Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1314151617181920212223

Thread: Pixar Thread

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Junior Camper

My favorite animation company, so many awesome movies, there’s only been a few missteps but other than that there amazing.

1 Wall e
    2 Toy story
    3 Monsters inc
    4 The Incredibles
    5 Ratatouille
    6 Finding Nemo
    7 a Bugs life
    8 Toy Story 2
    9 The incredibles 2
    10 Toy story 3
    11 Up
    12 Cars 2
    13 Cars
    14 Monsters university
    15 Finding Dory
    16 Inside Out
    17 Brave
    18 The Good dinosaur

I never saw Coco or Cars 3 but I’ll watch those eventually.

I get that everybody is entitled to their own opinion, but could you explain why Inside Out is so low. It' top five for me
    Soon Season 31

Have Brain, Will Travel Wile E. the Brain's Avatar

Same, I think it's harsh, especially behind Cars 2 (and I say that while I really enjoy Cars 1), but I'm curious to see your explanation.

Junior Camper

Inside out was just very boring to me, pretty much my problems with the movie have been said from others far better than I could, The movie just felt very slow, none of the characters were interesting, and the plot wasn’t very intriguing. Again other people have said my problems far better than I could, and even more problems I cannot explain well. This is just going off memory, I haven’t seen Inside out since mid 2017 so who knows, maybe I need to rewatch it and see if I’ll have a better opinion.

I don’t think the Cars movies are bad at all, never saw the third one but the other 2 were fun, I know that might sound strange, pretty much Cars 2 was the last Pixar movie I truly enjoyed, everything after that (with the exeption of Incredibles 2) ranged from decent to horrible, (still haven’t seen Coco) but hey I’m in the minority on multiple occasions.

Even the more recent Pixar movies I haven’t see in forever, the last time I saw Brave was like 2013, last time I saw the Good Dinosaur was in 2016, last time I saw Finding Dory was 2017.

don't quite cover all CousinMerl's Avatar

I somewhat recently I watched the first Toy Story for the first time in a long, long time (picked the most recent DVD up at a flea market, completing my TS trilogy collection) and I was surprised at how well it has held up & it was possibly even better now. The animation has dated in a lot of places (worst example is the dog by far) but it still looks super good for an nearly 25-year old CGI animated film (and the first one to boot) and the writing is sharp (I gotta say this have some of the best dialogue and quotes from the trilogy). The only thing I outright don't like is having Randy Newman's sappy crooning over the scene where Buzz has his realization about being a toy; that just comes off as wholly unnecessary and the scene would have been much better with no singing over it.

As for ranking the three, which I could do since I rewatched 2 & 3 some days afterwards and have them somewhat fresh in memory, i's really hard since they are all so good.
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 11-16-2018 at 09:19 AM.

I forgot to say that I did finally get to watch Coco somewhat shortly after my last post and well, I really quite liked it. It was a great little movie where almost everything was on point; the animation, the plot, the characters, the emotion, etc. Solid stuff from Pixar once again.

The one thing I wasn't very big on were the songs as I found them somewhat bland and/or kinda unmemorable; they did work very well as intended in the movie but I think it would have been an improvement if they had a little more energy to them and let loose a little bit more (I did get a small feeling they wanted to do more with some of the songs but kept it restrained). They were pretty decently good at best and not much more, I think.

As for The Incredibles 2, anyone around seen it yet and have any thoughts on it? I've yet to watch it but I'd still like to hear what you folks think of one of the most awaited sequels. Seems to me like it just came and went as something of a footnote which is a surprise.

Junior Camper

I liked Incredibles 2 a lot, it’s certainly not as good as the first one, don’t wanna spoil anything, but the first had a better story, better villian, and better pacing, it also was just more fun, the second did have better Humor, I’d recommend it, to anyone who enjoyed the first one, I did put it in my top 10 list after all.

Now we wait 14 more years, for another Incredibles film.

I think Incredibles 2 is an excellent sequel. A bit more predictable, but still very funny, touching, Brad Bird still love his characters and it's still great to see them as a family. The "ordinary family with super powers" aspect is, once again, perfectly handled. Not one of my favorite Pixar films (it's relative, I love almost all of them), but very, very good.

