Moments when show staff were most honest about the show’s recent quality

All art is subjective; I get that. But when you sit down and watch most of the episodes from recent seasons, you have to imagine that Jean and co know they aren’t putting out peak Simpsons. This thread is dedicated to that thought: post and reminisce on examples when the people behind the scenes implied/admitted that the show isn’t as strong as it used to be.

Mike Reiss a long time ago compared the Simpsons to a senile old man.
    In fact he was trying to defend the show but the example he used really shows what he really thinks.

About Al Jean, I think he knows he isn't putting out peak Simpsons but he must at least think the show is still decent which is what modern Simpsons apologists say.
    Personally, I am completely sure if they showed modern Simpsons to the Simpsons staff in 1992 they would all think it sucked badly.

3. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Kangdos

Stonecutter The Abominable Dr. Lenny's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ManuelMaiden95 View Post
    Mike Reiss a long time ago compared the Simpsons to a senile old man.
    In fact he was trying to defend the show but the example he used really shows what he really thinks.

About Al Jean, I think he knows he isn't putting out peak Simpsons but he must at least think the show is still decent which is what modern Simpsons apologists say.
    Personally, I am completely sure if they showed modern Simpsons to the Simpsons staff in 1992 they would all think it sucked badly.
    For those who say the show is no longer funny, Reiss has a simple answer: "Well, don’t watch it!" He likened the 450-episode show to a person. "The Simpsons change the way people change. Think of your grandparents. The either get boring or crazy and weird. I like to think ‘The Simpsons’ has gotten crazy and weird."

Quote Originally Posted by The Abominable Dr. Lenny View Post
    For those who say the show is no longer funny, Reiss has a simple answer: "Well, don’t watch it!" He likened the 450-episode show to a person. "The Simpsons change the way people change. Think of your grandparents. The either get boring or crazy and weird. I like to think ‘The Simpsons’ has gotten crazy and weird."
    Which is exactly what I said. He tried to defend the show and he did it in the worse way possible.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ManuelMaiden95 View Post
    Which is exactly what I said. He tried to defend the show and he did it in the worse way possible.
    I wasn't trying to dispute you. I was simply providing the actual quote so you and others could see his exact words and make an actual judgement of his exact statement. Perhaps I should've specified.

Remember Me As I Was 1010011010's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Watch pretty much any of the post Season 9 commentary tracks. Can interpret plenty from the awkward laughing and pauses. When they’re actually focusing on the episode that is.
    Just because I'm stupider than them, they think they're smarter than me!
    Simpsons Season 27 Ratings:
    Every Man's Dream-4.8/10 Cue Detective-6/10 Puffless-7/10 Halloween of Horror-8.4/10 Treehouse of Horror XXVI-(4.5, 5, 3.5) 4.25/10 Friend With Benefit-5/10 Lisa With An 'S'-5.5/10 Paths of Glory--/10 Barthood--/10 The Girl Code--/10 Teenage Mutant Milk-Caused Hurdles--/10 Much Apu About Something--/10 Gal of Constant Sorrow--/10 Love Is in the N2-O2-Ar-CO2-Ne-He-CH4--/10 Lisa the Veterinarian--/10 The Marge-ian Chronicles--/10 The Burns Cage--/10 How Lisa Got Her Marge Back--/10 Fland Canyon--/10 Simprovised--/10 To Courier With Love--/10 Orange is the New Yellow--/10
    Futurama Season 7B Ratings:
    2-D Blacktop-7.5/10 Fry and Leela's Big Fling-7.9/10 T.: The Terrestrial-8.2/10 Forty Percent Leadbelly-6.8/10 The Inhuman Torch-8.4/10 Saturday Morning Fun Pit-(9, 7, 8.5) 8.2/10 Calculon 2.0-8.7/10 Assie Come Home-8.5/10 Leela and the Genestalk-7.2/10 Game of Tones-9.2/10 Murder on The Planet Express-9/10 Stench and Stenchibility-8.5/10 Meanwhile-9.5/10
    Jumping the Shark since 1998...
    Alternate Ending Winner of NHC Survivor Season 1

Ian Maxtone Graham admitted in an interview they were running out of ideas and the show would probably end soon. That was back in 1998 I believe.

so basically reiss' statement is that if you have watched a show for years and it gets bad instead of wanting and pushing for the show too improve we should just stop watching. Seems comically stupid....

