Page 46 of 63 FirstFirst ... 363738394041424344454647484950515253545556 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,380 of 1886

Thread: Very unpopular opinions.

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

6th best thing to do to gel. Smear-Gel's Avatar

I think The Principal And The Pauper is hated more for what it does rather than how good or bad it was in isolation. I saw it and thought it was fine, humour wise.

I think the same can be said for That 90's Show, where most of the hate I saw came from how it threw away continuity for jokes, rather than whether those jokes were good or bad. I saw it in one of those FFX marathons before knowing what episode it was and found it okay enough
    Season 27 Ratings: Every Man's Dream - 5/10 | Cue Detective - 9/10 | Puffless - 7/10 | Halloween of Horror - 10/10 | Treehouse of Horror XXV - 7/10 | Friend with Benefit - 7/10 | Lisa with an S - needs rewatch | Barthood - 10/10 will watch again | The Girl Code - 9/10 | Teenage Mutant Milk-Caused Hurdles - 7/10 | Much Apu About Something - 8/10 | Love Is in the Air: needs rewatch | Gal of Constant Sorrow: 8/10 | Lisa the Veterenarian: 7/10 | The Marge-ian Chronicles - 9/10 | The Burns Cage - 8/10 all credibility lost | How Lisa Got Her Marge Back - 6/10 | Fland Canyon - 8/10 | To Courier with Love - 9/10 | Simprovised - 7/10 | Orange Is the New Yellow - 8/10

Bob's Burgers Season Rankings: 3>6>5=4=2>1
    Fairly Oddparents Season Rankings: 4>3>6>8>2=10 (so far)>1>0>7>5>9

But how "isolated" can an episode really be? I agree that to completely dismiss an episode because of what it is (without regard to jokes, etc.) is probably not really fair, but continuity is part of the episode too and you can't completely separate it from the episode. So I understand why people judge those episodes harshly. Just as long as it's not the only factor you're looking at.
    Get woke, go broke

Blog Entries

I didn't know simpsoncalifragilisticexpiala(annoyed grunt)cious wasn't a popular episode. Granted, it does have some of the issues that would plague the show in the later seasons: characters being written out of character to make a story "work" (Lisa acting like a lazy slob), characters randomly showing up in scenes that don't seem to make sense (Barney getting drunk with Sherry Bobbins), and the Simpsons portrayed as a broken family on the verge of falling apart. There were still some good jokes though, and I like the dark twist on "magical nanny who comes to fix a family" with Sherry Bobbins, and the Simpsons are still ultimately a loving family that accept their faults and are happy with who they are. It's not a great episode, but it's still a good one.

The Secrer War of Lisa Simpson, while not exactly bad, isn't really that great. It comes off like poor man's copy of Summer of 4 ft 2, only with a pretty weak explanation for Lisa being in military school (Lisa loves all the poetry they do...that we never see again in the episode). Also, while Summer was about Lisa trying to make friends, im not sure Secret War was supposed to be about, just Lisa going through wacky misadventures in military school, I guess. There a couple of decent jokes, but it's a pretty forgetable episode overall for me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Smear-Gel View Post
    I think The Principal And The Pauper is hated more for what it does rather than how good or bad it was in isolation. I saw it and thought it was fine, humour wise.
    i kinda learned to treat the twist and the episode as a "what if?" kind of situation so it doesn't ruin an otherwise well structured and well executed episode. it's fine.

I've never found a problem with The Secret War Of Lisa Simpson. Sure it's dark at times but I enjoy it every time I see it. The way Bart finally changes at the end to help Lisa cross the rope. I also enjoy how Bart is at the very end of the episode. Sure there are times where Lisa is on her own and the bullying of the other cadets can be a bit OTT but I find that adds to the overall resolution and it also shows just how much happier Lisa can be in the status quo of being at the school she claims isn't challenging her anymore.

6. Thumbs Up To This Post by: pax

Ill-Mannered Sack of Crap LosTickaToeRest's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It was offputting at first but I actually don't really care about the continuity issues in That 90s Show. It still completely blows and lacks a single redeeming quality, but it has nothing to do with the retcon.
    Earth. Atomizer. Let's go.

Deep Frier of Shirts BlueRibbonCommittee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think the other thing to hate about Simpsoncalifragilistic that would plague later seasons are more blatant surreal things (flying on an umbrella) as well as how blatantly obvious the parody was. I have no problems with it, but then again I never had any problems with the Loch Ness Monster or jockey elves or blatant parodies like TransClownOMorphs or Funtendo Zii anyway.