Oh, and Edna is hi-la-rious.

So what's everyone's thoughts on the teasers released for Toy Story 4 this week?

Like many others, in terms of films they had a perfect trilogy and if they wanted to continue telling stories with these characters they should've stuck to what they were doing with the shorts and TV specials. That said, the premise does intrigue me and I caught the second and third films in the theater first run (plus the first when it was rereleased with the second in 2009 for the 3D double feature; even though the 3D itself was pretty much useless) so you bet that I'll try to be there for when it comes out next summer!

In terms of the new characters I really dug Bunny & Chick from the teaser reaction video and I'm all up for more of them judging from some of the press releases hinting at their role in the film. Though with Forky's existence I'm forced to question the universe's rules in regards to how objects become sentient. Do objects like him who is a plastic eating utensil suddenly become sentient once they're made into a "toy"?
    Family Guy Season 18 Ratings - Yacht Rocky: 1.5/5 Bri-Da: 2.5/5 Absolutely Babulous: 1.5/5 Disney's The Reboot: TBD Cat Fight: TBD
    American Dad! Season 15 Ratings - Fantasy Baseball: 1.5/5 I Am the Jeans: The Gina Lavetti Story: 0/5 Stan & Francine & Connie & Ted: 0/5 Rabbit Ears: 1.5/5 Jeff and the Dank Ass Weed Factory: 1/5 Lost Boys: 0/5 Shark?!: 1/5 The Long March: 2/5 The Hall Monitor and the Lunch Lady: 0/5 Wild Women Do: 2/5 An Irish Goodbye: 3/5 Stompe le Monde: 0/5 Mom Sauce: 0/5 Hamerican Dad!: 0/5 Demolition Daddy: 0/5 Pride Before the Fail: .5/5 Enter Stanman: 0/5 No Weddings and a Funeral: 0/5 Eight Fires: 1.5/5 The Hand That Rocks the Rogu: 0/5 Downtown: TBD Cheek to Cheek: A Stripper's Story: TBD

Junior Camper

I thought it looked good, not much to judge it on though, but I think I’ll end up loving Forky.

Blog Entries

is forky an actual character in the movie

i thought it was just a joke

oh god
    Fuck Donald Trump. #NotMyPresident

Blog Entries

it's like making stick stickly a character in a toy story movie

... you know what they should do that actually someone get a rep from nickelodeon on the phone

Blog Entries

I was always sorta intrigued by woody telling sid's toys "we're going to have to break some rules" but I don't need a movie exploring the rules of toy sentience. Let me have my headcanon

The two teasers are nice and I like the concept of the fork/spork character as it does ask the question of "what counts as a toy?" so I wonder how they will explore that in the movie, but I must admit that I am a bit disappointed that they have seemingly dropped the long rumored plotline of searching for Bo Peep; it would have been neat to see the whole main gang together but oh well.

Also, on an somewhat related note, I think it's a little interesting that the TS4 teasers are getting outdone by the Detective Pikachu trailer (released on the same day) which I guess might be because TS4 isn't as wanted by the majority, though then again Pokémon is way bigger and more popular overall.

In some way I like the minimalist aspect of the teasers, and the second one made me chuckle despite I haven't saw the Key and Peele series that is referenced here. But I still have the feeling those teasers are just here to remind us there's a fourth film who's coming, and as a part of people who thinks the circle was complete with the third movie, I expected a teaser that actually reassures people about the utility of a fourth movie.

Besides, I'm not sure I want a film that explains the rules of toys sentience too. Depends on how the writers will do it, I guess.

@CousinMerl, According to Annie Potts (voice of Bo Peep), she will still play a significant role in the film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmiIUN-7qhE

First full trailer for Toy Story 4!

