Page 57 of 59 FirstFirst ... 747484950515253545556575859 LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,710 of 1751

Thread: Very unpopular opinions.

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Quote Originally Posted by Venomrabbit View Post
    No lie, I wanna see that. He's probably one of the few characters who could at least go toe-to-toe for more than one round.

A lot of people complain about how flashback episodes tend to have half the town crammed in but honestly with those kinds of episodes it's one of the few things I pay attention to. Only weird thing is they often dress more modern in the past than present.
    It would be epic. They have never done an episode about boxing apart from the parody one "homer they fall". Willie would at least be believable. The episode could revolve around him being fed up wth the school and having flashbacks to his younger days fighting in Scotland. Then have a training camp consisting of several of the main characters :- Moe (formerboxer) , skinner (marine), snake (just a badass) , homer (former boxer) . Basically a slight parody of rocky 4 but have it tasteful. Have whoever win, but would be a fun one for sure.

What do you think is the main cause for the show not being funny anymore even in episodes considered good?

Old Simpsons had very good stories but also lots and lots of funny moments and quotable phrases that have become part of popular culture.

Modern Simpsons even in episodes I've liked doesn't really have that.
    I mean I could mention several episodes I've liked in the HD era such as The Book Job, Barthood, Halloween of Terror, Holidays of Future Past, etc and what all these have in common is that the plots are entertaining and the characterizations are consistent (that's what makes them good) but they don't really feel at least for me as being part of a comic show.

When modern Simpsons manages to make a good episode it feels good for the same reason that Peanuts was good (the plot is entertaining, you identify with the characters, some stories touch the emotional chord) but they're not the show that besides having all that it has you laughing throughout the entire episode and you could adopt many phrases in daily life so you could laugh quoting it at the right moment.

Why do you think that this happens? They can every now and then make a good plot or some emotional moment but they can't be equally funny and quotable

I'm looking for a guy for frequent sex.

Hey, guys!
    Looking for an interesting partner for sex or photo exchange.
    Very fond of swallowing sperm)))
    Meet me on the website http://bestgirls.iseekyou.today/?utm...=5c0bebca4d752
    Login is the same as here.

Junior Camper Treehouse of Spoopy's Avatar

That’s not a very unpopular opinion. Lots of people like swallowing sperm.
    nohomers.net make Treehouse of Spoopy go crazy

I want serious dialogue regarding The Principal and The Pauper. It is not bad enough to where it elevates Season 10 above Season 9. You can like 10 better, but not solely because of this episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Frightened Inmate No. 2 View Post
    -CBG is a very annoying character This is literally the only reason his character even exists. He is the embodiment of internet nerds.
    I don't think "lame" episodes are as bad as that language suggests.
    If by "lame" you mean corny and a bit campy, then they can still be good episodes. Some things are so ubiquitous in real life that not including them in stories would be farfetched.
    Last edited by TheDuffBlimp; 06-02-2019 at 02:24 PM.

Not tremendously unpopular, but there are some episodes that most people seem to think are mediocre or worse that I really like, such as "Marge Be Not Proud," "My Sister, My Sitter," and to a lesser degree "The Simpsons Spin-Off Showcase."

Kinda like Jesus Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The only place I’ve seen Marge Be Not Proud widely criticized is Dead Homer Society. Every other place, including this one, seems to really like it.
    Favorite and least favorite by season
    1. Krusty Gets Busted There’s No Disgrace Like Home 2. Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3. Homer at the Bat Like Father, Like Clown 4. Brother From the Same Planet Krusty Gets Kancelled 5. Cape Feare Lady Bouvier’s Lover 6. Homer Badman Another Simpsons Clip Show 7. King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8. Homer’s Enemy El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer 9. Bart Carny The Trouble With Trillions 10. Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: “Kidney Trouble” 11. Guess Who’s Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12. HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13. Tales From the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14. The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15. I, Annoyed Grunt)-bot Bart-Mangled Banner 16. A Star is Torn On a Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister 17. My Fair Laddy Bonfire of the Manatees 18. The Haw-Hawed Couple You Kent Always Say What You Want 19. Funeral for a Fiend All About Lisa 20. Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21. The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22. Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23. The Falcon and the D’ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24. Hardly Kirk-ing Moonshine River 25. The War of Art What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police Let’s Go Fly a Coot 27. Halloween of Horror Lisa With an ‘S’ 28. There Will Be Buds Moho House 29. Springfield Splendor Throw Grampa From the Dane

Quote Originally Posted by Financial Panther View Post
    The only place I’ve seen Marge Be Not Proud widely criticized is Dead Homer Society. Every other place, including this one, seems to really like it.
    That's good to hear. Maybe I've just been reading the wrong sites, lol.

