View Poll Results: How would you rate this episode?

Voters
160. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5 Laura Powers

5 3.13%
  • 4/5 Jessica Lovejoy

17 10.63%
  • 3/5 Greta Wolfcastle

50 31.25%
  • 2/5 Milhouse Van Houten

43 26.88%
  • 1/5 Lady Gaga

45 28.13%
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Rate and Review: "Moonshine River" (PABF21)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Food-Crazed Maniac Oh, that's raspberry!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lisa with Milhouse didn't bother me...I mean it was one scene anyway, but they've established scenes with them before now anyway.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 2
    So the average grade for the episode so far is a little over 2.5, which is about a B- my grading standards, which I guess is acceptable. Optimism rising.
    A 2.5 out of 5 is a 50%+ in my book.

A 50% on a test would be an F.

This episode was an F.
    Last edited by The Angry Animated Comedy Nerd; 09-30-2012 at 07:51 PM.

Blog Entries

I thought this episode was decent enough, the Marge and Lisa sub-plot didn't work for me and I feel this might have been a stronger episode if that plot had been removed, allowing for more time to be spent on the Bart plot to make up for the time wasted by that awful song.

Other than that, the episode had some pretty good jokes, a nice opening reference to "The Longest Daycare" and a honestly, an ending that almost made me feel a little misty eyed because at that moment when Bart was sniffling, I knew exactly the pain he felt....unlike him though, I wasn't able to forget it the following week.

The 9/11 tease was probably my favourite joke of the episode, simply because I was amazed they'd even go that far.

3.5/5 (Points deducted for the sub-plot and the song)

Oh, an I've sent my couch gag idea to the site. Basically the Simpsons run in and sit on the couch as normal. Homer hits a button on the remote to change the channel and as he does this he suddenly turns into Peter Griffin, the family stare at him in shock as he hits it again and becomes Stan Smith before rapidly hitting the button as he turns into various dads from animated FOX shows (Hank Hill, Bob, Cleveland etc.) before returning to normal as the family all smile and resuming watching TV. A subtitle appears which reads (I can't remember what it was exactly) something to the effect of "We paved the way for every other animated FOX show....." this subtitle is then replaced with "Your welcome"
    How to remaster

4. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Santa Shoz

Formerly known as E.A. Moz

Lisa is such a tease. Nelson last season and now starting back up with Milhouse?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MuchAdoAboutNothing View Post
    A 2.5 out of 5 is a 50% in my book.

A 50% on a test would be an F.

This episode was an F.
    That's why your grading scales sucks. You're devoting half of your range to different degrees of failure, making all of your slightly above-average to good scores just bunch together in the same 4/5 to 5/5 area.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jims View Post
    That's why your grading scales sucks. You're devoting half of your range to different degrees of failure, making all of your good scores just bunch together in the same 4/5 to 5/5 area.
    Grading scales should really be 1/10 anyways.

And I was just kidding anyways.

Grading scales are pointless.

Sucky trash is sucky trash no matter what grade you give it.

But 2.5/5 = 50%.......

Did you fail math class or something? Or did you mean 2.5/4???

OT: by classical standards, big fat 0. By modern standards: something like 2.5-3/5
    Check Out My Brand New Simpsons Blog at http://isimpsalot.blogspot.ca/

Banned
    Blog Entries

I was just joking!

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
    Lisa is such a tease. Nelson last season and now starting back up with Milhouse?
    But 2.5/5 = 50%, did you fail math class or something? I mean you did say 2.5, unless you mean 50% = B- (then wtf is F?) ? or did you mean 2.5/4?

OT: by classical standards, 0, by modern standards: 3/5

11. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Sam

Blog Entries

2.5/5
    Besides the very boring a and b plot the jokes were rarly funny but I liked the ending.
    The only jokes I thought were funny were
    The American Tail joke and Marge getting sprayed by the fire hose

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

Written by Tim Long
    Directed by Bob Anderson
    Billboard: McBain Capital / Consider this a hostile takeover
    Blackboard: I WILL NOT WEAR WHITE AFTER LABOR DAY (Bart is wearing a white suit)
    Couch: Everybody (except Maggie) emerges from cocoons as butterfiles, but are being chased by Gerald with a mallet; they make their escape when Maggie props open a door with her pacifier
    Special Guest Voice: Ken Burns, Zooey Deschanel, Sarah Michelle Gellar, Anne Hathaway, Maurice LaMarche, Don Pardo, Natalie Portman, Kevin Michael Richardson, Al Roker, Sarah Silverman, Marcia Wallace
    Also Starring: Chris Edgerly, Pamela Hayden, Tress MacNeille
    Overseas Animation: Rough Draft
    TV Rating: TV-PG-DLV

Bart has a ravioli that looks just like him - of course, all ravioli with pointed edges look like Bart.

