View Poll Results: How would you rate this episode?

Voters
120. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5 I'd watch episodes of this quality every week, rain or shine!

16 13.33%
  • 4/5 If the writers of this ever need a favor, just look for the happiest member of nohomers!

27 22.50%
  • 3/5 Calm down, Neddly diddily, doodily. They did their best shodaiddily iddily diddily diddily!

35 29.17%
  • 2/5 You might even say, I hate this episode, and my parents! Lousy beatniks!

25 20.83%
  • 1/5 And if I see this one again, I'm gonna run someone over with my car!

17 14.17%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Rate and Review: "Black-Eyed, Please" (RABF09)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dumb or Dumber? View Post
    Do you have a best of the season every week?
    Quote Originally Posted by Simpsons_Sweden View Post
    You guys have a lot to learn...

Blog Entries

This episode was alright. I didn't like the main plot because there were too many stupid jokes and most of the characters involved were annoying. I thought it was pointless to include Ned's parents in this episode. It's not like they did anything but make hippie and weed jokes. Ned punching Homer didn't really make any sense. Homer has done worse/more annoying things to Ned and he never flinch. Now all of a sudden he's getting angry?

The subplot however, was much better. The substitute was a decent one-time character. I found her reason of hating Lisa funny. Because she's pretty. More like pretty adorable Lisa's reaction was also funny too.

Other things I liked were the couch and chalkboard gag. Chalkboard got me to chuckle and the couch gag's style of animation was very interesting. One joke I really didn't like was Smithers' fisting. It was stupid and pointless. I did however like Ned and Homer's reactions. It was like, "We get it, you're gay. Now leave us alone". Wish they gave Smithers more character development instead of using him for constant gay jokes. Nowadays, he'll make a great character on Family Guy...

Rating: 2.5/5 (rounded to 3/5)
    Last edited by Teddy; 03-11-2013 at 03:57 PM.

I'm not your friend-o Cartoonnetwork's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Infinity183 View Post
    Unfortunately, the scenario featuring Lisa isn't any stronger. Problems befall the story before we're even introduced to the new substitute teacher. A good 30 seconds or so is spent embellishing Ms. Cantwell's appearance for an eagerly anticipating Lisa. This buildup gets so much emphasis that it's painfully unsurprising when the teacher begins acting like a jerk to Lisa for no ostensible reason. It's executed so forcefully that it doesn't develop any suspense. From this point, we know immediately that Cantwell is going to be an unrealistic character who's entirely a product of the plot. Although we do slowly find out, throughout the course of the story, why Lisa repulses her so much, the teacher's initial actions are so inexplicably sordid that we come to completely despise her before the writers can fairly develop her character. She gives Lisa a lower grade on her assignment than Ralph, despite her project's clear superiority, and then punishes her when she didn't even break any rules. I know even teachers have personal biases, but they're also required to follow certain standards of fairness. Here, Mrs. Cantwell just torments Lisa out of pure malice, finding every possible opportunity to make her time a living hell. She's not a new teacher who gets off on the wrong foot with Lisa, she's a blatant antagonist with no priorities except being an unfair jerk. The writers dodge a possibly fascinating relationship between the two the whole time just to get away with more lazy storytelling, driven by trivial verbal gags. So little effort is made to explore this character that her expulsion from the school requires an onslaught of Bart's pranks. With so little exploration into this character, a cheap, gimmicky resolution like this is pretty much inevitable.
    I'm just quoting this because I agree with your criticisms about the subplot, even though I found it tolerable, at least by comparison to other modern episodes. Mrs. Cantwell does look crazy and she's really unfair just from the moment he gave Ralph a better grade without even LOOKING to Lisa's work. And yeah, Lisa is really a caricature of her already exaggerated characterization in something like The PTA Disbands.

I just didn't find it as annoying as it could have been...I don't know why, but I just thought Mrs Cantwell was sort of crazy or was a really unfair person with the students she dislikes. The difference with other mean spirited or crazy one-shot characters in the show was that I find her craziness a bit amusing. I completely hated Jane Lynch's character in Replaceable You, not in a "love to hate" way, I just found the character annoying, unlikeable and uninteresting. While Mrs. Cantwell wasn't a very memorable or complex character either I found her mean attitude a bit more intriguing and her craziness more amusing.