The features that people say define the Classic Era only existed in seasons 1 and 2 and maybe part of 3.
    I'm talking about a down to earth show with realistic stories, characters facing day to day problems, the Simpson family and above all Homer being just regular residents of Springfield, Mr Burns being the evil boss that was really scary because he could fire Homer at any time and it felt believable, etc.

I would say that all of those features that people associate with the Classic era were only present in the first two seasons and part of the third.

The rest of the Classic seasons were classic because they were actually funny and inspired, with intelligent humour and intelligent plots (contrary to what it became starting with Scully) but it's not like it was a down to earth show with believable plots, at least not more than it is today in that sense.
    And the Simpson family stopped being just regular Springfield residents before the Classic Era ended also.

Quote Originally Posted by Lionheart View Post
    I kind of like Nedna.
    I dislike Nedna. I feel like they spend/spent too much time shipping Ned and Edna with a bunch of people in town.

Quote Originally Posted by IcyKali View Post
    I not only dislike 'Holidays of Future Passed', but I think it's so depressing for almost every character aside from the Simpson family, that I don't want it to count as canon.
    There does not need to be a happy ending. In fact, that is so cliche, in a show that likes pointing out cliches, that there really should not be many happy endings, if any at all.
    Last edited by TheDuffBlimp; 06-05-2019 at 07:27 PM.

Actually an Esquilax Venomrabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well even for half the family it's depressing.

Thing is, it doesn't need to be outright happy but that doesn't mean it has to be so bleak either. One of the things that made Futurama such a great world was that overall, it was pretty neutral, it didn't go into Jetsons style over-idealisation nor the opposite extreme because both would have made it hard to sit through. I wasn't as crazy about Lisa's Wedding as a lot of folks but that part was really well handled.

Besides, "Bart = unloved failure, Lisa = Success, Maggie = Older but still never talks" are cliches that it was happy to follow. If we had a flashforward where, say, Bart was, say, the creator of a highly successful animated show and with someone that actually loves him at all and Lisa was struggling to get by and crushed by student debts, that'd be a subversion. But they'd probably never do that.

Also F-P dropped the idea that it's not set in stone as a future which sucked. Up until Future-Passed, they all had an air of being probably inaccurate/just a projection turning more into little "what if" stories which was ideal for something like this. But now there's a loosly canon future that retroactively includes Future-Drama, the absolute dumbest one that could have been included, and also makes a lot of the otherwise passable things in Future-Passed incredibly stupid. I mean I don't think the episode is terrible but it's really not that great.

don't quite cover all CousinMerl's Avatar

Even though Future Passed and the future episodes from there on having a lot of things in common and looking like they are indeed setting things in stone as a sure future of sorts I still see them as a vision of a possible future that isn't to be for sure. Besides, some episodes like 'Barthood' seem to disprove and/or contradict at least some of what happens in those which might just prove that there's a point in not taking them too seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by hutz View Post
    - I hope the show continues on past season 25 (they've got nothing to lose at this point)
    Well, they are cancelling Supernatural at 15, and I would have said the same thing about that.

Blog Entries

Here’s something that seems to be becoming a majority opinion: People want to retire the strangling scenes. I have no problem with the majority of them and don’t really understand why people want them retired now. There are a few that make me uncomfortable, mostly when it’s commented on, such as Bart saying “It hurts when I swallow.” It should be something that isn’t really commented on but is just done as a quick joke. That’s why Love is a Many-Strangled Thing was such a disaster. It’s kind of a balancing act, but it’s been done well many times. So I don’t have a problem with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Santa Shoz View Post
    Bart To The Future was way better than Lisa's Wedding.
    I hope you're joking.

16. Thumbs Up To This Post by: pax

Junior Camper

Here’s something that seems to be becoming a majority opinion: People want to retire the strangling scenes. I have no problem with the majority of them and don’t really understand why people want them retired now.
    Because people in the real world have went through child abuse, and the show treats it like a joke. Think about it for a second. Lisa's slightly sad? The whole family has to take notice and pay attention to her and it's heartwarming and "serious". Homer physically abuses a ten year old child? Oh, it's just a cartoon! It doesn't really matter!
    Do you think it's a good message to send people? And don't you think it screws up the more serious moments of the show - like Homer's Mother showing up - when we're suddenly meant to feel sorry for this abusive piece of crap whose sole emotions seem to be anger or self-pity?

