Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If you could bring a dead rock star back to life

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

If you could bring a dead rock star back to life

If you could bring a dead rock star back to life for one gig, who would it be?

John Lennon, Jimi Hendrix, Elvis, Kurt Cobain, Buddy Holly, Freddie Mercury? Or someone else?

Vote here: http://www.thisdayinmusic.com/pages/stairway_to_heaven

Blog Entries

This...and exactly this...
    How to remaster

DICK MOVE! Comicshow MolemanBob's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well as my favorite artist of all time is John Lennon and I feel as though he was taken from us while he still had so much to give, I'd definitely choose him...

The Rev! (The drummer of Avenged Sevenfold)
    My Simpsons Season 26 Ratings/Reviews:
    Clown in the Dumps : 1/5 / The Wreck of the Relationship : 3,5/5 / Super Franchise Me : 3/5 / Simpson Horror Show XXV : 2,75/5

Hired Goon
    Blog Entries

I'd go up to heaven and make a trade. I'd give them Lady Gaga in exchange for Kurt Cobain.

2019 Edit: I disown this post. I stole a bad joke from a Facebook page and I never agreed with it in the first place. Lady Gaga and Kurt Cobain are both epic.
    Last edited by Irvine; 10-30-2019 at 03:24 PM.
    My Simpsons Season Rankings:
    6 > 7 > 3 > 5 > 8 > 4 > 2 > 1 > 9 > 15 > 13 > 14 > 10 > 16 > 12 > 11 > 22 > 21 > 17 > 25 > 24 > 18 > 26 > 20 > 19 > 23

Quote Originally Posted by handsome
    honestly the most burning question i had about you was if you had seen every disney movie so i'm glad that got out of the way first

Tyrant:rubs M Groening's feet D DEBBS's Avatar

Janie Lynn Joplin....better than Madonna, Lady Gaga, Katy Perry or ANY of the current crop of female recording artists.

I'm torn between Joey and Dee Dee Ramone.

son of a BANG son of a BOOM parklife's Avatar

serge gainsbourg or dusty springfield

a whiz with cold drinks Frightened Inmate No. 2's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Keith Moon and Freddie Mercury would be top of the list.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Sandford II View Post
    While not humorous, would be cool if someone actually put this in their sig.

Blog Entries

Keith Moon, Freddie Mercury, Kurt Cobain, John Entwhistle and George Harrison.
    Last edited by Nicky; 09-03-2012 at 10:15 AM.

Al Jeany apologist skully the poltergeist's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Dohmer
    yeet or get yeeted

12. Thumbs Up To This Post by: cam

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Irvine View Post
    I'd go up to heaven and make a trade. I'd give them Lady Gaga in exchange for Kurt Cobain.
    what a bad post
    Fuck Donald Trump. #NotMyPresident

14. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Sam

withered gas station rose Bart's treehouse's Avatar

David Berman

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

I wouldn’t it really isn’t my place to decide who lives or dies I’ll leave that to Oprah.

17. Thumbs Up To This Post by: idm

John "Bonzo" Bonham.
    HOMER, YOU'RE DUMB AS A MULE AND TWICE AS UGLY. IF A STRANGE MAN OFFERS YOU A RIDE I SAY TAKE IT!

Blog Entries

gene simmons can die
    :gatorpee:

As much as I like Brian Johnson (he has a great voice, and does seem like such a nice guy) ACDC’s finest frontman was, and always will be Bon Scott.

Layne Staley.

Phil Lynott.

Tom Petty.

George Harrison.

Nico.

Kurt Cobain is more complicated. Now, I love Nirvana, and as a child of alienation myself, I always felt a lot of sympathy for him. There is debate over whether he actually did “commit suicide”; I think that he DID. That considered, would it be right raising a dead man from the grave, if to live no more was his wish?

@SlashNBurn little fun fact: One night Bon Scott went to a concert and came back the next day and told them guys that the singer was out of control rolling around on stage and screaming. That guy was Brian Johnson and the reason why, he was rolling around is he had appendicitis.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoskin View Post
    @SlashNBurn little fun fact: One night Bon Scott went to a concert and came back the next day and told them guys that the singer was out of control rolling around on stage and screaming. That guy was Brian Johnson and the reason why, he was rolling around is he had appendicitis.
    Wow. I did not know that.

I think about whether I'd want this of Richey Edwards (he was the rhythm guitarist for the Manic Street Preachers), who I feature in my profile picture.

We don't actually know for definite that Richey actually died; it is theoretically possible that he remains alive -- his body has never been discovered, but he was declared legally deceased in 2008, there have been sightings here-and-there, of which none have been confirmed -- However, at my most realistic, I am of the opinion that there's a very strong likelihood that he did indeed die -- and if so, it was almost certainly a suicide. Richey claimed that "the S-word (i.e. suicide)" never entered his head, he said "I am stronger than that" -- but this is exceedingly unlikely, as he regularly slashed his wrists (sometimes mid-concert), and once while on tour in I believe Germany or The Netherlands in 1992, he was seen bashing his head repeatedly against a brick wall. Furthermore, on the date of his disappearance in February 1995 (aged 27), his car was found parked at a motorway services close to the Severn Bridge river-crossing between England and Wales, which even then was a very well-documented suicide site.
    Assuming Richey did commit suicide then, it boils down yet again to whether bringing someone back from the dead in that way, with them having taken their own life voluntarily, is moral? In the case of these suicidal musicians, instead of specifically wanting to "bring them back from death", I'd prefer to have been there to convince them to carry on.

