Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Beast Wars

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

on a trip to squaresville Prune Tracy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

For the record, I loved the part where she cunningly blew Terrorsaur off the island. She's really going up as a character in my books.

Your explanation makes sense, I suppose.

2. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Dobbie

Blog Entries

Potential avatar again:

Uhhhh... yeeeesss...I FEEL the power. I have the control! Let there be...light.
    Whoa!

Blog Entries

-Spider's Game-

Hehe, love the new character introduced in this one. Not a serious character, but one that brings an interesting dynamic to the Predacon team.

As for the plot itself, we start off with Tarantulas scheming once more. Like he did in the Spark, he's looking out for stasis pods. This time however, he's prepared. He shuts the power off both bases, thus meaning that he's the only one that can possibly know about the exact landing location...until a certain white tiger makes an appearance!

So the episode focuses on the spider's character. He hints his ambition many times in the episode, and the cliffhanger ending is a perfect set-up for the real Beast Wars to begin in episode 24. This is the first episode that indicates that Tarantulas is truly insane and that he knows that the other Transformers do not.

Besides that, we get Tigatron getting brutally vaporized by almost every single Predacon in existence. Scorponok makes cameos: To fall down his platform, get knocked over by an explosion and smashed by a rock...fun appearance for him!

Waspinator gets a random, yet sastifying appearance. Blackarachnia actually plays a somewhat important role in this episode, and the new character has his moments in the spotlight - hinting about his, say, 'malfonctions' that's later exploited for the comedic side of the show.

Overall, a decent episode. The plot moves forward a little and we get some fun moments and quotes and a new character. A 7.5/10

Hired Goon
    Blog Entries

My first impressions with episode 1, part 1? Honestly, I can't really say I was ever a fan of this particular genre of shows as a kid, nor can I really say I am a fan now. Honestly, it all felt rather weak to me. However, I can appreciate it in a kind of "campy" fashion in that the CGI looks really crude compared to today's standards. I felt myself paying more attention to that than the actual show, to be honest. I also liked the feel that I was watching a cutscene from a video game, thought that also might be because of the CGI. I might have to give it a rewatch sometime to see if I really can appreciate the show its self and now just how it looks.
    My Simpsons Season Rankings:
    6 > 7 > 3 > 5 > 8 > 4 > 2 > 1 > 9 > 15 > 13 > 14 > 10 > 16 > 12 > 11 > 22 > 21 > 17 > 25 > 24 > 18 > 26 > 20 > 19 > 23

Quote Originally Posted by handsome
    honestly the most burning question i had about you was if you had seen every disney movie so i'm glad that got out of the way first

Blog Entries

The first few episodes are pretty poor, so you get no argument from me!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by scarevine_11 View Post
    My first impressions with episode 1, part 1? Honestly, I can't really say I was ever a fan of this particular genre of shows as a kid, nor can I really say I am a fan now. Honestly, it all felt rather weak to me. However, I can appreciate it in a kind of "campy" fashion in that the CGI looks really crude compared to today's standards. I felt myself paying more attention to that than the actual show, to be honest. I also liked the feel that I was watching a cutscene from a video game, thought that also might be because of the CGI. I might have to give it a rewatch sometime to see if I really can appreciate the show its self and now just how it looks.
    A treacherous, underhanded sneak attack! Hohoho, I like you, pussycat. Yess

Blog Entries

Spiders Game

Seeing as Tarantulas and Blackarachnia are probably my two favourite Predacons at the moment, I greatly enjoyed this episode. Not sure what to think of Inferno yet, but I'm sure it'll be interesting.

Oh, and I'm shipping Tigatron and Airazor. They would make such a cute couple! It's hard to believe I feel this way about robots, but when it's well written like this, I feel no shame.

I would have liked to see some punishment for Tartantulas and Blackarachnia, or at least a confrontation. But what I got was pretty good. It's clear now what Tarantulas's intentions are, though I';m not quite sure what his intentions are with Blackarachnia...

A-

Call of the Wild

An interesting episode, this one. It probably solidifies why Tigatron is one of my favourites; he has this zen-like quality to him that other characters seem to lack. It's probably from his experience with nature, and I like it. Oh, and "let's kick some butt!" coming from him was terrific!

I felt the dream sequences kind of dragged, but this episode progressed nicely. It was interesting to find out that the reason that Beast Mode overtook the Maximals was because they were fighting it. Who better than Tigatron to figure this out?

