Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: Pixar Thread

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

don't quite cover all CousinMerl's Avatar

Brave gets a lot of hate and unfairly so. I honestly never thought it was all that bad and found it good enough to give it a rewatch later down the line (even then I still found it good); it's not perfect but it's far from terrible and I enjoyed it so I guess I'd call it kinda underrated.

And the HTTYD movies are great; I hope the third will be as good as the first two.
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 05-26-2016 at 11:59 PM.

Blog Entries

Rewatched Up tonight, and got totally wrecked as usual. Curse you, Pixar.

(This movie is going to become more and more of a thing for me as get older, isn't it?)

Wrote the book on flimflammin Grifty McGrift's Avatar
    Blog Entries

So yeah I am in a Pixar phase rn and so far, I'd rank The Good Dinosaur, Toy Story, Wall-E and Finding Nemo at the top, and Cars somewhere at the bottom. As a child I loved the movie but now, judging by watching old clips and reviews of it, I realize how bad it is.

Can't remember a single thing from A Bug's Life and still haven't seen Brave... Should have watched the films in order but I've been casually watching them at random, and now I gotta wait a while before I rewatch them. But Wall-E is probably my favorite Pixar movie.

I liked A Bug's Life but have this issue where I start remembering something from the movie and then realize I'm just remembering Antz.
    facebook / twitter / tumblr
    round and round let the city turn party in the hills we can party in the burbs roof on fire let it burn champagne in my hand I'm not concerned

A Bug's Life is really quite good. Antz on the other hand I think is pretty forgettable as I only remember parts of it while I remember most of the former.

Blog Entries

Just watched it. It was... Pretty bad. Def one of the worst Pixar films. To begin, the character designs were kinda bad, I mean the main characters should at least be pleasant to look at. The story was fine, but nothing too interesting, idk I just didn't like it.

Blog Entries

i don't think the character designs in bugs life are particularly bad, now the characters in antz those guys are butt ugly

also like the n64 game, though i don't have it anymore. have the ps1 version on vita though.

Blog Entries

Antz is obv uglier, but Bugs Life still is kinda bad, as is the animation and movement. They look too plastic. If it was done today they'd probably look better.

Quote Originally Posted by Rehpotsirhc View Post
    Antz is obv uglier, but Bugs Life still is kinda bad, as is the animation and movement. They look too plastic. If it was done today they'd probably look better.
    That's pretty much what I feel about the animation in the first Toy Story which has dated. I don't have the same issues with ABL but that's probably because the textures are somewhat better and because there are no human characters (that admittedly didn't look too good in their first movies).

Blog Entries

I never really thought the character designs in A Bug's Life were bad... My only beef with it from a design perspective was that it was becoming more and more difficult for them to keep making unique ant designs. More of a problem that'll come up with the nature of the story, but all of the non-ant bugs had pretty interesting and creative ideas. The bug city they visit has a lot of visual flair too.

Since finishing a recent project, it's freed up some time to finish re-watching the Pixars I bought on DVD... Been watching one per evening. After getting wrecked emotionally by Up yesterday, I might've made a mistake by going for Inside Out today. Was a little worried about the re-watch since a lot of the interesting appeal of it is the conceptual nature of it, with the colored balls and everything like that. After knowing how all of this works already, I did find the first act a little slower than I remembered... It picks up a lot when they start on their adventure back. The abstract thought sequence still feels a little out of place and random. But that dream production sequence is genius.

Bing Bong gets to me, though.

11. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Startug

Blog Entries

Thought The Good Dinosaur held up surprisingly well on re-watch. Was kind of nervous about this one, given some of the elements in it, but I think it holds together really well. The pacing and stillness in the movie is so un-Pixar... I kinda wish the entire movie was them roaming around gorgeous set pieces and stuff. I know stuff like the T-rexes will have to happen for there to be some kind of plot, but I feel like the main show is the wilderness. It is ridiculous how beautiful this movie is.

Maybe it's because I re-watched them back-to-back, but it felt like a much, much more morose and serious version of Finding Nemo. Marlin is super neurotic to be sure, but Arlo has some really deep-seated issues.

I haven't watched The Good Dinosaur (much because of how "bad" of a Pixar movie it apparently is) but I should get to it now that it's out on DVD.

Blog Entries

I thought it was gonna be bad but it's somewhere at the top of my favorite Pixar movies now.

The Good Dinosaur doesn't look like my kind of Pixar film. Although I will say the animation looks impressive and visually striking so credit where it's due.

I'll probably get a lot of hate for this but I was never really into Toy Story. Perhaps it's because I didn't watch it during my childhood so there's no attached nostalgia to it. I can definitely understand the appeal though.

