Rand McNally, they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people!"
    "Oh, I've wasted my life."

Well... the Burn's plot was weird but the whole episode itself was ok.
    Like to see old characters in the crowd or in the backgrounds (like Brad Goodman, Dr. Zweig, Don Brodka, Evelyn -Scenes from the Class Struggle in Springfield-, Francine's Parents -"Bye bye Nerdie"-, Mindy, Lugash, Zelda, Utter eating the chocolate bunny, Stacy Lavelle and Birch Barlow.

And I like Marge doing laundry of Bumblebee Man´s pants, Duffman´s costume and Sideshow Mel´s bone.
    Season 26
    Clown in the Dumps: 2/5 | The Wreck of the Relationship: 3.5/5 | Super Franchise Me: 4.5/5 | Treehouse of Horror XXV: 5/5 | Opposites A-Frack: 3/5 | Simpsorama: 4.5/5

I drink too much wine, I forget things.
    In order to remember them, I drink more wine.

Nintendo Dance Party! ManiacalRoboKiller's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bradbradford View Post
    I'm not someone who gets upset when the show acts like a "cartoon" and Burns not being evil, doesn't ruin an episode for me. I think those who hated this, already hated it before it aired, and that wasn't going to change.
    So you're saying you don't care when one of the greatest character on television's characterization is COMPLETELY botched? This is the same Mr. Burns who just TWO episodes ago sang a song about how he love's being evil/villain. Now we get a piece of turd episode like this making him a hero. Are the writers that old and senile that they can't remember characterizations and plots they JUST had? It boggles the mind!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bart Flimpson's Dracula View Post
    Like Seth MacFarlane's addiction to creating terrible new shows, Matt Groening has a problem with concluding a show. He needs therapy.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Evans View Post
    This episode was FUCKING awful! >_> How can you have an episode like this right after "Gorgeous Grampa" and "Black-Eyed Please" TWO modern classics! This was just.... embarrassing. I got like one chuckle that's it. I mean it was nice to see Herman and Rainer cameos but that doesn't make the episode good. 1/5 = F
    I don't believe I've watched any new episodes this season, but I decided to tune in tonight because I was at my parents' place (where there's actually a TV) and I must say I found it better than most people here did. Perhaps my expectations were lower because the last time I watched the show regularly (a few seasons ago) the show was much worse than it is now I find. But I'll have to check those two episodes out (Gorgeous Grampa and Black-Eyed Please).

Executive Vice President Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Oh yeah...more Chalmers. Are the writers attracted to him or something?

Season 25: Chalmers reveals his gay relationship with Skinner to the school. Skinner disapproves of the reveal, and suddenly their relationship is on the rocks. Can they rekindle their past flames, or will Chalmers have to move in with Smithers?

Blog Entries

I'm thinking about skipping this episode because I don't want to see old jokes, "bod", or Chalmers.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Financial Panther View Post

Season 25: Chalmers reveals his gay relationship with Skinner to the school. Skinner disapproves of the reveal, and suddenly their relationship is on the rocks. Can they rekindle their past flames, or will Chalmers have to move in with Smithers?
    You watch. That'll actually happen. I'd bet good money on it!

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Financial Panther View Post

CHALMERS: Skinnnnnerrrrrrr!!!!!....that wasn't half bad.
    Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

I tried watching a new episode the Simpsons, but I realized the show hit a new low, like a brand new, underground parking structure of sadness.

Blog Entries

On the second viewing, I noticed that Willie said he made sweet love to "Lunchlady Dora." Not "Doris," but "Dora."
    His mouth was even clearly animated to accommodate the word "Doris."

14. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Swoony

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Professorfrink View Post
    Act 3

A couple of mistakes but overall A

current episode rating: A
    here's an idea: how about you wait until the episodes's over instead of spamming this thread with multiple posts

edit: on multiple boards, too

Blog Entries

1.5/5

Well it was bad but it wasen't as terrible as "A Splintered thing". It wasn't very funny but there wasn't really anything cringworthy.
    Also it was paced very strangly.

It was alright. None of the jokes made me cringe, but Homer conducting and Moe's testimony went on a little too long. I was able to get a few laughs out of it though, so i'll give it a 3/5.

