Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Dark Knight Rises

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

A source of fun Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I don't see why the shooting incident has to affect the movie at all. I mean, this could've happened at any movie. Why does it even matter at which movie it occurred?
    Favorite and least favorite by season
    1. Krusty Gets Busted There’s No Disgrace Like Home 2. Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3. Homer at the Bat Like Father, Like Clown 4. Brother From the Same Planet Krusty Gets Kancelled 5. Cape Feare Lady Bouvier’s Lover 6. Homer Badman Another Simpsons Clip Show 7. King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8. Homer’s Enemy El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer 9. Bart Carny The Trouble With Trillions 10. Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: “Kidney Trouble” 11. Guess Who’s Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12. HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13. Tales From the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14. The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15. I, Annoyed Grunt)-bot Bart-Mangled Banner 16. A Star is Torn On a Clear Day I Can’t See My Sister 17. My Fair Laddy Bonfire of the Manatees 18. The Haw-Hawed Couple You Kent Always Say What You Want 19. Funeral for a Fiend All About Lisa 20. Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21. The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22. Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23. The Falcon and the D’ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24. Hardly Kirk-ing Moonshine River 25. The War of Art What to Expect When Bart’s Expecting 26. Sky Police Let’s Go Fly a Coot 27. Halloween of Horror Lisa With an ‘S’ 28. There Will Be Buds Moho House 29. Springfield Splendor Throw Grampa From the Dane

Blog Entries

I don't give a shit what movie it's at. If there was a shooting at a G-rated film I might want to see I would be uncomfortable there as well. Doesn't help that the film is dark and has some shooting in it as well, including the fact that a comic called "Dark Knight Returns" has a man shooting in a movie theater.

Formerly known as E.A. Moz

THIS MOVIE WAS BRILLIANT! If there wasn't at least one more movie, the world would be terribly let down...just sayin'.

Zombies Rise from the Sea

Just seen the movie, it was awesome! Not even the Colorado shooting could stop this baby.

Review may be coming soon. Just a note, if you see the IMAX version, be aware that not every scene is shot in the format, it jumps awkwardly between IMAX shot footage and film shot footage (you'll know when the dimensions change if you see it in IMAX, I sure did.)

at the other side of reality cinco's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Who had the feeling that the movie was more about John Blake than about Batman?

Title could as well be  Joseph Gordon-Levitt's character rises  or  Robin and Batman .

the bear who loves to love c l o n e's Avatar
    Blog Entries

saw this movie on friday. it was  okay. 

i don't really see what's so great about it in the first place though. it just felt like decent hollywood fodder to me. there's nothing really interesting about it, it's really just an action movie more or less. which is fine but hardly 'awesome'. 

also there were plotholes 

Blog Entries

Batman Begins is still my favourite. That one also felt closest to the overall Batman mythos.
    This third one just took way too many liberties. Bane differs too much from the actual Bane character.  no Venom?!?  Not necessarily a bad thing though. And I don't know what to think of Levitt's character. The performance was good, but erm...  him being Robin, not DIck Grayson, but actually someone whose real name is Robin?!? Really?!? 
    And then there is Anne Hathaway. She surprised me in a good sense. She nailed her Catwoman-character and turns it into easily one of the highlights of the movie.

Another good thing: the movie (unlike The Spectacular Spider-Man) is not predictable at all.
    During The Spectacular Spider-Man it felt as if you knew all the storybeats already, what was gonna happen, how it was gonna happen and such...
    This is not the case for the TDKR-movie. It goes in directions which make you go "what the...", sadly enough also in the negative sense. And then there is the length: this movie is way too long and despite that, it still has questionable story twists and yes... plotholes. Nolan should try a three and a half hour movie next time. Maybe then he might be able to explain everything.

Blog Entries

plot holes aside it was a fun way to kill almost 3 hours of time.

best part was before the movie when i was standing in line some random dude told me i looked like Tom Hanks. He told me how I should go dressed up as him for Halloween. I'm trying to be nice and I'm all "OK, thanks?" but in my head I'm like "Is this guy serious?"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cloneasaurus View Post
    saw this movie on friday. it was  okay. 

i don't really see what's so great about it in the first place though. it just felt like decent hollywood fodder to me. there's nothing really interesting about it, it's really just an action movie more or less. which is fine but hardly 'awesome'. 

also there were plotholes 
    > spoiler tag abuse
    > fourth world problems

Well, I'm off to see this tonight. I'll be back with a review!
    I'm just like Bart!
    I'm Bart, who are you? by The No Homers Club

Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz123 View Post
    I'm like the dexter of masturbation.

Well, that was quite a lot to take in so my review will be brief. Yes they did take some liberties but Nolan made them his own and deviated from the mythos of the comics in a good way. I agree with the majority as well about the plot holes which were a little more obvious than the first two. Bane sans venom didn't bother me and detective John Blake eventually becoming Robin at the end was a great ending. Having it as his middle name was actually quite clever to be honest.  I didn't read anything about the full plot so that was quite a surprise. It was a slow build but once it got going it did keep you on the edge of your seat and had many twists. As many have said, Anne Hathaway was much better than expected as Catwoman and her role was utilized perfectly. I thought the interactions between Bruce and Alfred were also possibly the best of the trilogy.

Overall, once again it lived up to the hype and completed one of the greatest movie trilogies of all time. It goes to show that IMO the one with Batman's most famous villian would turn out to be the weakest of the three if I had to choose.

5/5

EDIT: I also couldn't complete this without mentioning the tragedy in Colorado. I had this in the back of my mind when watching anything that had gunfire in the scenes. It actually gave the gunfire an eery realism to it and is something I don't care to experience again. My thoughts and prayers go out to those people who were either injured or were unthinkably killed just going to watch a movie.
    Last edited by The Thompsons; 07-25-2012 at 10:02 PM.

