Page 53 of 69 FirstFirst ... 3434445464748495051525354555657585960616263 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,590 of 2047

Thread: Very unpopular opinions.

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

I have a new one: HOMER'S ENEMY DOESN'T HOLD UP FOR ME
    Simpsons Comics 1993-2018

Birthplace of the Flaming Moe Welcome to Moe's's Avatar

I don't know if I've mentioned this in this thread but I love season one and would go as far as saying it's one of the best seasons of the show, I know the show wasn't fully developed at that point and was finding it's feet etc... but it's among the best seasons for me, if not the best in a funny kind of way. It's kind of hard to explain as I know other seasons were more developed, they found their feet etc.. and of course it's much more extensive and better but season one has something special about it, mistakes and all and the rough style, I just love it. I actually find myself watching season one a lot (I just wish the DVD had a play all on that season).

I also love a lot of characters that people can't always get why, for example, Cowboy Bob is one of my favourites, to most it's like "Eh, he's only been in one episode and it's not that he does much" but I just feel his whole character is fantastic and has an aura about him, it's a real play on the typical salesman and exaggerated and I just love it haha

In regards to the new seasons, I do feel they should continue as long as they want to as when the writers feel that they can't do anymore is the real reason as to when the show should wrap up, people can say they're clinging on or whatever but I don't agree with that sentiment cause if anything Fox are forever nagging them to renew (which shows the show is still a bigger success than often given credit for). The only thing that does worry me a little is the show getting a sudden stop, it would feel quite disappointing for me to have a fantastic series for 30 years plus without getting it's final ending scene.

I also think Al Jean is fantastic, he's got so much love and passion for the show and this is what we need for our favourite shows, someone who actually cares about the show as opposed to someone who's doing it because it's a job.

I'm not sure all these are unpopular but I know a lot of people have disagreed with my sentiments above.

'"Uh, Hugh Jass! D'oh, somebody check the men's room for a Hugh Jass"

Season 9 does not qualify as part of the classic era by any means. It's far superior to anything afterwards, but contains too many sitcom-esque/cartoonish elements (such as a number of bizarre third act twists ("This Little Wiggy") and Homer having his head caught in a drawbridge) and awkward episodes ("The Trouble With Trillions" being the most prominent by airdate) to be fully grouped alongside its predecessors. Not to mention that "When You Dish Upon a Star" (otherwise the first genuinely bad episode of the series) falls into the season 9 production line, supporting this further.
    Seasons 2 and 5 are two of my favourite seasons.
    Many of the show's more acclaimed recent episodes are not actually that spectacular; they merely happen to have more coherent plots or well-mapped characterization than the episodes around them, leading them to stand out more. Place "Brick Like Me" into S9, for example, and it would be one of the lowest-quality episodes of the season.
    I actually kind of like "Maximum Homerdrive" and "E-I-E-I-(Annoyed Grunt)" despite their stupidity and poor plotting/characterization, mainly because of just how unapologetic they are in their insanity. The same applies to "New Kids on the Blecch".
    I actually believe that the main issue with the early Jean era is its general ambitions. It desires to imitate the classic era's genuine tone and deeper characterization, yet simultaneously is driven by mostly Scully-era writers and therefore comes off as mostly artificial/sterile and uninspired (as it attempts the 'archetypes with depth' characterization of seasons 3-4 yet fails to head anywhere interesting with them, leading to the episodes becoming little more than montages of cliched conventions and occasional poor comedy). It doesn't irritate me to the extent of S11 and S12, but it's debatably more insulting and is harder to watch due to its soullessness.
    Both "Weekend at Burnsie's" and "Little Girl in the Big Ten" are bad episodes dominated by dull comedy and bizarre climaxes.

Have Brain, Will Travel Wile E. the Brain's Avatar

So as I said in the "underrated season 12" thread, I guess I am the only one who's a fan of Simpson Safari. I'm aware it's a very wacky episode, but I still find it hilarious, with an entertaining trip. And with a lot of typical Swartzwelder's jokes (I love the ending when the Simpsons actually accept the diamonds, great subversion of a cliché ending).

Needs attention Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I like Simpson Safari too. I never really understood the hate for it. It’s a very funny episode, and like you said, the ending is very good. I don’t think Homer’s too bad in it either, jerkass-wise, other than at the beginning.
    Favorite and least favorite by season
    1. Life on the Fast Lane Homer’s Night Out 2. Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3. Homer at the Bat Like Father, Like Clown 4. Brother From the Same Planet Krusty Gets Kancelled 5. Cape Feare Lady Bouvier’s Lover 6. Homer Badman Another Simpsons Clip Show 7. King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8. Homer’s Enemy The Simpsons Spin-Off Showcase 9. Bart Carny The Trouble With Trillions 10. Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: “Kidney Trouble” 11. Guess Who’s Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12. HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13. Tales From the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14. The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15. I, (Annoyed Grunt)-bot Bart-Mangled Banner 16. A Star is Torn On a Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister 17. My Fair Laddy Bonfire of the Manatees 18. The Haw-Hawed Couple You Kent Always Say What You Want 19. Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind All About Lisa 20. Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21. The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22. Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23. The Falcon and the D’ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24. Hardly Kirk-ing Moonshine River 25. The War of Art What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police Let’s Go Fly a Coot 27. Halloween of Horror Lisa With an ‘S’ 28. There Will Be Buds Moho House 29. Springfield Splendor Throw Grampa From the Dane 30. Daddicus Finch I Want You (She’s So Heavy) 31. Thanksgiving of Horror Warrin’ Priests (Part Two)