Instead of developing a believable, relatable scenario of Mrs. Cantwell initially looking like a more 'regular' teacher that dislikes Lisa they totally decided to make her 'crazy' and a 'Lisa hater' in a very obvious way... It was lazy writing, yes. But I have to say that not every plot in classic era was perfectly developed in every aspect. Sometimes they introduced character for the laughs, more than a very complex development. I'm not saying this was classic era material. I'm just saying that they weren't trying Mr. Bergstrom here. Like Mindy Simmons is not as funny or developed as Hank Scorpio or Mr. Bergstrom, she just happens to be a hot girl that has a lot of things in common with Homer. they weren't trying to make Mrs. Cantwell a lot more than someone who is eccentric and hates Lisa to make some jokes about it.

I especially disagree with everyone who complained about the resolution. Was it 'cheap'? Maybe, but that was also kind of the point. Her reason for hating Lisa was totally random and as others had said, Mrs Cantwell is also drawn like a pretty woman, which makes it cheaper. But it can happen, pretty girls can think of herselves as not pretty and they can feel envy for other girls because they think they are prettier. It doesn't even matter if Lisa is the prettiest of her class or whatever, it's just that Mrs. Cantwell thinks she is. The resolution is good because the reason why she hates her is something that actually makes Lisa happy. That's why it's a fun solution, cause Lisa is really worried about this during the whole episode and she didn't solve the problem, but the reason of the conflict is something that leaves her with a good feeling.

The whole 'sometimes you just don't like a person' thing was ok, but I think this was actually funnier and better. I was kind of afraid we would get some kind of crazy 'nerd sweat' explanation but this was alright. There was no need for Lisa to jump on top of the hood of the car for this, though.
    Last edited by Cartoonnetwork; 03-11-2013 at 04:51 PM.
    My Simpsons homage!

http://elblogderg.blogspot.com

4. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Tubbb!

Blog Entries

Did anyone just zone out whenever Homer started talking in this episode? Man, what a retard. Just pointless, unfunny dribble.

Speaking of which: http://nedflandersfan.wordpress.com/

Banned
    Blog Entries

It had the best chalkboard gag in a long time, though.

Up to this point, Season 24 hasn't lived up to my expectations. But, hey, neither have the last 2 seasons. It's getting to a point where I feel like I already know what I'm going to find in the episode.

Even though the stories keep on changing from one episode to the next, I can't help but have this feeling of "this feels exactly the same as the previous episode even though it's supposed to be telling a different story". I think this feeling that I have comes from : the attempts of making a funny joke (you know you're supposed to laugh but you just don't do it), Homer's behaviour (I like it even less than in seasons 11-12), and finally the stories (they're just so shallow, you don't even see the point in knowing them).

Now I'm saying all this and yet, I found this episode to be watchable. i gave it a 3/5. The show has gone stale. I wouldn't be able to tell you if Season 24 was better than 23 or 22. And this is the first year where I'm having extreme difficulty in ranking the episodes (I can't tell if one episode is better than another).

Watching this episode / reading the two line summary : you end up getting the exact same information --> Flanders punches Homer / New substitute hates Lisa.

Actually though the sub-plot was better than the main one but in the end, both plots tied in together nicely which I liked. I loved the chalk board gag and unlike most, I actually liked the couch gag. Some of the jokes were actually quite funny, Ralph pushing playdough out of his nose and ears was the best one! I still don't like the idea of Ned and Edna being married and frankly, I hope they have an episode where they get a divorce. But overall, I liked this episode. Third best of the Season, 3/5

that guy you forgot existed Judge Fudge's Avatar
    Blog Entries

How do you delete a post?

that guy you forgot existed Judge Fudge's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Did anyone else love the couch gag?

Anyway, this was a weird one. We have yet another "Smithers is gay!" moment, and EVEN MORE Chalmers. Remember when he was only in episodes once or twice a season, and always had great lines? Not anymore. Ned's parents were only in the episode for the purpose of getting him angry enough to hit Homer and were completely unfunny, and we got some annoying Homer in the Skinner/Chalmers scene. Not to mention the substitute, who harassed Lisa because she was pretty? However, there were some great moments here, like the Ralph stuff, Homer getting a second black eye (wasn't expecting that!), and the idea of using Bart to get rid of the substitute. It might seem like I'm been harsh on this episode, but it was kinda middle-of-the-road as far as this season goes.
    6.5/10

Quote Originally Posted by alex_on_ice View Post
    And this is the first year where I'm having extreme difficulty in ranking the episodes (I can't tell if one episode is better than another).
    I agree, they are tougher to rank. I can at least say this ep was better than Hardly Kirk-ing.

