Page 158 of 159 FirstFirst ... 58108148149150151152153154155156157158159 LastLast
Results 4,711 to 4,740 of 4764

Thread: American Dad! general discussion

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

Yeah, this episode was dogshit.
    Quote Originally Posted by simpsonsbart View Post
    About milk, remember that this word has several meanings...

Stompe le Monde (7/1)
    Stan buys the rights of a Broadway show after inheriting money from a dead uncle.
    Eh... Sounds like a rehash of A Star is Reborn, which I didn't even like so I'm not expecting much from this either.
    Family Guy Season 17 Ratings - Married... with Cancer: .5/5 Dead Dog Walking: .5/5 Pal Stewie: 3/5 Big Trouble in Little Quahog: 3.5/5 Regarding Carter: 1.5/5 Stand by Meg: 2/5 Griffin Winter Games: 2.5/5 Con Heiress: 0/5 Pawtucket Pete: 2.5/5 Hefty Shades of Gray: .5/5 Trump Guy: .5/5 Bri, Robot: .5/5 Trans-Fat: 2/5 Family Guy Lite: 1.5/5 No Giggity, No Doubt: 1.5/5 You Can't Handle the Booth: 1/5 Island Adventure: 4/5 Throw It Away: 2/5 Girl, Internetted: 1.5/5 Adam West High: 1.5/5
    American Dad! Season 15 Ratings - Fantasy Baseball: 1.5/5 I Am the Jeans: The Gina Lavetti Story: 0/5 Stan & Francine & Connie & Ted: 0/5 Rabbit Ears: 1.5/5 Jeff and the Dank Ass Weed Factory: 1/5 Lost Boys: 0/5 Shark?!: 1/5 The Long March: 2/5 The Hall Monitor and the Lunch Lady: 0/5 Wild Women Do: 2/5 An Irish Goodbye: 3/5 Stompe le Monde: 0/5 Mom Sauce: 0/5 Hamerican Dad!: 0/5 Demolition Daddy: TBD Pride Before the Fail: TBD Enter Stanman: TBD No Weddings and a Funeral: TBD Eight Fires: TBD The Hand That Rocks the Rogu: TBD Downtown: TBD Cheek to Cheek: A Stripper's Story: TBD

The Hall Monitor and the Lunch Lady: What a huge pile of SHIT!!! This ties with Shark?! as the worst episodes. I like Klaus but I preferred he had been team up with Hayley, Francine or even Jeff and not Steve. Those teamups are better. When he team ups with Steve it turns to crap. The Life Aquatic of Steve Smith was a great example and it left a bad taste in my mouth. The whole main plot was stupid. Principal Lewis has got to go! When he needs sawdust to make money, that is when he has worn out his welcome. The same goes with Tuttle. He is completely worthless. The same goes for the subplot which involves 2 big assholes. I'm talking about Roger and Stan. Pointless gore and them just frozen for the rest of the episode was stupid. But I'm glad they were silent and that was a plus. What was worse, they did it again and this time with Hayley and Francine. Bringing back Dr. Ray who died to be killed again?!! WTF?!!! It was never ended and shouldn't have been made. Please make next week better American Dad!! This gets a big fat 0!!!!!

The Hall Monitor and the Lunch Lady

This was a mixed bag. There were several failed attempts to be edgy common in TBS Era and I couldn’t buy the main plot. I mean, why does Lewis want to poison the whole town? At least vandalizing the pet store had a reason. On the other hand, Klaus and Steve’s team was nice, the appearances of Turlington and Tuttle (and even Billy’s first) were funny and I kind of liked the subplot (the why below). I can see why many people didn’t like this episode, but o was just a middle-of-the-road one to me. 6/10.

Some note items:
    - Lame Family Guy-esque cold open with all that vomit thing.
    - I liked the subplot because unlike most of the forced gore present on TBS the characters reacted realistically to what was happening.
    - Thanks for showing Dr. Kalgary (if you ask me, he’s worse than Billy, although I hate both).