Airazor was great in this one too. I love her unabashed contempt for the Predacons. She's obviously smarter than their defense system.

The "hunting" thing that the Predacons were doing was a little cheesy, but it also managed to be rather dark, which I like. It created a near-hopeless situation for the Maximals, what with their Beast Mode taking over and leaving them defenseless. All in all, great episode.

A-

9. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Dobbie

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shiviera View Post
    Spiders Game

Oh, and I'm shipping Tigatron and Airazor. They would make such a cute couple! It's hard to believe I feel this way about robots, but when it's well written like this, I feel no shame.
    Correct.

I would have liked to see some punishment for Tartantulas and Blackarachnia, or at least a confrontation
    But that would ruin episode 24-27!

But what I got was pretty good. It's clear now what Tarantulas's intentions are, though I';m not quite sure what his intentions are with Blackarachnia...
    Tarantulas' intentions with her was to make her his mate and partner. Unfortunetely for him that didn't exactly work out for him. However, that 'relationship' is developed further as the series' goes on.

interesting episode, this one. It probably solidifies why Tigatron is one of my favourites; he has this zen-like quality to him that other characters seem to lack. It's probably from his experience with nature, and I like it. Oh, and "let's kick some butt!" coming from him was terrific!
    Agreed. Perfect delivery from Blu Mankuma there!

I felt the dream sequences kind of dragged, but this episode progressed nicely. It was interesting to find out that the reason that Beast Mode overtook the Maximals was because they were fighting it. Who better than Tigatron to figure this out?
    Aww I liked Dinobot torturing a 'deer' in his dream! This was probably his biggest role in the last 4/5 episodes...and he didn't even speak!

Airazor was great in this one too. I love her unabashed contempt for the Predacons. She's obviously smarter than their defense system.
    She even broke the sound barrier! Loved the little gag with the 'stealth' gun near the rectifier coil.

The "hunting" thing that the Predacons were doing was a little cheesy, but it also managed to be rather dark, which I like. It created a near-hopeless situation for the Maximals, what with their Beast Mode taking over and leaving them defenseless. All in all, great episode.
    One thing that I find odd with those segments is the fact that Tarantulas is carrying Megatron with Scorponok. Surely Inferno would be more logical? Oh well, maybe he was basicially forced into doing that, and at the moment he doesn't want to give away his position/intentions.

Blog Entries

@Shiviera, some notes about Call of the Wild:

This episode marks the only use of Megatron's right arm-mounted missile launcher, which fires from the same port the laser beam emanates from

When Optimus is dreaming in his quarters, the plant that Dinobot left for him at the end of "Gorilla Warfare" is still seen next to his bed.

This episode explores many themes that several of the same characters would later explore in Beast Machines. The idea of the Maximals taking on more bestial personalities because of their beast modes is used in the episode "Forbidden Fruit". A similar concept would have been touched on in the unproduced Beast Wars episode "A Greater Ape".

When the Maximal computer announces that the Predacons are withdrawing from the area, text in the Maximal version of the Cybertronix language scrolls by the bottom of the screen, and more text flashes in blue in the middle of the screen. The blue flashing text reads "area clear", and the text on the bottom reads "its been a long time since ive had sweet thistle pie".

When Megatron "suggests" to his troops to laugh with him, Blackarachnia is the only one who refuses to pay him that courtesy. Clearly, Dinobot is not the only who's got some bearings of chrome steel.

And Spider's Game:

While Megatron is complaining that repairing the computer is Tarantulas's job, you can see the words "eat me" on the screen in the Predacon variant of Cybertronix.

This is the only episode of the series in which Scott McNeil voices just one character (specifically, Waspinator). The other fifty-one episodes saw him voicing two to four characters.

This is the first episode of the series to not feature Rattrap, Cheetor, or Terrorsaur.

It can be speculated that Inferno's faulty programming can be attributed to his pod already selecting his beast mode before Tarantulas began the reprogramming sequence. It is possible that without the Maximal or Predacon programming chips the pod began to program him with the basic instincts of an ant.

Curiously, when Tigatron is injured near the end of the episode, his beast mode's face (which serves as his robot mode's chestplate) appears to be bleeding. Unless mech fluid happens to be red, this either this contradicts what Cheetor said to Tarantulas in an earlier episode when he said "I don't have real blood... only mech fluid.", or this lends credence to the theory that beast modes are wholly organic.

