Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: Arrested Development

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Kinda disappointed that it took another 5 years for this. Like, id assume there’d already be resolution to most of the cliffhangers from season 4 by now, so are they just gonna quickly resolve all that in “catching up” flashbacks?

Remember Me As I Was 1010011010's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Season 5 will be split up. Premiere will only have the first 8 episodes.

Portia de Rossi only in 5 episodes this Season.

Kind of already expected characters to still be missing from episodes due to the actors schedules, but still sad to hear this. Guessing they'll use Lindsay's campaign trail to explain her absence for most of the Season (hoping Hurwitz can convince Portia again to appear in S6/the movie, the family needs to stick together!)

Also screw off Netflix, stop splitting up your show releases.
    Just because I'm stupider than them, they think they're smarter than me!
    Simpsons Season 27 Ratings:
    Every Man's Dream-4.8/10 Cue Detective-6/10 Puffless-7/10 Halloween of Horror-8.4/10 Treehouse of Horror XXVI-(4.5, 5, 3.5) 4.25/10 Friend With Benefit-5/10 Lisa With An 'S'-5.5/10 Paths of Glory--/10 Barthood--/10 The Girl Code--/10 Teenage Mutant Milk-Caused Hurdles--/10 Much Apu About Something--/10 Gal of Constant Sorrow--/10 Love Is in the N2-O2-Ar-CO2-Ne-He-CH4--/10 Lisa the Veterinarian--/10 The Marge-ian Chronicles--/10 The Burns Cage--/10 How Lisa Got Her Marge Back--/10 Fland Canyon--/10 Simprovised--/10 To Courier With Love--/10 Orange is the New Yellow--/10
    Futurama Season 7B Ratings:
    2-D Blacktop-7.5/10 Fry and Leela's Big Fling-7.9/10 T.: The Terrestrial-8.2/10 Forty Percent Leadbelly-6.8/10 The Inhuman Torch-8.4/10 Saturday Morning Fun Pit-(9, 7, 8.5) 8.2/10 Calculon 2.0-8.7/10 Assie Come Home-8.5/10 Leela and the Genestalk-7.2/10 Game of Tones-9.2/10 Murder on The Planet Express-9/10 Stench and Stenchibility-8.5/10 Meanwhile-9.5/10
    Jumping the Shark since 1998...
    Alternate Ending Winner of NHC Survivor Season 1

Blog Entries

Lol I guess that makes sense as the also-split S4 of Kimmy Schmidt comes out literally the next day

I liked the S4 remix for what it's worth
    twitter

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotDetector View Post
    Two and a Half Men is no more an "adult show" than "Rocket Power."

Moe is their leader. Captain_Smiley's Avatar

I hate that the season is split up. I guess that is Netflix's way to ensure subscribers. "We won't tell you when the rest of the season comes out so you'll keep our subscription with us."

Hope they don't do this to their animated series in the future. I imagine it was one of those situations where they just didn't finish the season in time and the marketing couldn't have asked for a season any later than this month.

You're BoJack Horseman, no cure for that.

Blog Entries

Just binged. Only two good episodes out of eight.

Only a couple of laugh out loud moments.

End the show.
    Quote Originally Posted by simpsonsbart View Post
    About milk, remember that this word has several meanings...

7. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Startug

Watched only the first episode. Couldn't figure out why it was so long and how I wasn't laughing besides the fact I was tired. End the show.

I'll finish the half season just to finalize my thoughts.
    Last edited by Startug; 05-29-2018 at 05:49 AM.

Blog Entries

Binged it last night. Pretty tired, but gonna say it was good.

Got several hard laughs out of it, and while it felt more like an imitation at times, there were also plenty of moments on par with the original show (though it could've had more of it).

Most of the plots I didn't really care for/felt dragged on for too long (The Wall, Rebel Alley). Kinda awkward how they handled most of S4's cliffhangers, downplaying/retconning a good chunk of them. Found myself enjoying pretty much all of Maeby and Tobias's scenes though.

Most of the problems I had with S4 seem to be gone at least. Narration is kept pretty minimal after the first episodes long ass recapping, sound mixing and editing didn't become completely laughable like last Season (aside from some obvious green screening, but even that isn't as frequent here, though pretty damn awkward for Lindsay/Tony Wonder, who are both completely green screened into the show).

Overall, would give an 8/10 (maybe 7/10 on a rewatch). Definitely got better as it progressed, hope the 2nd half of the Season continues this upswing. A bit low in ambition, but there's still a good amount of charm and laughter left for the show.

That first episode was too much recap.