Food-Crazed Maniac Oh, that's raspberry!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

So I watched the first act again just now and I gotta say it feels very disjointed timewise. We see Lisa in school, then we see her at home, then we immediately cut to Homer in his bathrobe. He angers Flanders who goes on a walk and we cut to Lisa, back in school, then we return to Flanders coming back from his walk. The events had to occur over the course of two days, and obviously if Lisa is in school during this Edna couldn't have been in the initial Homer scene which she isn't, though Homer still in his bathrobe with Lisa already at school seems odd to me even though it is entirely possible he either skipped work or just goes in later than Lisa. The act technically works, but it messes with my head from a chronological aspect. Some acknowledgement that it is a new day before Homer goes to see Flanders, or maybe starting the episode with that then cutting to Lisa woulda made more sense, but then not really because if Homer is still at Flanders by the time Marge gets Lisa he'd have been over there for hours which doesn't make sense! Gah!

The Homer J. line from Ned's dad still gave me a good laugh though, such a great line/reading.

Blog Entries

I really don't like how they handled Ned's parents in this episode. They're supposed to be beatniks, who accent odd parts of their speach and obsess over art and poetry, not hippies, who smoke pot and drive a punch bug. I guess John Frink doesn't know the difference. And I have a hard time swallowing any scinario where Ned isn't angry and distant from his parents, considering that he hates them, as seen in 'Hurricaine Neddy.' This one just doesn't connect properly.

Food-Crazed Maniac Oh, that's raspberry!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

It's not really a stretch to assume beatniks would become hippies though or that hippies had roots in beatnik culture. They do have common ground in anti-military beliefs. The two things we get in act 1 are the LBJ reference and rolling of the eyes when Ned gets christian. These seem in line with beatnik culture from what little I just read. The whole pot angle though yeah I'm not too sure about that. As far as Ned goes well maybe he's not thrilled to have them there further shortening his temper and being quick to lash out at Homer.

14. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Tubbb!

"went to pick up cigarettes" Tubbb!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Oh, that's raspberry! View Post
    It's not really a stretch to assume beatniks would become hippies though or that hippies had roots in beatnik culture. They do have common ground in anti-military beliefs. The two things we get in act 1 are the LBJ reference and rolling of the eyes when Ned gets christian. These seem in line with beatnik culture from what little I just read. The whole pot angle though yeah I'm not too sure about that. As far as Ned goes well maybe he's not thrilled to have them there further shortening his temper and being quick to lash out at Homer.
    I'm glad somebody else noticed that. The director did make it a point to show (from Ned's point of view) Ned's mother, then his father, then Homer before he punched him. While still out of character for Ned, I just assumed he had all he could take from his parents, was at his breaking point, and Homer was the only one in the room he felt comfortable taking his aggressions out on. We all know how much Ned hates his parents.

I also agree with the rest of your statement. It's not that much of a stretch to assume that Ned's parents would have become hippies in the '60s... although it goes against what we see at Ned and Edna's wedding. As far as that goes, this sums it up: Continuity in modern Simpsons? LOL!
    Last edited by Tubbb!; 03-12-2013 at 10:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedwaySquad View Post
    You liked this episode, I didn't. There's no need to get so worked up about it.
    "In Rand McNally, they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people!"
    "Oh, I've wasted my life."

