Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: Pixar Thread

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

don't quite cover all CousinMerl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Suomynona View Post
    I really wanted to like Book of Life because of its style, but everything just felt rushed and there was too much thrown into the plot. So yeah, here's hoping Pixar does a better movie with the same look.
    The Book Of Life was kind of a mess (and enjoyable one but still), but I will give it this: I think their skeleton designs were better; I liked the carved style and how the eyes were black & had yellow pupils (the googly human eyes of the skeletons in Coco looks kind of off but I bet I will quickly get used to them like the cartoony dinosaur designs of The Good Dinosaur).
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 09-10-2017 at 11:45 PM.

Blog Entries

well I don't think it's that big of a deal that there are two dias de los muertos films (this one seems much more focused on the holiday itself)... people are so obsessed with conspiracies that such-and-such stole this or that concept without considering that the two films may just take the concept in different and unique directions. We have a million Santa Claus movies and nobody blinks an eye, so who cares?

Quote Originally Posted by 1010011010 View Post
    Coco Teaser (premieres November 22nd)

Already seeing alot of comments comparing it/saying its a rip off of The Book of Life. Hopefully that doesn't become a big issue, movie looks pretty good so far.
    This looks amazing! Now I really want to see it!

Junior Camper ZOIDBERG RODRIGUEZ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sideshow ken View Post
    This looks amazing! Now I really want to see it!
    It does look fantastic!

Blog Entries

Cars 3 was a very good movie, the plot was great, the racing action was intense, and as a race-fan I appreciated all the obscure references like Jocko Flocko, or the number 300 car. However, the beginning was kinda rushed, and the ending was pretty dumb. Overall, i'd give it an 8.5/10.
    You're a dolt with the IQ of a peabrain that probably loves lowbrow sitcoms like The Big Bang Theory, Frasier and Seinfeld to not grasp the biting satire and wit of the classic 65 (Rugrats).

Wrote the book on flimflammin Grifty McGrift's Avatar
    Blog Entries

As usual, every major animated Disney or Pixar movie is delayed 4 months over here...

Blog Entries

http://ew.com/movies/2017/06/13/olaf...ter-exclusive/

Coco will feature a 21 minute Frozen short

Blog Entries

Am I the only one that really enjoyed that Lou short before Cars 3?

A bit odd, sure, starring a character made out of lost and found items, but I really enjoyed the premise here.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Homer View Post
    "short"?

Temporary Talking Head Suomynona's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Homer View Post
    21 minutes isn't a short. 21 minutes is a goddamn TV pilot.

Blog Entries

Saw cars 3. It was good I guess. Better than the second.

I have yet to see it but Cars 3 seems to be the most forgettable Pixar movie yet since I've barely seen anyone talk about it.

Rewatched both Ratatouille and The Incredibles last month (first time I've seen them in like 10 years and the first rewatch for both). I remember liking both when I first saw them but didn't really love them and now I really liked them a lot so I guess they needed to be seen again before I really came to appreciate them. So much good stuff in both of them.

I know most would probably prefer The Incredibles but I'd say Ratatouille is my favorite of the two. Incredibles was sort of Brad Bird's test run for Pixar and it was great, but Ratatouille turned out even better; it showed a big evolution in both animation, storytelling and characterization & it really does justice to such a silly premise.

Now I'm really looking forward to see how The Incredibles 2 will turn out next year (I heard Elastigirl will be the main character and I like that, feels like a natural direction for the sequel to go in considering the first was all about Mr. Incredible).
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 10-11-2017 at 11:08 PM.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...siders-1059594

So... Yeah. Another story that ultimately taints how I will forever look at the person under the spotlight.

I'll give Lasseter this though, like Savino he at least admitted that he went too far.
    Family Guy Season 18 Ratings - Yacht Rocky: 1.5/5 Bri-Da: 2.5/5 Absolutely Babulous: 1.5/5 Disney's The Reboot: 1.5/5 Cat Fight: 1.5/5 Peter & Lois' Wedding: .5/5 Heart Burn: 1.5/5 Shanksgiving: .5/5 Christmas is Coming: TBD
    American Dad! Season 15 Ratings - Fantasy Baseball: 1.5/5 I Am the Jeans: The Gina Lavetti Story: 0/5 Stan & Francine & Connie & Ted: 0/5 Rabbit Ears: 1.5/5 Jeff and the Dank Ass Weed Factory: 1/5 Lost Boys: 0/5 Shark?!: 1/5 The Long March: 2/5 The Hall Monitor and the Lunch Lady: 0/5 Wild Women Do: 2/5 An Irish Goodbye: 3/5 Stompe le Monde: 0/5 Mom Sauce: 0/5 Hamerican Dad!: 0/5 Demolition Daddy: 0/5 Pride Before the Fail: .5/5 Enter Stanman: 0/5 No Weddings and a Funeral: 0/5 Eight Fires: 1.5/5 The Hand That Rocks the Rogu: 0/5 Downtown: TBD Cheek to Cheek: A Stripper's Story: TBD

Too bad for Disney and Pixar, but this is all his fault. It's good that he admits his wrongdoings but it doesn't make it better and I'd be surprised if he returns after this.