Yeah it’s awkwardly constructed because most of the first couple episodes seem to take place concurrent or even before some of the events of season 4. So the recap is kind of necessary but also takes up a third of the episode. I’ve only watched the first four, but the thing I notice the most is the jokes just aren’t there. Not to say it isn’t funny at all (so far I’ve found the George Michael stuff to be the best), but it just doesn’t have that 20 jokes a minute rapid fire feel of even the first Netflix season. I hope that improves once they really establish the season as its own thing. Also, the last season was in 2012, right? And i believe only a few months have passed (they mention this wrt buster a couple times), yet suddenly the 2016 election is occurring? I mean, not that that sort of thing ruins it or anything, but it was a bit confusing and took me out of it for a bit

I was rather surprised by the Howard cameo in episode six at the Howard family reunion. Not the sort of person I was expecting.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by box elder View Post
    Yeah it’s awkwardly constructed because most of the first couple episodes seem to take place concurrent or even before some of the events of season 4. So the recap is kind of necessary but also takes up a third of the episode. I’ve only watched the first four, but the thing I notice the most is the jokes just aren’t there. Not to say it isn’t funny at all (so far I’ve found the George Michael stuff to be the best), but it just doesn’t have that 20 jokes a minute rapid fire feel of even the first Netflix season. I hope that improves once they really establish the season as its own thing. Also, the last season was in 2012, right? And i believe only a few months have passed (they mention this wrt buster a couple times), yet suddenly the 2016 election is occurring? I mean, not that that sort of thing ruins it or anything, but it was a bit confusing and took me out of it for a bit
    It was 2013, but you are right that it bizarrely jumps 2 years to 2015 while pretending that S4 ended in that year... really really weird.

but yea really really off-kilter stuff here, it almost felt quiet and less assured than usual. there are some inspired bits, especially towards the end but it ends right as things seem to be heating up. it just felt shakier than usual in the story department and rarely seemed to generate that same spark. even S4 eventually got rolling, and the remix especially brought out its power. the only real new thing about this season was the beach cottage and buster in prison, which admittedly wring some laughs but you can tell that the payoff isn't there yet. it's just frustrating.

the last episode was consistently good and felt like it was gelling together, so hopefully part 2 is more solid as well.

also that rance howard cameo was extremely awkward in hindsight.

Hahah yeah. I mean, I guess it’s not funny but I wasn’t at all familiar with rance Howard so that scene was a bit of a rollercoaster. Like, wait that can’t be Ron Howard’s real dad he must be dead by now. *notices that he looks/acts/sounds exactly like Ron howard*. Oh shit I guess it is. How old must he be? *checks google*. Oh never mind he is dead

Finished the season. While it had some good parts it's still not as good as season 1-3/.

oh dear, I say! The Spruce Moose's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Could've done without quite as many blatant cringeworthy attempts at callbacks (painting MRF over the signs in Mexico come the fuck on you're better than this)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Egg Council Creepy View Post
    Here's FIVE non-rock songs I like:
    Take On Me
    Hello
    Mad World
    Unreal Superhero 3
    Lisa Frank 420/Modern Computing
    So i'm not a rockist

Yeah, I feel like S5 is much improved from the super dragged-on S4 but still nowhere near the original series.

All right I'm watching the S4 remix because I might as well. It's weird but I guess I appreciate the recutting. Kate Spade mention in the India ep made me "o" tho, weird timing.
    facebook / twitter / tumblr
    round and round let the city turn party in the hills we can party in the burbs roof on fire let it burn champagne in my hand I'm not concerned

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 1010011010 View Post
    Thanks for that. I was just watching Season 5 again and I was wondering when we would be getting the rest.

forgot about this tbh. when they announced the split, i figured it was just to avoid a big dump at once and maybe give them more time to finish up post-production stuff, but it's been almost an entire year at this point. had they not even filmed the second half yet? and if so why not just make 2 seasons instead of 1 season "split" over a year?

Blog Entries

They filmed all 16 eps at once AFAIK. Ron Howard was still recording narration as late as last month apparently. Some are speculating Mitch went back and editing the finale so it would feel more like an end to the series (since none of the three female cast members will likely come back). Or it could just be Netflix just splitting it like Kimmy Schmidt for awards/ratings, or staying quiet so the Tambor stuff can past. Either way, its weird staying this quiet about the release, but at least it is finally coming out, and will probably be the end of it.

vs. Radioactive Man Captain Squid's Avatar

Netflix did a bad job at letting it be known that the season was split. I know a lot of people who watched the new episodes and thought that was the finale. There was no real indication of a part 1 and part 2 grouping, or even an idea of when new episodes would arrive.
    UP AND ATOM!

oof i forgot about the tambor shit. so i guess their devious plan worked!

