Page 56 of 61 FirstFirst ... 646474849505152535455565758596061 LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,680 of 1829

Thread: Very unpopular opinions.

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Season 30 may be the most dull and boring season so far (not necessarily the worst, though). I haven't seen every episode, but "having some good laughs" isn't a reason I would recommend this season to someone.

Which seasons do you guys think challenge it for least amusing? Maybe 17 and/or any of a number of seasons since then?

Quote Originally Posted by HitoftheMillennium View Post
    Season 30 may be the most dull and boring season so far (not necessarily the worst, though). I haven't seen every episode, but "having some good laughs" isn't a reason I would recommend this season to someone.

Which seasons do you guys think challenge it for least amusing? Maybe 17 and/or any of a number of seasons since then?
    S17 is definitely a contender for the least amusing, although I would personally assign the title of 'most unfunny season' to one of the early HD seasons (with S28 being the most aggressively bad (by HD-era standards) of the more recent seasons, which tend to evoke a sense of listlessness over awfulness), with S23 being the most likely candidate (watch even the opening act of an episode such as Them, Robot or At Long Last Leave and the entire 'plot' amounts to little above a montage of painful or at best lame jokes stretched loosely around a series of uninspired setpieces, which creates a frustrating viewing experience).

On a more thread-relevant note:
    - I actually find S11-12 less subpar than the early Jean seasons on a viewing level, if only by a narrow margin. While I refuse to deny that S11 and 12 were dominated by a number of terrible episodes (production season-wise, Homer the Moe is definitely one of the worst pre-HD episodes), several instalments at least contain a vestigial trace of the classic era's subversive sensibilities and comedy (even if the creative team winds up executing it more blandly when it does emerge); by comparison, the Jean era as a whole, even its earliest run (13-15) feels extremely banal and oversimplified (essentially a surface-level montage of classic-era tropes strung together to create the impression of The Simpsons as opposed to legitimately being the actual Simpsons of S1-8, with the actual story content declining significantly by S17) to me in a way which antithesizes the series' original sensibilities far more than the crude, zany Homer antics of the Scully era could.
    - The Front is actually a surprisingly underrated episode - criticism is often lobbied at the thin plot, which is true, but the episode wisely manages to avert the full extent of the issue by structuring and presenting itself as more an 'average day in the life' as opposed to bluntly presenting itself as two unrelated narrative threads, which gives the episode a sense of fun, breezy realism. I will also forever love Rich Moore's direction and How to Buy Action Figure Man.
    - Brother's Little Helper is a relatively decent episode despite its flaws and contains some of S11's more on-point satire (considering that the remainder of the season is surprisingly light on satirical content save for Grift of the Magi and possibly Behind the Laughter).
    Last edited by Captain Wacky; 03-16-2019 at 12:13 PM.

3. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Beggs

The show does not have to be funny.

Getting carried away on you Venomrabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Part agree there. I think it's similar with a lot of people. After all, it's a comedy show, but at the same time I think a lot of us agree that it doesn't have to try and be funny all of the time. After all, a lot of the best ones have their funny moments for sure but are mainly pretty serious too.

Have Brain, Will Travel Wile E. the Brain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Welcome to Moe's View Post
    I actually like season 24, I'm watching it now and have been the past few days and there's some good episodes, found myself laughing quite a bit and there's been some clever witty jokes.
    I don't think it's a great season, by no means, but I think it could be my favorite season of the HD era, so I'm glad to see that. There's some episodes I really enjoy like Dangers on a Train or Dark Knight Court.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDuffBlimp View Post
    The show does not have to be funny.
    I don't think it's that much an unpopular opinion. There are a lot of episodes that pretty much everyone (and myself) love, without being the funniest, for other reasons like the story, the atmosphere, the emotion...
    Last edited by Wile E. the Brain; 03-17-2019 at 02:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Venomrabbit View Post
    Part agree there. I think it's similar with a lot of people. After all, it's a comedy show, but at the same time I think a lot of us agree that it doesn't have to try and be funny all of the time. After all, a lot of the best ones have their funny moments for sure but are mainly pretty serious too.
    I too have to agree that it's not strictly necessary for the show to be funny, not only because to me it's more than just a comedy but also since if an episode has a good plot, is interesting and well written it's all it takes to make a good episode to me. An example is 'The Color Yellow' which to me wasn't that funny at all but it was pretty interesting and had a well written and laid out plot which held it up.