Joe Swanson ©tormented OldSchoolerSimpsons's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vintage pax View Post
    i kinda learned to treat the twist and the episode as a "what if?" kind of situation so it doesn't ruin an otherwise well structured and well executed episode. it's fine.
    I think I've seen this post written the exact same way, at least thrice! Am I getting déjà vu???
    Quote Originally Posted by scully apologist;bt39949
    "KONY 2012"

Blog Entries

interesting. maybe, maybe not.

6th best thing to do to gel. Smear-Gel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nitsy View Post
    But how "isolated" can an episode really be? I agree that to completely dismiss an episode because of what it is (without regard to jokes, etc.) is probably not really fair, but continuity is part of the episode too and you can't completely separate it from the episode. So I understand why people judge those episodes harshly. Just as long as it's not the only factor you're looking at.
    Well for me, I never grew up watching the show and am not watching it consecutively, so any episode I'm seeing is divorced from stuff like it being the most recent development or how people felt about the show at the time. Hell, when I first saw That 90's Show, I didnt even know it was that until about halfway into it. So I had a much easier time separating the two things.

Which reminds me, I suppose this would fit in this thread but I really dont care about major continuity errors based on time, because the nature of the show means it's all a big sliding mess anyways.

The things that do irk me are smaller canonity things, like Lisa learning gymnastics or Marge taking up bodybuilding. I wouldnt want to see say, Lisa being super uncoordinated after learning gymnastics.

Quote Originally Posted by vintage pax View Post
    I think it's only referenced once?

Blog Entries

it is, so it doesn't ruin any continuity really because it was just kind of a nod to it.

Blog Entries

I don't care all that much about continuity either. I did post a lot in that thread, but most of it was just me doing it for fun. I mean, I don't really care if Homer knew Smithers in high school when previously he acted as though they'd just met, or if Marge knew Cookie Kwan as a child, or if Homer wanted to call Bart "Barf Simpson" to Marge's chagrin when previously Marge was the one suggesting names that Homer thought would make Bart a bully target. It's always been a loose show to me, and sometimes a lack of continuity helps it. After all, it's one of the things that separated it from other sitcoms as well. Only these errors bother me...

- That '90s Show. I know I just said that changing the past a bit doesn't bother me, but this just felt too major to me.
    - Homer's Phobia. It's just really uncomfortable with how Homer used to be more accepting (and still would be later on) of gays but suddenly isn't.
    - Lisa unable to remember anything nice Bart did for her in "On A Clear Day I Can't See My Sister". It just made Bart look more and more like a monster.
    - Lisa saying that Sideshow Bob only ever tried to kill Bart in "The Man Who Grew Too Much". Sideshow Bob episodes are usually more grounded than this.

Blog Entries

Well from here it made Bart look less like a monster and Lisa more like an absolute jerkass considering some of those things he's done up to and including saving Lisa from a potentially life-ruining expulsion over those teachers' editions. Most of the time I don't like to fuss about continuity that much unless it's say, completely forgetting certain characters are meant to be smart (lookin' at you Mathlete's Feat). But that moment and the Bob one tend to be examples that seem to specifically call back on continuity just to disregard it.

Blog Entries

While I always complain about whenever the show has bad continuity, the truth is, the only times it really annoys me is when their intentionally using continuity to try and reference something and get it completely wrong, like Bart claiming he created Angry Dad in the 90's (when he actually did it in the 2000's and also, since the sequel to that episode took place in 2011, that would mean Bart had to be older then 10) or Smithers Sr. showing up in the episode with Homer's dog (even though he should be dead at that point and looks even older then when he died), or Homer apparently knowing Ned since before he married Marge. What's the point of the bringing up continuity if your going to get it wrong? All it does is make the writers look like idiots.

But yeah, the worst for me are That 90's Show, On A Clear Day, I Can't See My Sister, and The Man Who Grew Too Much. The first was nothing more then cheap, unfunny jokes about 90's pop culture with an awful story about Marge being an asshole to Homer (and Abe has a laser tag warehouse? What?). The second, not only because it came off like the writers were desperately keep trying to push the "Bart is a completely sociopath with no redeeming qualities" angle, but also became it came off like the writers were doing it to force you to feel sorry for Lisa, even though all it did was make her come off like a completely ungrateful jerkass who can't even remember any of the nice things her brother has done for her. But really, the last one was the worst for me, because not only of them forgetting that Bob has tried to kill the rest of the family before, but they also reference him losing his face from the last Bob episode. I mean, what? They can remember what happened in the last Bob episode, but the not the two before it?