Blog Entries

What a terrible episode. Like I expected, Burns' plot was filled with old jokes and him acted like a dumb, senile clown. When he thought his stuffed bear was his mother, I cringed. Why can't the writers just make Burns evil?!? Is it that hard to make him a bitter old man without adding constant old/weak jokes? The montage of the people faking getting hurt by Burns and Smithers giving them money was horrible.

However, aside from Moe telling the jury about Mike Crotch (I thought Moe didn't know that Bart was the prankcaller?) Bart's plot was okay. Though a bit boring, it certainly was a lot better than the dreadful Fruit Batman .

You know what!? They should just retire Burns and Smithers. I'm sick of seeing them because they're never used properly anymore. They're either used for old/gay jokes or for a stupid OOC line.

Rating: 0.5/5, 1/5 on poll.

ooooooooooooooooooh leprechaun_dan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

So Moe knows Bart is his mysterious prank caller now? What the fuck. That's a real kick in the nuts to classic fans of the show. Not to mention the lingering Mike Rotch "joke" that lasted about one minute. Way to kill a classic joke. This episode was mediocre. The Burns subplot was dull in some parts, but it was okay I guess. I was waiting for Apu to respond to his name by saying "Fruit Bat Man? What kinda name is that?" or something. Too bad that never happened. The beginning had something going for it, I liked Burns' flashback on his life and the voice acting for his father. And more flashbacks of Grampa's past? Why are the writers so obsessed with his past this season? Overall, a mediocre effort (wasn't expecting anything great) to an otherwise decent season so far.

2/5
    [SIZE=1] Check out my South Park episode ideas in my user notes (Note: It's the fifth and last note): http://www.nohomers.net/usernote.php...ewuser&u=41294

"I got blisters on me fingers!" ~ Ringo Starr (Helter Skelter)

Led Zeppelin IV > Houses of the Holy > Physical Graffiti > Led Zeppelin II > Led Zeppelin I > Led Zeppelin III > Presence > In Through the Out Door > Coda

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

3/5 - not anything we really haven't seen before

Written by Billy Kimball & Ian Maxtone-Graham
    Directed by Mark Kirkland
    Billboard: Herman's Antiques (And Guns)
    Blackboard: JESUS'S LAST WORDS WERE NOT "TGIF"
    Couch: Marge, Bart, Lisa, and Maggie have their faces painted on eggs, which are on a nest on the couch; Homer enters and sits on them
    Special Guest Voice: Janet Reno & Maggy Reno Hurchalla
    Also Starring: Pamela Hayden, Tress MacNeille, Russi Taylor, Chris Edgerly
    "Easter Parade" vocals by Michael Dees
    Overseas Animation: Akom
    TV Rating: TV-PG-DLSV

Dedicated to the memory of Robert Reno.

Apparently, Janet Reno was voiced both by herself and by her younger sister Maggy. Or is there another explanation for the shared credit?

Janet and Maggy Reno donated their fees to The Innocence Project.

Russi Taylor rates with the "A-list semi-regulars", as she is credited before Chris Edgerly.

The courtroom artist that looks like Matt Groening but is right-handed appears again.

One of the comic books inside The Android's Dungeon was Bongo Comics, and Bongo the rabbit was on the cover (but he's purple).

Mr. Burns paid $96,485.34, which is the Faraday constant (in Coulombs/mole) rounded to 2 decimal places. (The "speed of light" price would have been $299,792.46, which is km/sec.)

Why wasn't Lisa in the band when it showed up in front of the Simpson house?

The number of band members in "Homer wearing a sombrero" is far greater than the number in either of the two Barts.

"Anybody can conduct Sousa" - in fact, for a $10,000 donation to the Boston Pops, you can conduct them playing "The Stars & Stripes Forever" (or, if you prefer, Leroy Anderson's "Sleigh Ride").

Mr. Burns is reading Detection Comics #1 from 1938.

Since when does Moe know that it was Bart making the prank calls?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leprechaun_dan View Post
    So Moe knows Bart is his mysterious prank caller now? What the fuck. That's a real kick in the nuts to classic fans of the show. Not to mention the lingering Mike Rotch "joke" that lasted about one minute. Way to kill a classic joke.
    2/5
    Ok I'm glad I wan't the only one bothered by that. Since when did Moe know it had been Bart prank calling him.
    And Moe explaining the joke for a full minute basically ruined it!

