Page 10 of 62 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192060 ... LastLast

Thread: Very unpopular opinions.

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Financial Panther View Post
    It's not awful, but it's still a fairly poor episode. A Totally Fun Thing...is much worse.

I'm not your friend-o Cartoonnetwork's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm terribly torn on A Totally Fun Thing... I don't know what grade it deserves.

To me the 'saccharine ending' was pretty simmilar to Futurama or even South Park (which doesn't make saccharine endings, but it includes morals sometimes), in the sense that they can go to all sort of wacky things but they still keep somewhat focused about the point of the story or the 'emotional core' of it (in Futurama).

I think that was a sign of good writing.

However I didn't like the last part of the story too much cause it was too over the top, not only in the sense that it was surreal or ilogical, but also the humor concerning the Mad-Max transformation of the cruise was very unsubtle.

In some ways it even feels like The Simpsons Movie, which I think it felt very energetic, funny and well directed sometimes, but other times it looked either too saccharine sweet or too unsubtle and/or mean spirited in its jokes.

I thought the first act was fantastic, and the direction of the episode was much better than usual. The montage was actually well done and meant something, it was kind of experimental in visual terms.

I just think the whole idea of Bart thinking a cruise would save him from his rutine was kind of weird, cause a cruise doesn't seem to be the kind of thing that Bart would like. It would have probably be better if Marge and Homer had forced him to go to the vacation with them and then he has discovered how cool it was once he was there.

And then, the idea of him making a prank so he wouldn't ever come back is not bad, but maybe it should have been a little more elaborate, it just didn't seem a very complex plan. I can believe people being a little more stupid in OFF universe than they are in real life, but this seemed a little too much. It would have felt normal in South Park, though.
    My Simpsons homage!

http://elblogderg.blogspot.com

Blog Entries

1. I mostly agree with the stuff here about ATFT..., although despite the various lamenesses, I still think everything Bart does in that episode is appropriately ten-year-old. To think that a simple holiday will actually fix everything, to have this unimaginative plan to extend the holiday forever, and being rebellious enough to carry it out - I can see why some people think that at its core, A Totally Fun Thing... was not a bad episode idea. It has a surreal element that actually pleased me as a childhood fan of the show, because my logic probably wasn't far off the content of this episode when I used to watch every day. I like this episode even though I understand why it gets so much hate. To me it just came across like the slightly screwed-up summer holiday specials some shows do. It helps that I've completely stopped taking the new episodes seriously. I love ATFT for everything it tried to be at this point.

2. I don't know how unpopular this one is really, but a lot of people seem not to like Lisa's episodes because they come across like PSAs for equality and education or something.
    I just... don't get how that's a bad thing. As a child I felt very included because the show covered topics like vegetarianism, Buddhism and conflicts of morals (instilled into me by school). So yeah, I actually love Lisa's episodes (especially the older ones) and her character, while I can see that most moral-pushing spokescharacters (e.g. Brian from Family Guy) are an irritation at times. (FYI I have an equal level of love for Bart's storylines, but they don't get complained about as much.)

3. I like Homer in Season 1. Not so much by the standard of Homer throughout the series, but in its own right I find the first season utterly charming, and especially Homer as the workaday man and not a complete numbskull all the time.
    "Because you watched House, we think you'll enjoy... Fuller House."

Party time... excellent...

Nature's Cruelest Mistake Infinity183's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Food Blog View Post
    3. I like Homer in Season 1. Not so much by the standard of Homer throughout the series, but in its own right I find the first season utterly charming, and especially Homer as the workaday man and not a complete numbskull all the time.
    Yeah, I really like Homer in the first two seasons as well. He's mostly still as dopey as ever, but the fact that he's just a little more level-headed and emotional makes him far more genuine and thus easier to connect with. This is already no longer the case by Season 5.
    Last edited by Infinity183; 12-08-2012 at 03:32 PM.
    My favorite and least favorite episodes from each season:
    S1 - Krusty Gets Busted / The Call of the Simpsons S2 - Lisa's Substitute / The War of the Simpsons S3 - Homer at the Bat / Dog of Death S4 - Marge vs. the Monorail / Whacking Day S5 - Marge on the Lam / Bart Gets an Elephant S6 - Who Shot Mr. Burns?: Part 1 / Another Simpsons Clip Show S7 - Bart on the Road / Homerpalooza S8 - You Only Move Twice / The Twisted World of Marge Simpson S9 - The Joy of Sect / All Singing, All Dancing S10 - Simpsons Bible Stories / Sunday, Cruddy Sunday S11 - Treehouse of Horror X / It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad Marge S12 - Trilogy of Error / Tennis the Menace S13 - Half-Decent Proposal / The Sweetest Apu S14 - Moe Baby Blues / Brake My Wife, Please S15 - The Way We Weren't / Bart-Mangled Banner S16 - Sleeping with the Enemy / Thank God, It's Doomsday S17 - The Girl Who Slept Too Little / Homer's Paternity Coot S18 - 24 Minutes / The Boys of Bummer S19 - Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind / Treehouse of Horror XVIII S20 - Gone, Maggie Gone / Dangerous Curves S21 - O Brother, Where Bart Thou? / The Greatest Story Ever D'ohed S22 - Homer the Father / The Fool Monty S23 - The Book Job / Politically Inept, with Homer Simpson S24 - The Saga of Carl / Love is a Many-Splintered Thing

Blog Entries

Just the fact that people are torn between ATFTTBwhatever instantly makes it one of the most interesting and best episode of recent years.

