Page 112 of 112 FirstFirst ... 1262102103104105106107108109110111112
Results 3,331 to 3,345 of 3345

Thread: Last Movie You Watched Thread

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Phantom Thread

Really liked it. I think it should have won best picture. However, it was by no means PTA's or DDL's finest film. It may be PTA's most gorgeous film to date though...

9/10

Also finally saw Bicycle Thieves (1949) and it was just straight-up a great movie. I liked it better than 8 1/2 which I saw recently as well.

9/10

Temporary Talking Head Suomynona's Avatar

Pacific Rim: Uprising

Even dumber than the first movie, which is just how I like it, 7.5/10

The Paddington 1 & 2 films great films I give them an 8/10.

Rebel Without a Cause

This may have been my fifth or sixth time watching it, but it's a movie that never gets old. Sure, the plot is contrived and the dialogue is often unnatural and just plain odd, but the acting and cinematography are amazing. I love the panoramic shots of 1950s Los Angeles from The Griffith Park Obersvatory. What's great about James Deen's, Natalie Wood's, and Sal Mineo's performances, isn't how convincing they are, but their pure screen presence and chemistry.

Rashomon

My introduction to Kurosawa. It really began to pick up for me about thirty minutes in. Toshiro Mifune's performance was one of the most mesmerizing I've seen in any film.

9.5/10

Blog Entries

Paris, Texas (1984)
    Some tremendous shots of the texas desert, a couple of moments that warm the heart when Travis and the kid reunite

Promised Land (2012)
    Really enjoyable, reminded me of three billboards in terms of the small town setting, Damon and Frances McDumuid (sp) both great

Professional Teleporter Mícheál's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I watched Van Helsing last night.

Not good.
    "I may or may not die young. I haven't decided yet."

Blog Entries

Johnny English - I didn't think it was that bad of a film. I thought it was a decent spy comedy with some good jokes.

Professional Teleporter Mícheál's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I watched The Shape of Water yesterday. I wasn't particularly blown away or anything, but I was quite impressed with the film, and I thought the '50s look on everything was done really well.

fan fatale of Takena Nagao jal90's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Last few I watched:

Andrei Rublev - It's three hours long which made it the main reason why I haven't yet finished with Tarkovsky, but as expected, this was great and worth every minute. The whole movie is gorgeous to watch and is a fascinating reflection on faith and humanity through the life of a religious artist in Russian Middle Age. Beautifully shot and composed, wonderfully acted and carefully narrated. Not my favorite of the guy because Stalker exists, but damn.

Inland Empire - Okay, here's one I have been meaning to watch for years, but again being three hours long felt like too much time to pick it just like that. My hype was pretty high but I finally watched it and I was even blown away. I expected another great cryptic Lynch, but I ended up connecting with it a lot more. For starters, it may be the best horror, like pure horror, ever shot in camera. And not just for the couple jumpscares, the entire movie is narrated, shot and paced in a way that leaves you on the edge of your seat for three hours. It understands and applies perfectly the discomfort of surrealism, the uncertainty and the blurred line between dream and reality. It's even more unsettling than the regular Lynch because it's longer, even less linear, and more radical in its narrative experimentation.

And yet, what I find most fascinating is that in order to get this powerful atmosphere, this movie is using basic visual language. Or at least, so it feels. And I think it's never mentioned enough that Lynch is primarily somebody with a LOT of knowledge on the medium and its possibilities, that overshadows almost anybody else's. His tricks are only a consequence of that. He knows where and how to place or move the camera, how much should a shot linger, how to use lighting, scene editing, transitions, in order to make Inland Empire the fever dream it is for three hours. It looks so obvious when you see it in action and yet it's something that requires a fundamental understanding of the medium and there are not many people who can apply that as well, and as naturally, as him. In that sense, this movie to me is an insanely eloquent display of skill, and that makes me admire it even more. One of the highlights of the current century.

The Earth dies screaming - So I was tired of watching long masterpieces and picked this short, Cold War paranoia sci-fi/horror B-movie, and it was quite decent, with its limitations like cheesy acting or bad pacing. It has an amazingly disturbing start and even if it doesn't live up to those first ten minutes it is still a very interesting film that predates many tropes of zombie films, is great as a survival horror with some genuinely tense and well-shot scenes, and is clever enough to evoke an immediacy to the threat that could easily be ruined by exposing the ultimate cause of the invasion. This adds a level of uncertainty that transcends beyond its bounds. Not a great movie by all means, but a worth classic that does things well enough to deserve respect.

10. Thumbs Up To This Post by: tyler

Global Moderator Smiling Politely's Avatar

I watched Valerie and Her Week of Wonders the other day since I found it on Youtube (been meaning to watch it for a bit). The version I found wasn't in the original Czech, it was dubbed in Italian, and subbed in English. Anyway, it was still pretty great. I'm not normally into surrealist stuff, but this was worth the watch. tw for some weird sexual abuse stuff tho

Blog Entries

Aliens: imagine Alien, but now Ripley has a machine gun, a little girl to protect, and is backed by the incredible duo of James Cameron's direction and Stan Winston's awe-inspiring visual effects. The film dazzles in its atmosphere as each scene is the epitome of claustrophobic terror, with suffocating hallways and cramped rooms enveloping the woefully unprepared, overconfident cast as they face down an endless horde of nigh-unkillable terrors that slowly pick them off a handful at a time. Mixed up in this unforgiving mess is the relationship between Ripley and Newt. Ripley, the protector and atoner, is trying to correct the mistakes she made with her abandoned, late daughter (mostly out of her control), in young Newt. Newt, having lost her entire family, is looking for a motherly figure out of the endless masculine bravado Ripley's squad is infested with. The two actors needed great, visible chemistry to make this in any way believable and boy do they knock it out of the fucking park, especially when Newt is put to bed but is terrified of a Xenomorph getting her, but Ripley assures her with "Don't be afraid, I'm just in the next room" and it's so unbelievably sweet.

The visual effects are astounding for 1984. Sci-fi helicopters, ground transports, robot mechs, the Xenomorph queen, etc, all look astonishingly life-like and never once take you out of the movie. The xenomorphs in particular no longer feel like men in rubber suits, but the vicious, stealthy predators they always were, particularly in the scene where Bill Paxton peeks into an overhead vent and sees about 20 of the things crawling towards him, all perched upside-down on the ceiling. The entire movie has a very Terminator-like atmosphere and the reasons for that are quite obvious, but it works to the movie's benefit as it's a perfect fit for Alien's cold, unforgiving universe.

I could ramble more about Aliens but I'll have to watch it again to have a grasp on everything. It is a damn good action movie though and I highly recommend it. Btw did I mention that Sigourney Weaver is amazing? Because she's fucking amazing. But with every positive comes an ugly negative, because up next is...

Alien 3: I watched ten minutes of this and then there's a crash and Newt is immediately killed off for no reason, and on top of that we get a good shot of her mutilated corpse?? When you undo everything and render the previous movie's events completely pointless, and in this egregious fashion, you kind of really piss me off and your movie probably reeks of ass (Dark Fate, Star Wars ST, this fucking movie). I might come back to this one someday, but for now the first ten minutes is more than enough.

Friday the 13th (the first one) which wasn't that good.

Ocean's series with George Clooney. Great films by the way

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

Freshmen Fall.Amazon Prime Video recommended it to me.

I saw Ocean's Eleven yesterday

Thread Information