@Martin_PrinceBR, Even if their reactions were "Realistic", just that one point doesn't justify the entire "Subplot" basically amounting to three minutes of dead air because they couldn't give enough of a shit to even attempt an idea to fill up those three minutes the already paper thin main failed to do!

Wild Women Do

When I first heard about this episode I was pretty much intrigued from it's premise alone since Jeff being paired up with Francine hasn't really happened before (unless you count the subplot of) and is definitely a breath of fresh air after so many interchangeable Stan, Roger and Steve episodes. And as a whole for the most part I consider this episode to be an improved version of both Stan's Night Out (the show's first officially bad finale in my opinion) and Jeff and the Dank Ass Weed Factory. I believe the last time we really saw Francine having a wild side (or at least from what I can remember) was Dungeons and Wagons all the way back in Season 2, so it was refreshing to see that aspect of her character back especially when compared to the times where they just make her behave like Lois (The Mural of the Story) or just can't think of anything to do with her besides random unfunny shit (The Legend of Old Ulysses and Shark?!). When the card was introduced I thought the episode was gonna be predictable in terms of how it'd play out, but instead goes in direction that for the most part is logical and makes sense and I was even with it still when they ran into Francine's old drug dealer...

...Which makes it all the more disappointing when the episode ultimately succumbs to the typical end of act 2/beginning of the final third plot twist that normally ruins episodes when Mr. Rick accidentally kills himself, especially since they also resort to the standard "Pointless gore FTW!!" that normally occurs whenever the plot gets written into a corner even though it didn't feel like the plot had cornered itself beforehand. And while the episode doesn't completely fall apart and at least concludes somewhat nicely, it never really fully recovers from this either due largely in part to a very forced and pointless inclusion from Roger as well as several dragged out failed humor attempts like Roger (again) and the cops. This does make me kinda prefer the more predictable route which would've been Francine finding out about the card at the end of act 2 and spending all of the last third going wild until Jeff is able to sooth her with the point that normally snaps her out of it (I forget off the top of my head what it is).

* One reason why I consider this episode to be an improved version of Jeff and the Dank Ass Weed Factory (besides the obvious removal of Stan) is that it manages to avoid some of the same plotholes as that episode like this one actually giving a reason for why Hayley can't partake other then "Eh, I'm lazy". I also jokingly said "Besides, her episode with Francine isn't until next week!".
    * Even though he advances the plot, Roger's role in this episode was completely pointless and his entire scene just dragged like hell. A better alternative in order to get the cops there to lead to Jeff & Francine's escape would've just been to have one of the neighbors call after hearing the gunshots.
    * Terrible subplot as always, especially since like last week's they had to resort to their "Pointless gore FTW!!!" card right away. But, at least this was a subplot unlike last week's three minutes of dead air. Still, would've preferred for it to be cut altogether in order to try and give the main plot a better chance of further recovering after it's "Twist".
    * This was the first episode to be written by Marc Carusiello. And while he obviously succeeded in his first outing, it's also pretty damn sad that a first timer is already better then someone like Jeff Kauffman who's been with the show for three years now and has yet to write a single episode that isn't terrible!

2/5 I very much wanted to give this episode something higher, like maybe even a 3 due to how strong the first two third's of the episode were. Sadly, the rockiness of it's last third plus the subplot keeps that from happening. Still, it's proven to be the best episode of the season so far (meaning they've now used up their second of guaranteed three decent episodes per season).

Mom Sauce (7/8)
    Steve's life is turned upside down when Snot gets rich after his mom starts selling a new dipping sauce. Klaus, Stan, Roger and Jeff become mall fashion show models.
    Well, there ya go @Martin_PrinceBR, the episode they talked about last year where Snot becomes rich. But because I don't like him combined with the awful sounding subplot, to me this will probably be yet another dime a dozen episode that just makes me want to fall asleep halfway in...

It sounds like a rehash of the awful subplot for Roger's Baby where Steve is an unlikable son of a bitch and Snot forgives him for no reason. The subplot sounds like another random bullshit to give the other main characters (and Jeff) something to do.

