Page 165 of 167 FirstFirst ... 65115155156157158159160161162163164165166167 LastLast
Results 4,921 to 4,950 of 5000

Thread: American Dad! general discussion

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Into the Woods

Yet another episode that's such a pile of nothing that it's not even worth going into specifics about why it sucked.

0/5

By the way, @Martin_PrinceBR I've noticed you've yet to comment on any of the episodes since the show returned. Has it finally gotten to the point where you can't really find anything nice to say about it any more?
    Family Guy Season 18 Ratings - Yacht Rocky: 1.5/5 Bri-Da: 2.5/5 Absolutely Babulous: 1.5/5 Disney's The Reboot: 1.5/5 Cat Fight: 1.5/5 Peter & Lois' Wedding: .5/5 Heart Burn: 1.5/5 Shanksgiving: .5/5 Christmas is Coming: 2/5 Connie's Celica: 0/5 Short Cuts: 2/5 Undergrounded: 1.5/5 Rich Old Stewie: 3.5/5 The Movement: .5/5 Baby Stewie: 0/5 Start Me Up: 1/5 Coma Guy: 1/5 Better Off Meg: .5/5 Holy Bibble: 0/5 Movin' In (Principal Shepherd's Song): 0/5
    American Dad! Season 16 Ratings - 100 Years a Solid Fool: 0/5 A Starboy is Born: 1/5 Tapped Out: 0/5 Brave N00b World: 0/5 Into the Woods: 0/5 One Fish, Two Fish: 1.5/5 Exquisite Corpses: 2/5 Trophy Wife, Trophy Life: 1.5/5 Game Night: 2/5 American Data?: 0/5 Salute Your Sllort: 0/5 Ghost Dad: TBD Men II Boyz: TBD First, Do No Farm: TBD Roger Needs Dick: 0/5

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by John95 View Post
    Into the Woods

Yet another episode that's such a pile of nothing that it's not even worth going into specifics about why it sucked.

0/5

By the way, @Martin_PrinceBR I've noticed you've yet to comment on any of the episodes since the show returned. Has it finally gotten to the point where you can't really find anything nice to say about it any more?
    How many 0’s did you give last season? 7 episodes into season 17 and 4 of them are 0s.
    The Central, King of Harts, Burger-loving, American family guy.

CROSSING SWORDS SEASON 1 * PILOT 0/5 * EPISODE 2 0.5/5 * EPISODE 3 0/5 * EPISODE 4 0/5 * EPISODE 5 0/5 * EPISODE 6 0.5/5 * EPISODE 7 1/5

@orangemo, Gave 11 zeros last season, so half the episodes.

4. Thumbs Up To This Post by: orangemo

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

@orangemo, Gave 11 zeros last season, so half the episodes.
    Ouch that’s horrible. I would quit watching if I had to give 11 0s but I don’t think I gave any American Dad episode a 0, unless it’s just the writing being graded then yes I have.

By the way, @Martin_PrinceBR I've noticed you've yet to comment on any of the episodes since the show returned. Has it finally gotten to the point where you can't really find anything nice to say about it any more?[/QUOTE]

No, no, I still catch up the new episodes. Just too lazy to post a review, but here are my grades for this season’s episodes (still unsure if “Downtown” and “Cheek” are from this or the previous season):

100 Years a Solid Fool: 6/10 (boring, but better than Fantasy Baseball)
    Downtown: 10/10
    Cheek to Cheek: A Stripper’s Story: 6/10
    A Starboy is Born: 8/10 (guilty pleasure)
    *Tapped Out: 9/10
    Brave n00b World: 8/10 (the ending was lame).

*It seems like everyone hated this episode, but I don’t have so many reasons. I saw many commenting that Steve drinking Francine’s breast milk was disgusting, but it was bottled and the only scene where he drinks directly from her is implied. If I’m not mistaken there is an episode where Steve sings a song about being horny to Francine, and that’s much more uncomfortable for me than anything that happened in this episode. Kloger also happened, and I think we all agree that it was the peak of the cringe.

@Martin_PrinceBR, I thought 100 Years a Solid Fool was worse because unlike Fantasy Baseball there wasn't an entertaining subplot to make up for it (just some stupid bullshit about library cards that ends up going nowhere).

Most sources including the Wiki count Downtown and Cheek to Cheek: A Stripper's Story as part of last season like they were always intended to be (forcing you to wonder why they ended up delaying them for more than half a year).

I think most would agree that Tapped Out was worse than Is She Hot Enough? or Kloger because the former is just one scene in an otherwise stupid episode and take out the latter episode having the two of them make out, and it's just a run of the mill boring as shit episode. Meanwhile Tapped Out has more cringe and disturbing content like the aforementioned breast feeding (which actually happened twice, during the play and part of the documentary filming), long necked Stan, monkey faced Jeff and Francine eating bees to taint her milk sending Steve into a coma for a shit ending that's the pure definition of "Fuck it, why not?!".

