View Poll Results: Did this episode keep you awake?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5: I've never been so awake in my whole life!

0 0%
  • 4/5: I woke up from my coma just to watch this episode

3 42.86%
  • 3/5: It kept me up, but not by much

0 0%
  • 2/5: This was so boring I fell back into the coma

0 0%
  • 1/5: Oh, coma on!

4 57.14%

Thread: Rate & review: Family Guy - Coma Guy

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Joe Swanson ©tormented OldSchoolerSimpsons's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Rate & review: Family Guy - Coma Guy

Peter starts rocking it out to Van Halen and ends up taking it so far he gets into a car accident and falls into a coma.

Last edited by OldSchoolerSimpsons; 04-26-2020 at 04:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by scully apologist;bt39949
    "KONY 2012"

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

Not bad it started out slow and took way too long to get to the coma to the point where it was short and rushed but I really liked the part where Peter was remembering how his family painted the home with him pretty sweet. It’s too bad all that is undermined by Peter’s stupidity when he says it was okay for the family to pull the plug. I laughed because it was so weird and of bad taste. There are a few solid jokes like Homer’s cameo, dead frog comeback, EDM thing, Peter on a vacation, and the black mirror parody. Didn’t care for the big chicken’s cameo.

3.5/5
    Last edited by orangemo; 04-26-2020 at 09:41 PM.
    Winter of our Monetized Content 7.5/10 - Go Big or Go Homer 5/10 - The Fat Blue Line 8/10 - Treehouse of Horror XXX (30) 7/10 - Gorillas on the Mast 7/10 - Marge the Lumberjill 4.5/10 - Livin' La Pura Vida 9/10 - Thanksgiving of Horror 9/10 - Todd, Todd, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me? 6.5/10 - Bobby, It's Cold Outside 8/10 - Hail to the Teeth 7.5/10 - The Miseducation of Lisa Simpson 7/10 - Frinkcoin 8/10 - Bart the Bad Guy 9/10 - Screenless 8/10 - Better off Ned 6/10 - Highway to Well 8/10 - The Incredible Lightness of Being a Baby 7.5/10 - Warrin' Priests 8/10 - Warrin' Priests Part 2 7/10 - The Hateful Eight-Year Olds 8.5/10 - Way of the Dog 9.5/10

Junior Camper

What a mess of an episode; pretty much epitomises zombie FG for me. We have the terrible reused plot points (Peter gets obsessed with a song and dull shenanigans ensue, the family make up at the end etc.), we have the awful rehashed jokes; big chicken, the dead frog taking ages to throw away Peter (I actually fast forwarded this) and Brian being wrong again. I hope the pulling the plug bit was a metaphor for how they're actually going to pull the plug on the show and do us all a favour. Beyond awful.
    Last edited by edwithmj; 04-27-2020 at 03:48 AM.

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by edwithmj View Post
    What a mess of an episode; pretty much epitomises zombie FG for me. We have the terrible reused plot points (Peter gets obsessed with a song and dull shenanigans ensue, the family make up at the end etc.), we have the awful rehashed jokes; big chicken, the dead frog taking ages to throw away Peter (I actually fast forwarded this) and Brian being wrong again. I hope the pulling the plug bit was a metaphor for how they're actually going to pull the plug on the show and do us all a favour. Beyond awful.
    This was the weakest of this week for sure with Bob’s Burgers and Duncanville hitting top.

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

Quote Originally Posted by edwithmj View Post
    I hope the pulling the plug bit was a metaphor for how they're actually going to pull the plug on the show and do us all a favour.
    One small problem: it not only fairly consistently beats both Bob's Burgers and Duncanville in the ratings, it actually beat The Simpsons this week as well.

6. Thumbs Up To This Post by: orangemo

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
    One small problem: it not only fairly consistently beats both Bob's Burgers and Duncanville in the ratings, it actually beat The Simpsons this week as well.
    You know honestly I don’t think it matters what time Family Guy is despite it being at 9:30 it beats Duncanville every single time. You can blame American Idol on ABC though for Fox Sunday low ratings.

Yep, much like last week this was pure autopilot FG for the same reasons @edwithmj already pointed out, but others he didn't being a plot that didn't even have five minutes of material and randomly felt like a slight retreading of April in Quahog in it's final act.

And maybe it's just me but I really hated the way they took the piss on Brian in this episode. Not only was it the show doing that to him for the umpteenth time this season (god fucking forbid we're even allowed to have ONE episode this season where he speaks and this doesn't happen), but it was also due to another pet-peeve of mine for the show which is Chris acting like a random douchebag which makes him the worst of the main characters! So if in future episodes I make more of a big deal about either of these than before, blame this one for that!