Birthplace of the Flaming Moe Welcome to Moe's's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wile E. the Brain View Post
    I don't think it's a great season, by no means, but I think it could be my favorite season of the HD era, so I'm glad to see that. There's some episodes I really enjoy like Dangers on a Train or Dark Knight Court.

I don't think it's that much an unpopular opinion. There are a lot of episodes that pretty much everyone (and myself) love, without being the funniest, for other reasons like the story, the atmosphere, the emotion...
    Yeah, Dangers on a Train is brilliant

'"Uh, Hugh Jass! D'oh, somebody check the men's room for a Hugh Jass"

When it comes to the HD seasons and favorites, I feel that season 29 is possibly the best one so far and hitting the mark pretty well with a lot of the episodes being fairly well executed and being pretty good to really good overall. One of the early HD seasons often comes up as personal picks but I feel that 29 flows better than them and is more consistent with a bigger number of better (and not to mention more memorable) episodes.

10. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Beggs

Deep Frier of Shirts BlueRibbonCommittee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CousinMerl View Post
    While the chief justice thing might have been a joke I recall it having been brought up one or more times later down the line, likely in the HD era, (If I'm not misremembering things) and a lot of fans seem to have embraced it as possibly happening on Bart's future. .
    "Flanders' Ladder" during the death sequence at the end.

I actually very much enjoyed the Armin Tamzarian episode.

13. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Commodus

Blog Entries

There's plenty of legitimate reasons to criticize the modern Simpsons episodes but frankly some of the standards people set are ridiculous. And I don't mean "don't think about it, go in with low standards!" I mean the standards some people critique it by are so obscenely high that by their logic, all the classic episodes are crap. Like if I felt like being an asshole, I could look at all the classics from a DHS-user's Pov (well, applied more objectively) and most of the fandom darlings would suddenly look like shit like how things like Mother Simpson and Lisa's Substitute are super manipulative or whatever.

I don't think there are any canonical issues and their songs are not that bad.
    It's just when you compare their songs to the one's Bob's Burgers are doing, they stand no chance.

Why unpopular? I also like the show and hope a lot of seasons will be further.

The only thing The Simpsons really changes is the timeline and the layout of the city (and probably the state it is located in). Those are not that big of a deal because it is difficult for there to be much continuity to be found in the show, so each episode may as well be in its own bubble.

Okay. I will be the one to say it....cancelling The Cleveland Show after four seasons was a mistake second only to cancelling King of the Hill, with Futurama in third place.

Season 13 is rated probably exactly where it deserves to be.
    Last edited by TheDuffBlimp; 04-05-2019 at 04:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Venomrabbit View Post
    Part agree there. I think it's similar with a lot of people. After all, it's a comedy show, but at the same time I think a lot of us agree that it doesn't have to try and be funny all of the time at Edu Birdie . After all, a lot of the best ones have their funny moments for sure but are mainly pretty serious too.
    Comedies make our lives happier. Do you agree? There are a lot of opinions that can be taken into account while the process of working starts. But what is about the main aspects of them?

Here are some very unpopular opinions (sorry for my bad english ('cause I'm french)):

- There's no disgrace like home is a excellent episode
    - The end of "Two Cars In Every Garage, Three Eyes on Every Fish" where Marge comforts Homer, makes the episode imperfect
    - The Way We Was is boooooooring and incosistent
    - Same for The Otto Show
    - Colonel Homer isn't so good
    - Only the last segment is good in THOH III
    - Marge Gets A Job is underestimated
    - Last Exit to Springfield is overestimated
    - THOH IV is better than THOH V
    - Homer and Apu is overestimated
    - Grampa VS. Sexual Inadequacy is underestimated
    - The PTA Disbands is better than Last Exit to Springfield (both of them are about the strike)
    - Homer the Smithers is not so good
    - Homerpalooza is the worst episode of season 7
    - Only the last segment is good in THOH VII
    - El Viaje Misterioso De Nuestro Jomer is overestimated
    - The Twisted World of Marge Simpson is good
    - All Singing, All Dancing is better than a lot of non-clip-show episodes
    - Trouble With Trillions is underestimated
    - Sunday Cruddy Sunday is good
    - Saddlesore Galactica isn't so bad without the jockey scene
    - Bart to the Future is a good episode
    - Kill the Alligator and Run and Simpson Safari are good (oops, I shouldn't have said that here)
    - Also Homer vs Dignity
    - Bart-Mangled Banner is pretty good

- The 1st, 2nd, 9th and 10th season are part of Golden Age. The eleventh season is both good and bad
    - Scully may be a show-runner, it's also the writers' fault if the episodes are crazy and insane.
    - John Swartzwelder is an excellent writer (probably the best) !

