View Poll Results: How would you rate this episode?

Voters
122. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5: Nah-nah-nah-nah-nah-nah-nah-nah-Leader!

21 17.21%
  • 4/5: Jiminy jillickers, Batman!

34 27.87%
  • 3/5: Day or Knight

37 30.33%
  • 2/5: I'll sue Al Jean

15 12.30%
  • 1/5: The Dark Knight Fails

15 12.30%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rate and Review: "Dark Knight Court" (RABF10)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

Overall, the members liked this episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Evans View Post
    Nope it's not just you I've noticed it as well. Al Jean must think that's the funniest joke/gag in Television/cartoon history!
    I wonder if Al Jean knows that it happens in real life too, and not just around Halloween...

(Someone I know sent me this...)

I'm not your friend-o Cartoonnetwork's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've never been a fan of the rubber mask device, not even in spy movies like Mission Impossible or Charlie's Angels. I guess I just don't buy the disguises being so perfect that they actually look like other people in the facial expressions and all that. I'm ok with it in science fiction films like Total Recall cause it's the future and they can have better disguises.

I guess more surreal things happen in The Simpsons, but I have always found it to be a kind of lazy/weird thing. It's more difficult to create a plausible disguise that hides the character enough and it's not evident who is she/he, but at the same time doesn't look like a completely different person.

But I guess part of the joke is the absurdity of it, and I must say Mr. Teeny being the hot chick and Crazy Cat Lady being Catwoman were sort of good gags.
    My Simpsons homage!

http://elblogderg.blogspot.com

We're out of time.

After going through last week's entertaining, but pretty 'safely tame' episode, this was a nice change of pace. Unlike Frink's by-the-numbers approach on Black-Eyed Please, Ian went to town with this one (Ian's always been on his A-game whenever writing the more experimental episodes, especially in the HD era).

The idea of Burns playing a superhero felt surprisingly fresh, in spite of the character's very established Howard Hughes-esque tendencies. And with a very clever twist, by having Smithers pay off every 'actor' in this little charade. You couldn't take this approach with any other character on the same plot.

My only complaint on this end is that it could have been played more as a satire. I've always felt that Batman (both as a character and as a concept) was too ludicrous and too out there to be taken seriously, and this could have been the perfect venue for taking some potshots at Batman fans, who take it too seriously and have the most inane assumptions about their beloved character (such as the ridiculous idea that Batman could take on Superman, given enough training).

Interestingly, much like last week's episode, this one had issues differentiating the A plot from the B plot. Sometimes, one seemed to try and overshadow the other. That's one the constant problems the show's been facing, ever since losing those precious minutes of airtime (thanks for nothing Fox). Still, both plots were pretty solid and deserving of being an A plot, so to speak.

Mark Kirkland redeemed himself after his somewhat flawed last attempt at directing an episode on a tighter budget. The animation and layout on this was far superior, and you could see the results of the extra effort, most notably in the superhero capture set pieces. Great use of colors, as well. My only complaint regarding the animation can be checked out on the Willie rake scene. Some of the moving backgrounds on that sequence lacked extra frames of animation, which would have really helped to make the whole thing more fluid and realistic, but that's a small blemish on an otherwise excellent effort.

As for the trial, good use of Janet Reno. I won't complain that she was playing herself, because that's all she's ever done in showbiz. She was still used effectively, especially with the clever line reversal which forced the trial against Bart (also, great shot of Homer in the 'I hate Bart' camp).

I was surprised at the resurfacing of Bart's crank calls. I'm still wondering how exactly Moe found out that it was Bart who was behind them. Nevertheless, Hank put up a great performance as Moe, especially with the whole abuse victim innuendo influencing that whole sequence.

I'll give it a 4/5. Pretty outlandish, which I welcome. Overall, a reasonably good effort.

EDIT: Just realized this was my 666th post.

Creepy.
    Last edited by jbauer; 03-19-2013 at 02:52 PM.

Blog Entries

Started off neither good nor bad. Lost interest in this towards the end anyway. Bleh.
    "Because you watched House, we think you'll enjoy... Fuller House."

Party time... excellent...

Blog Entries

Wow, that was...oddly enjoyable.

4/5
    How to remaster

Nintendo Dance Party! ManiacalRoboKiller's Avatar
    Blog Entries

@jbauer Still not sure if he's serious each week or trolling but not EVERY episode can possibly be a 4/5 or higher EVERY week! Seriously man...but maybe you just don't see what The Simpsons has TRUELY become and I guess I wish I had what you had.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bart Flimpson's Dracula View Post
    Like Seth MacFarlane's addiction to creating terrible new shows, Matt Groening has a problem with concluding a show. He needs therapy.

We're out of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Evans View Post
    @jbauer Still not sure if he's serious each week or trolling but not EVERY episode can possibly be a 4/5 or higher EVERY week! Seriously man...but maybe you just don't see what The Simpsons has TRUELY become and I guess I wish I had what you had.
    I've rated the last two episodes 3/5.