A toilet flushing can be heard right before Optimus Primal asks Rhinox why the power is out. Optimus states that he was running a "strategic simulation."

Blog Entries

-Call of the Wild-

Let's take another break from the plot and use more experimental plots. Thankfully, this starts what you could say the last 'group' of these kind of episodes. While they are still present in the future, they're rare and don't follow each other!

Anyway, I personally thought that I originally underrated this one. Sure, it's not the best, but the atmosphere is superb and the episode flows superbly well. The battle scene with the Maximals was very creative and they didn't waste too much time on it, which makes it even sweeter!

We also get a few dream sequences which I thought were quite good. Dinobot brutally murdering that 'deer', Cheetor falling into lava and a gorilla using vines to get across trees. What a treat!

Some great quotes and gags. The aforementioned Tigatron quote 'but for now, let us maximise...AND SLAG SOME BUTT!'. Thank god for Tigatron otherwise the Maximals would be slagged by the episode's end!

But besides that, we also get:

-Airazor and the Predacon defences. As I've said a few minutes ago, I loved her blowing up that 'sneaky' gun and breaking the sound barrier.
    -Megatron demanding his troops to laugh, and Scorponok falling down with that cheeky noise.
    -Terrorsaur's quote 'Hunting in the air with automatic weapons - now that's a sport!'
    -Dinobot throwing Tarantulas into the cliff at the start of the episode.
    -Waspinator getting slagged by Optimus.
    -Terrorsaur seemingly having good aim. He literally slagged Optimus and Airazor without too much effort!
    -The hunt. Blackarachnia on the drums, specificially.
    -Rattrap's line about being proud of being a rat, with Dinobot saying 'Humph, I do not see why!' (oh yeah he did speak! My bad...)
    -Megatron's line 'BLAST! Oh well, as they say, try and try again...'. I like how Kaye delivers that line!

A surprinsingly entertaining and well directed episode that went up in my rankings with this run. A 7.5/10

Blog Entries

Dark Voyage

Another great episode! It kind of has the same theme as Call of the Wild, but it was different enough that it didn't seem like a rehash.

The plot progressed along nicely, with the Maximals getting into one predicament after another. It was a good thing Optimus arrived when he did.

I loved Dinobot freaking out that he couldn't see. I don't think I've ever seen him so panicky.

I also liked how this episode focused back on the original characters. While I do like the new additions, it's nice to see how the show once was.

A

Blog Entries

-Dark Voyage-

That picture is quite avatar-worthy, actually...

But another episode which the writers had fun with. A group of Maximals are blinded by Scorponok and must get back to the base. Rhinox takes command, but with a few bad eggs with him and pesky Predacons hunting them down, it may not be easy...

Dinobot was a bit strange in this one. I did like it when he:

1) "What a startling relevation!"
    2) Ran into a tree and became thin as paper
    3) Calm...down...? WE CAN'T SEE!

Otherwise, we get a bit of Rhinox development here. A bit of a commander-gig he has hidden inside him which will be used for a short time in the future. Waspinator was quite present in this one:

'Waspiantor sick of stupid Maximals! This time, will make sure of their destruction!

A gag-ridden episode that flows alright and it has it's moments. A good ending as well. SImple, and effective.

7/10

Blog Entries

Possession

So, this is my first experience with bots from another series. StarScream is definitely an interesting character, and I'd love to see him return.

With all the treachery going around with the Predacons, it's getting hard to tell who's on whose side. It's like they're all in it for themselves (disregarding Scorpinok, who remains ever the yes-man to Megatron's command).

Some good lines in this episode ("Waspinator has a headache in his whole body!") and some cheesy ones ("Hasta la vista, StarScream"? Come on, Optimus!) but an overall great episode.

A

Blog Entries

Possession

With all the treachery going around with the Predacons, it's getting hard to tell who's on whose side. It's like they're all in it for themselves (disregarding Scorpinok, who remains ever the yes-man to Megatron's command).
    Pretty much yes. Basicially Scorponok and Inferno are Megatron's bum lickers while Tarantulas, Blackarachnia and Terrorsaur all have their own agendas. Waspinator isn't exactly loyal to Megatron but he never tries to betray him either.

Some good lines in this episode ("Waspinator has a headache in his whole body!") and some cheesy ones ("Hasta la vista, StarScream"? Come on, Optimus!) but an overall great episode.
    Did you see the sunglasses Optimus had when he started to fly away?