9. Thumbs Up To This Post by: John95

@Martin_PrinceBR, Yeah, I would be surprised if this doesn't go the route of Steve sabotaging things ala Dope & Faith so that he continues having as many episodes as his piece of shit dad where he's completely unlikable despite the show wanting us to think otherwise!

The subplot more so sounds like it exists simply so ROGER can have something to do because they couldn't shoehorn him anywhere in the main plot. That seems to sum up most of the subplots we've gotten so far this year.

Wild Women Do was a little bit of an improvement from last week. It was great to see Francine loosen up and get crazy. We haven't seen anything like that since she lost her memory and Stan had to help her get it back. Classic episode. I'm glad Jeff was along with her. But what really ruined it was once again Roger comes along and fucks it up. He has gotten really stupid. Pointless blood shed especially Roger screwing things up by making things worse. The subplots lately are getting worse lately. This one was just lazy but at least it wasn't lazy like last weeks'. That psycho was a pointless character and once we get more gore which was worthless. I love Hayley but I hope she gets more to do in the next episode. Overall, I'm giving it a 2.

Hamerican Dad! (7/15)
    Stan reluctantly invites Roger into his ham club. Francine decides to scare Greg.
    Well, at least the subplot has the possibility of this being another Fantasy Baseball & Shark!? scenario, though it won't surprise me if it ends in pointless bloodshed as the idea sounds like one that will result in the plot cornering itself if not handled properly. And at least it involves a side character for once who isn't Tuttle (though I've honestly never cared too much for Greg).

I just realized we had four non-Stan episodes in a row. Must be some kind of record. You could also say the same about Roger, but he had his background period in FOX’s last season and the TBS’ first.

Wild Women Do

Good episode with an interesting character interaction. I would have liked it even more if Jeff trying prevent Francine goes wild had more screentime, as I found this very funny. The course the episode took with that guy committing suicide was strange, but Roger’s addition was nice as well as the way they set things right. 8/10.

Some note items:
    - Pointless B-plot. The only thing I liked was that they explored Klaus’ vengeful side again (the others were in Surro-Gate and Stanny-Boy and Frantastic), but this one was totally laugh free.
    - Despite the final scene, I’m sure it’ll take a long time before we get another Francine/Jeff episode.

@Martin_PrinceBR, What you said about the lack of Stan made me think of a comment I saw on Reddit where someone said that the noticeable lack of Stan (as well as Roger and to a lesser extent Steve) might be due to how Seth himself is busy with The Orville (which also features Scott as a cast member) which might explain his noticeable lack of screentime as of late. Not that I'm complaining though, the less of him the better.

Yeah, sadly the pairing up of Francine & Jeff in Wild Women Do will more then likely be a once in a lifetime opportunity

And with that all said and done, onto this week's episode...

An Irish Goodbye

Honestly, there isn't a whole lot I'm gonna say about this episode as it pretty much embodies everything I want out of an episode of the show these days:

-Central focus on Hayley &/or Francine, as they're pretty much the only characters in the main cast worth giving a shit about when written properly
    -The main plot is very simple and straightforward without any kind of out of nowhere insanity to advance the story, but also being engaging enough to not be boring.
    -The bloodshed (which normally seems to occur only because the episode wrote itself into a corner) is kept at a minimum to being completely non-existent altogether.

One could argue that all of these things make for a bland and boring episode, but on the flipside I hate the majority of the show's episodes that are the exact opposite of this where they focus on characters who aren't worth giving a shit about mostly due to how despicably unlikable they are, pulling something completely out of their ass in order to advance the story but accomplishing nothing besides derailing it and a overabundance of gratuitous gore (which again, seems to happen only because they wrote themselves into a corner and couldn't think of another option out)!

So because of that, I actually had to think my rating for this one for at least a day because while I was gonna rate it higher then a 2 (which is the best that an episode of this series can usually do these days), I had to think if the score I ultimately went with would be too generous. I ultimately went with the score I gave it because while I actually found this to be possibly the new best episode of the TBS run (well, for me at least) it does unfortunately have it's fair share of not just the standard TBS shortcomings, but also some of the flaws about the show that I didn't like even before the show moved from 2010-2014 where they slowly devolved back into being the FG imitation they were accused of being back in the early days before deciding to fully embrace it as yet another sign of how nobody on staff seems to give a fuck anymore (most of the time anyways).

