Thread: Should The Simpsons do season-long story arcs?

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

“Pretension” by Calvin Klein ataeaf's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Should The Simpsons do season-long story arcs?

I would be interested in seeing them attempt a story arc for an entire season. The closest we got to a story arc was probably Who Shot Mr. Burns?, or maybe that Mary Spuckler duo.
    ah (as in apple)-tuh-eef

Non-Simpsons scare me. Road Rage's Avatar

It would probably be a bit much. I wouldn't mind as much if it was done how Seinfeld managed it though, where the season-long story isn't given much notice in most episodes. But I don't even watch the newest episodes, so I wouldn't try to stop them, especially after all these years. Might still work best for something like Disenchantment though, which has a whole half a season released at once rather than fragmented over a much longer period.

3. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

Bring on the men Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I wouldn’t care for that. I think it could be one of two extremes, though: Either it would garner audiences not seen in decades because people want to follow the story and find it enthralling, or people could just not bother watching because they’re not interested in the story in the first place, leading to even fewer viewers.
    Favorite and least favorite by season
    1. Krusty Gets Busted There’s No Disgrace Like Home 2. Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3. Homer at the Bat Like Father, Like Clown 4. Brother From the Same Planet Krusty Gets Kancelled 5. Cape Feare Lady Bouvier’s Lover 6. Homer Badman Another Simpsons Clip Show 7. King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8. Homer’s Enemy El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer 9. Bart Carny The Trouble With Trillions 10. Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: “Kidney Trouble” 11. Guess Who’s Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12. HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13. Tales From the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14. The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15. I, Annoyed Grunt)-bot Bart-Mangled Banner 16. A Star is Torn On a Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister 17. My Fair Laddy Bonfire of the Manatees 18. The Haw-Hawed Couple You Kent Always Say What You Want 19. Funeral for a Fiend All About Lisa 20. Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21. The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22. Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23. The Falcon and the D’ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24. Hardly Kirk-ing Moonshine River 25. The War of Art What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police Let’s Go Fly a Coot 27. Halloween of Horror Lisa With an ‘S’ 28. There Will Be Buds Moho House 29. Springfield Splendor Throw Grampa From the Dane

Actually an Esquilax Venomrabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Not a whole season long but maybe once in a while having something that follows up on the last episode might work. Or as mentioned, where it's mostly out of focus for a lot of it. Like maybe one episode or so released after the movie that addressed some things that were dropped but it's a bit late now.

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

maybe

I do not think it's a good idea. I think it would remove that timelessness that characterizes this series, which allows you to see the last episode and then the first without any problem. On the contrary, and although they seem contradictory ideas, it would not bother me (and, in fact, I would like it) that they allow themselves not to return to the status quo on each occasion, and that they can establish some changes in the reality of the characters, such as , that Lisa has a new friend. Otherwise, any plot involving a new friendship of Lisa will be no surprises, as has happened with The Girl in the Bus, which could be much better if Sam would truly mean a change in Lisa's life.

don't quite cover all CousinMerl's Avatar

I think it would be excessive, but like I've said before in similar threads pertaining to stort arcs it could be interesting having some shorter ones with some ongoing subplot things spanning across a smaller number of episodes (not unlike with how they did in season 6 of South Park); those could probably work as it wouldn't be anything too big or drastic.

9. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

Ehhh, no not really. It would be kind of interesting, not gonna lie, but I don't think the show could handle it that well, to do 20+ episodes that all revolve around a story or narrative just doesn't seem like something The Simpsons can pull off. Interesting in theory, but I think in practice it could backfire. I'm fine with The Simpsons maintaining a largely standalone episodic season where each episode can stand on it's own, and not one big season long arc.

11. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Szyslak100

Blog Entries

I've given up on a number of shows because I got so sick of season-long story arcs and "big bads" and drawn-out scooby doo reveals

don't quite cover all CousinMerl's Avatar

Longer and drawn out story arcs and serialized storytelling in general is very much the norm in series nowadays and it's no doubt a detriment in a lot of instances. I like how The Simpsons has kept away from that and stays episodic but I would still welcome those shorter and more subtle story arcs (that doesn't demand the viewer to see them all to understand it).

I'd like it though not for an entire season, I would like it if it were three episodes or something like that.

Al Jeany apologist scully apologist's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This would be an absolute horrorshow that I'd love to witness. Can you imagine Jeany showrunning a season long arc???
    oh my you're so rock n roll

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'd take a multiple story-arc season so the whole thing doesn't become one big slog. There has to be a major catalyst in the first episode that set events in motion for the family and town to be resolved in the last few episodes. For me, the big moment is the Nuclear plant finally closes due to automation and Mr. Burns running for president (and winning) and Homer loosing his job ends up breaking up with Marge and for the rest of the season. All of the story arcs would stem from these conflicts.
    Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

I tried watching a new episode the Simpsons, but I realized the show hit a new low, like a brand new, underground parking structure of sadness.

Thread Information