Hang in there! BloodySimpsonChibi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I also enjoy Simpsons Safari a lot. Especially the scenes with that Jane Goodall ripoff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaine View Post
    I'd imagine patting Lisa on the head would sting, damn kids with their spiky heads.

Nice to see that, guys. And I either don't think Homer is a totally jerk in this one, except at the beginning but it don't bother me since it's voluntary and he's not the only one who's a jerk towards the bag boys (by the way, hilarious ending message).

I'm not huge on 'Simpson Safari' but if there a couple of things I can give it it's that not only does it look good visually but it is pretty funny overall with it's many times goofy and absurd jokes (and even something as simple as Homer briefly chuckling about the monkey pictured on the cracker box is hilarious; that bit almost felt like something from the classic seasons, almost Oakley & Weinstein-like).

You're right, that little gag is very funny. I always like that kind of little joke about the simple-minded side of Homer. Like him more amused by the dog with a puffy tail than by his double in Fear of Flying.

Worst User Ever

I'd prefer Saddlesore Galactica than Homer vs. Dignity

Blog Entries

Saddlesore Galactica is one of the best of season 11.

12. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Monty, Sam

Banned

That '90s Show doesn't deserve nearly half the hate it gets.

Banned

We need a "Problem With Hari" documentary.

^I'd watch that.
    Get woke, go broke

Blog Entries

bet u would nitsy

Junior Camper

"Old Money" is a great episode, but I dont find many of the jokes funny, aside from Bart talking about what he wanted with the money ("And I want the baseball card with the guy flipping the bird") and "The Hat McKinley was Shot In!". It works for the dramatic moments and the ending.

Professional Teleporter Mícheál's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyDrew View Post
    Correct.
    "I may or may not die young. I haven't decided yet."

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyDrew View Post
    "That 90's Show" doesn't so much anger me as it does simply bore me. The timeline for Homer and Marge's adolescence being shifted honestly never concerned me to the extent where it served as the main issue of the episode: instead, I felt frustrated by the fact that, in comparison to the 234 episodes of OFF actually aired during the 1990s, the episode never harnessed its setting asides from dragging out a few grunge gags and using said 'grunge' theme as a catalyst for yet another homogeneous Jean-era marital (or relationship, I guess?) crisis episode, which leads to the entire episode feeling ultimately trivial. It's far from the absolute worst that the show has ever done (even within season 19), but it definitely baffles me immensely nonetheless.

I don't think the first ever episode of The Simpsons was all that memorable. Probably my least favourite episode of Season 1.

I'm not a fan of How I Wet Your Mother. It's an Inception parody, I get it, but a pretty uninspired one in my opinion. There's some highlights like the Tracey Ullman homage (and Zutroy's cameo haha) but overall there's a lot of botched jokes and the parodic scenes fell flat (the last one in particular). It's pretty much, by the way, an episode where it's necessary to have seen the original stuff to be fully appreciated (and yes, I have seen Inception), while an episode such as 24 minutes doesn't really need it.

I don't think 'The Italian Bob' is all that awful and I see it more as an average post-classic episode.

It's not great by any means but it does have some stuff I like; the premise and much of the story of the family going to Italy and meeting Bob is pretty decent, there are some nice moments of humor here and there & while Bob's wife and kid are very one note and pretty boring, Bob himself is great as usual (and yet another good performance by Kelsey Grammer). I don't see it deserving the magnitude of hate it gets and find that too much fuss is made about it's terribleness (and there are loads of episodes worse than it).
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 11-02-2018 at 01:08 PM.

I honestly wonder if the fandom dislike for "The Italian Bob" is a result of the irritation of Bob's son combined with the bizarre premise and the forced handling of said premise (where the status quo winds up reverting any possible impact the episode could have had), which causes it to stand out against other previous Bob episodes (I'm no fan of "The Great Louse Detective" by any means, but the core of the plot was actually filled with potential by comparison to TIB).

That being said, I actually found myself liking certain areas of the second act of TIB more than I was anticipating - unlike, say, "Day of the Jackanapes" (which indulges in Bob clichés), watching Bob within the confines of his new life is surprisingly kind of interesting (particularly for season 17) despite the lameness of a number of the gags, which makes it all the more frustrating when the episode forces Bob to regress back to his murderous Jean-era persona (and in a particularly contrived manner as well). It's not exactly a good episode, but it's mostly inoffensive with a few promising moments, at least compared to painful material such as "The Man Who Grew Too Much".