Don't forge, that's my opinion... even if I'm right.

Junior Camper

Quote Originally Posted by TheDuffBlimp View Post
    I actually very much enjoyed the Armin Tamzarian episode.
    I think it's worth watching just for the line "Armin Tamzarian's reign of terror is over."
    The Simpsons did brutally insensitive comedy so well at times.

I also like it for its glimpse into what Tamzarian would be doing if he were not the principal of Springfield Elementary.

I was thinking of the Scully era and I have to say that the "Surf's up!" ending of 'The Great Money Caper' honestly never bothered me.

I never felt the need to hear the full exact explanation of how the town got together to teach them a lesson, just that they did so (except for Willie). I think that going deeper into it with an overexplanation would've been superfluous so I never got disappointed and/or angry over the choice, no matter how silly and nonsensical the surf ending is (and it is just that).

I think seasons 20, 21, and 22 are equal to 6,7, and 8.

The Scully era for all its bad (and I agree that in ruined the show and the characters permanently) was still funnier than anything in the Jean era which feels like a souless show in automatic pilot.
    The Scully era even if it got wackier and crazier and the characters more unlikeable still knew how to be a comic show and you felt there was an effort behind even if the results weren't good.

That's my impopular opinion

Clupid bloropope Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That’s definitely a majority opinion here nowadays.
    Favorite and least favorite by season
    1. Krusty Gets Busted There’s No Disgrace Like Home 2. Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3. Homer at the Bat Like Father, Like Clown 4. Brother From the Same Planet Krusty Gets Kancelled 5. Cape Feare Lady Bouvier’s Lover 6. Homer Badman Another Simpsons Clip Show 7. King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8. Homer’s Enemy El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer 9. Bart Carny The Trouble With Trillions 10. Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: “Kidney Trouble” 11. Guess Who’s Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12. HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13. Tales From the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14. The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15. I, Annoyed Grunt)-bot Bart-Mangled Banner 16. A Star is Torn On a Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister 17. My Fair Laddy Bonfire of the Manatees 18. The Haw-Hawed Couple You Kent Always Say What You Want 19. Funeral for a Fiend All About Lisa 20. Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21. The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22. Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23. The Falcon and the D’ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24. Hardly Kirk-ing Moonshine River 25. The War of Art What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police Let’s Go Fly a Coot 27. Halloween of Horror Lisa With an ‘S’ 28. There Will Be Buds Moho House 29. Springfield Splendor Throw Grampa From the Dane

Other unpopular opinions I have.

- Halloween of Terror was just an okay episode. I watched it because I heard all the hype and I thought it was just ok. Yeah probably it's a stand out of the newer seasons but that just shows how weak the newer seasons have been.
    Granted that I haven't watched an entire season in years (last one was probably 19 and part of 20) but I still watch some particular episodes that are recommended and receive praise and I thought that Holidays of Future Passed or Barthood were much better than that one.

And this leads to my second unpopular opinion and that is that even in their stand out episodes the show doesn't know how to be a comic show anymore.
    Take Barthood and Holidays of Future Passed, they're mostly good because they are nostalgic and achieve a good characterization of the characters but they are hardly a comic show.
    They're good because they trigger the nostalgia factor and are well rounded episodes in which the characters' personalities are consistent but they're not for the most part funny episodes the way the show used to be even past their classic era.

This proves how much the show has been past its prime that when they make a good episode nowadays it's not usually because it's funny.

I don't like any of the Sideshow Bob episodes after Krusty Gets Busted.
    Pokemon Moon Friend Code 5473-2104-2310
    Looking for shiny, legendary, and mythical. Got shiny Sandshrew (Alola)
    Have various starters, zorua, can breed many pokemon.
    Current egg move hatching: Tyrunt with fire fang

'Bart to the Future' was a more enjoyable episode than 'Lisa's Wedding', but they were both pretty good.

Blog Entries

agree

30. Thumbs Up To This Post by: cam

Blog Entries

grandpa should have killed himself in 'old money'
    :gatorpee:

There is no “worst” main character.

I also do not think any character has been "ruined".
    Last edited by TheDuffBlimp; 05-23-2019 at 01:24 PM.

''groundskeeper willie could beat dredereck tatum in a fight''

Blog Entries

No lie, I wanna see that. He's probably one of the few characters who could at least go toe-to-toe for more than one round.

A lot of people complain about how flashback episodes tend to have half the town crammed in but honestly with those kinds of episodes it's one of the few things I pay attention to. Only weird thing is they often dress more modern in the past than present.

Thread Information