Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Invader ZIM

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Invader ZIM

Anyone remember this? I just picked up the entire series on DVD and it really is one of the funniest cartoons I've ever seen, not to mention one of the most visually appealing.

I know I've seen a lot of people here comment on how they liked it while it was on Nick, but has anyone checked on the DVDs? Pretty amazing stuff.

Invader ZIM is the best show Nickelodeon has seen in years. Such a shame it was cancelled. They're airing such absolute horseshit nowadays.

Sarcasm: the nerds' "sex" TheSuperiorGerbil's Avatar

Loved this show, although I was not surprised at all that it got cancelled since it was on the wrong network, its' content and production values must have gone through the roof. I like how they kept going larger and crazier with each story and the thing still held togheter. From what I've seen, Jhonen Vasquez hasn't really been trying to make another show, which is a shame since it may be pretty much impossible that anything similar will appear on tv anytime soon.
    My favorite episode would be "Hobo 13".
    ftw
    Last edited by TheSuperiorGerbil; 06-07-2008 at 06:40 PM.

am I the only person who doesn't really get this show? I've seen two or three episodes, and none of them were worthy of the ridiculous praise that this series continually receives.

Quote Originally Posted by grissom View Post
    am I the only person who doesn't really get this show? I've seen two or three episodes, and none of them were worthy of the ridiculous praise that this series continually receives.
    That is understandable. I didn't really like it when I first saw it, found it too complicated and hard to get into. But it's grown on me. I think the reason the show has a cult following is because of it's animation style, it's slightly dark themes and it's weird sense of humour for a childrens show.

Quote Originally Posted by grissom
    Yes, yes you are.

No show has such a good mix of funny expressions and awesome action scenes, not to mention the humor is so outrageous and satirically dark. The whole point of the show is that humans and society are morons and the show illustrates this with perfectly designed ugly characters, disgusting backgrounds, and morbid situations. Come on, how can you not love a show where an alien steals organs from his classmates in order to appear normal, only for the guy who hunts him down to be deemed an alien freak for sounding like a pigeon?

And even without the 'it's funny because it's dark' stuff, there's plenty of witty dialogue in its own right:

"I used to be a man, just like you. I used to work at a Chicky Licky...just like you."
    "I never worked at a--"
    "SILENCE!"

"8 billion served! That's more than the entire human population! Surely if one rules McMeaty's, one rules the world!"

"I'm afraid you're trapped here forever kid. The only person who ever escaped, never made it out."
    Last edited by TheForbiddenDonut; 06-07-2008 at 06:56 PM.

Pure greatness! Vasquez made a kickass show and the best part is not even Nikelodeon cold hold back the immense awsomeness of the show!

The characters were well developed and differnet, Dib was unwanted and a loner, Zim was determined yet dumb, Gir was just absolute crazy, Gaz hated everything, and Miss Bitters was creppy!

Pure greatness! Vasquez made a kickass show and the best part is not even Nikelodeon cold hold back the immense awsomeness of the show!

The characters were well developed and differnet, Dib was unwanted and a loner, Zim was determined yet dumb, Gir was just absolute crazy, Gaz hated everything, and Miss Bitters was creppy!

The more people that "don't get this show" is fine by me. Its one of those cult following programs that if the fan following was too huge, something would be terribly wrong with it.

The down side to enjoying privet little intellectual finds of this sort is the odds of seeing more production in the future is nearly impossible.

blowin' money fast Clark Westfall's Avatar

awesome show, I used to be obsessed with it but I haven't seen it in forever, maybe I should pick up the DVD.

I've had every episode on DVD for a while. It's great, but it's gotten kind of a bad name from all the Hot Topic-"IM SO DIFFERENT AND I FREQUENT LOLCATS"-goers. Certainly in my top 5 TV shows.

It's Just A Flesh Wound ppoi307's Avatar

"I got monkeys in my head!"