Banned
    Blog Entries

Okay, my Dad loved this one and he loves FG and hates Bob's Burgers.
    He thought Fruitbatman was genius.
    Also his favorite Simpsons years were the Scully era...

What does that tell you.

Blog Entries

That your Dad likes craziness and hasn't watched seasons 1-8. No offense

Blog Entries

What does that tell you.
    Call child services.

I have no idea how old you are. lol

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

What does that tell you.
    He represents the 80% of the idiot public?

Remember Me As I Was 1010011010's Avatar
    Blog Entries

What does that tell you.
    You Dad has about the same attention span as a lobotomized teenager smoking Marijuana has the exact same opinion as everyone in my school, minus the Simpsons part.
    Just because I'm stupider than them, they think they're smarter than me!
    Simpsons Season 27 Ratings:
    Every Man's Dream-4.8/10 Cue Detective-6/10 Puffless-7/10 Halloween of Horror-8.4/10 Treehouse of Horror XXVI-(4.5, 5, 3.5) 4.25/10 Friend With Benefit-5/10 Lisa With An 'S'-5.5/10 Paths of Glory--/10 Barthood--/10 The Girl Code--/10 Teenage Mutant Milk-Caused Hurdles--/10 Much Apu About Something--/10 Gal of Constant Sorrow--/10 Love Is in the N2-O2-Ar-CO2-Ne-He-CH4--/10 Lisa the Veterinarian--/10 The Marge-ian Chronicles--/10 The Burns Cage--/10 How Lisa Got Her Marge Back--/10 Fland Canyon--/10 Simprovised--/10 To Courier With Love--/10 Orange is the New Yellow--/10
    Futurama Season 7B Ratings:
    2-D Blacktop-7.5/10 Fry and Leela's Big Fling-7.9/10 T.: The Terrestrial-8.2/10 Forty Percent Leadbelly-6.8/10 The Inhuman Torch-8.4/10 Saturday Morning Fun Pit-(9, 7, 8.5) 8.2/10 Calculon 2.0-8.7/10 Assie Come Home-8.5/10 Leela and the Genestalk-7.2/10 Game of Tones-9.2/10 Murder on The Planet Express-9/10 Stench and Stenchibility-8.5/10 Meanwhile-9.5/10
    Jumping the Shark since 1998...
    Alternate Ending Winner of NHC Survivor Season 1

Remember Me As I Was 1010011010's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I..I have no idea what I really saw.

Act 1: After the simple Couch Gag, we have Mr. Burns suddenly have a love for comic books and wants to be a good Superhero. I guess this might be his hidden childhood we've never heard about, but wouldn't it make more sense for him to want to be a Super Villain, or just not even become a guy from a Comic Book at all? We have to sit through him painfully becoming ''Fruit-Bat Man'' or whatever this extremely lame Superhero thing is and act like a senile man throughout this episode? Bart is being chased down for a pretty tame crime with pretty much no punishment explained, so he has to go to Youth Court (is that even a thing?) to get his name cleared. There were a few laughs at the Easter Parade, but Homer's interactions with the band went really long and unfunny to begin with, and Bart trying to get his name cleared because he didn't do it was just done badly and in a way where I didn't really give a crap what happened to him.

Act 2: Janet Reno wasn't a good guest star. Can't really say anything else. Her lines were just read pretty dull and she wasn't much different from a regular voice done for a background character. Even her George Bush line didn't really make me laugh that much. Hell, pretty much everything done in the Court Room scenes were pretty boring and couldn't get me to really care about Bart at all. There was no punishment that would happen to Bart that would keep me worried for him, nothing funny to keep me in, the dialogue was said as dull as a regular court scene, it was just boring. Mr. Burns plot was only slightly more interesting than this mess. Just the entire thing about Burns dressing up and fighting crime under the stupidest name ever is really out of character. I guess the first time Smithers paid for Apu and Snake to pretend Burns saves them was kind of funny to watch, but then Smithers use's Burns money like his own and gets the entire town to play an act for him which is extremely stupid to watch, especially when how quick it was done.