I actually kind of liked the subplot, more because it fit well with the main plot. It’s pretty ridiculous: Steve and Francine became outcasts for being freaks, but the real ones were around (and nobody cares).

And at least Francine deserved the bees’ punishment for manipulating Steve. On the other hand, Stan poisoning her in A Starboy is Born was awful.

Pin Pal

I don't know what to say. Oh yeah!! BORING!!!! This was really bad. It would have been better if this guy had never met Stan. Stan not only acted like Peter but had some of Roger in him. He did things Roger would do and Stan was completely out of character. Getting this guy from getting a new job and burning down one of his restaraunts was something Roger would do. Francine is getting dumber every episode. When Stan found out he was the victim, he bolted into the woods. Stan was just plain creepy if he had just left the other alone, he would have been okay. This episode should have stayed in the woods. 0.0

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

Which one is the worst of the season so far for you guys? I honestly think Tapped Out and 100 Years a Fool were the worst, but Into the Woods and Cheek to Cheek come pretty close. I liked Downtown and Starboy.

@Martin_PrinceBR, Except that it wasn't the least bit funny and it's one single joke was was subtle as a brick being slammed in your face! At least we can agree on Stan poisoning Francine being awful and for me pretty much began a very "Meh" episode slowly getting worse especially with it's ending.

@orangemo, Yeah I'll also say Tapped Out's the worst so far this season. At much as I've hated all the other episodes barring A Starboy is Born (for the most part), at least those ones are just painfully boring (though Into the Woods becomes more irritating the further on it goes).

12. Thumbs Up To This Post by: orangemo

The worst for me was probably the premiere (haven’t watch Into the Woods yet). Stan & Roger episodes are hardly good these days. Roger works best in a solo episode or paired with any of the other Smiths, and Stan… well, the shorter your screen time, the better!

@Martin_PrinceBR, In that case you probably won't get much enjoyment from Into the Woods because it's one of those Stan episodes that annoyingly fixates on his fragile eggshell ego which makes the episode become more aggravating the further it drags on with little to no real jokes in sight.

15. Thumbs Up To This Post by: orangemo

Exquisite Corpses (6/15)
    Jeff, Francine and Roger decide to team up and start their own bus tour business, with murderous results.
    The key words of this synopsis are "Murderous results"... And not in a way that's positive so I'll be going into this with no expectations.

Pin Pal

Exquisite Corpses (6/15)

The key words of this synopsis are "Murderous results"... And not in a way that's positive so I'll be going into this with no expectations.
    My expectations will be low on this one. I hate it when everybody is a psychopath. It's not funny. I also agree with you John95. The less of Stan the better.

@Martin_PrinceBR, In that case you probably won't get much enjoyment from Into the Woods because it's one of those Stan episodes that annoyingly fixates on his fragile eggshell ego which makes the episode become more aggravating the further it drags on with little to no real jokes in sight.
    I just watched. It was quite an annoying episode until Tommy revealed to Stan that he was the loser and things improved from there. The ending with Francine made me laugh out loud. If it depended on the first 14 minutes, it would have been a 4/10 or 5/10, but seeing Stan being humiliated was very funny, so a 7/10 seems fair. And no subplots? Too bad it was in that disposable episode.

@Martin_PrinceBR, Even that didn't save it because once again his fucking fragile eggshell ego had to kick in for him to warp the events and have Francine pretty much go along with it which was just completely unfair. That said, that whole final act was just as shit as the first 2/3rds and it's like they just decided to go with that ending because they pretty much said "Fuck it! It's Friday and we all just want to go home!".

They advertised the dumb crap with Roger as a subplot and after watching the episode you're like "Why bother?". It was pretty much a less annoying version of the stupid baby shit from Rabbit Ears.

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

One Fish Two Fish

Pretty fun episode. I laughed quite a lot but I thought the subplot was just stupid as shit, though the Criss Angel part was pretty insane and fun. The main also didn't really have an ending either.

3.5/5 pretty good.

Wait, shouldn't it have been “Roger Needs Dick” yesterday? Whatever, I was looking forward to that Hayley & Klaus episode anyway.

