Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Most underhated episode?

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

“Pretension” by Calvin Klein ataeaf's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Most underhated episode?

What is that one episode that deserves a lot more hate than it gets? Something that hardly gets and crap thrown towards it, but should.

I will avoid pissing of everyone with a classic era episode and say Once Upon a Time in Springfield. When the Krusty show is made an all-girl’s show is just cringe-worthy.
    ah (as in apple)-tuh-eef

2. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Telso

Ill-Mannered Sack of Crap LosTickaToeRest's Avatar
    Blog Entries

In before "all of seasons 1 and 2" :P

But really folks, as I said in another thread recently, I think the Italian Bob gets too little hate. Most of the jokes are incredibly cringe-worthy, I absolutely despise the whole big reveal being that Bob somehow still has his prison uniform on under his clothes years later (probably has my vote for laziest plot point they've ever done), and I hate the abrupt non-resolution of an ending.
    Last edited by LosTickaToeRest; 11-19-2015 at 06:35 AM.
    Earth. Atomizer. Let's go.

Blog Entries

One that I can think of is G.I. (Annoyed Grunt). The plot makes no sense and the final acts are atrocious, yet it still gets a pass from some users.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elliot76 View Post
    don't feel threatened by a dude who gargles mayonnaise

Done with life BloodySimpsonChibi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I know. I know. I always get on this episode but..
    THE KID IS ALL RIGHT!

Am I the only one who complains about how bad an episode it is?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaine View Post
    I'd imagine patting Lisa on the head would sting, damn kids with their spiky heads.

Blog Entries

I've always had a rather strong animosity toward Boy Meets Curl. I'm not even really sure why; it's a pretty harmless episode. it just doesn't have many laughs from me and just feels like a big waste of 22 minutes. it's one of my least favorite episodes of the series, but I don't see many other people mention it

Blog Entries

Make Room for Lisa
    Blame It on Lisa
    Large Marge
    Yokel Chords
    Dangerous Curves

Blog Entries

Pray Anything
    Barting Over
    The Ziff Who Came To be Dinner
    G. I. D'oh
    Kill Gil, Volumes 1 and 2
    Little Big Girl
    Love, Springfieldian Style
    The Burns and the Bees
    Stealing First Base

All really awful episodes that deserve scorn.

Blog Entries

make room for lisa and little big mom, both among the worst of their respective seasons

I rag on this episode a lot, but there are a lot of threads on this topic, so here we go again:

A Star is Torn

As well as:

Super Franchise Me - a lot of people said it was mediocre, but no one really seems to hate it the way I do.
    Replaceable You - no one praises this episode, but it deserves a lot more hate than it gets.
    Lisa the Drama Queen - I've always hated this one, and yet it seems like this episode is considered to be fairly good by most of the board.
    "Your tears say more than real evidence ever could."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dundee View Post
    Pray Anything
    Barting Over
    The Ziff Who Came To be Dinner
    G. I. D'oh
    Kill Gil, Volumes 1 and 2
    Little Big Girl
    Love, Springfieldian Style
    The Burns and the Bees
    Stealing First Base

All really awful episodes that deserve scorn.

Chatting Simpsons Since '93 Brad Lascelle's Avatar

Smart and Smarter
    Moms I'd Like to Forget
    The Scorpion's Tale
    All episodes written by Castellaneta and Lacusta

And, even though it gets some hate, Days of Future Future doesn't get nearly enough to make me happy.
    SEASON 30 RANKINGS
    Bart's Not Dead - 2.5/5 / Heartbreak Hotel - 1.5/5 / My Way or the Highway to Heaven - 3/5
    THOH XXIX = Intrusion of the Pod-Y Switchers - 1.5/5 / Multiplisaty - 2.5/5 / Geriatric Park - 2/5
    Baby You Can't Drive My Car - 2/5 / From Russia Without Love - 3.5/5 / Werking Mom - 3/5
    Krusty the Clown - 4/5 / Daddicus Finch - 5/5 / 'Tis the 30th Season - 2/5 / Mad About the Toy - 1.5/5
    The Girl on the Bus - 2/5 / I'm Dancing as Fat as I Can - 4.5/5 / The Clown Stays in the Picture - 1.5/5
    101 Mitigations - 3/5 / I Want You (She's So Heavy) - 1/5 / E My Sports - 3.5/5
    Bart vs. Itchy & Scratchy - 4.5/5 / Girl's in the Band - 4/5 / I'm Just a Girl Who Can't Say D'oh - 1/5
    D'oh Canada - 2.5/5 / Woo-hoo Dunnit? - 3.5/5 / Crystal Blue-Haired Persuasion - 1.5/5