Act 3: So they brought Sideshow Bob to a Public School just for a child's case? Fuck logic and safety. While we're at it, let's fuck the Simpsons logic even more by having Moe know about Bart's phone pranks and weep about it for a full minute. Don't have it come on as a surprise or anything, or have it as a quick joke, really make Moe weep like a bitch and ruin a classic joke forever. THANKS! And now the Burns plot apparently will help the court case now. Sure, why not. The episodes already done worser things in the episode already, I can handle this no matter how stupid it is.

Act 4: By the extreme deduction of Lisa's ungodly brain, we can get that by an egg being slightly differently rubbed on a Kilt that it must've been Willie who did the prank. My ass is in pain. So anyway, Burn's chases Willie down, Bart's proven to be innocent without much care, Willie isn't punished at all, Burns continues to be Fruit Bat-Man for the rest of the episode, and hell freezes over again. At least that terrible Avengers thing was non-canon, but still, this episode was terrible.

So much of this episode was either really stupid or boring. The court case didn't have any incentive at all for Bart and was pretty much just there to put Janet Reno in the episode, and the Fruit Bat Man plot was extremely out of character for Burns to do. It didn't do many Superhero jokes, the town was involved with the entire thing way to well, and was only leading up to senile Burns jokes and a terrible conclusion. It was paced terribly, this makes Batman and Robin look like The Dark Knight in how horrible it is.

Overall: 4.6/10 or 2/5 for the poll.

Also, doublepostyay (waiting for someone else to post before doing it).

Nature's Cruelest Mistake Infinity183's Avatar

I gawked when I first heard about this episode's setup, but I actually sort of enjoyed Mr. Burns posing as a superhero. The character's nostalgic love of classic comics smartly plays into his shot at becoming a superhero himself. This kind of wild venture would never cross the minds of most of Springfield's citizens, but Mr. Burns is so engulfed by his wealth and arrogance, that it actually seems like a plausible idea for him. He proudly considers himself so powerful that he'll undergo any crazy scheme just to get attention, even if it means dressing up like a fruit bat and combatting crime. Burns is so trapped in this invincible mindset that he's blinded from his feeble exterior, which leads to a lot of comedic opportunities. Admittedly, having Smithers gather townspeople to act a crime is a bit of an uninspired segue into Burns' activity as Fruit-Batman, but again, Burns' arrogance makes his unawareness of the situation sort of funny. On it's own, this premise would appear little more than just a cheap poke at Batman, but again, the casting is clever and there's enough of a backstory that it makes sense.

With that all said, I would have liked to have seen Mr. Burns' stunt as a superhero as the primary plot, rather than just a mostly unrelated supplement to the Easter mystery (why did they air an Easter episode on St. Patrick's Day, anyway?). The story involving the trial is where all of this episode's major flaws come afoot. Janet Reno has to be one of the more farfetched guest star choices in several years, and it doesn't help that she plays such a significant role here. To be fair, her performance isn't terrible or anything, but admit it, bringing in a former Attorney General to oversee a trial in Springfield over a holiday prank is a bit extravagant. Most of the dialogue during the court case isn't very funny and basically just an excuse to cough up a few jokes pertaining to the prominent guest star. Most of time, I'm only half-paying attention to the case itself because I'm still distracted by her overbearing presence. The final confrontation between Willie and Burns as Fruit-Batman is pretty amusing, but I still would have preferred a smoother lead-up, with more attention centered around the major characters instead of Reno.

I also disliked the decision to dramatize Moe's prank call experience as evidence against Bart, and that almost pains me, since I'm probably one of the biggest fans of that running gag - it's a major reason why New Kid on the Block is one of my favorite episodes. Maybe this joke could have worked with speedier execution, but it really backfires against Moe's crotchetiness (no pun intended), anyway. Typically, the prank calls were supposed to infuriate him with vengeance, not shatter his fragile feelings, as appears to be the case here.

Overall, this episode is a mixed bag. It has plenty of amusing moments and a subplot that I somewhat like, but it's brought down by its clunky pace and mostly uninspired dialogue. It's certainly not a bomb for me personally, but with a differently-handled court case, it could have been one of this season's moderate highlights. Gotta love the Abominable Dr. Lenny though, just for the ring of it.

