Page 62 of 62 FirstFirst ... 125253545556575859606162
Results 1,831 to 1,858 of 1858

Thread: Very unpopular opinions.

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

I don't necessarily mean that its depiction of the media circus is outdated (the way that Rock Bottom is willing to manipulate the truth to such a huge degree still rings true and in some ways was a premonition), just that since sexual assault is generally seen as a bigger deal and a more serious matter nowadays, it's kind of hard to watch an episode that makes light of (accidental) sexual assault and the social fallout surrounding it. Also, it seems like the fact that (even before the Rock Bottom special) most of the people who believed the accuser were portrayed as raving lunatics probably wouldn't fly now.

Like, the issues it discusses are more prevalent now than they were when the episode aired, but the drawback to that is that it's very easy to view the episode as taking a stance on specific facets of the "discourse" that probably couldn't have even been conceived of when the episode was written, and even if you logically know that the episode wasn't trying to imply XYZ, it's still hard to emotionally distance yourself from that mindset when you're watching it

IDK, it might just be that my view of the episode has been tainted by people who use this episode as an excuse to call anyone who has a sexual assault story a liar
    I'm Steven and my mom says I'm cool. Hablo español. icon by @ArtfulDodger923 on twitter.

RIP Frank Grimes 1962-1997

No episode ratings in my signature anymore, because I'm way behind.

2. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Commodus

Blog Entries

I don’t see what’s so unpopular about those
    Fuck Donald Trump. #NotMyPresident

4. Thumbs Up To This Post by: friz

Blog Entries

finally some good content
    twitter

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotDetector View Post
    Two and a Half Men is no more an "adult show" than "Rocket Power."

Blog Entries

this is no time for your deluded sex games
    :gatorpee:

Blog Entries

I don’t agree

Well that's one way to mark Halloween!

9. Thumbs Up To This Post by: tdnarbmer

don't quite cover all CousinMerl's Avatar

The first 'Treehouse Of Horror' is the best one. The later ones of the classic seasons were much funnier but when it comes to effort, artistry and tone (with a highlight on the darker stuff) I'd say it comes out on top (and 'The Raven' is one of the best segments they every did, though the other two are about just as strong).

I love the first Treehouse of Horror too. It's not my personal favorite (that mention goes to Treehouse of Horror V) but I'd say it was a wonderful special and probably the second best among the thirty editions. I liked all three segments (truly loved the first one) and, well, there are a lot of things that make of it one of my favorites episodes. I detailed it in my review.

I dare to say Treehouse of Horror (the original) is the episode when they did the best job in animation, colours, shadows, sound-mixing and all those kind of things that make an episodes beyond the writing (with was fantastic too).
    Fan of the Outstanding Animated Show of 2019.

SEASON 31 - RATINGS
    The Winter of Our Monetized Content: 3/5 / Go Big or Go Homer: 3/5 / The Fat Blue Line 4/5
    Treehouse of Horror XXX: 4/5 / Gorillas on the Mast: 3/5 / Marge the Lumberjill: 2/5
    Livin' La Pura Vida: 5/5 / Thanksgiving of Horror: 5/5 / Todd, Todd, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me: 2/5
    Bobby, It's Cold Outside: TBA / Hail of the Teeth: TBA

Sub-mediocre artist Venomrabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'd say 4's my top one, though I already mentioned a lot of why in that thread. There's a fair bit of atmosphere in that one. But I'd say 1's still right up there and was downright artful. Think a lot of the earlier thoh's definitely had their own feel to the animation, 4's got a lot of lively expressions for one!

It's odd though, I seem to often find the series more enjoyable in episodes that kinda downplay the comedy angle (well, 4 is not one of those examples but 1 definitely is) maybe because then the humour pops a little more (like Marge getting a giant, serrated knife... to spread butter)