Food-Crazed Maniac Oh, that's raspberry!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

The Dark Knight the weakest of the 3? One of the greatest movie trilogies ever? Uhhhh

This trilogy holds up to any of the other great trilogies. You make it sound like a slasher/...Movie franchise.

Don't get me wrong, Dark Knight was a great film but stacked up to the other two it doesn't quite measure up. I know this is a controversial opinion but hey

Blog Entries

You knockin' slasher films? I'd watch Jason Lives over Batman Begins 9 times outta 10.

But I mean what great movie trilogies are there even? Back to the Future, original Star Wars, first 3 Indiana Jones....what else?

I'm actually a big slasher fan myself, but obvioulsy they aren't held in a high regard critically. A little trilogy called the Godfather is up there too. The Dark Knight trilogy may not be that good (even though I don't care for the Godfather myself) but I enjoy it as much as Back To The Future, Star Wars, Indy etc.
    Last edited by The Thompsons; 07-25-2012 at 10:27 PM.

Blog Entries

I thought about including Godfather but the 3rd is total crap according to almost every review I've read so I can't count it.

Since you included the Indy films, I guess the first three Die Hards could also be considered. I take it your not too big into these comic book movies?

Blog Entries

Well I mean I loved the first Tim Burton Batman film and the first Iron Man was good.

Oh and of the 4 Die Hards I actually enjoyed the 4th the most so...

The Tim Burton Batman films were great but in a different way. It had a more "comic book" feel to it, but it was done properly. An earlier reviewer got it right when they said the Nolan films are sometimes too serious which I can easily see. I just like these films because they have much more depth to them than any other comic book movie/franchise.

4th Die Hard? To each his own as they say.

Blog Entries

Well I only saw the other 3 Die Hards in bits and pieces and the 2nd one hardly at all, but yeah I really enjoyed the 4th.

Well before the fourth came out, the second Die Hard I thought was the weakest. I would rate them 1>3>2>4.

Number 5 Feb.14/2013. Just another sequel added to the pile.

So anyways, upon further thought Marion Cotillard's character Miranda did clutter up the plot at times. I think Nolan really did try to outdo himself by adding this character and mixing her backstory with that of Bane's.  I can see people viewing this as being unnecessary and kind of hard to wrap your head around.

Blog Entries

I saw TDKR last Friday and I've been mulling it over in my mind ever since, reading about all the comic book back-stories to characters, interpretations, reviews and whatnot. First impressions were 'oh yeah that was awesome' type stuff, especially due to the fact that for me 2h 45 flew past and didn't drag at all (not even at the beginning which some people have said). I enjoyed all the actors, but Hathaway and Hardy did a great job in particular. The presence they gave Bane, especially keeping in mind Hardy had half his face covered, was brilliant. What was intriguing me was how they were going to end it all, tie up all the loose ends and that's where things get interesting -

I've discussed the ending with a few friends quite a bit mostly because at first we though Nolan had decided to make an ambiguous ending, Inception-style. Myself and one other friend immediately took it that Bruce Wayne died and the shot at the end with Alfred was just his imagination (especially coming after his scene at the graves). I thought Nolan had been brave enough to kill him off, but in doing so showing Batman would still continue without Bruce (hence all the Robin, Joseph Gordon-Levitt stuff) and become the symbol he had always wanted Batman to be.

Upon further discussion and reading, I think it's fairly clear that's not the intended message. What with the Auto-pilot system and the clean slate device Selina wanted throughout the film, Bruce has also started fresh. I guess the whole Batman as a symbol, carrying on etc. still works with him living and as someone said, fits in better with the title that Bruce is rising past the Batman. I still think it's a good sign however that different interpretations can exist, though I don't want this to start sounding like some film graduate, analytical bullcrap.

Concerning spoilers, I thought the Talia Al Ghul could've worked better. I appreciate the relationship they created with her and Bane in the prison as her protector, Ra's as the mercenary and all that. However she was introduced too late as evil and killed off too early. I'd have rather that whole idea be removed leaving just Bane or bring it in earlier to explore it more.  

I really liked some of the little details in there, such as when someone ripped the picture of Harvey Dent in half, or mentioned giant alligators in the sewers. There are some others I've read as well, about music choices and car choices. It's ridiculous at how many tiny details are in there to spot.

I really think I need to see it again, but at the moment my opinion of it is it's very very good. Sure there are plot holes but none of them take you out of the film; Nolan has created a fantastic trilogy that shows the Batman a lot of people have wanted to see on the big screen.

I think they did a great job with Anne Hathaway as Selina Kyle and cleared up the haze that portrayed her in Batman Returns.

Blog Entries

This movie wasn't released in 3D was it?

I don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by Monstrous Panhead View Post
    I think they did a great job with Anne Hathaway as Selina Kyle and cleared up the haze that portrayed her in Batman Returns.
    Michelle Pfeiffer was outstanding as Catwoman as well, I don't know what you're getting at with her portrayal in "Returns".

She seemed like too much of a nutjob but hey, it works for the 90s. It just seems like the "newer" Catwoman seemed more suitable and realistic.

That's Tim Burton for you. He was great at doing these in his own right with a more artistic but still dark approach.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome B. Wonderful View Post
    This movie wasn't released in 3D was it?
    Nope.
    I consider that a good thing.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Anne Hathaway's portrayal of Catwoman (although never called so during the feature) was surely the better part of The Dark Knight Rises, also the only character that could bring some lightness to this serious and tense movie.

Blog Entries

So I expect way more people have seen the movie by now. Thoughts?

Thread Information