Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jay and Silent Bob's super groovy cartoon movie

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 1010011010 View Post
    Looked at the trailer again, that animation is some of the worst I've ever seen. Couldn't they've used the animation for the regular Clerks cartoon instead of the Problem Solverz piss designs. I know it's low budget, but I know they could've done it at least some what better than this monstrosity.
    how dare you compare this travesty to problem solverz

Blog Entries

I take it you actually liked Problem Solverz?

Blog Entries

you got a problem (see what I did there) with that?

Blog Entries

Clever Clide.

I'm not your friend-o Cartoonnetwork's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm just sad they couldn't do a 'proper' animated movie with the look and feel of the old Clerks animated series, which were a little hit and miss, but they were enjoyable and deserved more episodes.

That said the animation looked really crappy when I first watched the framegrab in the youtube clip but when I saw it in movement and after Smith's and Mewes' prologue which pretty much explains it was really low on budget and one guy did most of the job, I find it funny looking and decent for what it is. Compared to the Cheech and Chong's trailer, that one looks more 'professional' and seems to have better designs, but then the movements are really limited and a boredom to watch.

In fact I think it will probably suffer more because of bad writing. I have all the comics with the View Askew characters in it and Bluntman and Chronic is possibly the least enjoyable of them. It does have some fun jabs at superheroes but I don't really enjoy the gross humor Smith includes in it. I know it's kind of his trademark, but a villain that actually looks like a penis and jerks off sperm is not my type of comedy.

In general the whole thing looks like a low cost El Superbeasto, which was a funny looking movie in the animation but the shock value gags very rarely worked. I kinda feel the same way about Drawn Together: fun premise, but the gross and shock value gags for the sake of it kind of ruin all the comedy.

It's sad cause I really enjoy 'adult' humor in comic books and animated form. I think there's a proper way to include even the most graphic and disgusting scenes. Robert Crumb does it but it doesn't substract from the interest of the story or the humor. Peter Bagge includes some wild stuff here and there and it's always hilarious. But El SuperBeasto or Drawn Together and recently, Kevin Smith and John Kricfalusi-not to mention Family Guy or even South Park sometimes- are often more interested on being gross and loud for the sake of it rather than making it funny, interesting or including it in adequate context.

I'll watch the Jay and Silent Bob movie if I have the chance anyway, if only cause I really liked the early Kevin Smith films.
    My Simpsons homage!

http://elblogderg.blogspot.com

Banned
    Blog Entries

The trailer was awful...

Blog Entries

[QUOTE=Cartoonnetwork;3078549]I'm just sad they couldn't do a 'proper' animated movie with the look and feel of the old Clerks animated series, which were a little hit and miss, but they were enjoyable and deserved more episodes.

Did you ever hear about the other ideas for episode they had if the show had gotten renewed?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clerks:...but_never_made

Quote Originally Posted by Cartoonnetwork View Post
    In general the whole thing looks like a low cost El Superbeasto, which was a funny looking movie in the animation but the shock value gags very rarely worked. I kinda feel the same way about Drawn Together: fun premise, but the gross and shock value gags for the sake of it kind of ruin all the comedy.
    Oddly enough, that's why I feel the Drawn Together movie worked. They go far more out there than they ever could have gotten away with on the show but at the same time they completely debase themselves by calling themselves out on all of it and saying "We were cancelled because we were filthy and offensive without ever having a point". Which leads to this great speech near the end when they have the chance to get their show back.

Spanky: "Don't you see? If I can't fart, or vomit, or fill up an ice tray with the afterbirth of Foxxy's miscarriage and hand them out as ice pops to terminally ill children on my hospital tours without making some kind of "point", then maybe it's just not worth it"

Ling-Ling: "Maybe Spanky right. Ling-Ling like belittling almost half of world's population for no reason"

Captain Hero: "And I don't wanna let dead chicks fuck me in my mouth for social commentary. I mean, what's wrong with doing it because it makes me feel good?"

Foxxy: "You know what? I agree with the pig"

Toot; "Thank you"

Spanky: "So you see, Mr. Make-a-point Wizard, I guess we don't wanna make a point after all. Maybe that's the point"
    How to remaster

I'm not your friend-o Cartoonnetwork's Avatar
    Blog Entries

[QUOTE=Shaunbadia;3078655]
    Quote Originally Posted by Cartoonnetwork View Post
    Did you ever hear about the other ideas for episode they had if the show had gotten renewed?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clerks:...but_never_made
    [/B]
    Heh, some of those sound actually pretty funny, especially the ones about KITT and the one about Silent Bob running the store while Jay joins a boy band.

I usually prefer Kevin Smith making 'realistic' stories and dialogue (I'd even include Mallrats in 'realistic') rather than him doing outlandish 'spoofs' with fantasy elements, mostly cause I think it's more original to do the first thing while everybody is doing spoofs. But Clerks The Animated Series usually worked well in both aspects, sometimes it portrayed the characters in a realistic fashion, other times it was completely wacky. It was a little like Family Guy and Futurama but it was funnier than the first and more mundane than the second (or at least the setting was more mundane).