6/10
    Last edited by Infinity183; 03-17-2013 at 09:49 PM.
    My favorite and least favorite episodes from each season:
    S1 - Krusty Gets Busted / The Call of the Simpsons S2 - Lisa's Substitute / The War of the Simpsons S3 - Homer at the Bat / Dog of Death S4 - Marge vs. the Monorail / Whacking Day S5 - Marge on the Lam / Bart Gets an Elephant S6 - Who Shot Mr. Burns?: Part 1 / Another Simpsons Clip Show S7 - Bart on the Road / Homerpalooza S8 - You Only Move Twice / The Twisted World of Marge Simpson S9 - The Joy of Sect / All Singing, All Dancing S10 - Simpsons Bible Stories / Sunday, Cruddy Sunday S11 - Treehouse of Horror X / It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad Marge S12 - Trilogy of Error / Tennis the Menace S13 - Half-Decent Proposal / The Sweetest Apu S14 - Moe Baby Blues / Brake My Wife, Please S15 - The Way We Weren't / Bart-Mangled Banner S16 - Sleeping with the Enemy / Thank God, It's Doomsday S17 - The Girl Who Slept Too Little / Homer's Paternity Coot S18 - 24 Minutes / The Boys of Bummer S19 - Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind / Treehouse of Horror XVIII S20 - Gone, Maggie Gone / Dangerous Curves S21 - O Brother, Where Bart Thou? / The Greatest Story Ever D'ohed S22 - Homer the Father / The Fool Monty S23 - The Book Job / Politically Inept, with Homer Simpson S24 - The Saga of Carl / Love is a Many-Splintered Thing

Milhouse once mentioned a city very close to mine.
    Blog Entries

Surprises all around, but only some of them are positive. Though Janet Reno pulled a surprisingly competent and sizable guest contribution to the show (one of the most well-acted guest performances in an extended appearance from a non-entertainment celebrity that I've heard in a while), the Bart prank / court scenes, while interesting in premise, don't pay off. There was no mystery here; instead, we have some awkward dialogue between Marge and Lisa and then the confrontation between Willie, Marge, Lisa and Fruit Bat Man. It pushes the story along unnaturally, and it hardly gets the job done.

The Fruit Bat Man material's only positive surprise was the superior visual and sound / music direction. The use of "shaky cam", extreme close-ups and spot-on musical cues helped to imitate the feel of superhero flicks, but shoehorning Smithers in as Alfred only complicates matters in an already-hackneyed storyline. The storylines did indeed cross, but it just felt so ridiculous. As I watched Burns writhing around Willie in an attempt to take down the scorned Scotsman, I had one of those "Is this really The Simpsons?" moments.

Highlights include Hank Azaria's impressive performance as Moe (although this breaks the premise of Moe not knowing who the telephone prankster was, so that's down the crapper), Homer's enthusiastic conduction, Mr. Largo's characterization and some nice instrumentation in the Fruit Bat Man scenes, especially the lilting staccato as Burns slowly falls to the ground as Smithers catches him. Not much else.

Blog Entries

The way I watch this show now is by checking the general synopsis line and decided whether or not it sounds unique enough to waste twenty minutes on it. Mostly for me the show has become a Saturday morning staple on primetime; a mere extenuation of the franchise that has "The Simpsons Ride" or "The Simpsons Movie". In this case, it's "The Simpsons Show". Thus the barometer in which I measure an episode's quality doesn't even touch the 'classic era' (aka "The Simpsons"), but whether or not it makes sense. If it does, then hopefully it's cute and not horrifically irritating and dull.

This was cute. A smirk here and there, characterization not completely bastardized... the plot is well-structured, makes logical sense and is semi-original. Some of the callbacks to the earlier portions of the series feel genuine and not hollow. Sure there are plenty of flop lines, but they don't stay long enough to leave an impression.

On that scale, this was a good episode of "The Simpsons Show".
    twitter

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotDetector View Post
    Two and a Half Men is no more an "adult show" than "Rocket Power."

Nature's Cruelest Mistake Infinity183's Avatar

Okay, am I out of my mind for enjoying the Burns subplot and finding Janet Reno's appearance unnecessary? Seems like my thoughts about the specifics of episode are opposite of everyone else except for the Mike Rotch joke, which just sucked.

Thread Information