* The examples of the TBS shortcomings I was referring to was the extended bit of Francine talking about which Sesame Street characters she thinks Hayley wants to have sex with as well as the latter talking about Jeff seeing Tuttle's penis. Both of which were just abysmal.
    * Speaking of Tuttle, even when he's not in an episode he's forcibly shoehorned in somehow. And much like with his appearance in the cold open for Top of the Steve, his inclusion was easily the worst part of the episode.
    * Steve was only on-screen for like 10 seconds and had maybe only two or three lines. That's gotta be a record.
    * Roger's total amount of screentime in this episode being only about a minute and a half should've also been applied to last week's episode, especially since his entire extended bit in that one was entirely superfluous.
    * Rogu delivered his first actual funny moment in this episode, the fake-out of him pretending to be Hayley. Unfortunately, this doesn't make up for him serving his same usual purpose of being Billy 2.0 for the rest of the episode so now he's 3.9 for 4 in terms of pointless appearances.
    * Much like with the last episode, a newcomer wrote this one. And also much like last time, it's sad that someone writing their first episode has a better understanding of what the series and it's characters should be versus someone like Jeff Kauffmann's who's been writing for the series for more then three years now and has never once written an episode that's anywhere close to being good!

3/5 Well, with this episode the show has officially delivered it's third of guaranteed three worthwhile episodes per season,. Outside of maybe a subplot here and there and possibly two more chances to give us a decent episode, in my opinion it's all downhill from here (especially if the synopsis' for the main plots for the next three are any indication).

Demolition Daddy (7/22)
    Thanks to Roger, Snot discovers his dead father was a demolition derby driver. Hayley takes Steve on a road trip, so he can learn to drive.
    Much like with the episode before this one, there's some potential with the subplot... But, I'm not holding my breath considering how shit the last Steve & Hayley subplot was on top of this again feeling like a story where they'll eventually shitface themselves into a corner being forced to resort to pointless gore as their only option out.

Wrote the book on flimflammin Grifty McGrift's Avatar
    Blog Entries

John95 you are one odd fellow. The one bad episode in a pretty good while, you give the highest score I've ever seen you give.

@Grifty McGrift, Yeah, well a lot of my opinions about this show aren't popular, one of the big ones being that the show was honestly in decline long before it went to TBS. Also, this is the same rating I gave to last year's Mean Francine.

Stompe le Monde

Well, after two weeks of episodes that were at least decent, we go back to the typical dime a dozen kind of episode that I hate from this show where at best it suffers from a boring main plot, but is made worse by how they make the lead character (in this case Stan) a completely unsympathetic asshole. Except that this episode decides to double down on that by making EVERYONE a fucking hateable dipshit! This not only made the episode feel even more insufferable and tedious then usual, but also made the emotional core at the episode's end fall completely flat since I was like "Sorry, nice try!" as I couldn't excuse the 15 or so minutes beforehand of everyone just being complete scum!

- Third episode of the year to be written by Zack Rosenblatt, and it's just as terrible as his previous two. As of this episode, he's on-par with most of the other current writers on-staff in regards to how shit he is at his job!
    - Several times throughout the episode I kept thinking "Family Guy called, they want their script back!" due to the "Jokes" as well as the overall behavior of the main cast. But if this episode really started off as an FG one, I imagine that it was shelved simply because they already did an episode about an off-Broadway show with the main character being an unlikable douchebag (Brian's Play). If true, I would've preferred it stay as such since at least the FG episode would've had more then just one or two mildly-funny moments and done a better attempt to make the characters sympathetic at the end.
    - This episode also reminded me of Max Jets in terms of now nasty and unlikable everyone in the main cast is, which obviously isn't a good thing since I hated that episode as well.