Lastly, enjoy this screencap of all the past/dead characters on the ship: Comaguyship.jpg

And a few comments I'll make regarding some of the characters on it:
    * Last I checked, Brenda Quagmire was still alive.
    * Funny that they showed Joan since I've been thinking about I Take Thee Quagmire recently, largely for how an upcoming AD! episode sounds like it'll be rehashing that episode's subplot.
    * Yep, thanks for reminding me that you killed off Diane, which in retrospect was a decision that further added to the show's varying quality over the last decade or so.

1/5 Honestly, I was close to giving this a 1.5/5 because at least there were a few gags that I liked (Brian being treated like an actual dog), but unfortunately the aforementioned Brian potshot/Chris is an asshole moment made me go "Nope, fuck that!".
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Family Guy Season 18 Ratings - Yacht Rocky: 1.5/5 Bri-Da: 2.5/5 Absolutely Babulous: 1.5/5 Disney's The Reboot: 1.5/5 Cat Fight: 1.5/5 Peter & Lois' Wedding: .5/5 Heart Burn: 1.5/5 Shanksgiving: .5/5 Christmas is Coming: 2/5 Connie's Celica: 0/5 Short Cuts: 2/5 Undergrounded: 1.5/5 Rich Old Stewie: 3.5/5 The Movement: .5/5 Baby Stewie: 0/5 Start Me Up: 1/5 Coma Guy: 1/5 Better Off Meg: .5/5 Holy Bibble: 0/5 Movin' In (Principal Shepherd's Song): 0/5
    American Dad! Season 16 Ratings - 100 Years a Solid Fool: 0/5 A Starboy is Born: 1/5 Tapped Out: 0/5 Brave N00b World: 0/5 Into the Woods: 0/5 Roger Needs Dick: TBD One Fish, Two Fish: TBD

Pin Pal

Once again this proves that Peter should be put in the background because his stories are pure garbage and he is a complete moronic piece of shit. Peter saying stupid " I never read a book." Check! Peter doing something stupid getting the music to Van Halen 1984 instead of the actual book "Check!" and doing something stupid getting into a race with Ernie and getting into a coma Check!! Stupid old joke. I wished the frog would have just thrown him out the window!! When Lois pulled the plug, I don't blame her. When he crashed I wished he had died. The doctor said he was brain dead? He never had a brain. LOL! The only good jokes I liked where Brian acted like a real dog, the DJ Meg and Chris listened too and the family painting. This one put me into a coma. 0.5

That moment when you realize this show could easily go on for another ten years. I wonder if this is how Simpsons fans felt. 1/5

@Dr. Nihilistic, How'd you feel about Chris being an ass to Brian at the airport?

Yeah this wasn't good. Only really liked some of the opening act, but it just became repetitive with the constant use of that song. Then it somehow became a marriage crisis? There was just no effort put into this episode at all.

The only thing I really liked was the scenes in the library, specifically the gag about Peter leaving his backpack there and the gag when he's rocking out with headphones on and the guy says "must be listening to Orwell". That legitimately made me laugh. But the whole rest of the episode was just a big nothing.
    Get woke, go broke

Quote Originally Posted by John95 View Post
    @Dr. Nihilistic, How'd you feel about Chris being an ass to Brian at the airport?
    Didn't really mind it. Chris and Brian not liking each other has always been a funny gag in my opinion. But Brian was right. Peter had to crash his car through the wall in order to stop the family from leaving, so I don't know why Chris felt the need to say that.

I see what you're saying with how Brian gets dumped on a lot, and it's not something that I really like, but most of the time, he does it to himself because he's such an awful person. It's not like Meg where the world just shits on her for no apparent reason.

@Dr. Nihilistic, My problem with that though is that as of late there's no reason for it other than Brian saying something which elicits someone to basically be like "Fuck off you stupid dog!" which more or less is what happened here. And as I've said before, this has pretty much happened for most of the season either for one scene (here and Christmas is Coming) or devoting the whole episode to take a piss on him (Baby Stewie). Also, the last season was guilty of doing the latter in Bri-Robot and the subplot for Family Guy Lite.

It's to the point where I'm convinced that even some of Brian's haters who loved things like Quagmire's hypocritical speech or Brian's Play are beginning to get fed up with how frequently he seems to be in an episode just to have him be made to look like a dumbass!

That's just part of Brian's flanderization though, his transformation from intellectual/voice of reason to liberal mouthpiece to arrogant faux-intellectual to complete idiot/egomaniac. The main source of humor in Brian is him thinking he is right while being completely wrong. This episode's quote just illustrated that. I wish there could be more to Brian, but I don't see it changing.

Thread Information