Blog Entries

past a particular point you just have to disregard any kind of continuity, because so much starts to contradict because the writers don't really care if it does. personally, i'd say s9 is the last season where i put anything into my headcanon. anything else after is a bad spinoff show (yeah, i'm one of those guys)

"Modern Simpsons" defender simpsonsbart's Avatar

The fact that Lisa claims that the only Simpson Bob wants to kill is Bart didn't bother me: There are NO references to The Italian Bob and Funerals for a fiend. I can't recall any reference to both episodes, really... So they're both non-canon to me.
    "You're perfect! In fact, you're better than perfect! Next to you, perfection is crap!"

It was said in a 1997 episode. But if it were said in a recent episode (from the mid 2000s to for now), I'd take it as irony.

I don't believe in modern Simpsons nor golden era: I'm an atheist

Don't fear the roofer!

I'm a post-20th century Simpsons episodes defender.

The ones who say "Zombie Simpsons" make me laugh.

I'm a girl but I say #NotMyDoctor anyway.

Blog Entries

Well, it's not like the classic era was immune to continuity errors. I mean, looking at all the past episodes, there's a lot of disambiguity about Homer's hair (did he lose it from the power plant or did he tear it out when he found out Marge was pregnant? And why does he have it while Lisa is conceived sometimes?) as well as when Homer got the job at the power plant. Sometimes, an episode itself would have continuity errors, such as "Hurricane Neddy" (did Bart help Rod and Todd with their rooms or not?) and of course, "Homer's Phobia", but as said before, the latter is the only one that grates on my nerves. I've never seen The Simpsons as a show with strong continuity, even during the classic era.

And yeah, the error in "The Man Who Grew Too Much" bothers me partially because of the face reference, but also the fact that Sideshow Bob episodes have usually been more grounded in continuity in general compared to the rest of the series. It's just a bit disappointing to see it suddenly happen now.

Blog Entries

obviously it's not immune, i just personally think it's easier to canonise what you think should be the version of events that happens.

I don't really mind continuity errors that much since they don't really affect my enjoyment of an episode but Lisa only remembering 2 nice things Bart did is awful because it just makes things way too black and white.

Blog Entries

Exactly. That is probably the worst continuity error in the whole series. They were trying to make you feel like Bart deserved all of his punishment but it really just made me hate Lisa more and more.

There are other moments where it feels like they've rewritten stuff about a character changing, such as in "Lost our Lisa" when Homer says that he always lives life on the edge when Lisa says she'll stop taking risks or "Barting Over" when Lisa says that Homer has done 300 crazy things like this (or 302 as Marge remembers), but those don't really bother me, especially the former.

22. Thumbs Up To This Post by: AlphaOmega

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    like Bart claiming he created Angry Dad in the 90's (when he actually did it in the 2000's and also, since the sequel to that episode took place in 2011, that would mean Bart had to be older then 10)
    When was this? I'm looking at a transcript for Angry Dad: The Movie and years aren't mentioned

Blog Entries

At the beginning of the episode, when the businessman is explaining how the company that owned Angry Dad when out of business, they show a brief flashback of the company working before it falls apart, and on the screen it says that this flashback is taking place in 1999, implying that this is when Bart created Angry Dad and the company started making cartoons of it., or at the very least, around that time.

Blog Entries

Ah, ok (it only scrapes dialogue so no wonder I didn't see it)

Well what can I say... FormulaMoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

My Sister, My Sitter was pretty fucked up imo
    The Simpsons Season 29 Ratings; The Serfsons B- Springfield Splendor B Whistlers Father C THOH XXVIII A-

Seasons Best/Worst: 1. Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire / Homer's Night Out, 2. Lisa's Substitute / Bart gets an "F", 3. Colonel Homer / The Otto Show, 4. Mr. Plow / Krusty gets Kancelled, 5. The Last Temptation of Homer / Deep Space Homer, 6. Homer the Great / Lemon of Troy, 7. Bart Sells His Soul / Much Apu about Nothing, 8. The Itchy & Scratchy & Poochie Show / My Sister, My Sitter, 9. The City of New York vs. Homer / The Principle and the Pauper, 10. Homer to the Max / Sunday, Cruddy Sunday, 11. E-I-E-I-(Annoyed Grunt) / Grift of the Magi, 12. HOMR / Day of the Jackanapes 13. Half-Decent Proposal / Homer the Moe 14. Moe Baby Blues / Strong Arms of the Ma, 15. Fruadcast News / My Big Fat Geek Wedding, 16. Pranksta Rap / Mobile Homer 17. The Girl Who Slept Too Little / The Italian Bob 18. 24 Minutes / Kill Gil, Volumes I & II, 19. Enternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind / Funeral for a Friend, 20. Eeny Teeny Maye Moe / The Burns and the Bees 21. Boy Meets Curl / Thursday with Abie, 22. Homer Scissorhands / How Munched is That Birdie in the Window, 23. Holidays of Future Passed, / Lisa Goes Gaga, 24. The Day the Earth Stood Cool / Gone Abie Gone 25. Brick Like Me / The Yellow Badge of Cowardge, 26. I Won't Be Home for Christmas / The Man Who Came to Be Dinner, 27. Halloween of Horror / Every Mans Dream, 28. A Fathers Watch / Dad Behavior

Blog Entries

Here's a doozy...