A friend of James L Brooks stated that at some point around season 17, Brooks compared The Simpsons to South Park and said that the former wasn't as fresh as the latter, and that he felt that something was needed to "shake up" the show.

Too bad nothing ever came out of it...

I don't take returns. Trab Pu Kcip's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wasn't there the change to HD in Season 20?
    My Favorite and Least Favorite from every season.
    U1: Babysitting Maggie/Burp Contest, U2: Space Patrol/The Funeral, U3: The Bart Simpson Show/Bart's Nightmare, S1: Krusty Gets Busted/Homer's Odyssey, S2: Lisa's Substitute/Principal Charming, S3: Saturdays Of Thunder /Mr. Lisa Goes To Washington, S4: Homer The Heretic/Marge In Chains, S5: Deep Space Homer/Sweet Seymour Skinner's Badasssss Song, S6: Lisa's Rival/Another Simpsons Clip Show, S7: Bart Sells His Soul/Scenes From The Class Struggle In Springfield, S8: The Springfield Files/My Sister, My Sitter, S9: The City Of New York vs Homer Simpson/All Singing, All Dancing, S10: Lisa Gets An 'A'/When You Dish Upon A Star, S11: Behind The Laughter/Kill The Alligator And Run, S12: Trilogy Of Error/Simpson Safari, S13: I Am Furious (Yellow)/The Frying Game, S14: Bart vs Lisa vs The 3rd Grade/Helter Shelter, S15: I, (Annoyed Grunt) Bot and The Wandering Juvie/Bart Mangled Banner, S16: Don’t Fear The Roofer/On A Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister, S17: Girls Just Want To Have Sums/Bonfire Of The Manatees, S18: 24 Minutes/Rome-Old and Juli-Eh, S19: The Debarted/All About Lisa, S20: Coming To Homerica/Lisa The Drama Queen, S21: Homer The Whopper/The Greatest Story Ever D'ohed, S22: Homer The Father/The Great Simpsina, S23: Holidays Of Future Passed/Treehouse Of Horror XXII and Lisa Goes Gaga, S24: The Saga Of Carl/Love Is A Many Splintered Thing, S25: Steal This Episode/Diggs, S26: Simpsorama/The Musk Who Fell To Earth, S27: Barthood/Friend With Benefit, S28: The Town/The Cad And The Hat, S29: Flanders Ladder/Treehouse Of Horror XXVIII, S30: Baby You Can't Drive My Car/Treehouse Of Horror XXIX, S31: Highway To Well/Warrin' Priests, Both Parts.

Quote the post above you, it gives me an enormous sense of a slow computer.

How about the opening to "Treehouse of Horror XXV?" After some clips from actual THOH specials play, we get some fake clips from non-existent specials, including Homer eating his intestines (OK, THAT one sort of became real with THOH XXVIII), Santa's Little Helper with a chainsaw and Scratchy mask, Lisa squeezing Bart's severed head in a vise, and Marge revealing a machine gun in her hair. Those were more or less their way of admitting many of the THOH specials since the switch to HD haven't been very memorable, and because they had to whip up that intro quickly when the John K. opening got delayed as usual (it instead ended up on THOH XXVI) they figured as long as they were going to show some clips from the past special, they should make it more interesting by doing such a gag.

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trab Pu Kcip View Post
    Wasn't there the change to HD in Season 20?
    Yup, still lackluster but in wide-screen and in a higher resolution.
    Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

I tried watching a new episode the Simpsons, but I realized the show hit a new low, like a brand new, underground parking structure of sadness.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Patches O'houlihan View Post
    Yup, still lackluster but in wide-screen and in a higher resolution.
    Yeah, I wouldn't consider the HD era synonymous with improvement. I'd say the show almost instantly got worse when it switched to HD.

Thread Information