Page 55 of 61 FirstFirst ... 54546474849505152535455565758596061 LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,650 of 1823

Thread: Very unpopular opinions.

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

I find "Maximum Homerdrive" to be one of season 10's most enjoyable episodes. It's difficult to articulate why exactly, but the episode's self-referential tone (which it upholds with a stronger comedic base than the limpness of the Jean era's attempts at a similar style of humor - I doubt that anyone other than Swartzwelder could pull off the cow hallucination and the napalm train gags comparably) ultimately absolves much of the asinine/cliched (Homer acquiring a wacky profession in season 10 and behaving like a maniac) nature of the plot and Jerkass Homer's ubiquity for me.
    Last edited by Captain Wacky; 01-29-2019 at 11:30 PM.

Moe is similar to Krusty, but I find him less reprehensible and like episodes that feature him as a protagonist more than Krustry-centered episodes. Maybe it's because Krusty is a celebrity, has a lot of money and has influence with children and still acts like a jackass while Moe's life sucks and you're more inclined to feel bad for him.

I also find him more entertaining.

Yeah, Moe is sleazy but he has a heart and shows his vulnerability sometimes. Krusty is just a cynical lazy clown who doesn't seem to hardly show guilt or remorse. Him helping the circus clowns with his money was one of, if not the nicest thing I have ever seen him do. I'd take a Moe episode over a Krusty one any day.
    Pokemon Moon Friend Code 5473-2104-2310
    Looking for shiny, legendary, and mythical. Got shiny Sandshrew (Alola)
    Have various starters, zorua, can breed many pokemon.
    Current egg move hatching: Tyrunt with fire fang

I like Lisa the Iconoclast a lot and find Homer the Smithers overrated. The latter is one of the highest rated Simpsons episodes on IMDb and it's nothing special by classic era standards to me (but is still a good episode IMO).

I think it may have actually been in the top five on IMDb at one point.

Clupid bloropope Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

A lot of people like Iconoclast. It was in the top 100 episodes list. I personally can’t stand the ending, though.
    Favorite and least favorite by season
    1. Krusty Gets Busted There’s No Disgrace Like Home 2. Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3. Homer at the Bat Like Father, Like Clown 4. Brother From the Same Planet Krusty Gets Kancelled 5. Cape Feare Lady Bouvier’s Lover 6. Homer Badman Another Simpsons Clip Show 7. King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8. Homer’s Enemy El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer 9. Bart Carny The Trouble With Trillions 10. Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: “Kidney Trouble” 11. Guess Who’s Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12. HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13. Tales From the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14. The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15. I, Annoyed Grunt)-bot Bart-Mangled Banner 16. A Star is Torn On a Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister 17. My Fair Laddy Bonfire of the Manatees 18. The Haw-Hawed Couple You Kent Always Say What You Want 19. Funeral for a Fiend All About Lisa 20. Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21. The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22. Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23. The Falcon and the D’ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24. Hardly Kirk-ing Moonshine River 25. The War of Art What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police Let’s Go Fly a Coot 27. Halloween of Horror Lisa With an ‘S’ 28. There Will Be Buds Moho House 29. Springfield Splendor Throw Grampa From the Dane

The ending works for me. Sure, it kind of feels unsatisfying, but I don't really see it as a cop-out and I think it rings true even if we may not want to acknowledge it. The myth of Springfield has obviously brought a sense of pride and joy to the town of Springfield, so why take that away when people are happy believing the myth? It's something I think we can all relate to. There are some things that people believe that aren't true that they would rather not find out the truth about.

Getting carried away on you Venomrabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm seriously on the fence with it.

On one hand, I do get the idea that people came together and not wanting to ruin that but on the other hand, it's a lot more unfortunate nowadays with various creators and the like having some rather horrible things come out about them, where people write off those horrible deeds based on one thing they did, not even necessarily disbelieving them. Maybe they could have added a mention of bringing the evidence out when maybe the Jebediah fever had calmed down a bit.

However the worst part by far is she totally screwed over George Washington and still got to be president instead of Janey.

I may need to go at it again but last time I watched the Principal and the Pauper I... didn't think it was that bad. I mean it's obvious why it's hated but I remember seeing a lot I did like, I think it was one of Edna's best episodes for one and really went to show how strong a pair she and Skinner (uh... *our* Skinner) were.