NONE of Matt Selman's episodes in S27 or 28 have been good, except the Girl Code, and that was only decent.
    Halloween of Horror wasn't funny, the emotion was forced, and Lisa was OOC
    Barthood wasn't funny and the bonding with Grandpa made no sense
    The Marg-Ian Chronicles wasn't funny, the plot was a lame ratings trap (Lisa's going to Mars in EIGHT years! How "exciting") and the ending was a cop-out. Near the bottom of S27.
    The Town was unfunny with a stupid plot
    And There Will Be Buds had mediocre humor and a paper-thin plot.

I have no idea why everyone sees him as a godsend.
    Last edited by Egg; 11-14-2016 at 11:55 AM.
    You're a dolt with the IQ of a peabrain that probably loves lowbrow sitcoms like The Big Bang Theory, Frasier and Seinfeld to not grasp the biting satire and wit of the classic 65 (Rugrats).

Well what can I say... FormulaMoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

^NOPE

Halloween of Horror was written by Carolyn Omine? in fact those episodes he was only executive producer which he is for a lot of episodes...
    Last edited by FormulaMoss; 11-14-2016 at 02:21 PM.

29. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Smear-Gel

Blog Entries

I agree that The Town was overrated, but it's the only one I find bad of the bunch. I really liked the rest of them.

Matt Selman's worst episode to me is still "That '90s Show", but I'm sure that's not quite an unpopular opinion.

"Modern Simpsons" defender simpsonsbart's Avatar

Like I said on Twitter, maybe I like characters better when they're "flanderized", with the exception of the "flanderized" Ash Ketchum. The reason why I like the XY Team Rocket trio less than the AG/DP Team Rocket trio is because part of their "flanderization" is gone.

It means that, even if only part of his "flanderization" is gone, I will like Homer's character less than he is nowadays.
    Last edited by simpsonsbart; 01-04-2017 at 08:43 AM.

Blog Entries

Yeah, Flanderization can be a good thing. Take Ed, Edd, 'n' Eddy or King of the Hill for example, or, heck, even the Groening/Brooks/Simon era of The Simpsons. In those cases, some find early incarnations of the characters to be a little bland, where later episodes fleshed them out (I hear that's the case with Parks and Recreation too). Some claim it's the whole appeal of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

The only "Flanderized" part of Ash that I didn't like was, of course, BW, which hit many Reset buttons (thinking he can win a Gym match with only Palpitoad, when even though he hit dumb luck against Mandi in the Indigo League, he had two others waiting on standby in case this strategy fails... or thinking that Cottonnee was trying to find "a good buddy" when he knew his own Butterfree wanted a mate).

In the case of The Simpsons, I can see why people hate some Flanderizations though. The one I agree with most is Moe (who surprisingly isn't brought up as much as the others) who started out, while still lonely and depressed, he at least cared about his friends (remember when his catch phrase was "What's a-matta, Homer?") who later went on to pointing guns at his customers and ignoring them to count radishes, and worse, started stalking women (especially Marge) and is constantly suicidal.

The ones I agree with least are Nelson and Otto. In Nelson's case, I feel like he's actually developed as a character, going from being a one-note bully who wanted to kill Bart and throw him in trash cans to a two-dimensional character with a vulnerable side who still beats up on people anyway. (I guess that may be due to Jimbo, Dolph, and Kearney taking the role of one-note bully.) For Otto, many just claim that there's too many weed jokes made about him, but that never bothered me. I think the implication was that he was always supposed to be a stoner, they just couldn't show it in the early '90s due to S&P. He barely seems any different to me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BlueRibbonCommittee View Post
    Yeah, Flanderization can be a good thing. Take Ed, Edd, 'n' Eddy or King of the Hill for example, or, heck, even the Groening/Brooks/Simon era of The Simpsons. In those cases, some find early incarnations of the characters to be a little bland, where later episodes fleshed them out (I hear that's the case with Parks and Recreation too). Some claim it's the whole appeal of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.
    I feel like you're confusing flanderization with character development. I mean obviously it's a good thing that the characters were fleshed out from their earliest incarnations (which happens with most shows anyway) but I'm fairly sure flanderization basically just means to devolve a character by turning them one dimensional. idk.

Thread Information