Page 52 of 69 FirstFirst ... 2424344454647484950515253545556575859606162 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,560 of 2047

Thread: Very unpopular opinions.

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Actually, now that you bring it up, I do have a potentially very unpopular opinion regarding "Homer vs. Dignity". I guess it depends on how the perception of that one's changed over the years, and whether it's also looked upon a bit more favourably along with the rest of the Scully era now, but it never bothered me as much as it did other people. I get why it did, but I always saw it a little differently.

Specifically, the infamous "panda rape" scene. Without wanting to be too coarse or graphic, I never interpreted that scene as Homer actually being...well, penetrated by the panda. I always presumed the male panda simply humped the suit, resulting in a...situation that was still gross, but not as dark as many interpreted it to be. As such, I thought it worked in terms of having Homer truly hit rock bottom in the way he was being treated by Mr Burns, and sacrificing his dignity in order to make extra money. Still arguably a step too far, and I get why people don't like it, but I don't think it was meant to be quite as dark as it came across to a lot of people.

I don't think it's a great scene or episode by any stretch of the imagination, and it invites a darker interpretation. I never saw them pushing the envelope that far, though. Post-revival Family Guy definitely would, but ultimately, I think even Scully Simpsons wouldn't.
    A little less Generic than before.

The Simpsons are still a great series, the best in history, IMO.

when they are over, a part of me will be sad, but well ... We have 29 seasons to see!

And the ones that remain!

Long live The Simpsons!

Always late to the party Whyyoubig's Avatar

I have an unpopular opinion to share. The animation of season 1 isn’t that bad for me, or rather it doesn’t negatively affect my enjoyment of the season, in fact it’s sometimes amusing to watch.
    Favorite/least favorite by season (not counting clip shows)
    Season 1: Life on the Fast Lane/Some Enchanted Evening Season 2: Bart the Daredevil/Old Money Season 3: Bart the Lover/Dog of Death Season 4: Last Exit to Springfield/Marge in Chains Season 5: Cape Feare/Bart Gets an Elephant Season 6: Homer the Great/Fear of Flying Season 7: Mother Simpson/Homerpalooza Season 8: You Only Move Twice/Simpsoncalifragilisticexpiala(D’oh)cious Season 9: The City of New York Vs Homer Simpson/Lisa the Skeptic Season 10: Lisa Gets an A/Homer Simpson in: Kidney Trouble Season 11: Behind the Laughter/It’s a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad Marge Season 12: Trilogy of Error/Homer Vs Dignity Season 13: I Am Furious (Yellow)/The Frying Game Season 14: Moe Baby Blues/Barting Over Season 15: Simple Simpson/Bart-Mangled Banner Season 16: Don’t Fear the Roofer/On a Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister Season 17: The Seemingly Never-Ending Story/Bonfire of the Manatees Season 18: 24 Minutes/The Boys of Bummer Season 19: Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind/That 90’s Show Season 20: Gone Maggie Gone/In the Name of the Grandfather Season 21: The Bob Next Door/The Greatest Story Ever D’ohed Season 22: Angry Dad: The Movie/Elementary School Musical Season 23: Holidays of Future Passed/Lisa Goes Gaga Season 24: I haven’t seen this season Season 25: Brick Like Me/Days of Future Future Season 26: Simpsorama/The Musk Who Fell to Earth Season 27: Halloween of Horror/Every Man’s Dream Season 28: 22 For 30/Kamp Krustier Season 29: Gone Boy/The Old Blue Mayor She Ain’t What She Used to Be Season 30: TBD when 11 episodes have aired/TBD when 11 episodes have aired

Needs attention Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think that’s a pretty popular opinion, actually. People call the season 1 animation “charming.”
    Favorite and least favorite by season
    1. Life on the Fast Lane Homer’s Night Out 2. Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3. Homer at the Bat Like Father, Like Clown 4. Brother From the Same Planet Krusty Gets Kancelled 5. Cape Feare Lady Bouvier’s Lover 6. Homer Badman Another Simpsons Clip Show 7. King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8. Homer’s Enemy The Simpsons Spin-Off Showcase 9. Bart Carny The Trouble With Trillions 10. Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: “Kidney Trouble” 11. Guess Who’s Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12. HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13. Tales From the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14. The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15. I, (Annoyed Grunt)-bot Bart-Mangled Banner 16. A Star is Torn On a Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister 17. My Fair Laddy Bonfire of the Manatees 18. The Haw-Hawed Couple You Kent Always Say What You Want 19. Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind All About Lisa 20. Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21. The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22. Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23. The Falcon and the D’ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24. Hardly Kirk-ing Moonshine River 25. The War of Art What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police Let’s Go Fly a Coot 27. Halloween of Horror Lisa With an ‘S’ 28. There Will Be Buds Moho House 29. Springfield Splendor Throw Grampa From the Dane 30. Daddicus Finch I Want You (She’s So Heavy) 31. Thanksgiving of Horror Warrin’ Priests (Part Two)