0/5

So... Yeah, the plots for all of the rest of the episodes for this season have been revealed:

Pride Before the Fail (7/29)
    Roger tries to force Hayley into graduating from community college so he can move into her room. Klaus repairs Francine’s car.
    Enter Stanman (8/5)
    Roger helps Stan enter Francine’s dreams after he becomes insecure about their contents.
    No Weddings and a Funeral (8/12)
    Klaus leaves the family after one too many harassments. 15 years later, they reconnect for his funeral.
    Eight Fires (8/19)
    Roger helps Francine with her terrible cooking by bringing her to a remote Patagonian island. Stan gets a nail in his head and can’t speak.
    The Hand that Rocks the Rogu (8/26)
    Steve babysits Roger’s ex-tumor, Rogu, to prove to Francine that he’s ready for the responsibility. Stan and Francine get into trouble in their respective clubs.
    Downtown (9/2)
    Hayley drives Steve to a testing center in “no good” downtown but they end up stranded in a worse suburban neighborhood. Stan, Francine, and Roger mistakenly go downtown to rescue them.
    Cheek to Cheek: A Stripper’s Story (9/9)
    Roger enlists Jeff as his protégé in order to open his dream chivalric strip club. Klaus moves into Steve’s room.

Blog Entries

I can agree there was a slight decline around season 6, and new episode don't match up to the old ones, but since the show came back in... March, was it? Most episodes have been decent to pretty good. Except An Irish Goodbye. Lol.

Blog Entries

Wow I love the ending to No Weddings and a Funeral being straight up revealed in the synopsis.

Funny how Roger is mentioned in all the synopses. At least they seem to have stopped using Jeff too much.

Blog Entries

Why do all of them need a silly B plot that probably takes like 3 - 4 minutes of total screentime? I don't post in this thread cause I'm too lazy but I hate that part of the TBS era. Some episodes could be genuine 5/5's if you cut those plots. Not to say B plots can't be great, but the way they do them now... The B plot stars always, ALWAYS act STUPIDLY out of character. Or just do something actually stupid that's barely entertaining. Like that one where Stan and Francine lived at like a dog race track or something. Snore.

Stan and Roger are stuck in shock... So Francine takes them back to the mall... Hahayaga?

24. Thumbs Up To This Post by: John95

The paycheck of the voice actors needs some justification, I suppose. They act OOC because if they act normally in those few 3 minutes of screen the writers think they’ll not be funny.

26. Thumbs Up To This Post by: John95

@Grifty McGrift, Show's been back since February actually. And other then One Woman Swole, The Long March, Wild Women Do and An Irish Goodbye (and Funnyish Games and Fleabiscuit to lesser extents), all the episodes we've gotten for the most part are the typical dime a dozen episode from the show's current era that makes me want to fall asleep at best and are downright unwatchable at worst. Hasn't helped that the show's gone through another rapid decline since The Legend of Old Ulysses.

Actually, it was mentioned at one of last year's Comic Con's that a future episode would involve Klaus faking his own death so part of me thinks the synopsis hasn't given away the ending to that episode. And if not Enter Stanman, then I think this is the episode that'll also be the four years too late Inside Out parody.

If there's one thing we actually can agree on is that the subplots (many of them I'd put in quotes) are just completely terrible and in most cases hamper the episode in question. I would've liked The Long March and Wild Women Do slightly more if both of the "Subplots" for those episodes didn't even happen. It's especially worse in cases like The Future is Borax where they seem to exist simply to give Roger some pointless screentime since he couldn't be shoehorned anywhere into the main plot.
    @Martin_PrinceBR, He isn't mentioned in all of the synopsis, and I'd honestly much rather see more of Jeff then him anyways.

What you said about the subplots pretty much applies to a good chunk of the main plots for the TBS seasons as well.
    Last edited by John95; 07-03-2019 at 06:39 AM.

I really need to start watching this show again. I thought "Jeff and the Dank Ass Weed Factory" was decent, but I haven't been watching consistently since season 12, probably.
    @John95, serious question: Do you remember the last time you enjoyed this show? The last time you thought it was consistently good? I would say to stop watching a show you've hated for years, but I just realized in May that I can't watch new episodes of Family Guy anymore.