This sentence is a lie. Elkwood's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HappyPalooza View Post
    I've had every episode on DVD for a while. It's great, but it's gotten kind of a bad name from all the Hot Topic-"IM SO DIFFERENT AND I FREQUENT LOLCATS"-goers. Certainly in my top 5 TV shows.
    I agree. Invader ZIM would be in my top five as well. The Simpsons is in my top ten, but Zim makes it to the top five. Sadly, the show has begun to seem like a cutesy Hannah Montana-style thing with all the GIR merchandise at Hot Topic and ZADR all over Deviantart. It makes me sick.
    Critics are raving over Maggie's Toilet Training!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatorgod View Post
    Maggie's toilet training is the smash hit fan-fic of the season! Bravo!
    Quote Originally Posted by James L. Brookes View Post
    iMuy Excellente! This has really been capturing the feel of classic Simpsons wackyness!

Bud Light Suck One pizzaanddibs's Avatar

Never liked this show and all the merchandise they sell just makes me hate it more.

This sentence is a lie. Elkwood's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pizzaanddibs View Post
    Never liked this show and all the merchandise they sell just makes me hate it more.
    But "Dib" is in your name. And pizza, which is a recurring theme in Invader ZIM.

Quote Originally Posted by pizzaanddibs View Post
    Why?

And come on, merchandise is the stupidest reason for disliking a show. Whenever you watch a good 'Simpsons' episode do you start thinking about all the show's stupid merchandise and disliking the show more?

Every good show has its share of stupid merchandise.

love this show but I agree that the hottopicification is annoying

her cocoa is so chuggable PreciousBodilyFluids's Avatar

I've wanted to see it for eons, but all of this recent discussion is driving me to the brink of madness. I'll have to pick up the set in a couple of weeks.

It should be your kind of show. The artistic quality really is outstanding. There is a lot more emphasis put on expressions and poses than in most cartoons and the background and character design is unimaginably good.

Quote Originally Posted by TheForbiddenDonut View Post
    And come on, merchandise is the stupidest reason for disliking a show. Whenever you watch a good 'Simpsons' episode do you start thinking about all the show's stupid merchandise and disliking the show more?
    Not the only reason. I'm sorry I don't like shows about talking aliens or whatever the hell it's supposed to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elkwood View Post
    But "Dib" is in your name. And pizza, which is a recurring theme in Invader ZIM.
    Ok well I don't know what Dib is? I'm guessing one of the retarded characters? So what does your name supposed to mean you like givin your "wood" to "elk"? :buttsex:

How can you hate a show you don't know anything about? I've never hated something I've never seen before, but apparently there are some people who just guess that a show is horrible and don't bother to actually formulate an intelligent opinion.

Should I really remember characters from a show I hate. I watched the very first episode the day it aired. I didn't like it, but watched a couple more just to make sure that it was crappy. That was a long time ago and I'm not going to remember stupid things like a character named "Dib".

You said 'talking aliens or whatever it's about' implying that you have no idea what it's about. And I tend to know the characters on shows I hate, because I wouldn't hate a show I didn't know what it was about or who the characters were. But whatever, you're in a small minority.

I'm sorry I will start remembering every character and every plot of every show I've ever seen that way I won't be in a minority.

Bad hyperbole son.

OK I don't feel like arguing anymore this show is just not my cup of tea. Some may think it's funny I just couldn't watch it.

Now that's a fine reason. I usually just retort when people dislike a show and vehemently attack it, like 'probably some retarded character' or 'the merchandise makes me hate it even more'. But if it's not your cup of tea, I'm fine with that.
    Last edited by TheForbiddenDonut; 06-09-2008 at 08:19 AM.

Junior Camper

I was obsessed with Invader ZIM when it was airing new episodes. The two best episodes are probably Tak, the Hideous New Girl and Backseat Drivers From Beyond the Stars.

be seeing you! Captain Yesterday's Avatar

This show was always too dark for kids watching Nickelodeon. Kinda too dark for me, too.

Banned

invader zim was a good show filled with action and suprises, also gir made me want tacos.

Thread Information