Hercules Rockefeller Homer Samson's Avatar

I actually have always thought O&W's THOHs were better than Mirkin's. Not to say Mirkin's THOHs aren't some of the best things ever to be broadcast on television, I just like the O&W ones better
    Best and Worst Episode per Season:
    1: Krusty Gets Busted/Homer's Night Out 2: One Fish, Two Fish, Blowfish, Blue Fish/Bart's Dog Gets an 'F' 3: Bart the Murderer/Saturdays of Thunder 4: Homer the Heretic/So Its Come To This: A Simpsons Clip Show 5: Cape Feare/Lady Bouvier's Lover 6: Homie the Clown/Another Simpsons Clip Show 7: Raging Abe Simpson and his Grumbling Grandson in " The Curse of the Flying Hellfish"/Scenes From the Class Struggle in Springfield 8: The Springfield Files/The Old Man and the Lisa 9: The City of New York vs. Homer Simpson/Miracle on Evergreen Terrace 10: Mayored to the Mob/Homer Simpson in: Kidney Trouble 11: Grift of the Magi/Eight Misbehavin' 12: Trilogy of Error/I'm Goin' to Praiseland 13: The Blunder Years/The Lastest Gun in the West 14: Moe Baby Blues/The Strong Arms of the Ma 15: My Mother the Carjacker/Co-Dependent's Day 16: The Heartbroke Kid/Homer and Ned's Hail Mary Pass 17: The Seemingly Never-Ending Story/The Bonfire of the Manatees 18: The Mook, The Chef, The Wife, and Her Homer/The Boys of Bummer 19: Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind/Husbands and Knives 20: Gone Maggie Gone/Lisa the Drama Queen 21: The Squirt and the Whale/The Greatest Story Ever D'ohed 22: Homer Scissorhands/The Fight Before Christmas 23: The Book Job/Lisa Goes Gaga 24: The Saga of Carl/Love is a Many-Splintered Thing 25: Brick Like Me/What to Expect When Bart's Expecting 26: Sky Police/The Musk Who Fell to Earth 27: Barthood/Every Man's Dream 28: 22 for 30/The Caper Chase 29: Flanders' Ladder/Singin' in the Lane 30: Woo-hoo Dunnit?/I Want You (She's So Heavy)

Quote Originally Posted by King of Infinite Space View Post
    Hans Moleman has become overused and unfunny.

But then that's true of every character on the show now.
    I disagree. Every character is still good for at least a few laughs. Hans Moleman seems like he is still used rather sparingly, though.

Deep Frier of Shirts BlueRibbonCommittee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

When people complain about the quality of the show dropping, in this case its subtlety or handling of LGBT+ stereotypes, they often go to "Flaming Moe" and compare "The League of Extra-Horny Gentlemen" to "The Anvil". While there are things you can compare with that, I think this comparison is completely unfair. They served different purposes. The entire point of "The League" was that it was overly stereotypical and a "normal" gay man like Smithers or Mr. Largo wouldn't be allowed in there. "The Anvil" was supposed to be there for the element of surprise. This is comparing apples and oranges.

Here is a really unpopular opinion of mine: I prefer both the Mirkin era and the Oakley and Weinstein era over the Jean and Reiss era. The Jean and Reiss era was more grounded and slice of life than the later two eras, which is fine and all, but I just think that the slightly more fantastical later two eras had more memorable storylines.

Quote Originally Posted by Kangdos View Post
    Here is a really unpopular opinion of mine: I prefer both the Mirkin era and the Oakley and Weinstein era over the Jean and Reiss era. The Jean and Reiss era was more grounded and slice of life than the later two eras, which is fine and all, but I just think that the slightly more fantastical later two eras had more memorable storylines.
    That make's two of us

Hercules Rockefeller Homer Samson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Snorky View Post
    That make's two of us
    That makes 3 of us

Blog Entries

I might have said the opposite before, maybe. But I think my mind's changed and it might be a pretty unpopular opinion.

I don't mind Skinner and Chalmers as a duo.
    It's a bit jarring that Chalmers is almost always at the school alongside Skinner when that's not even the only school he inspects but otherwise I actually started to find their moments to be amongst the funniest of them.

I feel like Chalmers' constant presence is a bit of regret amongst the writers, in that they didn't make him the Principal and Skinner the Vice Principal or something. And I do miss Skinner's old characterization but it's not wholly incompatible with how those two are now. Skinner always held authority in high regard and as early as Seasons 3 and 4 was sycophatic towards Gary.
    Just sayin', there's a good reason the Steamed Hams bit was such a great moment.

Deep Frier of Shirts BlueRibbonCommittee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hey, I agree. I still laugh at the SKIMMMMER! joke from the crossword episode.

Blog Entries

Or in Blazed and Confused (iirc) where he addresses all the principals in the same tone. It is a little odd how often he's around Skinner but at the same time as far as characters in today's era go, he's one of the better ones.

Blog Entries

Maybe it's a bit of a hot-take but honestly, for all folks say about shark-jumping, the show can definitely be good again. It wouldn't be exactly like the classic era, there's some things we've lost and can't get back (Phil and Marcia's characters, for one) but in its' own way, it could still be just as good. Hell, it could potentially be even better.