Blog Entries

I don’t think people should be trying to glean messages out of the show. It’s not meant to be a moral show, and I think its ability to balance emotions with quick jokes like the strangling gags is a hallmark of what made classic Simpsons so good. I don’t think it ruins the more serious moments when the strangling jokes are done correctly, i.e., not having attention called to them and just having them as quick gags. I can understand people’s issues with it, but I’m just not sure why people have only started to call for its retirement now.

Junior Camper

I don’t think people should be trying to glean messages out of the show. It’s not meant to be a moral show, and I think its ability to balance emotions with quick jokes like the strangling gags is a hallmark of what made classic Simpsons so good. I don’t think it ruins the more serious moments when the strangling jokes are done correctly, i.e., not having attention called to them and just having them as quick gags. I can understand people’s issues with it, but I’m just not sure why people have only started to call for its retirement now.
    That's a fair point. And I do think a LOT of the outrage about shows these days is really just a transient movement, which will inevitably give way to greater liberalism. Like the Apu stuff. I mean, what do you want to bet that in five or ten years, there's no controversy about him whatsoever?

Actually an Esquilax Venomrabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well it probably is part of changing standards ("That was before throwing your baby into the sun was considered child abuse") but I think the calling attention to it does make it worse. A lot of slaptick shows work (when done well) because despite the horrific injuries characters would get, it wouldn't affect them even slightly. Chopped to ribbons, fell 100ft or got caught in gears? They'd be fine next shot, maybe they'd be an accordion for a few seconds but nothing serious.

Early on, the stranglings were quickly forgotten and had no effect on anything. But it's a lot less funny when it does have consequences like the above comment or, I can't remember the episode but I think there was a moment where Bart knocked something over at the table and was afraid of being strangled again. And I think those kinds of moments are burned into people's minds and it's probably too late to recify that now.

Professional Teleporter Mícheál's Avatar
    Blog Entries

When it comes to the strangling gag, I don't think anyone really thought that much of it initially for a couple of reasons; which include the fact that the show's a cartoon, it was never really dwelled upon when it happened, and that the punishment was nearly always for fairly ridiculous reasons (at which we would also be laughing).

They only really started to go wrong with it when they aired Love is a Many Strangled Thing, where they decided to make strangling thing the entire focus of what was going on. Unsurprisingly, the episode was almost universally disliked, and in my experience: Really uncomfortable to watch.

The problem with that episode is that it's then had a knock-on effect when you watch other episodes afterwards: It makes the strangling scenes in them pretty uncomfortable now too, because you now know that (on some level) the characters are aware that its a bit messed up - something that most of us wouldn't have even given much thought too, had they not brought attention to it themselves with Love is a Many Strangled Thing .

Although saying that, I don't think they should retire it from the show, its one of the most famous and iconic running jokes in the show, and getting rid of it will do more harm to the show than good. But the strangling gag only works as a joke so long as it stays as a joke, and don't ever give it the serious/sadistic tone they gave it in Love is a Many Strangled Thing again.
    "I may or may not die young. I haven't decided yet."

Quote Originally Posted by Rover Hendrix View Post
    I hope you're joking.
    Why would they be? They are both good episodes.
    Or is it the degree that they said?
    "Way better" might be an exaggeration.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDuffBlimp View Post
    Why would they be? They are both good episodes.
    Or is it the degree that they said?
    "Way better" might be an exaggeration.
    Well Bart to the Future is considered by many to be bad, Entertainment Weekley named it the worst episode ever a few years back. I assumed they were kidding when they said it was way better than a classic.

Professional Teleporter Mícheál's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I am a fan of the future-themed episodes, and I definitely believe that Bart to the Future is the worst of that particular bunch.

It pretty much relies on novelty-like quirks and jokey technologies of the future - which weren't as great as different ones they've come up with for other future episode, plus aren't good enough on their own to make the episode.

There wasn't much to the story at all, which is a shame because I liked the setup of it (i.e: Lisa is president, so the rest of the family try to take advantage of her position). Aside from that, there were only a few other things I thought were good about this: The scene where Lisa, Milhouse and others discuss the economic crisis (one of the only scenes I thought was genuinely quite inventive and funny); and also the subplot with Homer - but Homer and Marge barely get over a minute of screen time, so it's underused.