Blog Entries

-Possession-

Ah Starscream. Your time on this show was short, but memorable.

Our first history lesson and link between the Beast Wars and the original G1 story arc. Now we know that the Autobots and Maximals are 'related', and likewise for the Predacons with the Decepticons. Keep that in mind, as it's an important plot device!

Well here we get a decent episode centering around Wasp...Starscream and Blackarachnia. I personally thought it was clever of them to use her in this episode. She's a smooth and intelligent character and besides Tarantulas and Megatron, she was the only one smart enough to actually check his files. The ending was a very sastifying way to end the story.

Pretty interesting that Starscream didn't possess Terrorsaur instead. Doug Parker voiced both of them in this episode and the Transformers fandom sees Terrorsaur as the descendant of Starscream (both want power, but aren't exactly the brightest)

Also where was Inferno? If this episode was made just before 'Before the Storm' the abscence would have made sense! But right now it just feels like they forgot to write him into the story!

But anyway, a good episode with a story that keeps you interested as the Decepticons make their first steps into the Beast Wars. A solid 7.5 from me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Pinkman View Post
    Did you see the sunglasses Optimus had when he started to fly away?
    No, I didn't! He had sunglasses?

Blog Entries

I couldn't find an image, but...

Freeze the video at 2:39

Blog Entries

The Low Road

Dinobot and Rattrap's banter is always good, and damn, this episode is full of it! My new favourite insult is Dinobot's "EATER OF GARBAGE!"

Pretty decent all the way through. Lots of funny moments, such as the aforementioned banter, Rattrap and Duinobot punching Tarantulas out, somebody finally asking why Megatron talks to himself, and of course, the big payoff.

Oh no... not that.

I think @Jesse Pinkman may have warned me about this ending, but I actually enjoyed it. The entire episode was pretty silly, and this was just the icing on the cake.

A

21. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Dobbie

Blog Entries

Well I did say it splits opinion, @Shiviera! I don't mind it. The fact that the Predacons get blown away by an energon fart is amusing in itself.

One thing I liked was Tarantulas getting slagged consistently during the episode.

1) Damaged by Dinobot in the first skirmish.
    2) Run over by a rolling boulder
    3) Knocked out by both Rattrap and Dinobot
    4) Literally blown up to little pieces by Megatron

'DO NOT FIRE MEGATRON! I HAVE A HOSTAGE.'

'Why so you dooo...*bam*. Great work by Kaye!

Quotable in the every day life IMO. The first one to appear in the Beast Wars I think! Can you imagine saying that to your friends?!

Terrorsaur getting cooked. Pterodactyl hot wings anyone? (omg Dark Designs reference)

Blog Entries

-The Low Road-

A weird episode. Another one of these cases in which the writers and voice actors probably had fun doing!

For an episode that's basicially devoted to a rhinocerous farting and Scott McNeil arguing with himself it was pretty impressive! Some clever moments, like Blackarachnia asking Megatron the question that everybody wanted to know the answer to, Tarantulas getting brutally slagged during the entire episode, the fart, the tree, the banter between DInobot and Rattrap, etc...it flowed pretty well!

One thing that annoyed me was the Maximals asking Rhinox to stay behind, and all of a sudden he appeared alongside them! Maybe he joined them after eating all of the beans though.

A gag-driven episode with a strange plot that develops the best rivalry on the show, with a few funny quotes and gags, it definitely does it's job. While I've seen better, it's one of those light-hearted episodes that you can simply sit down to and enjoy how crazy it is in principle.

7.5/10

Blog Entries

-Law of the Jungle-

You know, after rewatching it, I think it's probably my favourite episode of season 1 now. It's pretty deep, interesting and you could feel bad for a certain white tiger in this episode.

After an unexpected Predacon ambush, Cheetor and Dinobot are damaged in battle. Tigatron comes to the rescue and deals with the pesky Predacons. However, the battle cost him a friend, and Tigatron quits the Beast Wars after feeling guilty about his actions to the world and comrade. Upon hearing that he quits the Maximals, Dinobot sets up to stalk him and to convince him to stay.

This is the first time that death is exploited in the show (unless you count Dinobot's clone) and it's done really well. You could feel bad for Tigatron. After all, he was his travelling companion, and I thought that they used the Tigatron-Dinobot dynamic quite well here. The former is a peace, nature-loving bot while the latter is a proud, aggressive warrior. You can understand the personalities spliting in an argument that both bots see through a different point of view.