A World Without Lawyers HerbertMcHoover's Avatar

El Viaje Misterioso del Nuestro Homer is one of my least favorite episodes.

A source of fun Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I don't care for it too much either. It's a little too far-out, and it's really predictable that Marge is going to be Homer's soulmate.
    Favorite and least favorite by season
    1. Krusty Gets Busted There’s No Disgrace Like Home 2. Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3. Homer at the Bat Like Father, Like Clown 4. Brother From the Same Planet Krusty Gets Kancelled 5. Cape Feare Lady Bouvier’s Lover 6. Homer Badman Another Simpsons Clip Show 7. King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8. Homer’s Enemy El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer 9. Bart Carny The Trouble With Trillions 10. Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: “Kidney Trouble” 11. Guess Who’s Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12. HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13. Tales From the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14. The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15. I, Annoyed Grunt)-bot Bart-Mangled Banner 16. A Star is Torn On a Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister 17. My Fair Laddy Bonfire of the Manatees 18. The Haw-Hawed Couple You Kent Always Say What You Want 19. Funeral for a Fiend All About Lisa 20. Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21. The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22. Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23. The Falcon and the D’ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24. Hardly Kirk-ing Moonshine River 25. The War of Art What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police Let’s Go Fly a Coot 27. Halloween of Horror Lisa With an ‘S’ 28. There Will Be Buds Moho House 29. Springfield Splendor Throw Grampa From the Dane

I don't enjoy 'Mr Plow' or 'Homie the Clown' greatly. They are both classic episodes but at the bottom end of the scale for me. Oh and I think 'Kamp Krusty' is one of the worst episodes of the classic era.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Don "Fat Tony" D'Amico View Post
    I don't enjoy 'Mr Plow' or 'Homie the Clown' greatly. They are both classic episodes but at the bottom end of the scale for me. Oh and I think 'Kamp Krusty' is one of the worst episodes of the classic era.
    I can't beileve what I just read. Could you explain why you dislike these particular episodes?
    Quote Originally Posted by pkkao View Post
    I'd reply but I've reached my quota of daily Kid Moe thumbs.

Edit: damn it

10. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Swoony

I did not state that I disliked them.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Don "Fat Tony" D'Amico View Post
    I did not state that I disliked them.
    I know that, but I was just wondering why you didn't enjoy them.

I did enjoy them, just not greatly.

14. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Kid Moe

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow The Hedgehog View Post
    I still think the writers were high when they came up with that episode... I mean seriously, it's a talking rag! How did they even come up with that?
    I feel like this joke must have been made before, but...

Writer: And it grows, to a powerful, emotional climax when Homer has to choose which one of his children will live ... and which one ... will die.
    Al Jean: Pass.
    Writer: *Sigh*
    Al Jean: What else you got?
    Writer: Well, well, there is this one thing. It's about Moe and we travel back in time for some reason.
    Al Jean: I'm listening.
    Writer: Okay, okay, well, you see ... we have Moe, he's got a heartbreaking decision to make about whether his best friend lives ... or dies.
    Al Jean: Meh.
    Writer: His best friend's a talking rag!
    Al Jean: Sold!

ooooooooooooooooooh leprechaun_dan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

When I first heard the description for Rags to Riches, I thought the episode was going to take us back to Moe's past where the rag was symbolic to the moment he opened Moe's Tavern, and we learn a lot about Moe, including who his favourite customer is and what inspired him to open the bar. Turns out I was way off. I mean, a fucking rag... that talks...
    [SIZE=1] Check out my South Park episode ideas in my user notes (Note: It's the fifth and last note): http://www.nohomers.net/usernote.php...ewuser&u=41294

"I got blisters on me fingers!" ~ Ringo Starr (Helter Skelter)

Led Zeppelin IV > Houses of the Holy > Physical Graffiti > Led Zeppelin II > Led Zeppelin I > Led Zeppelin III > Presence > In Through the Out Door > Coda

Blog Entries

Remember that joke made in the recent episode where Moe says, "Heh. Remember when me getting a cell phone was a big deal?". You can't make jokes making fun of possible nonsensical plots when you're actually making them. The line's just awkward since Moe gets a cell phone actually sounds better than Moe gets a rag.

18. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Kid Moe

Release the hounds... Sinister Burns's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Diversity Pumpkin View Post
    I feel like this joke must have been made before, but...

Writer: And it grows, to a powerful, emotional climax when Homer has to choose which one of his children will live ... and which one ... will die.
    Al Jean: Pass.
    Writer: *Sigh*
    Al Jean: What else you got?
    Writer: Well, well, there is this one thing. It's about Moe and we travel back in time for some reason.
    Al Jean: I'm listening.
    Writer: Okay, okay, well, you see ... we have Moe, he's got a heartbreaking decision to make about whether his best friend lives ... or dies.
    Al Jean: Meh.
    Writer: His best friend's a talking rag!
    Al Jean: Sold!
    I'm not a Jean-basher (or a Rags-to-Riches basher, for that matter) but I couldn't resist laughing and thumbing that up.