Blog Entries

Was it February? Hot damn, time passes. I still don't think a lot of episodes this year have been very good, I've given out a lot of 4's. Rabbit Ears stuck out a lot to me. I can even get behind the B plot there since we see it from Stans perspective and how annoying he finds it. And I really liked The Legend of Old Ulysses and Fleabiscuit as well

@Dr. Nihilistic, Season 4 (or the 2008-2009 one) was the last time I thought the series was consistently good, though it fell apart pretty hard in it's last four episodes. Would preferred for the show to end here or the previous season which was where I thought they peaked. Season 5 was OK, but this was the start of the bad episodes outweighing the good ones.
    @Grifty McGrift, Rabbit Ears was surprisingly OK, but as I mentioned in my original thoughts on it it's the kind of episode that in time will age poorly thus is only really good for one viewing. Your justification for the "Subplot" (which was pretty much a shorter version of the already shit subplot from Son of Stan) is like saying the three minutes of dead air from The Hall Monitor and the Lunch Lady were good because everyone's reactions to the pointless gore was "Realistic". The Legend of Old Ulysses was shit and I would've liked Fleabiscuit more if it had more then just ten minutes of actual material with the remaining ten being used for pointless boring shit like naked Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by John95 View Post
    @Dr. Nihilistic, Season 4 (or the 2008-2009 one) was the last time I thought the series was consistently good, though it fell apart pretty hard in it's last four episodes. Would preferred for the show to end here or the previous season which was where I thought they peaked. Season 5 was OK, but this was the start of the bad episodes outweighing the good ones.
    To me, the show was in its prime from seasons 2-7 (2006 to 2012). A lot of my favorite episodes and moments come from that period. I don't know when exactly, but there was a time in between those seasons where everything the show was putting out was fantastic. I think it was sometime between seasons four and seven where it was at its highest possible quality.

I didn't think season eight was as good as the last couple seasons, but the show was still really entertaining. Season nine was the first one that I actually watched as it aired, and it was then that I not only realized it was better than Family Guy, but a lot of people had given it unfair treatment, including me. I thought that was an improvement on eight, and had the show ended there, it would have been perfect. But that's knowing what we know now (the move to TBS, Mike Barker leaving).

Season ten was alright, but it felt like something was wrong. Like someone had turned the lights off somewhere and the switch couldn't be flipped back on. The quality was really inconsistent, the characters (especially Stan) seemed a little more shallow, and it definitely felt like the show was trying to find itself again. And there were some genuinely terrible episodes here, like "American Fung," which I still feel like pretending never happened.

Season eleven was way better and it definitely seemed like the show was getting its voice back. It wasn't the same as it was on Fox, but it was good in its own way, and I still think this is the best season they've had on TBS.

Season twelve was a lot more like season ten with the quality being wildly inconsistent. And once again, there was an episode that I felt like pretending it never happened ("Kloger"). I haven't been watching the show that much since then, but I'm going to start up again just to see if things have gotten better or worse.

@Dr. Nihilistic, Honestly, it's gotten even worse since the point where you stopped. The show is more or less an even shallower version of FG by this point (this week's episode in particular felt like a rejected FG script), the characters continue to be inconsistent (especially in the subplots) and much like what you said about American Fung and Kloger, The Mural of the Story is an episode that SHOULDN'T exist, but yet it does and they pissed all their credibility away for allowing it to!

Quote Originally Posted by John95 View Post
    @Dr. Nihilistic, Honestly, it's gotten even worse since the point where you stopped. The show is more or less an even shallower version of FG by this point (this week's episode in particular felt like a rejected FG script), the characters continue to be inconsistent (especially in the subplots) and much like what you said about American Fung and Kloger, The Mural of the Story is an episode that SHOULDN'T exist, but yet it does and they pissed all their credibility away for allowing it to!
    I just looked up that episode and the first picture I saw was of Hayley's deformed face. Do I want to know why her face looks like that?

Thread Information