@Martin_PrinceBR, Yeah the change was very last minute as they released a promo pic for Roger Needs Dick just mere hours before it was to air. For now I can't help but wonder if it was delayed because there was a joke or something in it that wasn't considered kosher in light of what's going on in the world right now (not COVID, but the fallout from George Floyd's death). Not a big deal though as the episode didn't look/sound like it was gonna be that good anyways. As for what we actually got:

One Fish, Two Fish

When I first heard about this episode I went in expecting it to at least be OK as episodes about Hayley or at least where she plays a big role tend to be the only ones that are even remotely worthwhile these days. And in the end, it only manages to accomplish the bare minimum of being just OK as while I wasn't bored with the main plot the episode as a whole suffers from most of the same problems that are the norm from the this era such as the bottom of the barrel subplot that exists for no reason other than the episode running a minute or so short, various TBSisms (not one, not two, but THREE forced uncensored "Shit!"s, repeated gags that weren't funny to begin with, an FG style bad joke that's then explained making said joke pointless, etc.) and like many episodes nowadays begins slowly getting worse around the end of the second act and never really recovers with the good stuff ending with the scene of Hayley & Klaus stranded in the desert and the bad stuff peaking with Klaus getting attacked by the scorpion and Hayley refusing to help him before ultimately culminating into an ending that easily rivals some of the worst from the Scully-era of The Simpsons in terms of how much of a pointless out of nowhere mindfuck it is!

But at the end of the day, at least this is the first episode of the season that I would actually consider somewhat passable (Downtown doesn't count since I'm still counting that as last season) for more reasons besides The Weeknd being a better actor than Lady Gaga. Though I would probably consider this to be this year's Rabbit Ears where even if you liked it the first time it's best not to rewatch it as it will only worsen upon repeated viewings.

1.5/5

Possible hottake: I'd rewatch Fleabiscuit even though there's more (annoying) Roger in the main plot over this if I were given the choice.

EDIT: Roger Needs Dick was still released on iTunes and based on it's new synopsis that the site provided... Yeah, we're not missing much. Sounds like a retread of Max Jets (which isn't a good thing because fuck that episode) in terms of the Smiths hating Roger's current relationship he's in and want to sabotage it and pretty much in line with some of last year's dumpster fires like Stompe le Monde and No Weddings and a Funeral where the Smiths are all unlikable assholes for no reason besides "Plot says so!".
    Last edited by John95; 06-02-2020 at 06:51 AM.

Pin Pal

I'll say this. This was a million times better than last week. It was nice to see Hayley help Klaus be an American citizen. We don't get much episodes involving Hayley and Klaus. I wished Hayley had helped Klaus find a human body and he would have been a human instead and Hayley wouldn't have been a fish. Now Hayley knows how Klaus feels but I hated it when Klaus got attacked by a scorpion. Hayley should have helped him. Now for the subplot. Two weeks ago we had another episode with a good main plot and a stupid subplot. Are the men in this family stupid now? Opening a coconut was worse than being in a bannister. Then Roger went psycho with that machine gun and putting Steve in a coma. WTF??!! Like the former episode 2 weeks ago, the main plot in this story should have been a full episode. I'm giving this a 2.5 because of the main plot and skip the subplot.

24. Thumbs Up To This Post by: orangemo

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

Roger Needs Dick

Overall it was alright. There were some funny moments in the episode like Hayley stripping, Klaus telling the family to bribe Dick with Kit Kats, or Roger saying in the cold open "I gotta go. I'm gonna get in an accident". but the story was pretty messy and barely held up, despite it not having a subplot either. It was basically Roger likes Dick, the Smith's frame him, then realize he's unhappy when Dick breaks up and dates another woman, so he makes it his goal to kill him. Definitely One FIsh, Two Fish was much better. The ending was predictable because we all know Roger wasn't gonna die. He would just go back to normal by the end and then that's it.

2.5/5

Roger Needs DIck

Might as well start with the only actual jokes that I was able to find:

*"Goddamnit!"
    * Two Days Ago on the newspaper in the photoshopped image.
    * The family's nonchalant reaction to how they had to save Dick from Roger ("Klaus already left to go warm up the car.")

I'll admit that this did turn out better than I thought it would be because it wasn't completely a rehash of Max Jets... That said, it still wasn't very good because as is the case with most Roger episodes it was pretty damn boring from start to finish and after about only five minutes I'd already checked out. On top of that, it was very repetitive especially in the first two acts which mostly comprised of one single joke for each (act 1 being Roger flaking on everyone and act 2 being him sobbing like a little bitch over saying the word "Dick!"). It's actually refreshing to see that this episode so far has gotten more mixed reviews and I agree with all that have said that this was pretty much The One That Got Away except without any reason to give a shit, though I'll also add that there's a bit of Jenny Fromdabloc sprinkled in for good measure (mainly for how Roger's persona dies at the end).

When compared to the rest of the season, it's better than Tapped Out, worse than 100 Years a Solid Fool and Brave N00b World but I'm undecided on whether it's better or worse than Into the Woods which was as tedious to sit through.