Bart still uses video tapes.

The name above Mary's on the door of her New York residence was "H. Golightly", a reference to "Breakfast at Tiffany's", which is not too surprising considering the title of the episode.

When the chalk artist draws Bart, he starts with a cylinder and circles, which is how most of the "How to draw Bart" instructions describe how to do it.

"In memory of Andy Williams" - as far as I can remember, the only time he "appeared" on the show was when he sang "Moon River" in "Bart on the Road" (I assume that was an existing recording and he didn't do it specifically for the show); coincidentally (or not, given the episode title), "Moon River" is another reference to "Breakfast at Tiffany's".

LYRICS for "The Ballad of Cylinder Head"
    Music by Zooey Deschanel; Lyrics by Tim Long
    --------------------------------------------
    A boy I knew turned up again
    Kinda liked him way back when
    Chased him round the lifestyle bend
    (Bart) Rollin' on my skateboard, Pimpin' like a drug lord
    Well, I'm on the cusp of womanhood
    And I like a boy that ain't no good
    At nothin', 'cept makin' me smile
    That's Bart
    I thought my old ways I had shed
    But I sure miss his cylinder head
    Now that boy is a-come to me, oh yes
    B-A-R - now, where's that T?
    Where is it? I don't know - oh that's Bart

CG Rigger/Freelance Designer Robotics's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Mediocre episode. I think Bart's plot was well-focused, while the sub-plot of Lisa and Marge finding something cultural to do in New York didn't seem like a good use of time. I'm also happy that most of the jokes in the episode did not take too long (if they are considered to be a joke) Before getting to the actual review, I'll have to say that Marge's voice sounds either tired, or just much older than the previous season. While Mary Spuckler's voice was less suitable for the character.

First off, I liked the couch gag. It's nice how they took The Longest Daycare and integrated it into the show itself. The couch gag wasn't too short, nor too long, but it was quite cute.

How Bart's problem was introduced in the first act was nicely played out in the Racer's ball. It was funny seeing Lisa dancing with Milhouse despite what happened in the past (But I guess characters are ambiguous in many ways). Moe's blow-up doll made me crack up a little. So, the good introduction to the problem; I also chuckled at Bart taking the relationships seriously. Homer's advice to Bart is almost always stupid, but always kind of fun to hear.

The Simpsons being at the "new" New York, was somehow predictable; such as the fact that Khlav Kalash guy appeared again, this time with a successful business. Marge and Lisa finding something cultural to do was just something to take up time; it didn't contribute to the part, but fair enough, they kept it short so it didn't derail the main plot. There are some nice appearances seen here, like Slideshow Bob. I think that Mary's song was terrible; the sheer randomness within that minute of musical was just...weird.

The last act was alright as well, in the middle of the scale. The Shakespeare part took a little too long, while Bart's main plot worked out pretty well. Not to sound like a jerk but, I chuckled when Bart has tears in his eyes when Mary left elsewhere; a little early for a 10 year old don't you think? The last few seconds, as Lisa was looking through the ratings of her performance was quite an honest joke. You don't want to see yourself get rated, but when it's good then you'd want to see it.

What's missing? Satire...please, PLEASE poke fun at someone, something, or somewhere!!! I haven't really seen much direct or indirect satire in a long time.
    To sum up the episode; jokes aren't too funny but some enough to get me to chuckle. Lisa and Marge's side plot was quite meaningless. Bart's main plot was well focused. Satire--Zero.
    Finally, I give the episode a rating of 2.5/5, and I'll round it to a 3 to be a little more generous. I will probably give it a second watch, just in case I have a change in the opinion, or maybe I missed an important detail.
    Inactive. Find me on twitter instead.
    @charcandids

Blog Entries

Derp

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PythonMoleman View Post
    S U B T L E !!!!!!!

Also who the hell gave this episode a 5![/QUOTE]

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by InsomniaDealer View Post
    Also who the hell gave this episode a 5!
    Funny, I was thinking the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by 7eleven2007 View Post
    But 2.5/5 = 50%, did you fail math class or something? I mean you did say 2.5, unless you mean 50% = B- (then wtf is F?) ? or did you mean 2.5/4?

OT: by classical standards, 0, by modern standards: 3/5
    What are you talking about? I said 2/5.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    Funny, I was thinking the same thing.
    'Cause you totally can't check who did. It's @Darren.Erg. He did it as a joke, like he always does. Some joke.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by InsomniaDealer View Post
    Also who the hell gave this episode a 5!
    click view poll results and you can see for yourself

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome B. Wonderful View Post
    'Cause you totally can't check who did. It's @Darren.Erg. He did it as a joke, like he always does. Some joke.
    Well, that's new to me. I have no idea who's who.