Junior Camper Treehouse of Spoopy's Avatar

While I agree the show sucks now, I draw that line A LOT later than most people, mainly after Season 15 (that is to say, Season 16 onwards was the ‘Zombie Simpsons’ era IMO). Also, Season 1 is generally pretty shaky in quality.

The ‘Good Simpsons’ era lasted from Seasons 2-15. Change my mind. Or don’t.

Junior Camper Treehouse of Spoopy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alfred View Post
    I don't think the first ever episode of The Simpsons was all that memorable. Probably my least favourite episode of Season 1.

Blog Entries

Well for a hot take: We could do with another "Bart gets a girlfriend" episode.

Hear me out, kay? Because I partly disagree with myself here. I don't actually remember how many if any have come since Love is a Many Splintered Thing. That said, I'd only be in support of the idea if it took the place of the replacement these eps got, the "Lisa gets a boyfriend" ones. If we don't include Milhouse, Nelson or Ralph since they're not guest characters has anyone new brought anything to the table? I wouldn't be surprised if the designers were given some sort of demand to make them perfect looking, which is a very restrictive target and as a result they blend into some sort of mush of overly modern looking boys that I'm pretty sure the Corey magazines and such of the early seasons was poking fun at. And most of the plots seem to follow the exact same beats too, handsome boy who every girl crushes on arrives, is smitten with Lisa because plot, seems perfect, later turns out to have one flaw which means they're not good enough for Lisa. Probably the only one done well was Hugh Parkfield, as they started off not getting along and the conflict was building up the entire episode with Lisa's family making his visit hellish and he ultimately didn't understand her instead of "oh suddenly he's only 95% perfect now, not good enough." That and Lisa's Wedding didn't make Lisa into Bella Swan by having every single woman around him be instantly smitten but Lisa's ~the one~.

I mean... say what you want about the characters from the "Bart gets a girlfriend" episodes but with a few exceptions they at least seem to have some interesting points to their design or some imperfections like Nikki's weird shaped eyes, her and Jenny's visible eyebrows (which I guess is on some of the Lisa interests but it's not as standard on a female character), Gina's big nose and even Jessica, the one with the most intentional "pretty" design has some pretty big ears. They're at least given some wiggle room in design like that. And same goes for personalities, hell half of them are complete headcases in some way or another. Again some are better than others but there's at least a bit of variety in them unlike with Lisa's interests. And considering how the male characters are generally much more popular overall, there's probably some strong reasons why Laura, Jessica, Greta and even Nikki have their fans but nobody cares about any of the Lisa-boyfriends like... the Hoverboard kid? That one played by Ed Sheeran or whoever he is? Knockoff Edward Cullen?

So... yeah, it'd probably be better to keep these kinds of plots to a minimum on both sides but if they have to keep doing one, might as well use Bart. At least there's some chance of coming out with a character that doesn't add to the pile of interchangeable "millennial" kids...

“Pretension” by Calvin Klein ataeaf's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yeah, it’s telling that Lisa’s roommate from Mr. Lisa’s Opus who plays clarinet, who only appears for about a minute, is more memorable and interesting than the many interchangeable one-time boyfriends of Lisa.

ah (as in apple)-tuh-eef

Blog Entries

Well, that’s debatable. But even if she is more memorable to most, it’s probably because that’s the closest the show’s ever come to having a main character in a homosexual relationship.

Chatting Simpsons Since '93 Brad Lascelle's Avatar

Not that I disagree with any of the points Venomrabbit raised but he DID forget about Luca$.
    He was hardly depicted as cute or perfect. That said, he was also hardly a love interest.

And yes, Valerie in Mr. Lisa's Opus was indeed awesome and made an immediate impression. But that speaks largely to Al Jean's still ever-present talent as a writer.

As for more Bart gets a girlfriend eps... well, is there a trope or angle with those that HASN'T been done yet? Because I think that well may be tapped.

Outside of Nikki... whom I will always go to bat for as a relationship that "made sense" (she dug his art, he dug her skateboarding, they had genuine chemistry, Sarah Silverman is a legit great vocal talent).
    SEASON 32 RANKINGS
    Undercover Burns - 3/5 / I, Carumbus - ?/5 / Now Museum, Now You Don't - ?/5
    THOH XXXI = Toy Gory - ?/5 / Into the Homerverse - ?/5 / Be Kind, Rewind - ?/5

Even though I love those seasons, the Jean-Reiss seasons are nevertheless my least favorite among the golden age. I don't find the storylines to be quite as inventive as those of the Mirkin and Oakley-Weinstein eras.

Handsome-Devil Extraordinai Urath28's Avatar

Homer's Odyssey > Last Exit

(I need to read through this thread)

Thread Information