Potentially being the keyword. I really don't think it's going to happen with Al Jean and a lot of the other old blood still where they are, it'd probably take a major shake-up or reshuffling and not because they can't get the show up to that kinda quality, they've occasionallly shown they can, like with Halloween of Horror, which was good enough to be almost universally beloved even by me (and hell, I don't even like half of the Lisa eps that are held in high regard like Lisa's Substitute and Summer of 4ft 2. Guess that's another hot-take right there)

And that right there is probably why so many of us still watch and yet get so frustrated. The unpleasant, mean-spirited tone? The warped characterizations? Wasting secondaries that could do so much more? The over reliance on guest stars? The plots that take half the ep to start up and then go nowhere? All but maybe one or two of them are entirely fixable. Get some really good writers in and it probably wouldn't even be that hard. Good writing continued to exist in places outside the show after all.
    Last edited by Venomrabbit; 11-20-2019 at 04:41 AM.

Season 31 thus far

The Winter of Our Monetized Content 3/5 / The Fat Blue Line 4/5 / Treehouse of Horror XXX 2/5 / Gorillas on the Mast 4/5 / Marge the Lumberjill 3.5/5 / Livin' La Vida Pura 2/5 /
    Thanksgiving of Horror 0/5 / Todd, Todd, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me? 4.5/5

Quote Originally Posted by Venomrabbit View Post
    Maybe it's a bit of a hot-take but honestly, for all folks say about shark-jumping, the show can definitely be good again. It wouldn't be exactly like the classic era, there's some things we've lost and can't get back (Phil and Marcia's characters, for one) but in its' own way, it could still be just as good. Hell, it could potentially be even better.

Potentially being the keyword. I really don't think it's going to happen with Al Jean and a lot of the other old blood still where they are, it'd probably take a major shake-up or reshuffling and not because they can't get the show up to that kinda quality, they've occasionallly shown they can, like with Halloween of Horror, which was good enough to be almost universally beloved even by me (and hell, I don't even like half of the Lisa eps that are held in high regard like Lisa's Substitute and Summer of 4ft 2. Guess that's another hot-take right there)

And that right there is probably why so many of us still watch and yet get so frustrated. The unpleasant, mean-spirited tone? The warped characterizations? Wasting secondaries that could do so much more? The over reliance on guest stars? The plots that take half the ep to start up and then go nowhere? All but maybe one or two of them are entirely fixable. Get some really good writers in and it probably wouldn't even be that hard. Good writing continued to exist in places outside the show after all.
    I believe that you are right. If we imagine a scenario where the show was given to a completely different creative team, I believe it could be great. After all, there are a ton of clever comedy shows being produced right now. Just imagine the team behind one of those shows being given The Simpsons, and it could be amazing.

Blog Entries

Yeah, I kinda look to shows like Gravity Falls as something like that, which is almost like if Treehouse of Horror was a series. The good ones that didn't need to be depressing and miserable and rely on tons of gore and ended up able to be more effective for it... I mean I think it had Oaklet and Weinstein on it too.
    Hell, the whole thing about recycled plots I see talked about a ton could probably be easily rectified just by caring more about the side characters... not that I think "immediately give them an episode" is the solution but there's several long-runners that get thrown to the sidelines. Maybe just letting them have more of a say in plots like Mr Largo in "Girl's in the Band" would work, did for that ep.

Quote Originally Posted by GizmoSimpson89 View Post
    From what I've seen around the web, it seems seasons 9 and 10 are regarded as the downfall.
    I don't really think there is a downfall. Certainly not at the magnitude the web would have you believe. The only real problem is the characters that serve no other purpose but being a love interest for every single character (i.e. Shauna).

I hate Marge.

Quote Originally Posted by GizmoSimpson89 View Post
    From what I've seen around the web, it seems seasons 9 and 10 are regarded as the downfall. I don't see that at all. I consider both of those seasons classic, and even most of 11. 12 is also great imo, but that's when I myself started seeing the cracks.
    To me, season 8 is the start of the downfall. Season 9, downfall is real. Season 10, it's accomplished.
    I don't even own DVD box sets from season 10 onwards.

Quote Originally Posted by King of Infinite Space View Post
    As with most of the post classic era, the gags borrow much too heavily from films,
    I don't think that's really possible. Parodying stuff has always been something The Simpsons does.

I like that the show goes on ad-infinitum, despite its decline in quality, and would rather have these newer episodes of lesser quality than for the series to have ended after season 9 or so. For me, just seeing the characters I know and love, even if the jokes aren't what they once were, puts a smile on my face.

I'd say that I want the show to continue until a main voice actor dies.

Quote Originally Posted by PilotCat1 View Post
    I like that the show goes on ad-infinitum, despite its decline in quality, and would rather have these newer episodes of lesser quality than for the series to have ended after season 9 or so. For me, just seeing the characters I know and love, even if the jokes aren't what they once were, puts a smile on my face.

I'd say that I want the show to continue until a main voice actor dies.
    But then the writers could not incorporate their characters properly into a farewell episode/series of episodes/film? Unless they ended the show on a random storyline!

Blog Entries

Well, they probably won't do it right anyway.

Thread Information