You need to check the definition of trolling, by the way. I was being positive, and last I've checked, having a different opinion doesn't violate any forum rules.

actually thought that was decent despite mr burns being not mr burns in any shape or form. bad writing overall, but at least it was funny; the scene of moe in the court room especially was fuckin hilarious.

New best episode of the season, 5/5.
    Both plots were well done, the visual gags were excellent and the humour was top notch.
    I can't possibly fathom how anyone would give it anything less. Then again these forums aren't exactly known for fair and unbiased scores.

Bring on the men Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You're going to have to learn to be a little more respectful.
    Favorite and least favorite by season
    1. Krusty Gets Busted There’s No Disgrace Like Home 2. Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3. Homer at the Bat Like Father, Like Clown 4. Brother From the Same Planet Krusty Gets Kancelled 5. Cape Feare Lady Bouvier’s Lover 6. Homer Badman Another Simpsons Clip Show 7. King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8. Homer’s Enemy El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer 9. Bart Carny The Trouble With Trillions 10. Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: “Kidney Trouble” 11. Guess Who’s Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12. HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13. Tales From the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14. The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15. I, Annoyed Grunt)-bot Bart-Mangled Banner 16. A Star is Torn On a Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister 17. My Fair Laddy Bonfire of the Manatees 18. The Haw-Hawed Couple You Kent Always Say What You Want 19. Funeral for a Fiend All About Lisa 20. Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21. The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22. Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23. The Falcon and the D’ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24. Hardly Kirk-ing Moonshine River 25. The War of Art What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police Let’s Go Fly a Coot 27. Halloween of Horror Lisa With an ‘S’ 28. There Will Be Buds Moho House 29. Springfield Splendor Throw Grampa From the Dane

Don't you know I am serious!! Rembrandt Q. Einstein_1's Avatar

You say the same things every week...
    In order to effect the maximum taste out of food such as a boiled sweet.

on a trip to squaresville Prune Tracy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dumb or Dumber? View Post
    You say the same things every week...
    So does everybody who replies to him/her.

At the risk of being hypocritical, this is the last post I'll make on this matter.

14. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Dark Homer, Sam

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jbauer View Post
    I've rated the last two episodes 3/5.

You need to check the definition of trolling, by the way. I was being positive, and last I've checked, having a different opinion doesn't violate any forum rules.
    You're not trolling, you're the Julie Kavner of episode reviews.
    Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

I tried watching a new episode the Simpsons, but I realized the show hit a new low, like a brand new, underground parking structure of sadness.

Banned
    Blog Entries

i didn't watch this episode

don't quite cover all CousinMerl's Avatar

This one was pretty alright. I liked the main plot with Bart being accused of being the one beind the egging incident and ending up on trial (it was actuall sort of interesting) and the subplot about Burns rediscovering his love for superheroes and acting out crimefighting himself while dressed in a batsuit as 'Fruit-Batman' with the aid of Smithers was an amusing and silly subplot (even though it felt a bit wierd since Burns sang a song about villainy just a couple of episodes ago). I also enjoyed how the two plots met towards the end when Burns became involved in the solving of the case and actually managed to stop the real 'villain'. There were some funny moments like Homer successfully conducting the orchestra (which had some nice formation gags), Moe's testimony concerning one of Bart's prank calls and the Avenger's spoof at the end. Overall, it was far from a great episode but it was entertaining nonetheless.

3/5
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 10-04-2013 at 12:50 PM.

"went to pick up cigarettes" Tubbb!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by simpsonsbart View Post
    Moe knows his prank caller is Bart (see "The regina monologues")
    Moe never actually acknowledges that he knows Bart is prank calling him in The Regina Monologues.

Dr. Hibbert: What do I get if I join the museum as a Friend of Bart?
    Marge: A subscription to BartForum magazine, and Bart will say "Eat my shorts!" on your home answering machine.
    Moe: How much to have Bart prank call me? Oh, that would be hilarious. That's just me, though. I love to laugh.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedwaySquad View Post
    You liked this episode, I didn't. There's no need to get so worked up about it.
    "In Rand McNally, they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people!"
    "Oh, I've wasted my life."

CG Rigger/Freelance Designer Robotics's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ModernSimpsonsRocks View Post
    Then again these forums aren't exactly known for fair and unbiased scores.
    OHOHOHOHO!

Banned

The Simpsons Season 24, Episode 16: Dark Knight Court

Maybe I'm being kind but this wasn't bad; not good but definitely not bad. I actually enjoyed Mr Burns' storyline, even if it bordered on the wacky, and it made for some fairly amusing scenes and a flashback into his past. As is a common theme for me with most Season 24 episodes, if certain rough edges were smoothed over and atleast 1 of the 2 plots (either main or sub) are improved upon then it would be a very good episode. Take this episode for example, I really enjoyed the whole 'Bart put on trial despite him protesting his innocence' angle and some of the jokes made me laugh; not usually something I'd laugh at for modern Simpsons but I enjoyed Moe's 'Mike Roch' breakdown. I just think they could have come up with a quicker and more interesting crime that Bart is alleged to have done, as opposed to the whole egg in musical instruments one. Also they really, REALLY need to stop using Ralph Wiggum. Full stop. It's an open field but he is the most annoying character in this period of the show and is utterly Family Guy-esque. I thought the Reno character was good and Willie being framed was a perfectly reasonable and funny conclusion; also as someone with both Scottish and Welsh family, I laughed hard at his line "Because the world is better off with four fewer Welshman, wait what are we talking about?".