This might sound a bit callous (and I apologize if it does), but I've never held him in that high regards and I don't think he alone was what made Pixar great so his deeds doesn't really taint the studio and it's works for me (much like how I feel about Chris Savino and The Loud House). Sure, he was one of the founders and directed some of the popular movies, but there's many other animators and directors there (many of them maybe even more talented), however it was mainly the films themselves, the stories and the characters that made me a fan of Pixar, not Lasseter.
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 11-22-2017 at 10:00 AM.

@CousinMerl, While what you're saying is true, let us also not discredit the fact that he was one of the people that helped to bring Disney out of the rut that they were in back in the early 2000s.

Blog Entries

Lasseter deserves all the praise he gets for the earlier films, but I get the feeling he's burned out. Cars 2 was a trainwreck, and projects like Planes didn't fair much better.

Shame he's another one of the callouts for sexual aggression, seemed like a great guy at heart. What's scary is that even if something like that happened decades ago, it still destroys someone's entire career.

Quote Originally Posted by NHC's Resident Bart View Post
    Lasseter deserves all the praise he gets for the earlier films, but I get the feeling he's burned out. Cars 2 was a trainwreck, and projects like Planes didn't fair much better.

Shame he's another one of the callouts for sexual aggression, seemed like a great guy at heart. What's scary is that even if something like that happened decades ago, it still destroys someone's entire career.
    What's scary is that it took decades for his sexual behavior to be called out. There's a reason why so few people speak out, they fear they won't be believed or that they'll face worse repercussions for outing their abuser or rapist, especially if said abuser has a position of power.
    Pokemon Moon Friend Code 5473-2104-2310
    Looking for shiny, legendary, and mythical. Got shiny Sandshrew (Alola)
    Have various starters, zorua, can breed many pokemon.
    Current egg move hatching: Tyrunt with fire fang

Blog Entries

Ended up seeing Coco tonight. It was ridiculously good... Probably their best film since Toy Story 3 (get lost, Inside Out). Such a cleverly and carefully constructed film.

(The Olaf short was way too long and dull.)

I hear they pulled the Frozen short film in Mexico because of a lot of complaints about it being too long.

And I saw that Pixar has released a teaser trailer for next year's The Incredibles 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJDMWVZta3M

Blog Entries

Was kinda hoping Incredibles 2 would take the Toy Story 3 approach, but I'm still interested in this film though. Also planning to see Coco when it comes it the UK next year.

Coco is premiering February the 2nd over here. ....wtf
    Even the noblest concerto can be stripped of its beauty and soul

Blog Entries

It's always been like this with Disney and Pixar movies. For some reason they're always a few months late here and it's so annoying. Was the same thing with Finding Dory and Cars 3.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Teenie View Post
    Was kinda hoping Incredibles 2 would take the Toy Story 3 approach, but I'm still interested in this film though.
    What do you mean, like doing a time skip?

Blog Entries

That teaser... just to hear the opening theme again, oh man

An interesting write up from an Indigenous person on Coco
    https://erenarruna.com/2017/11/27/un...the-film-coco/

27. Thumbs Up To This Post by: kupomog

Coco was wonderful. Beautiful looking movie with a touching story to tell and make you cry your eyes out if you're a sensitive sap like me. Revelations learned + the last chunk of the movie had me in near perpetual tears broken up by moments of needed humor. And boy was this movie humorous!

**spoilers ahead**

The Rivera family seems tough at first if you aren't all about the shoes, but the family members truly give this movie life which is fitting. And though I am not Mexican, I definitely felt some relatable family dynamics. You don't spend too much time with the living Riveras but his abuelita is hilariously and lovingly tough (I about died when she destroyed his guitar and then instantly tried to baby him), Mama Coco is adorable (and wow, what a clever name for the movie once you get through it all) and I'm just glad he actually HAS a family and no dead parents for the sake of things being easy. He has them all together in this household and he has to deal with them. And oooh the cringe feeling when he breaks great-great-grandmother Imelda's photo...boy you are in so much trouble. But then you meet his family in the Land of the Dead! What a fun group they all seem like and I loved when they all first ran into Miguel and then supported him later. Mama Imelda is stubborn but charmingly feisty and is IN CHARGE (and can siiiiing, yasss), Victoria is probably me, Rosita and Julio seem like sweeties, and the twins can fight, yo.

