Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Beast Wars

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

on a trip to squaresville Prune Tracy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbie View Post
    The Terrorsaur-Megatron combo is actually touched upon in the next episode by the way. With a more sastifying ending that isn't a cliffhanger like Power Surge.
    Good to hear. I'll catch the next episode tomorrow.

Blog Entries

Be prepared to meet a new character as well, with a bit more....'pieces'.

Blog Entries

Fear not, Optimus! I shall ensure your funeral is a glorious one, as befits a warrior who died in battle!
    'Fraid I'll have to miss it, Dinobot; I'm not scrap yet!
    Hmm, are you certain? It would be a triumphant passage.

No excuses, you pathetic rodent. Keep moving. Dinobot, out.
    HEY! You can just kiss my pink, hairless—

Really liked how McNeil said pathetic in Dinobot's voice. Whoooooa.

Also @Riviera:

Perhaps an hint of something peculiar?

One of my fav moments in the episode -

Blog Entries

-A Better Mousetrap-

You could tell that the writers wanted to use Rattrap in this one. The plot, the stunts they made him go through. Essentially a very light-hearted episode that they probably had fun doing!

It also had a small subplot, probably only to use the Predacons. We get our first look of Tigatron in battle and in the Beast Wars since his introduction in Fallen Comrades. We also get the other new character in Double Jeopardy! That said it is filler, but I suppose I liked how they managed to put Tigatron in the ending after that small plot device ended. A few random Waspinator moments and a few lines from Terrorsaur...besides that the Predacons didn't even appear! No Megatron, no Tarantulas and no Scorponok whatsoever!

With that said, it has one of the best endings of the early BW episodes. Scott McNeil really hit his part at the end, and I guess Rhinox's line before it was pretty amusing!

So a light-hearted episode that focuses on Rattrap once more and the role that they used on him in the previous episode. It was also nice to see a bit of Tigatron and the new character (c'mon @Riviera, don't keep me making it a mystery forever! ) in action. And despite the story being more 'gag-ridden' it actually does introduce something rather important - Sentinel.

A 7/10. It was OK but there's a lot better in the series. The next episode, Gorilla Warfare, is the first episode that's great in my book!

Blog Entries

Double Jeopardy

This is definitely my favourite episode thus far. It just worked on so many levels: the "betrayal", Terrorsaur wanting to be leader once again, the comedic failure of his reign. A betrayal was a great idea, even if it was all a setup. I kind of guessed that Rattrap had something going on, but I didn't speculate that Optimus was in on it too.

Oh, by the way, Optimus just upped the cheese factor with "Well, that's just prime." Lawlz.

Anyway, amazing episode.

A+

Oh, and the new character is alright.

6. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Dobbie

Blog Entries

-Gorilla Warfare-

What can I say? This episode is simply great. An interesting plot device, some great gags and quotes. And some bad-ass action from a berserk Optimus Primal.

"Just because we bumped into Predacons is no reason to stop learning new things." - Optimus
    "Well, if we encounter any of Megatron's forces, you may learn that it is unwise to dally with plants" - Dinobot

"Yeeesss, from now on, I shoot my dinner salad before I eat it!"- Dinobot

"As much as I'd love to see the both of you scrap yourselves, save it for my birthday." - Rattrap

Rhinox: "Optimus would get blown to scrap. Big problem."
    Dinobot: "Well, that depends on your viewpoint."
    Rattrap: "Hey hey hey shut up!"

'No doubt that was it's intention! But Scorponok is notoriously incompetant!" - Dinobot

Tarantulas and Waspinator both getting brutally slagged by Optimus, Dinobot and the seed, Optimus' freak-out and probably more that I forgot. Brilliant!

And I loved the character development between Optimus-Cheetor and Optimus-Dinobot. Possibly the deepest they've gone into character development in the first 10 episodes!