Definitely one of the worst Simpsons episodes ever.

I like Homer and Ned's Hail Mary Pass

*runs away from thread*

The most unpopular opinion: I still love the simpsons

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Moe View Post
    I still think the writers were high when they came up with that episode... I mean seriously, it's a talking rag! How did they even come up with that?
    Too many fevered egos in an isolated writer's room can create some "Funny" shit. They've become the TV producing equivalent of those "lost souls" in Kidney Trouble.
    Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

I tried watching a new episode the Simpsons, but I realized the show hit a new low, like a brand new, underground parking structure of sadness.

24. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Kid Moe

Blog Entries

Bio-Shock 2 is better than Bio-Shock 1 and Infinite.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Duke of Insomnia View Post
    Bio-Shock 2 is better than Bio-Shock 1 and Infinite.
    this is both the wrong thread for this and just wrong in general

Quote Originally Posted by MDB View Post
    The most unpopular opinion: I still love the simpsons
    ... Their are actually a good amount of people around here understand why a majority of people like The Simpson to some degree to this day, if you probably posted in Dead Homer Society, than yeah, unpopular is a second away...
    How about... "I love how celebrities are the center of attention nowadays and never the actual characters... like Lisa Goes Gaga! That's a great example for a great episode! Who doesn't love Gaga and her taste in fashion?"... now that's a really unpopular opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kaos View Post
    this is both the wrong thread for this and just wrong in general
    Bioshock 1 is great, 2 expands a little bit further on it and 3 doesn't even feel like a Bioshock game at all, it's boring as hell.

Also I thought I was in the other Unpopular opinions thread
    Last edited by Insomnia; 05-09-2013 at 01:13 AM.

CG Rigger/Freelance Designer Robotics's Avatar
    Blog Entries

1) I'll probably provoke some controversy but I was amused at the idea of having the bar rag as the viewpoint for that particular episode, not that I liked the episode itself though. The rag may have been a great personification to tell history-- it was radical. However, this episode was extremely dull due to the static story-telling and lengthy transition between time periods or scenes. I would've appreciate a more relevant title as well.

2) I liked "Round Springfield". This is biased because I love jazz-- I play the jazz piano, and that music is some fantastic stuff. I thought the idea was very cute and the ending was lovely to have Lisa and Bleeding Gums Murphy compose together.

3) I liked "The D'ohcial Network". The gags fired quickly and nicely, and its visual dependencies are suitable. What I didn't like was the final scene with the Winklevoss twins, plus the dramatic giftcard throwaway.

4) I like Lisa's spirit of activism. She's not afraid to show her opinions publicly, and that trait is so much stronger than most other kids in Springfield. This adds to her character values and strength which I could certainly look up to. Irritations from this trait is understandable, nevertheless.

Blog Entries

there's nothing wrong with lisa's activism, her character was great in the classic era

it's the lack of modesty and know-it-all demeanor with which it is presented nowadays that is obnxious

it pretty much nullifies any point she attempts to make and makes her appear less intelligent and more smug

Quote Originally Posted by shoz999 View Post
    ... Their are actually a good amount of people around here understand why a majority of people like The Simpson to some degree to this day, if you probably posted in Dead Homer Society, than yeah, unpopular is a second away...
    How about... "I love how celebrities are the center of attention nowadays and never the actual characters... like Lisa Goes Gaga! That's a great example for a great episode! Who doesn't love Gaga and her taste in fashion?"... now that's a really unpopular opinion.
    I can't say that
    how about "I find the humor in the show funny", "I like the plot of Bart gets a Girlfriend, no matter how many time they have done it" or "Season 21 must be one of my favorites post-classic seasons"

32. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Santa Shoz

Blog Entries

I didn't mind the ''story rape'' in That 90's Show that much, I just hated how much of a bitch Marge was in that episode. Thats why I try to forget that one.

- I hope The Simpsons continues after season 25
    - I really love season 1, it may not be as funny as all the other seasons but it has its own charm
    - Season 14 and 18 are my most hated seasons
    - I want to see Abraham Simpsons hitting on Marge's mom again, they seem like a lovely couple

Blog Entries

the first season has a few of the best episodes, like bart the general and krusty gets busted, and of course, life in the fast lane. top 20 material, that one

Quote Originally Posted by Diversity Pumpkin View Post
    Every episode that's considered "post-classic" (Eternal Moonshine, 24 Minutes, Gone Maggie Gone, Eeny Teeny Maya Moe, etc) are fucking horrible. I just don't get it.
    In my case, with the sole exceptions of Bart the Mother, Make Room for Lisa, Behind the Laughter, Dont Fear the Roofer and maybe one or two Halloween specials, I agree with you that every episode from the post season 9 era pretty much sucks the big one, all things considered. It's laughable that that some people can in all honesty say that the "best" zombie episodes can even begin to compare with the classic episodes.

Thread Information