Blog Entries

Very enjoyable episode that I could happily rewatch again. Much better than last weeks serving of shit. I wasn't fussed on the Lisa story but it actually had a very fun payoff once they brought Bart into the mix. 4/5

Edit: Also, one minor nitpick. When Marge said "I can't believe you struck my husband", what the fuck did she expect after everything Homer's said or done to the guy. Why an episode about this wasn't done sooner, I have no idea. Seems like an obvious one if you ask me.
    How to remaster

Blog Entries

I liked this episode. Granted it had a couple of really bad jokes (smithers having to say fisting ), but I actually found myself laughing quite alot at things. I thought anything annoyingly stupid homer said was balanced well by flanders punching him in the face, and then it ends with homer coming down to earth and trying to not only resolve the issue peacefully with flanders, but also asking for help with lisa's problem. see, this is why "the greatest story ever doh'd" failed as an episode. Flanders should have been punching him in the face throughout that whole thing and everything would have been fine. maybe a few jabs at the tour guide guy as well. seriously whoever wrote this episode is on to something here.

but yeah, I thought both plots were new and fresh without it having to be something too crazy, which is always good. the twist with the sub being a bully while forced, still was original and engaging. as random as edna and flanders getting together a couple of seasons ago was, I think it has payed off well and it's neat whenever we see them together. besides that though, i didn't realize how absent bart was in this episode until he showed up as the answer to get rid of ms. cantwell, so that was welcomed. i'm not saying this episode is phenomenal or anything, but it reminded me of that feeling of enjoying a post-modern episode where you know it doesn't compare to the classics, but you can still dig it. that's a rare thing.

I have no idea why, but these are the jokes I laughed at:

-the second time homer says, "I didn't know you were left-handed"
    -kearney "i'm a cubs fan" (the bullies as characters can be annoying in the jean era, but when the writers do them right, it's great)

there were definitely two others but I guess they weren't memorable

Blog Entries

It was pretty good. There isn't much to say that hasn't been said already. Although, if I has one probelm with this episode, it would be Smithers "What's this about a fisting?" line. I know, it's part of his character, but still. It isn't very often that a joke makes me cringe, and that one did it for me.

4/5

19. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Tubbb!

don't quite cover all CousinMerl's Avatar

The episode was alright; nothing great nor nothing bad. I did enjoy the plot about Homer and Ned who lashes out against him as well as the subplot with Lisa having problem with the substitute teacher bullying her and I liked how they tied into each other near the end. It was nice to see Ned's beatnik parents again and I had no problem with them being slightly more hippie-like than before (it was also fun how they got along with Homer quite well) and Homer did deserve getting punched for being such an ass (especially the second time); I can understand Ned flipping out since he probably felt pressured with his parents, who he doesn't really like, visiting and then comes Homer who ends up causing him to boil over.

As for the subplot, it was a bit weaker and the way Lisa's new teacher started bullying her the instant they met wasn't pulled off that well but I liked the ending with how they got rid of her with Bart raising hell and the reason why she hated Lisa was suitably anticlimactic (she's essentially just jealous). There were some funny moments, like Lisa's multiple fainting, Ned's Personal Hell and Grampa thinking he was in Sweden, but the episode did feel a bit disjointed during the first half but got better for the rest of the episode. Overall, it was an entertaining episode with two nice plots but nothing really stood out as great.

3/5
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 03-13-2013 at 09:04 AM.

I haven't watched the last 3-4 episodes...jake gave this a 4...ok.

Maybe I should watch them now to keep up

Great,great episode.Best episode since I don't know....a really long time ago.The teacher/Lisa sub-plot was really interesting(I really found it funny when she said that she hates Lisa cuz she's pretty ),and of course the Homer and Ned Main Plot was just...Hilarious.I laughed so many times...like Genuine laughs not "Forcing myself to laugh" laughs
    4.5/5 rounded into 5/5 for the poll

Also forgot...that couch gag was awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome B. Wonderful View Post
    watched this because i kept it on after american dad (even though i vowed not to) the teacher hated lisa or something. 1/5.
    Dude...you need to re-watch it...this time while paying full attention
    This is the best Simpsons episode in quite a while...TYCA's Stamp of Approval

Quote Originally Posted by Boots View Post
    No, and I doubt you're beautiful.
    I know this is late but

Quote Originally Posted by ModernSimpsonsRocks View Post
    Anything lower than 4/5 in this poll is just wrong.
    You people are no better than Lisa's bully teacher and just like her you have no real excuse to dislike this episode.
    Speaking of her, adult bullying is a major problem in society nowdays and I'm glad it was addressed in this episode.
    Some adults who find themselves in a position of authority can be just as cruel, irrational and childish as immature teenagers. You can even have an entire internet board full of them!