Blog Entries

re-watched the front half because i honestly didn't even remember much about it. and it was actually better than i remember it being, but that could be lowered expectations. honestly, if they insist on doing anything with this franchise going forward i would just make it center around geroge michael and maeybe only. then they wouldn't have to worry about the misogyny shit or awkwardly working around a dozen actors. plus the rest of the characters are pretty stale at this point anyway tbqh. GOB and tobias are especially flanderized

Blog Entries

RIP  Uncle Jack .

Season 5B was adequate, much more consistent than 5A and gave closure to pretty much all the major plots/threads of the Netflix seasons. Only laughed maybe a handful of times during it though, but didn’t really cringe during it either. Anyway, the storylines had enough turns in them to keep me interested, and do I still enjoy watching most of these characters. Maeby is fantastic as always, Gob manages to be funny again after his weak 5A appearance, Michael/GM relationship was able to be funny/sweet again without resorting to mentioning Rebel every scene, and Buster has some great lines.

It never becomes the wonderfully hilarious show it was originally, but for people who’ve seen Seasons 4 and 5A, 5B offers a satisfying conclusion to what was started.

Notes:
    -The finale is solid from start to finish, had some genuinely surprising twists/reveals, and I liked seeing the Bluths finally succeed in one of their grand schemes. Am perfectly content with that last shot being the end of the series.

- Generally, I felt the editing was better. There weren’t a ton of overly long convos and the only reaally bad green screen moment was Warren Gentles courtroom scene. Music also didn’t seem as drowning, and Howards narration wasn’t overly done save for recaps.

-But then there’s the dubbing, SO much post production dubbing. Can’t remember if 5A was this bad with it, might also be from Hurwitz having an extra year with the episodes (they squeeze in a Problem with Apu joke from Gob…set in 2015). They do it almost every other line sometimes (seemingly rewriting entire scenes in 1-2 cases), or if they aren’t dubbing, they still edit their shots rarely showing an actor finishing a line.

-Those “flashback” scenes were really odd. They explain later that it’s  just footage from a Netflix documentary , but did we really have to open 3 episodes with it to make the point? It’s not even funny or that exaggerated. Episode 13 opens with like 7 minutes of it, frightened me into thinking that’d be the whole ep. Guess this is where that prequel rumor came from. Taran Killam and Cobie Smulders did fine as George Sr/Lucille. Could’ve introduced Mimi into the show with a fourth of what they showed.

-Rebel thankfully isn’t used much and gets dropped fairly early.

-However, remember that old surfer dude Lucille flirts with in 5A? He becomes a fairly important character. I still don’t know what I’m supposed to feel about him. He’s just kind of a generic hippie-ish old guy, and then later they have him do the “motherboy” angle with Lucille again. He’s not that funny and eats up a lot of time while doing it (like most of the Netflix era characters). Think I liked Lucille 2’s tapdancing brother? Just weird how little personality Rebel and Dusty get despite how much they keep appearing. At least they didn’t bring back China Garden for the Asian restaurant scene. That classic character.

-Debrie and Kyle Mooney still appear for Tobias’s “plotline”. They don’t eat up much screen time tho, and did finally get a laugh when they moved in with Maeby as old people (and then Debrie and Kyle fuck apparently, and leave Tobias). Oh well, at least he makes up with Lindsay at the end, poor ol’ blowhard deserves it. Also, apparently, he was a psychologist for an 8-year-old Buster. Figure that one out.

-Lucille 2.  So where the fuck did Buster keep Lucille 2's body? Was she pushed down the stairs, or was she alive this whole time until the cement killed her? Maybe they'll address that in the movie lol. Do enjoy that Buster was the one that killed her in the end. Oh and that reveal of Michael doing the chicken dance during Cinco. Am convinced those two points alone made this "murder mystery" worth it.  

Alright, got my thought dump out. See ya in reruns Arrested Development, thanks for the good memories. RIP.

initial thoughts after finishing is that i find the ending extremely offputting. i almost feel like it tarnished the show as a whole even. not sure i can re-watch scenes with that character without thinking about it. and i already have that issue with tambor's character/s, so this just makes it even worse. i dunno, maybe i'll warm to it, but it seemed to me wholly unnecessary and weirdly out of place with the entire rest of the series

not to mention how little sense it even makes.  we're honestly to believe that buster successfully hid the body all that time? he was on trial for the murder, so the police would have looked pretty extensively for it, but buster outsmarted them?? 

Blog Entries

yeah the ending was fucking bizarre, as messed up and funny as it may have seemed.  I imagine hurwitz would've explained how buster got away with it in a hypothetical s6 that's never happening but it's still pretty improbable, not to mention that he spent so long as a suspect in prison and lucille 2's body was just... somewhere? 

this was... not good. I laughed maybe a few times but I'm glad nobody cared and that this is it. good riddance.

(I still like s4)

Thread Information