Kinda like Jesus Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again. I don't get how people can like this garbage. It's horrendous. I understand why people like Iconoclast/Ice/etc., but the love this one gets confounds me.
    Favorite and least favorite by season
    1. Krusty Gets Busted There’s No Disgrace Like Home 2. Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3. Homer at the Bat Like Father, Like Clown 4. Brother From the Same Planet Krusty Gets Kancelled 5. Cape Feare Lady Bouvier’s Lover 6. Homer Badman Another Simpsons Clip Show 7. King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8. Homer’s Enemy El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer 9. Bart Carny The Trouble With Trillions 10. Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: “Kidney Trouble” 11. Guess Who’s Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12. HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13. Tales From the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14. The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15. I, Annoyed Grunt)-bot Bart-Mangled Banner 16. A Star is Torn On a Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister 17. My Fair Laddy Bonfire of the Manatees 18. The Haw-Hawed Couple You Kent Always Say What You Want 19. Funeral for a Fiend All About Lisa 20. Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21. The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22. Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23. The Falcon and the D’ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24. Hardly Kirk-ing Moonshine River 25. The War of Art What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police Let’s Go Fly a Coot 27. Halloween of Horror Lisa With an ‘S’ 28. There Will Be Buds Moho House 29. Springfield Splendor Throw Grampa From the Dane

SuperFriend Rembrandt Q. Einstein's Avatar

A Star is Torn

15. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Nitsy

Quote Originally Posted by Nitsy View Post
    Lisa the Drama Queen - I've always hated this one, and yet it seems like this episode is considered to be fairly good by most of the board.
    This episode is by no means good. It has a rubbish 3rd act (modern Jean era pacing issues as usual), a disastrously non-supportive Marge characterization (as befits most recent Lisa gets a new friend episodes) and is a little too in love with sharing Josh Groban hits.

But here's what it does get right.. and why it probably gets a free pass by a lot of people. They did a really good job of developing the Lisa-Juliet friendship. You understand why they connect. They're both exceptionally gifted, socially ostracized and they have shared interests in the arts. Emily Blunt brings a lot to the character and the performance comes off as both uniquely memorable and accomplished. And the development of Equalia is also pretty inspired. You don't even need to get the Heavenly Creatures references to appreciate the dynamic and it's not heavy-handed like so many other Simpsons episodes based off films (The Departed, Inception, etc.)

Contrast that friendship with the trite excuse for a friendship that Friend with Benefit trots out with Harper. That relationship never evolves beyond cursory shared interest in magic and we have no investment in it whatsoever. I mean, it says something when we're 580 episodes into the series and I can only think of Allison in Lisa's Rival as a better example than Juliet of a realized friendship between Lisa and another girl her age.

17. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Nitsy

Al Jeany apologist scully apologist's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You Only Move Twice - Ridiculously wacky, annoying and cliched

I don't like the A Star Is Burns - Not because that the Critic enters the Simpsons Universe, I don't care at all about that, but because it's just really unfunny. The jokes feel like it's from a season 11 episode. Also I really don't like the episode in season 7 when Bart steals something from a store, I would rather watch A Star is Burns actually, but it's not like any of these two deserves "hate" from the community. (And I don't think I can say any of these is "underhated", but those are the only two I know who could be)
    Even the noblest concerto can be stripped of its beauty and soul

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pax View Post
    One that I can think of is G.I. (Annoyed Grunt). The plot makes no sense and the final acts are atrocious.
    That's most of season 18 tbf.

Quote Originally Posted by Scully Apologist View Post
    No, you're thinking of Kill the Alligator and Run.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Lascelle View Post
    But here's what it does get right.. and why it probably gets a free pass by a lot of people. They did a really good job of developing the Lisa-Juliet friendship. You understand why they connect. They're both exceptionally gifted, socially ostracized and they have shared interests in the arts.
    That I can agree with. I personally don't care for the character of Juliet, and that's a big part of why I don't like the episode, but I will agree that the Juliet-Lisa friendship makes sense and is well-developed. "Friend with Benefit" was a half-assed attempt at doing the same thing.