Chatting Simpsons Since '93 Brad Lascelle's Avatar

Edna, Agnes and Marge are all uniformly excellent in Pauper. I consider it to be Ken Keeler's best episode outside of El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer... and the latter got a significant assist from Jim Reardon's immaculate direction.
    SEASON 31 RANKINGS
    The Winter of Our Monetized Content - 2/5 / Go Big or Go Homer - 2.5/5 / The Fat Blue Line - 3.5/5
    THOH XXX = Danger Things - ?/5 / Heaven Swipes Right - ?/5 / When Hairy Met Slimy - ?/5

Blog Entries

El Viaje kind of sucks. There’s an unpopular opinion for you. When you look past the hallucinogenic stuff, it’s really an uninteresting, bare-bones plot.

10. Thumbs Up To This Post by: tyler

Blog Entries

Indeed, it was a great showing for them... yet also doomed by concept. I'm not sure if it would have been better or worse had this supposedly groundbreaking revelation actually factored into anything instead of being loudly brushed under the rug. I think most people just hated the idea of Skinner being a fake in itself but I think overall what bothered me more was the way they'd acted like it was all entirely normal still but there was the nagging fact that he wasn't really Skinner just looming around like something in the shadows that just won't come out but you know it's there.

Or maybe it was the more mean spirited resolution, that the real Skinner was pulled aside and ran out of town. Maybe it might have gone better if he was the one incredibly unsatisfied with life in Springfield (there were moments that'd build up to it, like the students being brats and Edna's and Agnes' attitude towards him) and voluntarily traded identities/names at the end? That way "Armin" could leave for somewhere like Capital City and find a fresh start and "Skinner" could continue the new life he's made for himself, with his mentor-figure's blessing? I guess that wouldn't have solved everything but maybe things would have gone over a little better that way.

And uh, inclined to agree there about El Viaje. I guess it's just a retroactive distain for marriage-crisis plots that spoils it a bit. I still really like the first half or so but I think it might have been more meaningful had it not had a marriage crisis backdrop but still having Homer question whether Marge is his soulmate. After all, some of us have had times where we've doubted whether someone like a best friend even likes us for no concrete reason at all outside of self-doubt, which Homer does seem to have(like thinking Mona left because he was a terrible son in Mother Simpson) and it was all just the hallucinations messing with his head.
    Last edited by Venomrabbit; 01-30-2019 at 11:06 AM.

El Viaje is quite entertaining from what I remember... at least the first half or so. I like it more than Homer the Smithers anyway.

In your face, Space Coyote!

Just want to backtrack a bit and quickly comment on Krusty as a character.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Stanley View Post
    I don't really find Krusty likable tbh. He's a fucking jerk. Part of the joke of the show is he's been openly horrible to Bart numerous times yet Bart still worships him. He's like a Seinfeld character, like George Costanza or something.

As @Paul Stanley said, Krusty is an absolute jerk to Bart in almost every episode they have dialogue together, despite the fact that Bart would do virtually anything for the man. The fact that Krusty even considers punching a ten-year-old in the face makes him a complete asshole of a character in my book.

don't quite cover all CousinMerl's Avatar

I have to say that I at least partially agree about Krusty. Not a big fan of the character and most of that stems from that he's really often portrayed as almost excessively of a jerkass with little to no positive traits (which he used to have a few of in the early seasons; I wish they could tap into those kind of moments more).

And 'El Viaje Misterioso' is a great episode. Not a big fan of the marriage crisis plots overall but this is probably the best one to me, especially with the aspects of the pepper festival and Homer's trip that comes in as the major thing (it is a great concept and completely worked in it's execution with the writing, jokes and animation); the marriage crisises most often come off as forced but the set up was solid, the crisis itself felt pretty natural as far as misunderstanding-type stories goes (and was relegated to the last act) and it had a great ending.
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 01-31-2019 at 01:29 AM.