Al Jeany apologist skully the poltergeist's Avatar
    Blog Entries

When I was a teenager I truly believed Richey had engineered the perfect disappearance and was living a reclusive life somewhere abroad. It's almost impossible to hold onto that romantic notion when you look at the known facts and take into account the condition he was in at the time though. Sadly I think it all points to the Severn Bridge.

There was just some much going wrong with him between 93-95. Anorexia, Self-Harm, Alcoholism, the death of the band's manager, pressure of the upcoming US tour. It's also been revealed, in recent years, that there was a previous suicide attempt around the time he was institutionalised.. So many lyrics from The Holy Bible record sound like an extended suicide note as well:

"Scratch my leg with a rusty nail, sadly it heals/Colour my hair but the dye grows out/I can't seem to stay a fixed ideal"

''I want to be so skinny that I rot from view/I want to walk in the snow and not leave a footprint"

"Such beautiful dignity in self-abuse/ I've finally come to understand life/ Through staring blankly at my navel"

"Sleep cannot hide thoughts splitting through my mind/Shadows aren't clean, false mirrors, too many people awake/If you stand up like a nail then you will be knocked down/I've been too honest with myself I should have lied like everybody else"

I'm fairly certain he planned for it to be his last artistic statement, there's just something so final about it all. I'd encourage all the NHC music fans to check it out. In my opinion its among the greatest works of art (in any form of media) of the 20th Century. A harrowing yet utterly compelling listen. Most people are only aware of the Post-Richey Manic Street Preachers, which is a terrible shame. They had massive Pop-Rock hits after he vanished but they lost almost all of their intellect and originality.

p.s hope you post more @SlashNBurn because its so good to have another Richey fan here!

25. Thumbs Up To This Post by: SlashNBurn

Definitely Kurt Cobain, if you could guarantee that he wouldn't commit suicide. It wouldn't matter if he went solo, brought back Nirvana without Dave or brought back the original Nirvana, but if he joined the Foo Fighters as a co-lead that would be weird! Otherwise Freddie Mercury, as Queen had so many hits in the 80's and were not slowing down in the late 80's/early 90's

Blog Entries

prince duh

28. Thumbs Up To This Post by: kupomog

Quote Originally Posted by skully the poltergeist View Post
    I'd encourage all the NHC music fans to check it out. In my opinion its among the greatest works of art (in any form of media) of the 20th Century. A harrowing yet utterly compelling listen. Most people are only aware of the Post-Richey Manic Street Preachers, which is a terrible shame. They had massive Pop-Rock hits after he vanished but they lost almost all of their intellect and originality.
    I like post-Richey Manics. I own every studio release of theirs, and enjoy the vast majority of it. It absolutely is not the same at all, but I do think some of Richey's songwriting talent rubbed-off on his bandmates, since I am of the opinion that James, Nicky and Sean have all long since become better songwriters. If you compare the 1996-present material to that of the pre-Richey Manic Street Preachers, lyrically-speaking...before Edwards was involved, obviously the music was solid, but their lyrics were usually quite basic; often falling victim to cliche.
    I always loved the fact that, on Journal for Plague Lovers (2009), they used lyrics that Edwards had written before February 1995.
    --
    Oh, and obviously, its great to see more fans on here!

Quote Originally Posted by Snorky View Post
    Definitely Kurt Cobain.... but if he joined the Foo Fighters as a co-lead that would be weird! s
    There's one thing I can assure you Kurt Cobain would never do. One of the many dimensions of his troubled life that contributed to him dying was his dislike for his own fame. He REALLY hated being famous. He frequently would leave SLTS out of Nirvana's setlists or determinedly besmirch the song at live performances, because he didn't like the attention and fame which that song in particular brought him and his band. As you can imagine, the last thing he'd want is to go around the world on extensive tours and play enormous stadiums and festivals.

I saw the Foo Fighters at a stadium gig last year. It was amazing -- but it simply isn't for some people. Cobain was one of them.

Blog Entries

Cobain is like the most boring answer to this question, seriously

Blog Entries

what about jim morrison

33. Thumbs Up To This Post by: SlashNBurn

inside of your skeleton, slowly feeding away at your insides,
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Irvine View Post
    simply epic.
    Season Rankings
    7 > 6 > 8 > 4 > 3 > 5 > 2 > 1 > 9 > 10 > 13 > 12 > 15 > 14 > 16 > 18 > 17 > 20 > 19 > 21 > 22 > 23

Motto

If you do drugs, you go to hell, before you die. Please.
    Quote Originally Posted by InsomniaDealer View Post
    I trust Al Jean more than I trust my own mother. That bitch.

35. Thumbs Up To This Post by: cam

Quote Originally Posted by tyler View Post
    what about jim morrison
    I was wondering why we haven't heard him mentioned so far....

withered gas station rose Bart's treehouse's Avatar

Sloppy jimbo Morrison

Thread Information