Miguel was a bit exasperating at first. You are on his side about the absurdity of banning any and all music from life, but he comes off pretty disrespectful early on. I was actually rolling my eyes when he took off on his own but it ended up being such a fun adventure. But my goodness he sure can sing! I still have him singing The World Es Mi Familia stuck in my head...and not only because someone pulled the fire alarm so the movie got rewound and we saw that scene twice!! I wish it wasn't so short. Funny enough, because of that stupid alarm, we totally missed the talent show portion and Miguel singing Un Poco Loco.

And don't even get me started on Remember Me. Oh I just bawled my damn eyes out that entire scene towards the end. It made me think of one of my grandpa's favorite songs, one my mom made sure to play at his funeral... I'll Remember You (I will link it at the end). That whole theme of remembering really stings. No one should be forgotten, especially family, but it happens even if they aren't dead. Just as an aside, that's a big reason I prefer cremation and keeping urn shrines (that plus I'm Asian)... because after awhile the visits to graves will become infrequent until they potentially stop. My grandma and grandpa have said similar to me. Seeing the representation of Dia de los Muertos in this movie made it all seem like how I wish it would be in real life...

The animation is impressively vibrant and fluid and there are an absurd amount of details in the backgrounds / settings of each scene. I would love to just go through this whole movie again to see all the different things in the rooms, the plaza, the cemetary, just EVERYWHERE. SO MUCH detail that even Amy kept pointing out how cool everything looked. Moana was a beautiful looking movie but this was just as good looking if not more so.

The twist presented was so very welcomed. I was about to be really frustrated with Ernesto's seemingly sudden evil turn to become The Villain after you were so happy to see him and Miguel reunited and wow what a scumbag he really is. But Hector!! That was so great and Miguel's reaction when Hector tried to put himself down as relative was hilarious, made an older gentleman in the audience laugh super hard. And from that point on the movie opens you up to many tears as the story works towards its conclusion. It's very satisfying to have the villain felled, the hero victorious, and the condemned redeemed. It's cookie cutter but I don't care, it was feel good and I needed it.

Loved this movie. Amy loved it, as well, especially all the skeletons and the Land of the Dead -- I'm very happy she was able to see it in theater.

P.S. Here's a link to the song I mentioned earlier that reminds me of grandpa (and even grandma and my aunt and others lost) - I'll Remember You by Makaha Sons
    facebook / twitter / tumblr
    round and round let the city turn party in the hills we can party in the burbs roof on fire let it burn champagne in my hand I'm not concerned

Blog Entries

I finally saw Coco. I know I complain about this a lot in this thread but Jesus Christ these delays are pissing me off. Coco premiered yesterday over here, the same day I went to see it. And Incredibles 2 premieres June 14th in the U.S, but fucking August 31st over here

So far this is the Pixar movie I've known least information about going in. All I saw prior to watching it was the teaser trailer. I was in the car with someone earlier yesterday and a review of the movie came up on the radio, basically spoiling everything besides major reveals. Ugh.

As for the actual movie itself though, I loved it. Nice to see an original Pixar movie for once, and the songs were very catchy. Kupo, as well as the radio review I heard, said the endng was very emotional and would "challenge you to hold in your tears" but, eh, it really didn't do that much to me. I thought it was sweet though. I loved the animation of the skeletons. The movie had so many characters I couldn't keep track though, the only names I remember were Miguel, Hector, Dante, Coco and de la Cruz. The rest are just a blur. I think one of those twins were named Oscar?

Also, while I know it was played as a joke, when Miguel walked through the flower path a mom was holding her childs hand... Does that mean you stay in the physical shape you were when you died? Considering in the end, mama Coco was still a fragile old lady even though she was a skeleton. What a shitty deal.

There were surprisingly really few people in the theatre. I was sitting alone on my row, and two rows above me were like a family of 5, and all the way down at the bottom was one lonely guy, lol.

So apparently John Lasseter is to be removed from both the Disney and Pixar equations by the end of this year.

Additionally, someone on Twitter mentioned how his name was met with dead silence during the credits of an early screening of The Incredibles 2.

Surprised that they are gonna take that long to properly boot him, but still good to know he'll be out.

Thread Information