Thread: American Dad! general discussion

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

I haven’t watched Eight Fires yet, but No Weddings and A Funeral was good. AD! never had a futuristic episode, so it’s pretty exciting to watch it. I didn’t care how the family treated Klaus during the episode. Practically every episode has a joke with Klaus being scorned, here the plot just needed longer scenes. Still, it wasn’t very funny and a step down from the last three episodes (which were very strong). A 8/10.

@Martin_PrinceBR, I'll make a longer post later, but Eight Fires was the first episode in a month and a half that I thought was OK. Francine at least behaved like herself and not like a mindless robot that artificially acts a random way depending on the episode like the characters have been over most of the episodes that've aired this summer.

Unfortunately, the episode slams into a wall in the final act and never works around said roadblock and the subplot is standard three minutes of nothing culminating into "Pointless gore FTW!!!".
    Family Guy Season 18 Ratings - Yacht Rocky: 1.5/5 Bri-Da: 2.5/5 Absolutely Babulous: 1.5/5 Disney's The Reboot: 1.5/5 Cat Fight: 1.5/5 Peter & Lois' Wedding: .5/5 Heart Burn: 1.5/5 Shanksgiving: .5/5 Christmas is Coming: 2/5 Connie's Celica: 0/5 Short Cuts: 2/5 Undergrounded: 1.5/5 Rich Old Stewie: 3.5/5 The Movement: .5/5 Baby Stewie: 0/5 Start Me Up: 1/5 Coma Guy: 1/5 Better Off Meg: .5/5 Holy Bibble: 0/5 Movin' In (Principal Shepherd's Song): 0/5
    American Dad! Season 16 Ratings - 100 Years a Solid Fool: 0/5 A Starboy is Born: 1/5 Tapped Out: 0/5 Brave N00b World: 0/5 Into the Woods: 0/5 One Fish, Two Fish: 1/5 Exquisite Corpses: 2/5 Trophy Wife, Trophy Life: 1.5/5 Game Night: 2/5 American Data?: 0/5 Salute Your Sllort: 0/5 Ghost Dad: .5/5 Men II Boyz: 0/5 First, Do No Farm: 1.5/5 Roger Needs Dick: 0/5 The Old Country: 0/5 Businessly Brunette: .5/5 The Chilly Thrillies: 1/5 Dammmm, Stan: 1.5/5 The Last Ride of the Dodge City Rambler: 0/5 300: 0/5

Hercules Rockefeller Homer Samson's Avatar

I knew this episode wouldn't be good when John95 said it was okay. Really bored me and after 2 great episodes, we go back to regular old TBS American Dad.
    Best and Worst Episode per Season:
    1: Krusty Gets Busted/Homer's Night Out 2: One Fish, Two Fish, Blowfish, Blue Fish/Bart's Dog Gets an 'F' 3: Bart the Murderer/Saturdays of Thunder 4: Homer the Heretic/So Its Come To This: A Simpsons Clip Show 5: Cape Feare/Lady Bouvier's Lover 6: Homie the Clown/Another Simpsons Clip Show 7: Raging Abe Simpson and his Grumbling Grandson in " The Curse of the Flying Hellfish"/Scenes From the Class Struggle in Springfield 8: The Springfield Files/The Old Man and the Lisa 9: The City of New York vs. Homer Simpson/Miracle on Evergreen Terrace 10: Mayored to the Mob/Homer Simpson in: Kidney Trouble 11: Grift of the Magi/Eight Misbehavin' 12: Trilogy of Error/I'm Goin' to Praiseland 13: The Blunder Years/The Lastest Gun in the West 14: Moe Baby Blues/The Strong Arms of the Ma 15: My Mother the Carjacker/Co-Dependent's Day 16: The Heartbroke Kid/Homer and Ned's Hail Mary Pass 17: The Seemingly Never-Ending Story/The Bonfire of the Manatees 18: The Mook, The Chef, The Wife, and Her Homer/The Boys of Bummer 19: Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind/Husbands and Knives 20: Gone Maggie Gone/Lisa the Drama Queen 21: The Squirt and the Whale/The Greatest Story Ever D'ohed 22: Homer Scissorhands/The Fight Before Christmas 23: The Book Job/Lisa Goes Gaga 24: The Saga of Carl/Love is a Many-Splintered Thing 25: Brick Like Me/What to Expect When Bart's Expecting 26: Sky Police/The Musk Who Fell to Earth 27: Barthood/Every Man's Dream 28: 22 for 30/The Caper Chase 29: Flanders' Ladder/Singin' in the Lane 30: Woo-hoo Dunnit?/I Want You (She's So Heavy)