Blog Entries

I only saw the sequel as a kid but that was one time, I wasn't a big fan or anything like that. I'm pretty sure I saw the original, but I honestly can't remember that I did. But when I properly watched it for the first time like two months ago I remebered a lot of it.

The only Pixar films I saw as a kid was Monsters, Inc. The Incredibles, Finding Nemo and Cars. And frankly, I have gotten bored with them since I watched them so many times.

Blog Entries

i was the right age for toy story when it came out, and it was a huge deal. the first fully computer animated film ever(coming off the heals of other big films featuring cgi, like terminator 2 and jurassic park), and it's about toys?! fuck yeah, the hype was real for the movie. i remember going to see it in theaters, remember going to a birthday party at a burger king where the meals featured toy story toys and for like two bucks extra we bought the bigger and better buzz/woody/rc car toys, and even a year later when it was released on video it was the hot gift for christmas, unless you were in to tickle me elmo(i wasn't).

Banned
    Blog Entries

i was too young to watch toy story and a bug's life when they first came out, but i had seen those two films and toy story 2 by the time monsters inc came out so they are still a big part of my childhood

Blog Entries

Wow the US get Finding Dory june 17 we get it fucking august 26th...

Blog Entries

I mean i knew it would come later but two whole months + 9 days? Ugh.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CousinMerl View Post
    I haven't watched The Good Dinosaur (much because of how "bad" of a Pixar movie it apparently is) but I should get to it now that it's out on DVD.
    You should. It's really good. It's a good character piece. A little short on laughs and probably way too damn morose than it should be, but there are a lot of amazing moments in it. It just has a bit of a tone problem sometimes.

I don't think it's a Top 5 Pixar or anything but I think it's their most underrated movie. The hate went way too far on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Deformed View Post
    i was too young to watch toy story and a bug's life when they first came out, but i had seen those two films and toy story 2 by the time monsters inc came out so they are still a big part of my childhood
    Was just talking about this the other day with my mom... I feel pretty certain that I saw Toy Story in the theater at the time (was 10 or 11 at the time) but I don't have any recollection of how I felt about it. I assume it must've blown me away but I don't remember for sure.

Who is everyone's favorite Toy Story character? I like Woody and Buzz and all, but I always liked the side characters more in that franchise (like Mr. Potato Head and Rex).

However, Hamm is the guy.

Although all of John Ratzenberger's characters are great. He has such a laid back voice.

Blog Entries

Woody. But main characters aside, probably Potato Head or Jessie.

Food-Crazed Maniac Oh, that's raspberry!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

Potato Head @Jims, always.

Blog Entries

always loved woody and buzz, potato head if i'm gonna throw in a side character

Blog Entries

Okay so I saw Monsters University last week and Finding Nemo today.

Gotta say, the prequel was better than the original. Don't have much more to say. I think that's because of the fact that I've seen the original so many times while this is newer to me, feels more fresh. Nemo was another Pixar masterpiece, the montage of Marlins story spreading always gets me

Blog Entries

Jingle Joe is my fave

27. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Startug

Blog Entries

when i first saw toy story that bastard freaked me out when he turned woody's flashlight off

Quote Originally Posted by Jims View Post
    You should. It's really good. It's a good character piece. A little short on laughs and probably way too damn morose than it should be, but there are a lot of amazing moments in it. It just has a bit of a tone problem sometimes.

I don't think it's a Top 5 Pixar or anything but I think it's their most underrated movie. The hate went way too far on it.
    Yeah, I definitely will see it and I think I'll like it (I did like Brave which also gets much dislike so I doubt I'll find TGD to be bad).

I'm not a huge Toy Story guy but they are all solid (2 is probably my favorite, unpopular as that opinion is) and there's many good characters; Buzz and Woody are cool and all but there is something in what you say about kinda liking the side characters more, of which I think Jessie is my overall favorite.

1. Toy Story (A)
    2. WALL-E (A)
    3. Finding Nemo (A)
    4. Inside Out (A)
    5. Ratatouille (A-)
    6. The Incredibles (A-)
    7. Up (B+)
    8. Toy Story 3 (B+)
    9. Monsters, Inc. (B+)
    10. Toy Story 2 (B)
    11. A Bug's Life (B)
    12. Monsters University (B)
    13. Brave (B-)
    14. The Good Dinosaur (B-)
    15. Cars (C+)

Haven't seen Cars 2 and don't really care to.
    Last edited by Traviud; 06-15-2016 at 04:04 AM.

Blog Entries

Toy Story is a genuinely great movie but why is it in so many top Pixar lists? There are way better movies. I'm not saying eveyone thinks like this but, first does not equal best. Maybe it has to do with the nostalgia.

SuperFriend Rembrandt Q. Einstein's Avatar

Toy Story 2 is my favourite too.

Thread Information