0/5

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

Roger Needs DIck

Might as well start with the only actual jokes that I was able to find:

*"Goddamnit!"
    * Two Days Ago on the newspaper in the photoshopped image.
    * The family's nonchalant reaction to how they had to save Dick from Roger ("Klaus already left to go warm up the car.")

I'll admit that this did turn out better than I thought it would be because it wasn't completely a rehash of Max Jets... That said, it still wasn't very good because as is the case with most Roger episodes it was pretty damn boring from start to finish and after about only five minutes I'd already checked out. On top of that, it was very repetitive especially in the first two acts which mostly comprised of one single joke for each (act 1 being Roger flaking on everyone and act 2 being him sobbing like a little bitch over saying the word "Dick!"). It's actually refreshing to see that this episode so far has gotten more mixed reviews and I agree with all that have said that this was pretty much The One That Got Away except without any reason to give a shit, though I'll also add that there's a bit of Jenny Fromdabloc sprinkled in for good measure (mainly for how Roger's persona dies at the end).

When compared to the rest of the season, it's better than Tapped Out, worse than 100 Years a Solid Fool and Brave N00b World but I'm undecided on whether it's better or worse than Into the Woods which was as tedious to sit through.

0/5
    Bubbleblabber gave it a 9.5/10 (they deleted the review for next week though).

Game Night (6/22)
    Stan drags the family to a labyrinth for family game night; Roger gets some geese.

29. Thumbs Up To This Post by: orangemo

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

Game Night (6/22)
    Could actually be decent this time.

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

Exquisite Corpses

Good. I actually legit laughed a few times and the story this time stuck to one plot so no stupid subplot. I hope they can keep up this streak of actually decent to good episodes. Really the only stinkers this season for me were 100 Years a Fool and Tapped Out (also including Downtown and Cheek to Cheek since they aired this year). I liked a lot of it from the 2 theme song goofs (Stan the quiet version and Steve singing his song after Stan leaves the house during the theme song). There were some funny stuff like Klaus putting Stan back on the line after he hung up, Roger saying "Fuck you" when Francine and Jeff say he has a big head, and the cutaway gag with the "Welcome bus" hot wheels track. I thought this was one of the better episodes in a while. I didn't the part where the store is demolished felt something like Family Guy does quite often.

4/5

Moe is their leader. Captain_Smiley's Avatar

Why wasn't 'Roger Needs Dick' shown on TBS?

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Smiley View Post
    Why wasn't 'Roger Needs Dick' shown on TBS?
    Not sure it may have likely been postponed due to the planned murder shown at the end but overall don’t quote me on that.

34. Thumbs Up To This Post by: John95

@Captain_Smiley, It's believed that it has to do with Stan's line at the beginning about kneeling during the national anthem.

Exquisite Corpses

Since I consider Downtown to be part of last season, I would say that this was the first episode of the season that I thought was decent enough to be one that I see myself revisiting at a later date. For the most part I was digging the episode mainly for pairing up Francine with Jeff again which I wasn't expecting to happen so soon after last year's Wild Women Do and Roger being in a main role was actually tolerable which I've noticed seems to be happening a little more (even in episodes that are awful like Tapped Out). Unfortunately like many an episode from the show in later years (even the good ones), things fall apart around the end of act 2 with the killer becoming part of the tour group and forcing them to his lair only to then in turn be murdered by said group in an ending that feels like a low-tier one I'd expect from the Scully-era (meaning that while it's not as "WTF?!" as horse jockeys turning out to be elves, it's about the same level of dumb as a Jane Goodall Expy bribing everyone to keep quiet about enslaving gorillas with diamonds) and also reeked of the classic modern AD! staple of them resorting to "Pointless gore FTW!!" because they slammed themselves into a wall and couldn't think of another way around it (though at least most of the gore was off-screen this time around). The scene at the end with Hayley & Jeff was sweet though as was the other scenes with them in this episode.

2/5

Quote Originally Posted by orangemo View Post
    I didn't the part where the store is demolished felt something like Family Guy does quite often.
    For the most part I actually didn't mind the Radioshack bit, though what you said about it being FG-esque I'd apply to the pawn shop scene and both were also indicative of another problem they've taken from that show as part of currently being Family Guy 2.0 which is not knowing when to have a joke/scene end (the evil challis in the pawn shop and the second wrecking ball at Radioshack, both were pointless and should've been cut).

Also, to anyone that's expecting Roger Needs Dick to air next week, don't hold your breath because it's being delayed for the third week in a row in favor of:

Trophy Wife, Trophy Life (6/15)
    After Stan is injured, Francine nurses him back to health and he becomes dependent to her. The family discovers Tuttle is a Korean reality show star.

37. Thumbs Up To This Post by: orangemo

Thread Information