@Homer Samson, Never said that it was good, just that it was OK, there's a difference. Also, I would classify the two previous "Great" episodes as "Regular old TBS American Dad".

This one gave me the impression that some effort was put into it and it wasn't just them using a shelved FG script that was likely shelved for a reason. That said, I get the boring argument for this one. The main plot does run out of steam in it's final third and the subplot is standard TBS two to three minutes of nothing.

Eight fires

Even with the gross ending, this was a great episode. Francine is in-character and Roger’s persona was hilarious (I’ve never laughed so hard at him in a while) without being a psychopath. Unfortunately the subplot was awful, but at least it made Stan silent. 9/10.

Some note items:
    – I thought the Smiths only turned to Dr. Kalgary when Roger was the patient.
    - Strange that they made a callback to that “Danuta” joke. I’ve seen a lot of people quote it, but I don’t find particularly funny.

@Martin_PrinceBR, At best it was just OK, but it looks amazing when compared to every episode prior to this beginning with Stompe le Monde. And it'll likely still be better than the episode airing tonight which I more than likely won't even end up finishing.

1.5/5 Probably would've liked it slightly had the episode not slammed itself into a wall in it's last act and resorted to their "Pointless gore FTW!!!" easy out for both of the plots.

The second half of the season started off terrible with Stompe Le Monde, Mom Sauce and Hamerican Dad!, but stabilized from Demolition Daddy. By the way, you should have given the latter and Enter Stanman at least a .5/5. Both were awesome.

@Martin_PrinceBR, I already stated back when I first talked about those two as to why I gave them their 0/5's that they ultimately earned. Though I was this close to giving Enter Stanman a .5/5, but didn't thanks to Jeff Kauffman completely screwing himself over in the last 30 or so seconds.

I'll say this much about Season 15, so far it's better than the last simply because they haven't sunken as low as doing something comparable to The Mural of the Story as well as Season 7 because there are at least some episodes I can see myself revisiting, but it's still worse than everything else before it barring those two.

Oh, and in response to you asking why the Smiths keep going to Dr. Kalgary even when Roger's not present, if I recall correctly Francine stated in Family Plan that he was their doctor hence why they attended his "Wedding".

Junior Camper

This one is ok except the ending was a bit over the top.

10. Thumbs Up To This Post by: John95

Quote Originally Posted by John95 View Post
    @Martin_PrinceBR, I already stated back when I first talked about those two as to why I gave them their 0/5's that they ultimately earned. Though I was this close to giving Enter Stanman a .5/5, but didn't thanks to Jeff Kauffman completely screwing himself over in the last 30 or so seconds.

I'll say this much about Season 15, so far it's better than the last simply because they haven't sunken as low as doing something comparable to The Mural of the Story as well as Season 7 because there are at least some episodes I can see myself revisiting, but it's still worse than everything else before it barring those two.

Oh, and in response to you asking why the Smiths keep going to Dr. Kalgary even when Roger's not present, if I recall correctly Francine stated in Family Plan that he was their doctor hence why they attended his "Wedding".
    There was nothing offensive before the last 30 seconds. If I had watched before seeing your review, I would have said you would have given it a 1/5 for being boring at best.