My unpopular opinion is that Holidays of Future Passed is overrated. This episode was as good as Future Drama and only slightly better than Bart to the Future. Some of the jokes felt way to futuristic, like it was set in Futurama times. And Maggie’s silence in the episode was not funny, it was way more funny in Lisa’s Wedding, one of my favourite episodes. It’s not a bad episode, it’s just not good either. It’s “meh”.
    Last edited by GaryPotato12; 07-14-2018 at 07:45 PM.

There is exceptional thematic substance and character work in Holidays of Future Passed though. More so, I dare say, than every other episode post season 10. It's not particularly funny, but that doesn't stop it from being the greatest episode of the last 20 years. It would have been a worthy series finale.

Blog Entries

Hey count me in with the crowd that likes season 1's style, it's particularly expressive.
    Though I might like 2's or 3/4's better. 2 is a bit more tidied up and... a lot of season 3/4, especially 3, comes off as cuter. Also love the use of colours and stuff, like in Like Father Like Clown, especially the gloomy moments.

I'm not sure if I can say whether or not Future-Passed was objectively good or not, but I really didn't care much for it. Granted unlike any future ep other than Lisa's Wedding and Barthood it at least seemed to be trying. So credit where it's due, it's still probably a personal 3rd best.

Birthplace of the Flaming Moe Welcome to Moe's's Avatar

As mentioned previously, I also love the first season and it's animation, I think my unpopular opinion could possibly be that season one is one of the best seasons. For different reasons than the usual reasons for favourite within the established seasons but the writing and episodes is so good, even if it was in it's early stages the way they introduced characters in each episode and covered all angles was really good.

'"Uh, Hugh Jass! D'oh, somebody check the men's room for a Hugh Jass"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Financial Panther View Post
    I think that’s a pretty popular opinion, actually. People call the season 1 animation “charming.”
    the animation from s1-s5ish is a lot more lively then anything that came after it so yea.

With love

Hello everyone.

As for me, the animation isn't an issue. What is though is how whole characters are erased sometimes in order to produce a joke. The humour in the last seasons seems mostly forced due to that (I suppose it's been said a lot). I also don't like new Marge as she is shown in the S29EP6 or S20EP12. I was surprised at Ned drawing out apologies from Homer in S26EP21 (which was accurate in logical sense but it ruined Flanders' holier than thou attitude. IMHO it'd be funnier if Ned proceeded reacting like everything was fine and Homer eventually snapped because of how patient Ned was, then tried to hurt him hard until crossing the line and realising his mistake — like old Homer was most likely to do). There are many episodes where characters were changed the same way, but I'm generally upset with Marge and Ned as they have had been the calmest and most tolerant people (in their own ways) what made their rare anger or dumb decisions unique. It's my personal point of view, anyway. I still can watch last seasons and find them amusing, except Lisa Goes Gaga episode. That made me cringe a lot for some reason.

Blog Entries

Are you talking about people violating their characterization for the sake of a joke? That doesn’t bother me much. If their character changes for an entire episode for no real reason, that would be a problem, but for a joke that only lasts a few seconds, I’m fine with it. For example, Lisa’s “Who needs college, mom? We’re trillionaires! Let’s buy dune buggies!” is pretty funny to me because Lisa rarely acts like that, and it doesn’t bother me because I think part of the joke is that that isn’t her character.

Professional Teleporter Mícheál's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I agree with @Financial Panther .

It can be made to be quite funny to have a character say something outside of what they usually are, because it's so unexpected, it can come across as a funny line.

"I may or may not die young. I haven't decided yet."

13. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Beggs

Blog Entries

Plot holes do not exist.

“Pretension” by Calvin Klein ataeaf's Avatar
    Blog Entries

At this point, the consensus seems to be that Season 13 is where the show truly went downhill.
    ah (as in apple)-tuh-eef

Blog Entries

Where do you see that consensus?

There's no way that's the consensus. On the contrary, season 13 saw a gradual upswing in quality that peaked during season 15 and 16.

