Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Little things you hate about Family Guy.

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Quote Originally Posted by A N G E R View Post
    Anyone else hate those random jokes where Stewie says something unrelated to the subject? Like when he randomly says "I SAW MOM HOLD HANDS WITH ANOTHER WOMAN" for no reason.
    Some people do here. I think they're hilarious and I love when they do them.

And the Griffin who's getting killed off was already revealed to be Peter's mom.

What do you think they put in the Bug Juice?
    Bugs?
    No they don't. Come on...shut up.

Blog Entries

yeah stewie randomly spouting one-liners is an aspect that he had back in pre-revival family guy. love 'em.

hate it when peter does it though, it's way overdone.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome B. Wonderful View Post
    yeah stewie randomly spouting one-liners is an aspect that he had back in pre-revival family guy. love 'em.

hate it when peter does it though, it's way overdone.
    They don't utilize it well in post-revival episodes, especially Season 8+.

Blog Entries

i think they do it confidently enough.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Flimpson Tide View Post
    Some people do here. I think they're hilarious and I love when they do them.

And the Griffin who's getting killed off was already revealed to be Peter's mom.
    I could be wrong, but I don't think Peter's mom's death is the big death. It's probably unrelated.

Blog Entries

yeah that's what it seemed like to me, and they said "the main six griffins" so it's not her.

Curiouser and curiouser MindQuad's Avatar

I pretty much hate Peters random asides. That was never part of the character, and it just comes across as random jokes that aren't even funny. Plus I hate how when he makes his comments he's just totally disconnected from what's going on...I miss Peter who could be funny by being involved in what was going on. Stewies are more tolerable, because that was always an aspect of his character, as he's a baby who the family ignores. Plus the writers can't rely on him just being as stupid as possible with his comments, so the things he says are generally more diverse and observant, and as a result, funnier.

Blog Entries

that's why thanksgiving is bottom 5 material. there's so much on-the-side peter it's ridiculous.

OHHHHHHHHH PEE-TAHHH!

-Lois Griffin

Blog Entries

i hate those noises lois makes at the beginning of every act to emphasize how happy/mad she is, it sounds like "ah" and she's done it since the beginning. i fucking hate it and i have no idea if anyone will understand what i'm saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome B. Wonderful View Post
    i hate those noises lois makes at the beginning of every act to emphasize how happy/mad she is, it sounds like "ah" and she's done it since the beginning. i fucking hate it and i have no idea if anyone will understand what i'm saying.
    Example?

Blog Entries

AH, i gotta tell bonnie i'm sleepin with a black man!

I just listened to that, and yeah, I know what you're talking about now. God Lois' voice makes me wanna shoot myself. That's a great ep though...imagine if they did Peter as a black man in the revival series. It would be arguably the worst thing ever.

"oh God I remember that, and all those seals died...it was all over the news. The channel two news with Dan Rather? Although I think Connie Chung might have been substituting for him that night. Welp, bout time to be hittin the old dusty trail...I like your hat".

Excellent bit.

14. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Sam

Blog Entries

yeah, "husband father brother?" is one of the best of season 3.

Another Barker/Weitzman. The most offensive bit in the whole episode is Peter going "the problem is I got no idea how to be black...except not smiling when I get my picture taken".

Blog Entries

still, the crew knew he was the stupid, misinformed guy there. unlike today.

hahahahaha i totally forgot about the hip-hop Family Guy theme at the end. That is priceless.

Blog Entries

on which we used to re-l-yyyyyyy

Back to Lois, I gotta say, I miss how caring she used to be. Remember in "Brian In Love" when Brian pissed on the carpet in the middle of the night, and she got up to check on him and see if he was okay? She actually reminded me of a real mother there.

I also really miss the animation of the first few seasons...you'll never see Brian like this anymore..

And also this very friendly-looking Peter character model that used to be the norm...

People hate on the animation now but it used to be very interesting, even if it was more crude.

Blog Entries

i don't really think anyone hates on the animation that's sensible. i think the very early animation with hilariously off-model characters is delightfully funny and awesome, and by the time it was mid-season 2 i felt the animation reached its peak. good animation, but still clearly hand-drawn and flawed.

I just think people tend to forget that before the show came back and eventually went digital, it had animation that was more similar to classic Simpsons than one might think.

edit: "Brian in Love" is also a great episode. It's very honest about Brian as a character and treats him as a real, complicated human being in a way that's true to life. Great jokes too... actually feels a lot like a classic Simpsons.
    Last edited by MindQuad; 09-01-2013 at 05:26 AM.

Blog Entries

yeah, that's true. he has a lust for a different race/species entirely, which is crazy, and he and the series knows it. that's what's wrong with new family guy. brian literally throws himself at lois, wanting to have sex with her in "play it again" and actually marries her in "castaway" which is so weird.

And I never watch this episode and think to myself "man, this show only works as a joke delivery machine and that's all it should be". People wonder why Family Guy gets criticized for having no story or character elements when it attempted to be all lowbrow comedy in the revival, and this episode is something I would point to. The show wasn't always that way, and it actually worked remarkably well. Every character feels real and likable...Brian is complicated but you root for him, because like the therapist tells him, he his a sensitive guy who puts on a hard front. Peter supports Brian throughout the episode, even if he's a little weirded out by the uncontrollable peeing. Lois feels like a caring mother who values her friendship with Brian, and also understands he might harbor feelings for her beyond friendship, and she handled the situation like a caring person would; always aware of Brians feelings yet also aware that nothing can ever happen between them. Stewie acts somewhat as an antagonist, but not necessarily "take over the world" evil like people always paint his early version. Plus in an episode with a bit of pathos, you need that juxtaposition.

The fact that almost all of the jokes hit is what elevates it to something truly memorable. It's a perfect balance that the show couldn't hit now if it tried. Granted even most early episodes weren't this emotional or character-driven, but they had least had elements of that, and actually explored the character relationships more.

Blog Entries

so weird too that the same guy wrote "stewie goes for a drive"

That...makes me sad.

27. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Sam

Banned
    standing atop the ruins of OSS' crushed dreams

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MindQuad View Post
    That...makes me sad.
    despite that episode however most of his post-revival writing credits have been solid.

30. Thumbs Up To This Post by: tyler

Yeah...they do seem to be among the better ones, although I don't like "Go, Stewie, Go" and "Mr. and Mrs. Stewie" is merely OK. It's no coincidence however that they are pretty much all Brian and Stewie eps.

Blog Entries

and have their names in them

Milhouse once mentioned a city very close to mine.
    Blog Entries

* The fact that the show sometimes tries to be a drama. I don't mind a comedy trying to wear its big-boy britches, but Family Guy doesn't do it well. Its characters (or, should I say, the current version of the show's characters) haven't been designed to carry emotion- or plot-heavy episodes, so "heavy" episodes tend to backfire for me.
    * The cutaways that not only defy logic, that not only defy humor, but defy language. Someone with the mental acumen of Peter wouldn't use a complicated construct like an adjectival phrase like "easily startled" in an everyday conversation to describe something as banal "wallpaper". It's just lousy writing which writes the joke out on the wall, thus making the cutaway pointless. That, and some of the cutaways aren't even based on actual expressions in English. I mean, I've heard "proud as a peacock", but I never heard "you're more irresponsible than a drunken elephant" or "this is more disappointing than sleeping with a rhinoceros that doesn't love you any more".

Thread Information