Well, the only Smith he cared for besides Roger was Steve (all cases were things a regular doctor wouldn’t do). And please, don’t remind me of this cold opening. A minute of dead air in one of the worst episodes yet.

And based on the comment above I imagine you gave 0/5 for yesterday’s episode. That was the third episode with a over-the-top ending in a short time. Weird.

@Martin_PrinceBR, True, but at the same time the episode was nothing besides the stock "Stan's an insufferable controlling asshole" kind of episode and it wasn't eliciting any kind of response from me (either good or bad).

My bad. But I agree that's probably one of the worst episodes of that season.

Well, as someone who just got done watching it (late getting online again), you bet your ass I gave it a 0/5! It's also the third episode this season I didn't even finish as I gave up after about 10 minutes and just skimmed through the rest.

From the episode basically rehashing Adventures in Hayleysitting, to too many TBS-isms, a cold open that gave Billy way more screentime than he deserved, really forced instances of "Pointless gore FTW!!!" and proving why Rogu is a total waste of thought (the only reason why he even is exists is that someone misspelled Roger and they thought that was hilarious enough to warrant their own Cousin Oliver), it's definitely somewhere in this season's bottom 10!

Pin Pal

Eight Fires was okay. Francine was herself and Roger wasn't an a-hole. He gave new meaning to eat me. That part was gross. The b plot was meh. We've seen this before. On Family Guy, Peter played the piano beautifully when he was drunk. Seeing that nail in Stan's head was creepy. This episode overall was meh.

The Hand That Rocks the Rogu was a guilty pleasure. It was a funny episode and managed to keep Steve likable for the most part, which is a rare thing. However the “subplot” with Stan was one of the worst in a while. A 8/10 I guess.

Also, no one watched Downtown? It was the last episode of this season that John95 could enjoy.

I just checked on Wikia and the last two episodes of the season have no set date to debut. I just hope it’s not a nine month hiatus.

@Martin_PrinceBR, The last two episodes have been delayed twice. They were originally set to air this week and the next respectively, then got delayed for next week and the week after and now currently don't have airdates.

It was stated at Comic-Con that the show would go into a small hiatus once this current season concluded before returning in the winter. And as I might've said on a previous post, one of the episodes for next season has a very Christmas like title.

Downtown has the smallest chance of being OK at best, but I'm not holding my breath considering how even I ended up hating the last Hayley centric episode. The best that Cheek to Cheek can hope to be is bad enough to only be boring to the point of making me fall asleep and/or turning the episode off.

Pin Pal

The Hand that Rocked the Rogu: It wasn't bad. The best part was when Rogu grew and I hate this character. Other than Stan being Peter 2.0 it was Meh.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4Vb9MnHVGW/

More evidence that TBS just doesn't have any fucking idea of what to do with the show, no more episodes until April!

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

Despite being the only animated show to air new episodes yearly (Close Enough being moved to HBO Max and Final Space moving to Adult Swim), TBS clearly don’t give a shit about animation anymore.
    Simpsons: 4 > 6 = 7 > 5 > 3 > 8 > 2 > 14 > 15 > 13 = 10 > 9 > 16 > 20 > 1 > 24 = 21 > 26 > 22 = 25 > 23 > 19 = 27 > 18 = 28 > 12 > 11 > 17 = 29

Family Guy: 4 > 3 > 2 > 1 > 5 = 6 > 15 > 16 > 10 > 14 > > 7 = 11 = 9 > 8 > 12 = 13

American Dad: 4 > 3 > 2 > 1 > 6 > 5 > 8 > 9 > 7 = 11 > 10 > 13 (so far) > 12

The Cleveland Show: 2 > 1 > 4 > 3

Futurama: 5 > 4 = 1 > 2 = 3 > 7 > 6

Rick and Morty: 2 > 1 > 3

I thought "Enter Stanman" was one of the best episodes in a long time. Felt like the old American Dad. And "The Hand That Rocks the Rogu" was pretty decent. But those are the only new episodes I've watched recently.