Blog Entries

So this finally was made available to a global audience online (I think officially it was on iTunes or Netflix or something but fucked if I was paying for that).

The first 5-10 minutes are particularly bad, though that's more because I was trying to get used to the crappy animation, which looks like it was made for a cartoon on Romp.com in the vein of "Jake's Booty Call" or something. Another gripe early on is Jason Mewes' voice acting. There's a callback to the line "Hey lady, you ever have your asshole licked by a fat man in an overcoat!!?" from "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back" which right away shows the strain in Jay's voice that's more than likely been done to him by the years of smoking and such. In fairness, after about 10 minutes he seems to clear up a little and has a bit more energy about him, but the start of this movie really just sets you up to feel like this is going to be a grueling experience.

Now, here's the shocking part. There's still quite a few solid laughs scattered throughout. There's also a really shitty running gag where Kevin Smith stops the movie dead in it's tracks as himself in a style somewhat similar to "The Emperor's New Groove", and while the 3rd and final time it happens gets a mild chuckle because it's taking a big shot at some of his less popular films as well as the absence of Mark Hamill as Cock Knocker (In what may be the funniest thing in the whole movie, Tara Strong takes over the role in an attempt to attract bronies, all the while using her Bubbles voice from "The Powerpuff Girls") the first two instances of Smith stoppiing the movie are just fucking abysmal. The first is for an awkward as fuck shot at Michael Bay's upcoming Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles reboot, and the second is so that Smith can make it clear to the audience that some potentially offensive jokes regarding lesbians are not what he actually thinks of them.

Those complaints aside though, the rest of the film is fairly enjoyable. Bare in mind that it's just over an hour long including the credits (There's a post-credits scene that hints at them doing another one of these with a cameo from Stan Lee alongside a stonerised Back to The Future parody) and the most genuinely interesting part of the movie with what I personally felt had the most laughs is a scene in which some of the villains share their strikingly similar origins for them hating Bluntman and Chronic, with the ringleader of the bunch serving as what I guess is a bit of a nod to Harley Quinn in the position of a therapist.

Overall, when compared to the live-action adventures of Jay and Silent Bob within the View Askewniverse, it's bullshit. Though in a way it does feel like something that would exist within that universe as a production similar to the Bluntman and Chronic comics in "Chasing Amy" or the movie that was being made in "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back". I can give this a low ended 3/5 because while it wasn't as awful as I initially expected, it sure as Hell wasn't up to scratch with Smith's previous films featuring Jay and Silent Bob.

Also, @Ryan and @Insomnia, get your asses in here. I know you guys watched this recently too.

10. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Ryan

Blog Entries

Thumbsed you up because that Ninja Turtles bit was one of the most cringiest things I've ever seen, not to mention that the alien aspect of the upcoming Bay TMNT has been eradicated so it doesn't even make sense anymore. Ironically I agree that the third Kevin Smith "break" was the funniest, where he claims it can't be Mark Hammill because Kevin Smith fans should be used to some level of disappointment.

Too bad this was incredibly disappointing all around. It's only 60 minutes long but it feels way longer, the animation is horrid and the gross-out gags are particularly childish. The fifteen minutes they slide over in the middle to focus on two identical villain backstories was just the fucking worst. Yes, that was the joke but oh my god it took up so much freaking time. Losers who spend all their time reading comics and typing on internet newsgroup jokes? In this decade?! Is Smith fucking serious?! Oh and haha a villain who has a giant dick for a head and uses cum as a weapon. Solid material there, Kevin. And a dude who can't keep masturbating and using his... masturbating force as a weapon. Ugh :facemsack:

Really the only actual funny villain is Cock Knocker, and even that wears out quickly because Tara Strong saying naughty words in that voice had already been done a million times in Drawn Together anyways.

This all slides Jay and Silent Bob/Bluntman and Chronic into the the background, and you can feel it. A lot of the time Jason Mewes seems to be going through the motions, and sometimes goes wildly out of character. (the fight scene between him and Cock Knocker in particular was extremely bad) And of course we get treated to the sight of Jay masturbating several times, as well as getting fucked in the ass at the end. Cause this is funneeeee

I will openly admit that it does every now and then elicit a chuckle here and there. The biggest laugh I got aside from the Cock Knocker intro was the final Stan Lee/Doc Brown ending where Jay asks if the Doc can get them some medicinal marijuana. I mean, at least that's a BTTF joke I've never heard before. But overall it's not worth it. The animation is just awful and sometimes looks like it was animated with the same system that Kevin Spencer was, the first 10 minutes in particular are draining which is a series of gags where J&SB keep avoiding the usual superhero origin tropes and it's consistently unfunny but drags and drags and drags, and overall it feels like it's aimed at those who like the more immature humor in Smith's films. There's really no real satire or hubris here... fuck there's not even a dramatic arc in this. It's just 60 minutes of mostly awful jokes.