Blog Entries

I think with Moe at least, he's not quite the same as Krusty. If anything he's more in a similar boat to Nelson where he's generally unpleasant in a lot of ways but there's like one or two people he's kinder towards. That and he had been constantly put down, punched down and generally shit upon throughout his whole life and lives in a dump with barely anyone to call a friend, compared to Krusty who's a pampered celebrity and still rich even though nobody likes anything he does. Though if the last Krusty ep was anything to go by, he doesn't like himself much either... murder attempt aside it was one of his better episodes, even making a sacrifice for someone else's gain... even though it kicked him in the baggy pants in the end. But for the most part, Moe's got a miserable life while Krusty just seems to be a jerkass.

About that last episode ('Krusty The Clown') I still think that it's ridiculous that Bart prefers Krusty over Homer and desperately wants to help him even after he learns that Krusty attempted to murder his (Bart's) father in a psychotic fit of petty rage (maybe his worst moment overall thus far), but I agree that the story he got was a good one with his surprising sacrifice and it was easy to feel for him in the end when his new and so-called friends just spat in his face despite him essentially redeeming himself.

Bart's admiration for Krusty made a lot more sense in the earlier seasons, before the writers dialled up the unpleasantness of his character, and when he was still portrayed as a competent entertainer who was passionate about performance. One could see how Bart would like his on-screen persona and admire his ability to entertain, since Bart himself also enjoys having an audience. As Krusty has not only become less sympathetic but also come to be portrayed as a jaded hack who doesn't even try and was never any good, his success, popularity, and Bart's admiration for him seem far less likely. I definitely believe it was bad character development to have him be both a lousy person and a lousy entertainer, with few redeeming qualities in either area.

I can understand why "El Viaje..." isn't loved by everyone, especially with a retroactive dislike of marriage crisis plots, and given that the episode is both strange yet also pretty straightforward. It is one of my all-time favourites though because of the visual creativity, and also a lot of the jokes. Johnny Cash was great as the Space Coyote, and "This is just your memory; I can't give you any new information" ranks up there was one of the best jokes in the series for the way it subverts a common trope. I also feel that as far as marriage crisis plots are concerned, it isn't really a crisis.

After all, Marge is annoyed at Homer over an incident from the previous year, and then is upset with him when she thinks he's broken his promise (thanks in no small part to Helen Lovejoy's poisonous gossip). She's too angry to listen to anything about soulmates, but the marriage is never really in crisis; it's just an argument, a speed bump. Really, it's Homer who's questioning whether they're a good match, a worry that's bubbled to the surface during his insanity pepper trip. It's refreshing that for once, Homer is the one reflecting on their relationship and wondering if he's right in thinking that they belong together, especially when you consider that it's something he's firmly believed since they first met in high school. There isn't all that much fighting when it's all said and done, more a case of Homer's introspection when a fear he has is brought to the front of his mind. Marge isn't questioning the whole relationship or kicking Homer out or planning on leaving. It's Homer figuring things out and grappling with a bit of insecurity.

Now, that's not to say that it will resonate or entertain everyone. Again, I completely understand why people don't much care for it. That is why it still holds up for me though, even though marriage crisis plots have been done to death, and that can retroactively spoil episodes in the classic era. To me, it really is about Homer taking a journey - first the trip, and then the introspection - than a straight-up marriage crisis.
    A little less Generic than before.

Blog Entries

Indeed, there's two ways Krusty could go, they just needed to pick one and stick with it. A lousy, but passionate entertainer who tends to compulsively goof off (like in Itchy & Scratchy & Marge where during an interview he had a hard time staying out of character) even if he knows only children actually find his schtick funny. And that his attitude in the present such as in "Like Father, Like Clown" is more to do with him having a really low mood thanks to things like family problems for instance (after all, when finally browbeaten into showing up, he gets torturously sentimental over this family he barely knows just because they weren't estranged.

Or they could go the far less sympathetic (but more unpleasantly a symbol of America) in having him be an excellent entertainer and top notch comedian but a krappy person through and through but of course, he gets the laughs so people excuse and stick up for his terrible attitude. How many folks have had unpleasant allegations come to the surface only for people to defend those people not by the content of their character or likelihood of it actually happening but just because they're good at a thing which somehow makes up for things like sexual assault and the like if true. It'd definitely give someone like Lois a bit more of a role there, as at least some anchor to decency, the one person who isn't treated as a disposable bootlick, actually has the inclination to stick around a guy like that but also not afraid to reel him in when he starts getting way over the line.

