noodlesoup: Brisbane Roar, Arsenal
    joey: Arsenal
    alias: Hibs and Arsenal
    goodfella: Arsenal
    hamm: Leicester City
    sweden: AIK
    moose: Man United

------

So someone (Liam Moore, UK association football fans!) who was in the year above me at primary school has been linked with a transfer to Manchester United. So so weird. I played football against him in fact (the classic tie between Year 5 and Year 6). He currently plays for Leicester City (my club) which was weird enough.

Another football related one, my aunt used to hang around with the daughter of Gordon Banks.

Someone else in the year above me went on the BBC Three show Sun, Sex and Suspicious Parents. Not sure I'm so proud of that one.

Edit: This was originally a thread called "claims to fame".
    Last edited by steamed_hamms; 08-27-2012 at 05:36 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hammster View Post
    So someone (Liam Moore, UK association football fans!) who was in the year above me at primary school has been linked with a transfer to Manchester United. So so weird. I played football against him in fact (the classic tie between Year 5 and Year 6). He currently plays for Leicester City (my club) which was weird enough.

Another football related one, my aunt used to hang around with the daughter of Gordon Banks.

Someone else in the year above me went on the BBC Three show Sun, Sex and Suspicious Parents. Not sure I'm so proud of that one.
    Saw his name at a few Leicester City games this season. Good for him!

Are you happy that Matt Mills is gone or do you think it was the wrong decision? I wish I could watch more of the Football League but where I'm from are Premier League snobs! I did watch the Friday opener between Cardiff and Huddersfield last week via a stream!

direct floor engagement steamed_hamms's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbie View Post
    Saw his name at a few Leicester City games this season. Good for him!

Are you happy that Matt Mills is gone or do you think it was the wrong decision?
    Oh wow, I didn't know you followed football Dobbie! Do you have a team?
    And Mills was supposedly disruptive, didn't get on with Pearson and we had to balance our wage budget anyway. He's clearly a better player than he showed at Leicester so it's a bit of a shame but,on balance, I back the decision.
    I much prefer Pearson's approach to squad building over Sven's of splashing out on stars.

Blog Entries

Oh wow, I didn't know you followed football Dobbie! Do you have a team?
    And Mills was supposedly disruptive, didn't get on with Pearson and we had to balance our wage budget anyway. He's clearly a better player than he showed at Leicester so it's a bit of a shame but,on balance, I back the decision.
    I much prefer Pearson's approach to squad building over Sven's of splashing out on stars.
    Well I support my local team - the Montreal Impact! I went to a few games this season and we are currently on course to finish in the play-offs (over here it's not a simple league table. It's the usual American sports method of conferences - we're in the East and currently sitting in 6th with the top 5 moving on to the elimination rounds. We're a point behind DC United but we have played about 2/3 games more than the teams above us and 4/5 more than Columbus who are in 7th and 3 points behind with 6 games left, so I don't think it will happen this season!, but I'm happy considering we're an expansion team and doing much better than expected! An expansion team is basicially like a promoted team btw). We have Nesta, Ferrari, Rivas, Corradi and di Vaio at the club that you must have heard about!

As for an English team, no I do not. I'm a neutral!

I fell in love with the beautiful game during the 03/04 season. I think my first game was a Premier League match between Newcastle (managed by the late Sir Bobby) and Leeds (managed by Peter Reid) but I can't remember the scoreline! I remember Leicester going down that season but giving Arsenal a slight scare in the last game and putting their unbeaten season at risk! I follow the Football League a lot as well and I keep track of it every week! Unfortunetely games of the FL don't exist under my TV Service Provider so I usually have to go stream hunting!

And yeah I agree. The Championship has improved in quality over the years and the best method to get promoted seems to be to have a good squad mixed with veterans and youngsters, not ex-top flight players with egos like Paintsil and Beckford (not surprised that he and Pearson had a few tussles - they're both arrogant, stubborn men!). I think with the investment of the Thailand group you'll eventually go up but it's a very difficult league to get out of for sure!

I heard some good things about Ben Marshall. Apparently impressed on loan at Sheffield Wednesday which got him the move to Leicester!

So yeah I'm a guy that loves football and I actually follow the Football League from North America! I'm essentially a weirdo!

Blog Entries

Well I support my local team - the Montreal Impact! I went to a few games this season and we are currently on course to finish in the play-offs (over here it's not a simple league table. It's the usual American sports method of conferences - we're in the East and currently sitting in 6th with the top 5 moving on to the elimination rounds. We're a point behind DC United but we have played about 2/3 games more than the teams above us and 4/5 more than Columbus who are in 7th and 3 points behind with 6 games left, so I don't think it will happen this season!, but I'm happy considering we're an expansion team and doing much better than expected! An expansion team is basicially like a promoted team btw). We have Nesta, Ferrari, Rivas, Corradi and di Vaio at the club that you must have heard about!