As I previously said, this is the first great Beast Wars episode in my book. An episode full of gags, quotes and action, with some sentiment and good character development between some of the characters thrown in. They even tie in together the beginning and the ending to make for a very strong ending. 8.5/10. It's one of, if not THE strongest episode of season 1...but there's better episodes in season 2 believe it or not!

Blog Entries

A Better Mouse Trap

Yay, another Rattrap-centric episode! If I had to pick a favourite character at this moment, I'd pick him. He always gets the best lines, and despite being difficult, is loyal to the team. I think he's probably the most well-rounded character.

This episode turned out to be another great one, with some awesome Rattrap one-liners ("Optimus Pinhead", tee-hee) and two great storylines. This episode has also made me appreciate Blackarachnia more, as she is beginning to develop as a serious villain.

I was really sad when I thought that Rattrap was dead, but overjoyed when I found out he was alive! It also made for more sarcastic Rattrap, with his fake crying and whatnot. Finally, I also enjoyed seeing Tigatron again. Overall, excellent episode.

A+

9. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Dobbie

Blog Entries

Gorilla Warfare will surely get a A+++

Blog Entries

@Dobbie will appreciate this... I did a double dose of BW today!

Gorilla Warfare

Wow. What an episode! So amazing. The plotline, the characterization, the suspense. I loved every second of it!

It was great how the bug or whatever allowed for a different characterization of Optimus, while still trying to retain his old characterization. Cheetor's concern was really touching. You get the sense that he really cares about and looks up to his leader. Another thing I enjoyed was the beginning, where it is reaffirmed what the original purpose of Optimus's expedition was. I thought that was nice, and it was good to see yet another side of him through his fascination with nature.

Dinobot shone here as well, especially at the end. Loved his little smile! While I still question his motives, I really liked him here.

And of course, we have Scorpinok screwing up once again. While Waspinator is still my favourite of the dumb villains, Scorpinok has his moments, and here was one of them.

Breathtakingly amazing, and possibly my new favourite.

A+

12. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Dobbie

Blog Entries

Fucking hell I didn't expect that! Next you'll tell me you watched the Probe too!

But yes Gorilla Warfare is a very strong episode. One of my faves in season 1!

'GET IT OOOOOOFFFFFFF!'

And yeah the emotions and sentiment between some of the characters were used very well.

Blog Entries

Fucking hell I didn't expect that! Next you'll tell me you watched the Probe too!
    Nah, saving that one for tomorrow. :P

Blog Entries

The Probe

Well, after three stellar episodes, this one was... kinda a disappointment. Oh, it was still good, but not as good as the last three.

I do like the love/hate relationship Dinobot and Rattrap have going on. When they gave thumbs up to each other, it was so cute!

Other than that, this episode was good, but not great. I did like how they included all the characters thus far, and Waspinator continues to amuse me. But I didn't think there were as many exciting moments as there were before. Also, that ending kind of annoyed me, because four of the Maximals never recovered from being unable to transform! It bothers me because I know it's going to be another unresolved cliffhanger in the next episode, notably because they would have to invade the Predacon base to get back to normal.

Whatever. Still a good episode, but I've seen better.

B+

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Riviera View Post
    The Probe

Other than that, this episode was good, but not great. I did like how they included all the characters thus far, and Waspinator continues to amuse me. But I didn't think there were as many exciting moments as there were before. Also, that ending kind of annoyed me, because four of the Maximals never recovered from being unable to transform! It bothers me because I know it's going to be another unresolved cliffhanger in the next episode, notably because they would have to invade the Predacon base to get back to normal.
    That's actually not true! The Maximals have their own restoration chambers in the Axalon!

Tigatron and Cheetor only used the Predacons' because they were unguarded and it would have saved a lot of time.

Blog Entries

Ah, my mistake. Well, it doesn't annoy me as much now.

Blog Entries

To be fair the Maximals' restoration chamber has rarely been used so far.

I can remember Optimus and Dinobot using it in Fallen Comrades and Optimus again in the previous episode. Otherwise, not so much yet!