... Might be a bite late now though.

Have Brain, Will Travel Wile E. the Brain's Avatar

Me too, I think El Viaje Misterioso... is a great episode (and one of my favorites), I get the idea some people are annoyed by the fact they went on an argument between Homer and Marge during the last act, but as it was said, it works here because it's not a big crisis for a stupid misunderstanding involving for example other women than Marge (comparing with Friends and Family, which is ruined by Marge's behavior for no legitimate reason) and herself doesn't go to the extreme, and it's Homer that figured out his own insecurity about his relation with Marge, about the fact they have some differences, and if it has a big impact on their marriage or not. And that doesn't seem pointless after his psychedelic dream, since we can see a premise of his insecurity during it. And yeah, the dream itself is filling with creativity and gorgeous visuals, and there's a lot of good jokes (the fish eating the other always make me laugh).
    Last edited by Wile E. the Brain; 02-04-2019 at 10:16 AM.

20. Thumbs Up To This Post by: $impson, Beggs

I do not care that much about The Simpsons. I come here for the people.

Not sure if this is unpopular, but I'd say Ray Patterson is quite underrated and/or under-appreciated. People make a big fuss over Grimes, but Patterson is quite similar and reacts to Homer in a similar manner. I think he's a good portrayal of a serious, all business sort of public servant.

"What button? What the hell are you talking about?!"

Oh, and I was watching an old King of the Hill episode last night (the one where Khan gets fired and Hank has to take care of his family) and I've thought about whether that show would receive backlash if it was still on for the way Kahn's family and John Redcorn are portrayed.

I love that fucking show, but I think it may be for the best that it ended prior to this decade. I'm not so sure it would go over so well today... in light of the whole Apu controversy.

If you go back and watch that shit with strict PC standards in mind, daaamn, there are some things that might really offend people nowadays. Also, Kahn is such an asshole lol.

I don't know how unpopular the opinion is, but when it comes to Bart's possible futures I have to say I prefer him having a custom bike shop ('Barthood') over being chief justice of the supreme court ('Itchy & Scratchy: The Movie'). I guess I am a sucker for the more down to earth (and i feel the former does fit his creative persona more).

Blog Entries

Same honestly. I think the supreme justice thing was sort of a joke on how much difference discipline would make but as a quick gag it does work well enough. I'm really no fan of the mindset of making someone ridiculously successful just because "they're smrt" or whatever like with President Lisa.

That and owning some small business really is the only way I see him holding down a job. After all, he's not very good at bending over backwards for terrible authority figures.

I guess it was just a book end for a joke landed sooner in the episode (with Edna saying that even the poorest student can be chief justice of the supreme court with discipline, and that became a running gag in the same episode by the way). But otherwise, I agree, if it's just for a short scene I can handle that, but I prefer when they go to more realistic territories when it comes to some characters possible futures.

While the chief justice thing might have been a joke I recall it having been brought up one or more times later down the line, likely in the HD era, (If I'm not misremembering things) and a lot of fans seem to have embraced it as possibly happening on Bart's future.

Still, I think that it too high concept for a character like Bart; either the bike shop future or something even more artistic (maybe graffiti-type art?) feels much more probable.

Really ? I didn't remember they brought up that in the latter episodes. If this was the case and if this is really intended as a possibly happening for Bart, so yes I also think that is too much.
    It ate EVERYBODY, stupid !

It's also alluded to in "Lisa's Wedding" when Bart mentions getting out all of his aggression before going to law school.

Blog Entries

Count me in with the folks who never liked the Chief Justice thing’s being semi-canon. I don’t have a problem with Bart being shown having a little success; Bart to the Future could be downright depressing at times with his outcome. But Chief Justice of the Supreme Court just isn’t something I find realistic for him.

I like it in so much as the joke of such a naughty kid and rebellious rule breaker ending up in such an important position within the legal system, but I'm definitely not attached to it being his absolute canonical future.

Birthplace of the Flaming Moe Welcome to Moe's's Avatar

I actually like season 24, I'm watching it now and have been the past few days and there's some good episodes, found myself laughing quite a bit and there's been some clever witty jokes.

'"Uh, Hugh Jass! D'oh, somebody check the men's room for a Hugh Jass"

Thread Information