I gotta say that I find '22 For 30' to be a fairly mediocre episode. It gets quite a bit of praise for being one of season 28's best but I just can't see the greatness so to me it's not more than an okay episode at best; it was kinda dull and the conflict between Bart & Homer felt tacked on & the only thing I really cared for was the parts with Fat Tony and the mob (which were the highlights).
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 09-01-2018 at 05:50 AM.

Deep Frier of Shirts BlueRibbonCommittee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Financial Panther View Post
    For example, Lisa’s “Who needs college, mom? We’re trillionaires! Let’s buy dune buggies!” is pretty funny to me because Lisa rarely acts like that, and it doesn’t bother me because I think part of the joke is that that isn’t her character.
    I always thought it was the fact that Lisa is still a little kid on the inside (especially at that point in the series) plus she probably thinks that college is the next step toward being rich, but if they are rich, who cares?

Anyway:

In "Don't Fear the Roofer", I'm honestly bothered more by the bartender's explanation of how he can't see Ray than the Stephen Hawking bit. The latter isn't supposed to make sense at all, but the former seemed a bit more grounded but still doesn't make sense. If he couldn't see Ray to the point of not even believing he existed, who ordered those nachos?

Have Brain, Will Travel Wile E. the Brain's Avatar

I don't like 22 for 30 neither. Too much exagerated and pretty unfunny to me, except some gags, from Milhouse especially. And yeah, one of those episodes where the conflict and the fights between Bart and Homer take a disturbing way to me.

Junior Camper

I'd love to see Bart beat the shit out of Homer one time and completely retire the strangling "joke" once and for all. God knows he deserves it. I'm watching the Hockey episode right now and just want someone to slap the Hell out of him, because frankly it's been a long time coming.

Blog Entries

I’m not necessarily for retiring the strangling joke; I really don’t have a problem with it as long as it isn’t treated seriously. When it is, it becomes more uncomfortable. But if they did retire it, I don’t think Bart beating up Homer is the right way to go about it at all. They should have a good relationship. There was a fairly recent episode where Homer said “You know boy, I don’t think I can strangle you anymore.” If they wanted to end it with that, it would’ve been a lot better than a Bart vs. Homer bloodbath.

seems weird and scary GlitterCat's Avatar

If you want to see a cartoon family beat the crap out of each other go watch family Guy.

I am by no means a fan of the strangling gag. At best it is simply an aspect of the show that I really don't enjoy and just find it to be genuinely unfunny. At its worst, like when Bart is actually hurt by Homer's actions and thus it becomes more realistic and abusive, it is cruel and uncomfortable to watch. I am all for Homer getting his comeuppance, I just feel as though it shouldn't come from Bart. It wouldn't really make sense for a ten year old to fight his much larger father and be able to give him a taste of his own medicine. In my opinion, it would be nice for an adult in the series to occasionally defend Bart from both his father and any other individual intending to do harm to the boy. That, of course, would require an adult to actually like Bart though. There really aren't many good influences in Bart's life aside from his mother and Flanders, which is a shame because some kindness and compassion towards Bart would likely greatly improve his attitude and behavior, and maybe Homer would not even feel the need to strangle his son if this were true (despite the fact that Bart's offenses resulting in getting strangled are often minuscule at best.)

Junior Camper

Quote Originally Posted by Mikesuper26 View Post
    I am by no means a fan of the strangling gag. At best it is simply an aspect of the show that I really don't enjoy and just find it to be genuinely unfunny. At its worst, like when Bart is actually hurt by Homer's actions and thus it becomes more realistic and abusive, it is cruel and uncomfortable to watch. I am all for Homer getting his comeuppance, I just feel as though it shouldn't come from Bart. It wouldn't really make sense for a ten year old to fight his much larger father and be able to give him a taste of his own medicine. In my opinion, it would be nice for an adult in the series to occasionally defend Bart from both his father and any other individual intending to do harm to the boy. That, of course, would require an adult to actually like Bart though. There really aren't many good influences in Bart's life aside from his mother and Flanders, which is a shame because some kindness and compassion towards Bart would likely greatly improve his attitude and behavior, and maybe Homer would not even feel the need to strangle his son if this were true (despite the fact that Bart's offenses resulting in getting strangled are often minuscule at best.)
    Here's the thing, Homer doesn't strangle Bart because he misbehaves. Considering what Homer does to Flander regularly, he clearly doesn't give a shit about right and wrong, or being a decent member of society. Given how often Homer tells his kids that they ruined his life, and how bitter he is about having a family, and how he clearly loves Lisa more, the whole strangling issue takes on a far darker tone.
    But the show doesn't take this seriously. When Homer and Marge have marriage crisis #643? They all but cover themselves in ashes and weep about how pure and good their love is. When Homer abuses his kid? Oh, it's just a comedy, stop taking it so seriously!