Blog Entries

-The Probe-

Well this episode was kinda of a letdown. I just can't help but feel that it wasn't written at the same time as Gorilla Warfare. That episode is fantastic while this one is...bland. Very bland in fact.

That said we did have a few good moments: Scorponok getting his claw blown up was the moment of the episode, and the Dinobot and Rattrap relationship was expanded further here. Tarantulas was decent in this episode...really liked how crazy he sounded when he was 'strangling' Optimus.

One of the weaker episodes in season 1. I think that Victory uses the 'we're going home!' storyline better. A 6/10...maybe a bit generous.

Did anyone notice the play-on-names in this one? Dinobore, Dinoboob, Megadork...eh. I liked the first one...not sure about the other two!

Also, a few facts since @Riviera watched the episode:

Tigatron's exclamation of "By the Matrix, what's happening?!" is the first reference to the various meanings of Matrix to show up in the series.

On home video, the running order of this episode and "A Better Mousetrap" are consistently switched. The exception is the American Kid Rhino DVD release of Season 1, in which this episode appears after "Double Jeopardy". This is particularly noticeable in the presence of the Sentinel defense system before its introductory episode. However, the Madman release for Australia has this episode appearing in the proper place.

Scorponok's black and white POV shot has purple Cybertronix text on the bottom. It translates to "f**k".

A more clever use of Cybertronix comes when Rhinox identifies the probe. The text scrolling on the bottom repeats "ceci est un alphabet tres bizarre et je ne comprends rien", French for "This is a very odd alphabet, and I do not understand anything".

Scorponok can apparently transfer recordings to the little disk bearing the Predacon insignia on his chest. The disk can be detached and taken back to base. Maybe his cyberbees were being repaired at the time?

Many (but not all) scenes with Blackarachnia were taken out for the Alliance Video VHS release of this episode, as her introductory episode was not included on the same tape.

In a neat little bit of continuity, when Blackarachnia is about to be shot off a cliff by Rattrap, Scorponok's body is barely visible at the bottom. He's even missing the claw that was blown off by Rattrap earlier in the episode!

Cheetor may know where the Predacon's CR Chamber is due to the events of "Equal Measures", when he was chased through much of the Predacon base

Blog Entries

I was tagged so I came.

Not in that way, get your mind out of the gutter.

Quote Originally Posted by zachbigmac View Post
    @Swoony your just a poser and dont tell me
    your not cause i can read you like a fucking book.

21. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Dobbie

Blog Entries

Only thing left to do...

Watch the series!

BW shall come back from the dead...

Blog Entries

Is this a new show?

Blog Entries

Definitely not.

Blog Entries

Is the guy in your avatar from it?

Blog Entries

Yes.

The animation is actually quite stunning for a show that was on air between 1996-1999

Blog Entries

Yeah it does look pretty good for that long ago.

I'll watch it if I find any eps on youtube.

Blog Entries

They're all on there!

Riviera's been watching the first 11 episodes and he's been impressed. I warned thee though the first few episodes are pretty weak.

In fact I'd be curious to know if any of the earlier episodes went down in grading since then. @Riviera?

Blog Entries

That's awesome then. I'll be sure to tell you once i've seen a few.

Blog Entries

I can give you the episodes in order if you want?

Blog Entries

If you want to. But I could always just look them up.

Blog Entries

Too many spoilers for my liking

Blog Entries

They're all on there!

Riviera's been watching the first 11 episodes and he's been impressed. I warned thee though the first few episodes are pretty weak.

In fact I'd be curious to know if any of the earlier episodes went down in grading since then. @Riviera?
    I'd probably take Episode 2 down a couple notches.

34. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Dobbie

Blog Entries

Season 1:

1: Beast Wars Part 1
    2: Beast Wars Part 2
    3: The Web
    4: Equal Measures
    5: Chain of Command
    6: Power Surge
    7: Fallen Comrades
    8: Double Jeopardy
    9: A Better Mousetrap