Things I'll note:
    * Cameo by Tinny from Tin Toy as what I'm assuming is one of the toys Bo rescued. His presence along with the antique store having ventriloquist dummies feel like Development Gags for how an early version of the first film had Woody as a dummy and Tinny in the role that ultimately went to Buzz.
    * Speaking of the dummies, they all remind me of Slappy from Goosebumps.
    * I dunno why, but I don't like the look of Andy's younger self for the brief glimpse we get of him here. I know that CG keeps evolving had has continued to do so since the last film, but I didn't even have this reaction when they showed his younger self in that one.
    * Boy, you can definitely tell it's been nearly 25 years since the first film just from listening to Tom Hanks.
    * I can't tell for sure, but I think the Pixar ball is a sticker on one of Forky's legs.

The movie looks pretty good, I think (and not just animation wise). It certainly feels different from the previous three and comes off as a little minimalistic in a sense compared to say the third film (which I think would be a good thing). I think all the negativity this fourth TS film is getting is unwarranted as it doesn't feel like a simple cash in on the popularity of the trilogy but rather a well thought out story.

(And I agree with you about the dummies looking like Slappy, @John95; they brought my thoughts to the 2015 Goosebumps film).

Trailer for Pixar's next film after Toy Story 4, 'Onward'.

Good to get something new and original from them agains instead of a sequel (also fantasy-themed which I like). The movie itself looks nice, if a little Dreamworks-y (but not in a bad way).

20. Thumbs Up To This Post by: John95, MDB

Wrote the book on flimflammin Grifty McGrift's Avatar
    Blog Entries

So, it's an industrialized fantasy world? Cool.

The latest home media release for Toy Story 2 pulled a Stark Raving Dad by removing one of the outtakes, specifically the one where Pete promises the Barbies that he'll get them a part in the next film.

Ironically, I find out about this the same week I get the original Blu-ray for the film from 2010 as I aim to have the first three films on said formal before the fourth comes out next week.

Blog Entries

it's clearly guilt from the fallout from Lasseter. That plus the fact that it's some dumb fake blooper from the credits and not actually part of the movie means it's no real loss. good riddance, you want to see it go to youtube.

While it's a little farfetched of a removal it's understandable and it's really not a big loss as it's not in the actual movie as said (actually didn't recall that one bit for a moment). Also, I own the movies on DVD (the 2010 versions) that has that bit intact so I can watch it there if I wanted to.

About the outtakes during the credits in general I kinda miss Pixar having them. I wish they would've continued with them or brought them back at some point (as bonus reels on the DVD & Blu-ray releases if not as part of the credits).

@CousinMerl, After letting this sit for a day I've concluded that while it does suck to see this happen at least it's actually more justified when compared to Stark Raving Dad especially given the context of John Lasseter being part of the #metoo movement.

Also unlike FOX, as far as I know Disney seems to at least be allowing all the pre-4K releases to exist and not forcibly removing them from sites like Amazon.

Bumping this thread with my thought on 'The Incredibles 2' which I watched earlier this summer (better late than never).

I really liked it overall and as a direct sequel it certainly worked just fine, but felt that it was missing something. It wasn't bad or anything but it just felt like much of the middle part could've been done differently and better. I very much liked the plotline with Bob/Mr. Incredible at home with the kids (lots of fun and great character moments in there) but as for the main story with Helen/Elastigirl getting recruited by the Deavor siblings to be the main superhero face to promote superheroes and legitimize them again I found that most of it just felt lacking and a little standard for some reason, if not also a little dull (or sort of) but not much, just being sort of okay.

Towards the end when the plot thread with the villain Screenslaver started to really kick in and everything came out in the open with the main part of the evil plan getting executed it really picked up with a lot of fun and excitement as expected of a sequel to one of the most popular Pixar movies; the whole climax with the meeting on the luxury liner boat, the plane and the action sequences was solid overall & the ending was good, but as for that middle section with the Elastigirl plot I wish that it was more than it was; the concept was great but the execution could've been sharper (I felt the character, maybe being my favorite Incredible, deserved a stronger story with more oomph to it).

Cannot really explain more of what I felt was off with most of the main plot but even though I felt it was a little lackluster I think the whole final act with the great action and intensity and all made up for that & the subplot stuff with Bob and the kids was all good as said (the raccoon scene was amusing for one thing; liked they gav Jack-Jack more to do, though giving Violet less to do was a little disappointing) so a good movie overall, just falling a little short overall and not being up to par with the first film.

Thread Information