When I say I want Bart to beat the crap out of Homer, I'm not entirely joking. I want the characters to feel like real people. I want this whacky modern era to go die in a hole so there can be real emotion to the show again and real characterization which carries over from episode to episode. Because at the moment it feels like they hide behind comedy to excuse the characters being irredeemable monsters who no longer resemble their original forms.

Quote Originally Posted by GlitterCat View Post
    If you want to see a cartoon family beat the crap out of each other go watch family Guy.
    Family Guy made fun of Michael J. Fox having Parkinsons Disease. I don't care about a single thing they do. They defaulted on the right to attempt anything but gutter humour at that point.
    Last edited by Commodus; 09-02-2018 at 08:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Commodus View Post
    Here's the thing, Homer doesn't strangle Bart because he misbehaves. Considering what Homer does to Flander regularly, he clearly doesn't give a shit about right and wrong, or being a decent member of society. Given how often Homer tells his kids that they ruined his life, and how bitter he is about having a family, and how he clearly loves Lisa more, the whole strangling issue takes on a far darker tone.
    But the show doesn't take this seriously. When Homer and Marge have marriage crisis #643? They all but cover themselves in ashes and weep about how pure and good their love is. When Homer abuses his kid? Oh, it's just a comedy, stop taking it so seriously!

When I say I want Bart to beat the crap out of Homer, I'm not entirely joking. I want the characters to feel like real people. I want this whacky modern era to go die in a hole so there can be real emotion to the show again and real characterization which carries over from episode to episode. Because at the moment it feels like they hide behind comedy to excuse the characters being irredeemable monsters who no longer resemble their original forms.
    I agree with you regarding Homer strangling Bart. In the early seasons, Bart would misbehave, and Homer would be so incensed in the heat of the moment that he would strangle Bart as a crime of passion. That was the supposed humor was in the gag. Now, more often then not, Bart makes a harmless joke or in some cases does nothing at all, and then he gets strangled. Or, in some cases, Homer premeditates the strangling, such as in "Exit Through the Kwik-E-Mart" where Homer strangles Bart in his sleep. I don't think parodying child abuse is funny...and Homer does even worse to Bart besides just strangling him.

My point in the above post was simply that it wouldn't make sense for a ten year old to beat up his far older and bigger father. In some futuristic episodes such as "Mr. Lisa's Opus," older Bart does fight back against his father, which is refreshing to see honestly. But as for the current timeline of the show, I just don't feel as though it would be in Bart's character to fight back against his father simply because he isn't strong enough to do it, thus making it unrealistic. That is why I wish someone else would give Homer a taste of his own medicine (and I don't count "Love is Many a Strangled Thing" to be Homer learning his lesson.)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Diversity Pumpkin View Post
    When you get over the initial canonical issues
    The Simpsons has never really been about building a canon. If you insist on having some sort of canonized version of events, then it would make just as much sense to say that episodes that do not follow canon take place as Elseworlds or What If stories.

Interestingly, the one canonical thing that The Simpsons has maintained in every episode is the age of all of their characters, yet, people want this to change. Personally, I think when it comes to entertainment people would be a lot happier if they just stuck with their own "head canon" version of events.

Blog Entries

I like the characters sticking with their present ages. The occasional future episode is fine, but aging the characters would just be too weird. I don’t think I’d like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wile E. the Brain View Post
    I don't like 22 for 30 neither. Too much exagerated and pretty unfunny to me, except some gags, from Milhouse especially. And yeah, one of those episodes where the conflict and the fights between Bart and Homer take a disturbing way to me.
    Now when I think of it the conflict/fight they had got pretty unpleasant on top of feeling forced so yeah, not a fan (though I wouldn't say it was a bad episode as it never did get really awful and had it's share of good moments).

Deep Frier of Shirts BlueRibbonCommittee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think it's time for the strangling gag to go. There hasn't been a single time I laughed at it since "A Tale of Two Springfields" (does that count as Bart beating up Homer?) and even looking back it's a bit uncomfortable to see.

It has run its course, and it's a relic of a time where it was handled a bit better (though that's not to say that no one ever had a problem with it, of course). To that end, I'd suggest quietly retiring it. I don't think it needs to be addressed in-universe - when they tried to do that, I think the consensus was that the episode wasn't good at all - so it's just one of those things they could just drop and leave in the past.

Thread Information