Remember Me As I Was 1010011010's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Act 1: The Couch gag was a little long, but was a nice comeback to the Daycare short. I liked the car and bicycle racing stuff and the gap and tapping gags. Lisa dancing with Milhouse was kinda nice and laughed at Moe's blow up dolls. Honestly, I really didn't feel much for Bart worrying about dating and his girlfriends as a 10 year old and didn't really feel that believable. I could see Bart worrying about enjoying his life more in ATFTBWNDA than his dates. Homers drunk dialing to loved ones was nice and the popcorn thing was okay. And like I speculated, all the girls only got 3-7 seconds of screentime and were just cameos. Just not really good.

Act 2: Homers black and white flashback of New York was great and they kinda went back to his hate of New York. When they get to New York, the shots were good, but didn't really care for the cab thing and the screenboards. I loved Homers line about the 1 moment of love before marriage, but not so much the air conditioner hitting him. Anyway, Mary just didn't feel right in how she sounds nothing like how she did before, sounding like a grown up, how she just came and became a big star at New York, basically becoming completely different from Apocalypse Cow. Just kinda bland.

Act 3: Homer being robbed from the knifer was awesome. The song was kinda just there, corny and cringy in some parts. I honestly don't get why she suddenly likes Bart when she didn't even want to kiss him and was only mutual in her last appearance. And how in the hell did Cletus get to New York when he's suppose to be poor and just kinda appears. Had some good parts I guess.

Act 4: After Cletus says he suddenly wants Mary back, she leaves and tells Bart she loves him, having him not tell them where she went. Meh. The Shakespear stuff with Marge and Lisa was just last minute and should of just been taken out for more stuff of Bart showing more communication with Mary. So they leave on a train, Bart misses her, The End. Don't really know why he likes her when he only was with her for a cow, and just didn't feel that funny or put together.

4.5/10, or 2/5 for poll.

The couch gag poll sounds pretty good and doesn't feel like something for ratings like Nedna.

Also, 100th post yay.
    Just because I'm stupider than them, they think they're smarter than me!
    Simpsons Season 27 Ratings:
    Every Man's Dream-4.8/10 Cue Detective-6/10 Puffless-7/10 Halloween of Horror-8.4/10 Treehouse of Horror XXVI-(4.5, 5, 3.5) 4.25/10 Friend With Benefit-5/10 Lisa With An 'S'-5.5/10 Paths of Glory--/10 Barthood--/10 The Girl Code--/10 Teenage Mutant Milk-Caused Hurdles--/10 Much Apu About Something--/10 Gal of Constant Sorrow--/10 Love Is in the N2-O2-Ar-CO2-Ne-He-CH4--/10 Lisa the Veterinarian--/10 The Marge-ian Chronicles--/10 The Burns Cage--/10 How Lisa Got Her Marge Back--/10 Fland Canyon--/10 Simprovised--/10 To Courier With Love--/10 Orange is the New Yellow--/10
    Futurama Season 7B Ratings:
    2-D Blacktop-7.5/10 Fry and Leela's Big Fling-7.9/10 T.: The Terrestrial-8.2/10 Forty Percent Leadbelly-6.8/10 The Inhuman Torch-8.4/10 Saturday Morning Fun Pit-(9, 7, 8.5) 8.2/10 Calculon 2.0-8.7/10 Assie Come Home-8.5/10 Leela and the Genestalk-7.2/10 Game of Tones-9.2/10 Murder on The Planet Express-9/10 Stench and Stenchibility-8.5/10 Meanwhile-9.5/10
    Jumping the Shark since 1998...
    Alternate Ending Winner of NHC Survivor Season 1

Am I missing something? How is it possible to bring Moe back?

Blog Entries

Moonshine River Review

The episode opens up with The Simpsons at a racecar event, or a biycle event, or a formal dance or something. But things take a turn for the worse when Bart realizes he has nobody to dance with. I was feeling hungry around this point so I went to the fridge for some leftover chocolate cake. I know, I know, it's unhealthy but... ugh... so good. And there's kids starving in Canada, so like, I'd have to be a jerk not to eat it.

I took a bite from the cake and decided maybe using a fork or a spoon would be preferable. You know, less mess. I went to the kitchen, grabbed a fork, and returned to the show. The Simpsons are going to New York! I couldn't wait to see what misadventures they'd get into - when suddenly I realized my plate was nearly empty. NEEDED MORE CAKE. AND FAST. I ran back to the fridge and grabbed another slice. The last slice. This was it, the last slice of cake. My lips would never touch this chocolately goodness again, until I returned to the cake store a few hours later (but that's another story).

I sat myself back on the couch and dug my fork into the cake, put it to my mouth, and took a chomp. So good. The taste was incredible.