And I thought that they were both awful, with the latter being so bad that I couldn't even finish it!

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

American Dad this season 16 is awful, except Rabbit Ears and the one where Hailey and Jeff travel in the minvan. It's going for cheap laughs (something I watch family guy for) and the characters are unlikeable now. Stan used to be a loving father even if he made the wrong choices. Now, he has no consequences for his actions.

I'll stick to the fox seasons.

Thinking they won’t be back this year. I have to admit, with the promise of 31 episodes I believed the random gaps would finally stop. Too bad, but at least we had more episodes than the ridiculous 12 last year.

The show won't return until April. Here I was thinking they'd return around this time due to one if the upcoming titles being very Christmas like, but I guess now they'll be pulling a Gifted Me Liberty with that one.

At the very least, they just should've finished up this current season instead of holding the last two for eight months!

I hadn’t seen your previous post talking about them coming back in April. Anyway, just out of curiosity I listed the moments and duration of each TBS run hiatus:

(Same season) Dreaming a White Porsche Christmas - LGBSteve: almost 3 months;

(Between seasons) Seizure Suit Stanny - Roots: 7 months;

(Between seasons) Standard Deviation - Father’s Faze - 5 months;

(Same season) Ninety North, Zero West - Whole Slotta Love - 4 months;

(Between seasons) West to Mexico - Santa, Schmanta: 4 months;

(Same Season) Santa, Schmanta - Paranoid_Frandoid: 2 months;

(Same season) Mean Francine - One-Woman Swole: 9 months;

(Same season) The Hand that Rocks the Rogu - Downtown: 7 months.

All in all we get 41 months, which is about 3,4 years. So yeah, 68% of the TBS run is made up of gaps!

Quote Originally Posted by Martin_PrinceBR View Post
    I hadn’t seen your previous post talking about them coming back in April. Anyway, just out of curiosity I listed the moments and duration of each TBS run hiatus:

(Same season) Dreaming a White Porsche Christmas - LGBSteve: almost 3 months;

(Between seasons) Seizure Suit Stanny - Roots: 7 months;

(Between seasons) Standard Deviation - Father’s Faze - 5 months;

(Same season) Ninety North, Zero West - Whole Slotta Love - 4 months;

(Between seasons) West to Mexico - Santa, Schmanta: 4 months;

(Same Season) Santa, Schmanta - Paranoid_Frandoid: 2 months;

(Same season) Mean Francine - One-Woman Swole: 9 months;

(Same season) The Hand that Rocks the Rogu - Downtown: 7 months.

All in all we get 41 months, which is about 3,4 years. So yeah, 68% of the TBS run is made up of gaps!
    That's pretty sad, and the fact that they're holding back episodes from the same season for almost a year is ridiculous.

I know there was a time where the crew had about two seasons' worth of episodes saved up because Fox was holding a lot of them back, but I think TBS might be treating the show worse than they ever did. Or at least, their treatment has been more or less the same after the initial promotion for season ten.

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

American Dad renewed for 2 more seasons (up to season 18 or 19 not sure yet) on TBS. Not sure what this means. Will these be the last 2-3 seasons hopefully cause the show's been declining in quality recently.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...at-tbs-1269833

I am very happy with this news. American Dad! is currently the best animated show tied with Bob’s Burgers, IMO. But AD! is still my personal favorite. Even with the slight change of tone I thank TBS for not giving up on this fantastic show.

Pin Pal

Woohoo! I wasn't expecting this, considering season 15 (the one starting this year, ik sometimes the seasons are ordered differently) will end with the 300th episode and it could've been the perfect time to end the show, and TBS appeared to be losing interest, but I'm very happy about this. Probably the most underrated animated show still airing new episodes, also impressive that a show which flies under a lot of people's radar has made it 17 seasons.

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

I'm not surprised at the renewal, even though MacFarlane is moving on to NBCUniversial.

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

Happy 15th to American dad!

Thread Information