The Predacons that appeared in this episode were quite retarded for some reason. I mean, it fits Inferno, but the other two acted a bit too crazy for my liking! That said they did cause a few funny moments - Waspinator and the signal, Terrorsaur using Inferno's term to describe Megatron, etc.

For an episode that follows The Low Road, it's quite dark and mindblowing. I enjoyed the entire episode! 8.5/10

Banned
    Blog Entries

Beast Wars was cutting edge back then, as it was the second thing to be in CGI on T.V. ever.

Each episode cost millions... all the budget went to the character models.

If you don't like something... don't watch it.

Law of the Jungle kind is particular to me cause it make me think Maximal/Autobot and Predacon/Decepticon are to the point they see conflict as within the natural order of things, you litterally need to be born on another planet in order to feel somewhat neutral (but I haven't seen it the episode in a while) they don't really fit over anything as much as conflict is what they always will be doing.

Hired Goon
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MuchAdoAboutNothing View Post
    Beast Wars was cutting edge back then, as it was the second thing to be in CGI on T.V. ever.

Each episode cost millions... all the budget went to the character models.

If you don't like something... don't watch it.
    I wasn't attacking the show. Somebody recommended to me and I gave my honest first impression. Jesse said the first episode was weak, anyway. I might end up changing my mind when I watch more.

28. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Dobbie

Blog Entries

The first few episodes are weak. I think everyone, even @Shiviera who gave it a A I think (probably went down since then in fairness), will agree!

Blog Entries

I think it was a B+, actually. Regardless, it still went down, definitely.

Anyway, here's my review for Law of the Jungle:

Great episode! It explored Tigatron's character immaculately. The death of his friend really opened new doors for the series as Tigatron expresses how vulnerable the planet and the creatures on it are, as a result of the Beast Wars. Everything that came out of him was brilliant.

One thing that was weird about the episode though was the Predacons, especially Waspinator. Was he like, talking to the camera or something? It was like he was putting on a documentary for the first bit. Nevertheless, a great episode with great characterization.

A

31. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Dobbie

Blog Entries

Like I said, they found meth or weed.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I wasn't attacking the show. Somebody recommended to me and I gave my honest first impression. Jesse said the first episode was weak, anyway. I might end up changing my mind when I watch more.

Please wait until season two is over before you decide if the show is for you or not.
    Last edited by The Angry Animated Comedy Nerd; 10-17-2012 at 05:26 PM.

34. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Dobbie

Blog Entries

Before the Storm

Oh, Optimus. You just had to get your catchphrase in before the episode ended, didn't you?

While a little cheesy in parts such as that, this was still an enjoyable episode with a great cliffhanger. Some highlights were Inferno calling Megatron his "queen" (and Megatron's disgusted reaction) and Terrorsaur and Skorponok crashing into each other.

One thing I noticed during this episode is that Megatron's head appears to be conscious even when he's terrorized! Has this been gonig on since the beginning, or is it a new development. I did enjoy how he treated it like a pet.

Overall excellent episode.

A+

Oh, and I love Optimus's little wave. Tell me he does more of that in the future.

Blog Entries

Before the Storm

Oh, Optimus. You just had to get your catchphrase in before the episode ended, didn't you?
    It was fitting this time!

While a little cheesy in parts such as that, this was still an enjoyable episode with a great cliffhanger. Some highlights were Inferno calling Megatron his "queen" (and Megatron's disgusted reaction) and Terrorsaur and Skorponok crashing into each other.
    I guess they couldn't really do much with this being the first episode of a six-episode mini series (basicially) but it still was still well structured and directed. I thought every character was used well in this one.

One thing I noticed during this episode is that Megatron's head appears to be conscious even when he's terrorized! Has this been gonig on since the beginning, or is it a new development. I did enjoy how he treated it like a pet.
    The eye of his dinosaur head did move in the Low Road but I think he was in Beast Mode so not the same thing really. I think it's just an one-off gag although it probably happened in the past and I don't remember it.

Oh, and I love Optimus's little wave. Tell me he does more of that in the future.
    Fair play for discovering that subtle part there! Well Optimus does many subtle/cheesy things in general. The sunglasses in Possession for example, and Victory's ending...

Thread Information