Is it classic? No. Is it an episode I'll be desperate to view again in the future? No. However, it entertained me and that's all I can ask for these days. At the same time, I will always grade as I would with the classic era therefore:

3/5, 6/10 C+

2/5...only thing i kinda liked were Burns Batman Scenes

Quote Originally Posted by ModernSimpsonsRocks View Post
    New best episode of the season, 5/5.
    Both plots were well done, the visual gags were excellent and the humour was top notch.
    I can't possibly fathom how anyone would give it anything less. Then again these forums aren't exactly known for fair and unbiased scores.
    You're posts push me over the edge...bit by bit

There are still people who think that he's (?) not a troll? Oh...
    Season 26: Clown In The Dumps: C- | The Wreck of the Relationship: B- | Super Franchise Me: C+ | Treehouse of Horror XXV: B- | Opposites A-Frack: B- | Simpsonorama: C | Blazed and Confused: C- | Covercraft: B | I Won't Be Home For Christmas: B+ | The Man Who Came To Be Dinner: B | Bart's New Friend: B- | The Musk Who Fell To Earth: C+ | Walking Big and Tall: B- | My Fare Lady: B | The Princess Guide: C+ | Sky Police: B- | Waiting For Duffman: C | Peeping Mom: B-

My Season Rankings: 4, 7, 5, 6, 8, 3, 2, 9, 1, 15, 14, 16, 10, 13, 21, 20, 19, 17, 25, 24, 23, 22, 12, 18, 11

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThankYouComeAgain View Post
    You're posts push me over the edge...bit by bit
    Seriously? MSR is the best.

I quite enjoyed this episode and was a little surprised at the large number of negative reviews. There were more funny jokes that actually stuck in my mind after I'd watched it - "peep show", the cost of buying all the comic books, the band forming into different shapes, a lot of Burns' one-liners such as the torch light, "the prosecution calls everyone in the world", all the Simpsons bursting into laughter after Lisa said they never gave up - and I appreciated the lack of 'gross' Burns gags, and in spite of my worrying about Mr Burns wanting to be a superhero it was executed quite well. It wasn't great, but definitely infinitely better than the rag episode or even "Moonshine River". ​B-
    Season 30 Ratings
    Bart's Not Dead C- Heartbreak Hotel ​D My Way or the Highway to Heaven ​D- Treehouse of Horror XXIX ​C- Baby You Can't Drive My Car ​B+ From Russia Without Love ​B- Werking Mom ​C Krusty the Clown ​B Daddicus Finch B+ 'Tis the 30th Season ​D+ Mad About the Toy ​C+ The Girl on the Bus ​C I'm Dancing as Fat as I Can ​C- The Clown Stays in the Picture ​C- 101 Mitigations C+ I Want You (She's So Heavy) ​C E My Sports ​B- Bart vs. Itchy & Scratchy ​C- Girl's in the Band ​B- I'm Just a Girl Who Can't Say D'oh ​B- D'oh Canada ​C-

You know what I just realized? A court scene just doesn't work without Lionel Hutz

27. Thumbs Up To This Post by: hutz, Irvine

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ManiacalRoboKiller View Post
    Stop.

If you disagree with someone's review, that's fine, but you're being a jerk. jbauer posted a perfectly cromulent review up there and backed up his opinions well.

I'm sick of seeing people getting jumped on in these R/R threads for daring to have a positive opinion about the show. Groupthink is a dangerous thing, and it's making these boards an obnoxious place to share your opinions. Unless someone makes a single-line "HILARIOUS 5/5" post, they deserve your respect. And for that matter, no one seems to raise an objection whenever someone makes an "AWFUL 1/5" style post either...
    My Nintendo webcomic,

29. Thumbs Up To This Post by: hutz

Blog Entries

You know what I just realized? A court scene just doesn't work without Lionel Hutz
    Nothing works without Lionel Hutz.
    Quote Originally Posted by pkkao View Post
    I'd reply but I've reached my quota of daily Kid Moe thumbs.

Edit: damn it

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Moe View Post
    Nothing works without Lionel Hutz.
    Yup....the show went down the drain when Phil Hartman died....I hope his fucking wife dies a slow and terrible death...the fucking bitch

32. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Kid Moe

DICK MOVE! Comicshow MolemanBob's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yup....the show went down the drain when Phil Hartman died....I hope his fucking wife dies a slow and terrible death...the fucking bitch
    She's already dead. She shot herself after shooting Phil.

Blog Entries

What did he wife do that was so bad?
    Just because a show sucks you souldn't wish death upon somone who has nothing to do with the show.

Thread Information