Of course I'm giving this a 5/5. Excellent episode all around, quite possibly the best of the season.

What's this "awful" Smithers joke you guys are talking about? I don't remember anything about it.
    For once I agree with you this was a good episode
    Your review as usual is shit though

Blog Entries

Reading the comments about this episode on Dead Homers Society. Holy shit they have some insane followers:

I just noticed that this episode had a build-up of bonding between Homer and Flanders’ parents, especially when Homer says that he has great time spending with them, only to have them cut completely at the end of the first act, and never return. I mean are we even beyond those times when they would at least make a side character return as a cameo at the end, so that it all wraps up? The a-plot seems to stumble on a-plot at the end in an effort to make sense… really, how can one possibly go any lower in scriptwriting?
    Uh... yeah? They did appear at the end, you lunatic?

Wait… Edna back with Ned? Didn’t they break up about a year ago?
    Noooooo...?

Bergstrum and Glasscock (instead of Testicles) were definitely better btw. And also, to elaborate on the subject, a teacher hating a student is one thing, but turning that into bullying and everyday harassment in general is nigh feasible to go unpunished, even for a substitute. Making a joke on this is probably on the same level as those shows who mock age difference in couples or something. I mean, this is definitely not how it should’ve went. To be p.o. with a student who makes the teacher look like an unprofessional dimwit could’ve been a much better idea here, clearly (plus Lisa is much more fit for the role of a bookworm contradicting information given by a fresh graduate substitute, hence the hatred). But… pretty? Lisa? That’s weird cause I always thought Lisa didn’t have hair, just an extension of her yellow skin on spiked skull, for some reason. Oh, it must be because she wears pearls. Yes, that’s it. Pearls.
    ...what.

I can't believe they have to audacity to make fun of users on this forum.

Blog Entries

They sound like idiots.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Duke of Insomnia View Post
    They sound like idiots.
    There was someone on there who was convinced that "The Devil and Homer Simpson" was canonical. Wish I could find the comment but cbf searching.

Blog Entries

Why would anyone who has ever watched this show think "The Devil and Homer Simpson" was a cannon story?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Duke of Insomnia View Post
    Why would anyone who has ever watched this show think "The Devil and Homer Simpson" was a cannon story?
    I have no idea. It boggles the mind.

Hoping the next episode is as good as this

a whiz with cold drinks Frightened Inmate No. 2's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well that was really bad. The only joke I kind of liked was when Chalmers was bullying Skinner. There may have been even more cringeworthy moments than Penny-Wiseguys. The teacher hating Lisa because she was pretty was pretty horrible, but it was the least of my worries here. It was so painfully unfunny. Flanders was incredibly annoying here too, and so were the rest of the characters.

Act 1: C
    Act 2: D+
    Act 3: C+
    Act 4: C
    Overall: C or 1/5

Second worst of the season, just barely ahead of Penny-Wiseguys.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Sandford II View Post
    While not humorous, would be cool if someone actually put this in their sig.

Blog Entries

lol episode title
    calmer than you are

Blog Entries

I know, terrible.

I'm not your friend-o Cartoonnetwork's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Frightened Inmate No. 2 View Post
    Well that was really bad. The only joke I kind of liked was when Chalmers was bullying Skinner. There may have been even more cringeworthy moments than Penny-Wiseguys. The teacher hating Lisa because she was pretty was pretty horrible, but it was the least of my worries here. It was so painfully unfunny. Flanders was incredibly annoying here too, and so were the rest of the characters.

Act 1: C
    Act 2: D+
    Act 3: C+
    Act 4: C
    Overall: C or 1/5

Second worst of the season, just barely ahead of Penny-Wiseguys.
    So a C is a 1/5? Interesting...I think it would be 3/5.

a whiz with cold drinks Frightened Inmate No. 2's Avatar
    Blog Entries

My grading system is a little weird. However, usually a C would be a 2/5, but this and Penny-Wiseguys are pretty much the lowest a C can go.

Blog Entries

okay i watched it. it wasn't horrible. something between 3/5 and 2/5 would be right for me. lisa's plot was interesting but i wish there were more things fleshed out for the teacher but it had a hilarious solution. main plot got a little annoying but it wasn't horrible, really. meh

Thread Information