What I read last night was that the Q&As with Kevin and Jason that followed the screenings on the tour last year elicited far more laughs than the movie did. Oh man if I went to one I would've just been beet red at being in a theater full of people actually watching this. It felt almost embarrassing watching it alone on my computer in my apartment. Seriously, that bad, guys.
    twitter

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotDetector View Post
    Two and a Half Men is no more an "adult show" than "Rocket Power."

12. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Dark Homer

Blog Entries

There was way too much pointless content in here that just made the movie feel longer then it already was. Yes there were a few mild funny moments but overall it was shit. Also I blame Jay on this one, as he was just adapting the comic series that Smith wrote years ago. I'd say the best parts were the Tara Strong thing Bryan Johnson/Walt cameos and (Steve Dave) cameo.

The worst part about this I will most likely spend money on the inevitable blu-ray release just to hear the commentary and to own the whole View Askewniverse collection.
    Last edited by Insomnia; 05-26-2014 at 01:01 PM.

Blog Entries

For reasons beyond my comprehension, they're doing a sequel.
    http://www.bubbleblabber.com/jay-say...n-movie-works/

Remember Me As I Was 1010011010's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Just gonna use this thread for Kevin Smith news, cause why not.

New Jay and Silent Bob movie has just been announced, called Jay and Silent Bob Reboot, a sequel to Strikes Back 'cept now stopping a Bluntman/Chronic reboot (and yes, it's live action).

Oh, and both Clerks 3 and the Mallrats series are cancelled. Jeff Anderson dropped out before filming, and Smith can't buy the rights for Mallrats. Big fucking bummer those are officially dead, but at least a new Jay/Silent Bob film is coming out of it, hopefully like one of his previous comedy films.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn...?client=safari
    Just because I'm stupider than them, they think they're smarter than me!
    Simpsons Season 27 Ratings:
    Every Man's Dream-4.8/10 Cue Detective-6/10 Puffless-7/10 Halloween of Horror-8.4/10 Treehouse of Horror XXVI-(4.5, 5, 3.5) 4.25/10 Friend With Benefit-5/10 Lisa With An 'S'-5.5/10 Paths of Glory--/10 Barthood--/10 The Girl Code--/10 Teenage Mutant Milk-Caused Hurdles--/10 Much Apu About Something--/10 Gal of Constant Sorrow--/10 Love Is in the N2-O2-Ar-CO2-Ne-He-CH4--/10 Lisa the Veterinarian--/10 The Marge-ian Chronicles--/10 The Burns Cage--/10 How Lisa Got Her Marge Back--/10 Fland Canyon--/10 Simprovised--/10 To Courier With Love--/10 Orange is the New Yellow--/10
    Futurama Season 7B Ratings:
    2-D Blacktop-7.5/10 Fry and Leela's Big Fling-7.9/10 T.: The Terrestrial-8.2/10 Forty Percent Leadbelly-6.8/10 The Inhuman Torch-8.4/10 Saturday Morning Fun Pit-(9, 7, 8.5) 8.2/10 Calculon 2.0-8.7/10 Assie Come Home-8.5/10 Leela and the Genestalk-7.2/10 Game of Tones-9.2/10 Murder on The Planet Express-9/10 Stench and Stenchibility-8.5/10 Meanwhile-9.5/10
    Jumping the Shark since 1998...
    Alternate Ending Winner of NHC Survivor Season 1

Blog Entries

kevin smith should really just stop, no one was actually looking forward to sequels to clerks and mallrats anyways. just stop dude, stick to your little tours and podcasts and whatnot.
    Fuck Donald Trump. #NotMyPresident

Blog Entries

Good on Jeff Anderson if that's true

Blog Entries

honestly kind of disappointed about no clerks 3

Blog Entries

Damn, I was actually really looking forward to that Mallrat series, I'm fine without a Clerks 3 tbh I feel like the story for Dante and Randal was complete already after the sequel.

I hope this one actually gets made, Kevin has had a really bad track record for getting his films made in the last decade, he gets so many ideas and puts them out there for the public but they never get off the ground. But this one seems pretty concrete already so I have faith it will get made.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by comeau View Post
    no one was actually looking forward to sequels to clerks and mallrats anyways.
    I don't think anyone really gave much of a fuck about the Mallrats show but plenty seemed to be looking forward to Clerks 3 the closer and closer it seemed to be getting to a reality before it died on its ass.

Ill-Mannered Sack of Crap LosTickaToeRest's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Screw Mallrats in general but Clerks 3 could have been nice. Still wish they got a chance to make the animated movie before it evidently morphed into... this. And honestly the thought of a Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back sequel just makes me groan. Unpopular opinion but I loathe that movie and even liked Cop Out more. Still thinking of checking this here cartoon thing out but I just can't get past the animation.
    Earth. Atomizer. Let's go.

Blog Entries

@LosTickaToeRest if you didn't like Strike Back you're gonna completely and utterly detest the cartoon movie and probably loathe yourself for watching it. I say this as someone who actually found some small semblance of enjoyment to be had while watching it.

Thread Information