Hercules Rockefeller

The beginning 9f this thread:

User #1: I think KTAAR is a good episode.
    User #2: I respect your opinion

Later in the thread:

User #1: Lisa the Vegetarian is a bad episode (insert dumb preaching here)
    User #2: No it's a great episode! (Insert another kind of dumb preaching here)
    Chalmers: Seymour
    Skinner: Yes?
    Chalmers: You're fired
    Skinner: (gasps) Did you just call me a liar?
    Chalmers: No, I said you were fired
    Skinner: Oh. That's much worse.

Have Brain, Will Travel Wile E. the Brain's Avatar

I never had a problem with the strangling gag either until the show called attention to the dark side of this running gag. Like you guys said, when it's just a quick, cartoon gag that has no effect afterwards (or when the effect isn't unsettling, like in The Wettest Stories Ever Told, when the character played by Marge falls in love with the one played by Homer because he strangles Bart just like her death husband used to do), only played for laughs because of its using over something minuscule yet funny, it works for me. But it became more disturbing when they showed they're perfectly aware of the consequences of this running gag on Bart, but they don't really care and just go with it because dark humor; the "it hurts when I swallow" line followed right after by another strangling is one of the most uncomfortable moments of the whole show in my opinion, because of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover Hendrix View Post
    Well Bart to the Future is considered by many to be bad, Entertainment Weekley named it the worst episode ever a few years back. I assumed they were kidding when they said it was way better than a classic.
    Very well put. However, there was bound to be somebody who did not agree, and this is an unpopular opinion thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Wile E. the Brain View Post
    I never had a problem with the strangling gag either until the show called attention to the dark side of this running gag. Like you guys said, when it's just a quick, cartoon gag that has no effect afterwards (or when the effect isn't unsettling, like in The Wettest Stories Ever Told, when the character played by Marge falls in love with the one played by Homer because he strangles Bart just like her death husband used to do), only played for laughs because of its using over something minuscule yet funny, it works for me. But it became more disturbing when they showed they're perfectly aware of the consequences of this running gag on Bart, but they don't really care and just go with it because dark humor; the "it hurts when I swallow" line followed right after by another strangling is one of the most uncomfortable moments of the whole show in my opinion, because of that.
    I usually don't watch Famiy Guy, but I was thinking that the strangling reminds me of how they treat Meg. Like strangling, it started from the beginning where they constantly treat her like shit. You're right in the idea that since they have brought up the issue of strangling the gag has lost appeal. The Family Guy episode Seahorse, Seashells and Party was one of the first times Meg actually told her family off and then at the end she backs off. The jokes still continue of the family treating her bad. Other than the insufferable Brian, this has always bothered me along with the occasional suicide joke.
    I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries.

Quote Originally Posted by Commodus View Post
    That's a fair point. And I do think a LOT of the outrage about shows these days is really just a transient movement, which will inevitably give way to greater liberalism. Like the Apu stuff. I mean, what do you want to bet that in five or ten years, there's no controversy about him whatsoever?
    Wouldn't it be nice to go back to a time where people used logic instead of overly emotions? Where people look at something and think why is this a problem here where in other countries, such as India, don't give a fuck about mundane things? SJW on both sides need to come to the reality that world doesn't revolve around them and they don't speak for everyone. Apu has been part of the show from the beginning and 29-30 years later they have a problem, don't have a cow and get over yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Lance.Uppercut View Post
    From what I've read from Simpsons Comics, I like it. Certainly more than what most of S11-13 had to offer, and somewhat more than what S14-now have to offer.
    While I don't really have an opinion one way or the other as to which is better the comics or the later seasons of the show, it is true that comics are criminally underrated.

oh dear, I say! The Spruce Moose's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shoskin View Post
    Wouldn't it be nice to go back to a time where people used logic instead of overly emotions? Where people look at something and think why is this a problem here where in other countries, such as India, don't give a fuck about mundane things? SJW on both sides need to come to the reality that world doesn't revolve around them and they don't speak for everyone. Apu has been part of the show from the beginning and 29-30 years later they have a problem, don't have a cow and get over yourself.
    People are going to be emotional over what they see as racism because that is the most natural reaction. Why does that mean they forfeit the argument?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Egg Council Creepy View Post
    Here's FIVE non-rock songs I like:
    Take On Me
    Hello
    Mad World
    Unreal Superhero 3
    Lisa Frank 420/Modern Computing
    So i'm not a rockist

Thread Information