Still going with The Scorpion's Tale

That episode where Grampa becomes a bullfighter. I cant remember the name of it now but I've always hated it and after recently rewatching it I've realized that it's truly one of the worst episodes ever.

^ Million-Dollar Abie

The episode parallels The Boys of Bummer (possibly my personal least favorite of all time) in its "town drives someone to suicide" plot. I don't hate it as much as that one, but I agree it's a fairly stupid episode. The beginning with the town trying to get the NFL team is the only real highlight.

Blog Entries

only thing I remember about that episode is the original airing was when they first announced the simpsons movie. much hype followed.

oh, and according to Wikipedia(Yea, I know...) the episode was 'voted the 8th worst episode of all time on nohomers' https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Million-Dollar_Abie

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BloodySimpsonChibi View Post
    Can you say me why you find this episode anything good, because I'm really wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by Scully Apologist View Post
    How on earth is You Only Move Twice clichéd ?
    I mean, being befriended with a cool boss who's secretly a super vilain who wants to control the world is something hardly done in general, if never.

Blog Entries

Also being whacky isn't necessarily a bad thing. This episode is probably the best that deals with it.
    Actually the whole main point of the story isn't the Hank Scorpio story, which is more of a background story wich serves the main plot than anything (you can even ignore it, the episode wouldn't be hurt), it's a down-to-earth story about Homer dealing with his new life and having to make a choice for the well-being of his family.

Man, what a great episode.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dundee View Post
    Can you say me why you find this episode anything good, because I'm really wondering.

I think the love story segments are funny and creative, especially the last one.

Quote Originally Posted by BloodySimpsonChibi View Post
    I think the love story segments are funny and creative, especially the last one.
    I'm not much of a fan of the Bonnie & Clyde homage or the Lady & The Tramp spoof but your praise for that final segment is well-founded. The Sid & Nancy story is top-tier. Replacing drugs with chocolate was inspired. Nancy and Yeardley nailed their impressions of Gary Oldman and Chloe Webb's characterizations from the movie. And almost every joke hit.

This was also Raymond Persi's final episode... he would follow in Lauren MacMullan's footsteps and depart for Disney after this episode. Another of those great early Jean era directors that doesn't get nearly enough credit.

My sister, My sitter. Dear God is Bart unlikable and annoying in this episode. It also feels very mean-spirited with Lisa struggling and being mentally tormented. Not a crap episode really, the first half and the scenes with Homer and Marge at the pier are great. But I don' think it deserves as much praise as the other classics from the same season.

"Modern Simpsons" defender simpsonsbart's Avatar

I actually liked this episode, especially when the people who were phoned by Bart come to the Simpsons' house.

To me, it would be the Shary Bobbins one. I didn't like it.
    "You're perfect! In fact, you're better than perfect! Next to you, perfection is crap!"

It was said in a 1997 episode. But if it were said in a recent episode (from the mid 2000s to for now), I'd take it as irony.

I don't believe in modern Simpsons nor golden era: I'm an atheist

Don't fear the roofer!

I'm a post-20th century Simpsons episodes defender.

The ones who say "Zombie Simpsons" make me laugh.

I'm a girl but I say #NotMyDoctor anyway.

don't quite cover all CousinMerl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Itchy View Post
    My sister, My sitter. Dear God is Bart unlikable and annoying in this episode. It also feels very mean-spirited with Lisa struggling and being mentally tormented. Not a crap episode really, the first half and the scenes with Homer and Marge at the pier are great. But I don' think it deserves as much praise as the other classics from the same season.
    My Sister My Sitter is one of the most overhated classic era episodes in my opinion. I still think it's a rather strong episode.

33. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Kangdos

Quote Originally Posted by CousinMerl View Post
    My Sister My Sitter is one of the most overhated classic era episodes in my opinion. I still think it's a rather strong episode.
    Most overhated? Going by the episode's R&R thread the haters are in the minority.

Thread Information