As for an English team, no I do not. I'm a neutral!

I fell in love with the beautiful game during the 03/04 season. I think my first game was a Premier League match between Newcastle (managed by the late Sir Bobby) and Leeds (managed by Peter Reid) but I can't remember the scoreline! I remember Leicester going down that season but giving Arsenal a slight scare in the last game and putting their unbeaten season at risk! I follow the Football League a lot as well and I keep track of it every week! Unfortunetely games of the FL don't exist under my TV Service Provider so I usually have to go stream hunting!

And yeah I agree. The Championship has improved in quality over the years and the best method to get promoted seems to be to have a good squad mixed with veterans and youngsters, not ex-top flight players with egos like Paintsil and Beckford (not surprised that he and Pearson had a few tussles - they're both arrogant, stubborn men!). I think with the investment of the Thailand group you'll eventually go up but it's a very difficult league to get out of for sure!

I heard some good things about Ben Marshall. Apparently impressed on loan at Sheffield Wednesday which got him the move to Leicester!

So yeah I'm a guy that loves football and I actually follow the Football League from North America! I'm essentially a weirdo!
    Maybe I should turn this into a football thread.

Ahh I see. You should pick an English team too (hint: Leicester).

I remember that season quite well. I remember having hugely mixed feelings about it. We were in the Premier League and I remember going to the first game against Southampton and it was such a good atmosphere (although it was an incredibly irritating game we drew 2-2 and we scored our 2 goals in the first 10 minutes and then conceded 2 goals in the last 15 minutes). But then going down was a little heartbreaking (our relegation to League One was even more devastating). And there was the sexual assault accusations in the Spain training camp which was just so terrible for all concerned. All charges were eventually dropped but it was very disruptive. The other incident that sticks in my head is Ian Walker being confronted by a fan on the pitch and shoving him to the ground. There were some great moments though (our fans responding to the Leeds Utd chant "going down going down going down" with "so are we so are we so are we" and I still get nostalgic about the likes of Muzzy Izzet and Les Ferdinand and Lilian Nalis scoring a wonder goal against Leeds) so yeah definitely mixed feelings about that season. I'd clearly love us to get back there.

I like Beckford but I agree with your overall point. People seem to blame Beckford for everything though and he's not nearly as bad as everyone says. I hope he sticks around, honestly. He's a quality player. Never really understood why we bothered signing Paintsil. I really like our squad this year. Ben Marshall, Jamie Vardy, Schmeichel, St Ledger and Konchesky are all great and there's plenty of others in there. Hope they live up to their potential this year.

Haha that's awesome. We have the best leagues in the world!

Banned
    Blog Entries

Maybe I should turn this into a football thread.
    Yes. So who do you think'll win the Barclays Premier League?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan Cat View Post
    Yes. So who do you think'll win the Barclays Premier League?
    Man United, unfortunately. I think Van Persie + the rest of their squad will be too much.

In-fact, my predictions...

Top 3:
    1. Man United
    2. Man City
    3. Chelsea

Relegated:
    18. Wigan
    19. West Ham
    20. QPR

Promoted from Championship:
    1. Blackburn
    2. Leicester (too optimistic? I expect at-least play-offs though providing Pearson keeps his job)
    Play-off Winners: Bolton or Leeds

Banned
    Blog Entries

So you think Wolves will stay in the Championship?

Blog Entries

Probably. I wouldn't be surprised if I'm wrong though. It's a tough league this year, anything could happen.

Blog Entries

Man United, unfortunately. I think Van Persie + the rest of their squad will be too much.

In-fact, my predictions...

Top 3:
    1. Man United
    2. Man City
    3. Chelsea

Relegated:
    18. Wigan
    19. West Ham
    20. QPR

Promoted from Championship:
    1. Blackburn
    2. Leicester (too optimistic? I expect at-least play-offs though providing Pearson keeps his job)
    Play-off Winners: Bolton or Leeds
    I don't think QPR will finish bottom. I know that 'too much quality on paper' is a cliche and doesn't mean that a team can't be relegated (See Newcastle, West Ham and arguably Leeds, but they suffered financial problems) but if they go down Mark Hughes should never manage another football club ever again.

I'll go with Norwich, Wigan and Southampton going down. I don't rate Hughton as a manager (let's face it, who couldn't get tha Newcastlet squad promoted?!) and I think that Lambert played a big role in Norwich staying up last season (I personally think that a good manager can be better than a star player) and I don't see Hughton repeating what he did at Carrow Road! I know Wigan is kinda predictable but I can see them going down and I think that Southampton will just miss out on survival and finish 18th.