All in all, I give this cake a 4/5. There's been better, but hey... it was leftover from the previous day, so it wasn't without fault. Could've used some more sprinkles as well.

During the opening, i noticed Lisa was playing a Tuba instead of her saxophone. Was that just a goof or was it some significant i missed last season. I havent watched all season 23 episodes and season 22 is kinda fuzzy. did anyone else notice this?

Blog Entries

She's played a trumpet and violin I think in previous hd episodes but from what I can tell they are random occurrences.

Blog Entries

What's the point?

Blog Entries

There is not much point. It's just a change from her usual saxophone queue in the couch gag.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Diversity Pumpkin View Post
    What's the point?
    music while you eat your cake

Blog Entries

It probably doesn't cost much, but why waste the time and money on something that isn't funny or interesting at all? And I mean that from an objective standpoint. Ugh... ugh... can't comprehend... the ideas Al Jean has these days. What a horrible show.

2/5 in Classic Terms considering that I've seen much worst Tim Long Episodes than this. 2/5 in Modern Terms considering that I've seen much worst Modern Episodes than this. Honestly, I think the episode would've been written better by Jeff Westbrook, who may have not done much work for The Simpsons and Futurama, but wrote Highly Praised Futurama Episodes and some of the better Modern Episodes and that Apocalypse Cow, which introduce Mary Spuckley, is one of them.
    Heres' The Review: Anyway, believe it or not, the best scene is the Couch Gag. Yes, I said it, the couch gag is way better than any of the other important or some of the funny scenes in the episode. The Couch Gag is a reference to the popular and praised comparable-to-a-classic Simpsons Short, "Maggie's Longest Daycare". The Episode has some neat New York Cultural References, their actually placed really well but their not that funny. Also, you get to not only see the return of Mary Spuckler, but also Homer's Paranoid Feelings of New York, The Persian man who sold Crab Juice and Mountain Dew, and the Actors who performed a Broadway Musical in "Homer Vs. New York". ACT I actually starts pretty well with race cars, the gags are pretty funny as well showing how race cars would operate in Public Roads rather than a Race Car Track. ACT II, shows some pretty good Hillbilly Jokes and Ex-Girlfriend Jokes, only some of it is funny. Than it reaches to New York, which actually starts off slow. Now in ACT III, the only thing worth seeing is how Homer again is attacked by the city of New York, everything else... well the plot needs some fixing. The episode actually has damn good potential, I just think it's written by the wrong guy.
    I give it 3/5 because for the jokes aren't random, their actually well-planned, just that most aren't that funny. The plot starts with a good turn until it reaches the other half. If you want to see Homer, for just a few minutes, get attacked by his Greatest Enemy, New York, it's worth a look. If you want to see the return of Mary Spuckler... well than it feels like Mary Spuckler of Apocalypse Cow, is a actual caring classic character you all like... but than later changed, like many other Simpson Characters, into a modern-day Character who doesn't really have the same impact like before. That's how I sort of feel about the Mary Spuckler in Moonshine River. To be honest, Moonshine River is one of the few Bad Premieres, and believe me it's actually really rare to see a bad Premiere, theirs only been two actual bad premieres the Simpsons Community never liked before, Beyond Blunder-dome and Elementary School Musical.
    Last edited by Santa Shoz; 11-19-2012 at 02:30 AM.

Chatting Simpsons Since '93 Brad Lascelle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by simpsonfan55501 View Post
    Mary was boring and Marge's voice sounded off. Maybe because her voice actress is in her late 40s-50s I don't know.
    Julie Kavner is 62... although she was 61 when this episode was recorded.

Quote Originally Posted by Flexo View Post
    This episode was bad. Still got a few laughs, the plots were the worst, why was Lisa with Milhouse, I can't think of anything else off the top of my head, I need to watch it again.
    The biggest change to come out of Homer Scissorhands is that Lisa is willing to humor Milhouse in his romantic conquest of her whereas beforehand she didn't hesitate to crush his aspirations. This is actually something the show has been pretty consistent about. It's not like anything serious is going to blossom between them until he becomes her safety net after her lesbian trysts in college and she pops out Zia so we can't really expect much in the way of groundshaking development going forward here.

IMO, there's still more material to mine from the Lisa-Nelson dynamic. I actually think a hilarious premise would be one where Milhouse gets jealous of Lisa's relationship with Nelson and tries to become more like Nelson while Nelson, at the same time, becomes jealous of Lisa's relationship with Milhouse and tries to become more like Milhouse. So we have a Nelson-acting-like-Milhouse and a Milhouse-acting-like-Nelson trying to woo an oblivious Lisa and all they succeed in is driving Bart crazy and him wanting to have nothing to do with either one of them. Then, Lisa has to help Milhouse and Nelson together to win her brother's friendship back.

Thread Information