I can't see Blackburn winning the Championship under Steve Kean and Venky's. They were second best against Hull and apparently they have been against everyone else! Their luck will run out eventually. I do rate Middlesbrough's chances of claiming an automatic spot though. Mowbray's magic will pay off for them this season!

I see it finishing like this:

1- Man City
    2- Chelsea
    3- Man United
    4- Arsenal

and in the Championship:

Automatic: Middlesbrough, Cardiff
    Play-offs: Bolton, Blackpool, Leicester, Brighton.

And nah I enjoy being a neutral! Although I do like a few clubs, I cannot support them or have an emotional attachment to them like I do with the Impact!

Blog Entries

I can't see Blackburn winning the Championship under Steve Kean and Venky's. They were second best against Hull and apparently they have been against everyone else! Their luck will run out eventually. I do rate Middlesbrough's chances of claiming an automatic spot though. Mowbray's magic will pay off for them this season!
    I can't see Kean lasting very long. Once he's gone, they should easily bounce back up. And even if he doesn't leave, I still see them being up there. I could see Middlesborough, Blackpool, Cardiff and Blackpool being in there somewhere though. Man, this league is tough.

Also yeah, I just looked at QPR's squad and maybe I was being harsh. I think they'll be in a relegation scrap for this season at-least though. If they survive that, they'll have a great next season.

Blog Entries

Would you trust the Venky's to replace Kean with someone good?

Blog Entries

Eh. True.

OPEN WIDE FOR SOME SOCCER

As a veteran Wolves and therefore Championship fan I'll tell you all for free that all (sensible, rational, fans which is a minority atm) do not expect us to go up. No one should ever expect anything in the Championship as it's so damn unpredictable.

Blog Entries

Yeah I don't see you going up either. That said you should enjoy Solbakken's rebuilding process! Rome wasn't built in one day and I don't think any (or much of them anyway) of McCarthy's players will help you to the next level.

We got rid of Mick at completely the wrong time. If it had been up to me I'd have got rid of him end of 10/11 season, failing that in December of last season. Not one week after the transfer deadline.... Then Terry Connor oh Jesus don't get me started.

Anyway Stale looks the real deal I just hope people don't get on his back because we're floating about midtable. I'd rather see us building a team for the next "era" rather than spending to get promoted quickly. Sustainability is key and the board have definitely redeemed themselves this summer after the TC debacle.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Even if Wolves sold three good players they should still be able to go straight back to the premier league with a glorious trophy in their hands with their current team.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan Cat View Post
    Even if Wolves sold three good players they should still be able to go straight back to the premier league with a glorious trophy in their hands with their current team.
    Lets hope so, I want to go past the Molineux Stadium on my wiy to work feeling proud of them again.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Premier League scores this week:

Stoke 0-0 Arsenal
    Man Utd 3-2 Fulham
    Swansea 3-0 West Ham
    Aston Villa 1-3 Everton
    Chelsea 2-0 Newcastle
    Tottenham 1-1 West Brom
    Norwich 1-1 QPR
    Southampton 0-2 Wigan
    Liverpool 2-2 Man City

Banned
    Blog Entries

Crap that double post won't delete!

We signed Boukari and the Sako deal looks imminent. More and more different direction than Mick and things are looking up. As long as we don't disgrace ourselves this season I'll be happy.

@NickVaughan whereabouts do you live pal?

Blog Entries

Does everybody on this forum support Wolves?!

Banned
    Blog Entries

Does everybody on this forum support Wolves?!
    Yep!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Stanton View Post
    We signed Boukari and the Sako deal looks imminent. More and more different direction than Mick and things are looking up. As long as we don't disgrace ourselves this season I'll be happy.

@NickVaughan whereabouts do you live pal?
    Brewood, only 20 mins away from the centre of Wolvo. I was born in the Castlecroft area though, what about you?

Blog Entries

Yeah, one of our finest moments, hard to beleive it was 10 years ago though!

Banned
    Blog Entries

Great memories return.

Quote Originally Posted by NickVaughan View Post
    Brewood, only 20 mins away from the centre of Wolvo. I was born in the Castlecroft area though, what about you?
    No way, I'm from Codsall. Cycled through Brewood about 90 minutes ago haha

Blog Entries

Also my cousin did a survey to find out who each club considered their rivals. Some interesting results: http://thechriswhitingshow.wordpress...ensus-results/

Blog Entries

Ah, Codsall. Home of Birche's Bridge ( that's if it's still open) Fish & Chips among other things. I only pass through there from time to time.

Brewood isn't so bad, it's too quiet though. And it has a sinister air about it considering it's humble country village demeanour.

Anyway, back to football: Does anybody like the horribly overrated Man U here?

Thread Information