View Poll Results: What is your favorite Star Wars movie?

Voters
121. You may not vote on this poll
  • Episode I: The Phantom Menace

8 6.61%
  • Episode II: Attack Of The Clones

2 1.65%
  • Episode III: Revenge Of The Sith

8 6.61%
  • Episode IV: A New Hope

25 20.66%
  • Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

61 50.41%
  • Episode VI: Return Of The Jedi

14 11.57%
  • Episode VII: The Force Awakens

2 1.65%
  • Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

1 0.83%
  • Episode VIII: The Last Jedi

0 0%
Page 41 of 47 FirstFirst ... 3132333435363738394041424344454647 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,230 of 1405

Thread: STAR WARS (untagged spoilers, yo)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

don't quite cover all CousinMerl's Avatar

It's gonna feel kinda wierd watching a big-budget, theatrical Star Wars film with no Jedi or lightsabers (as it looks like), but it makes it all the more interesting and intriguing; all of the trailers have looked quite good in my eyes so I'm not doubtful about it.
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 12-09-2016 at 12:00 PM.

Ill-Mannered Sack of Crap LosTickaToeRest's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yeah, that's what's got me excited. I love the idea of getting to see more fringe parts of the Star Wars galaxy with different stuff going on and a different tone because it's focusing on different stuff. Some of the weirder/darker EU stuff out there always made me wish we got a movie like that. Like some of the gritty noirish and damn-near-horror stuff in the KOTOR games. New Star Wars is (generally) good news but the unfamiliar focus this movie will have is what's most interesting for me - like, you've got a whole universe out there, can we please follow someone other than the friggin' Skywalkers for once?
    Earth. Atomizer. Let's go.

3. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Torrens

Blog Entries

@LosTickaToeRest: I agree. I think the Han Solo movie could go either way but I'm interested in seeing a more expanded side of Han's seedy life (and in general, the seedy lives of SW smugglers and criminals) before helping out the Rebellion, especially since it's being described as like a Western in tone. I also hope Star Wars 1313 gets revived.

I'd also really love to see the planned backstory that Lucas and IIRC one of the writers for The Shield were working out about Palpatine because apparently it's pretty dark and tragic. My dream project would be if we got an adult-oriented SW Netflix show along the same lines of Daredevil and Jessica Jones because I can see a young Palpatine in the process of being corrupted becoming as great as Wilson Fisk or Kilgrave, and as multilayered. If Disney buys out Netflix that might actually happen, which would be cool as shit.

Ill-Mannered Sack of Crap LosTickaToeRest's Avatar
    Blog Entries

So one of the screenwriters of Rogue One made a comment on Twitter saying that the Empire are white supremacists and now they're getting piled on by Trumpthumpers whose ears started burning despite no actual mention of God Emperor. So now there's a boycott because people are convinced the movie will be liberal propaganda (Star Wars characters fighting fascist regimes? Fuck, now we've heard everything. Fuckin' SJWs having to make everything about oppression). Just like the last movie had except potentially more obnoxious. Once again, the people telling everyone else to "get over it" are the thinnest-skinned people on the planet. This is going to be good.

Blog Entries

It honestly is a weird statement to make (especially since a large amount of the EU explicitly paints them as being anti-alien to varying degrees, not anti-different races of humans... IIRC there really has never been any exploration of any same-species racism when it comes to humans in SW, ever, and especially now since we've seen people of different races and colors on both the FO and Republic's sides in TFA). I have absolutely no complaints if racist former "fans" decide to boycott the film though because OMG FORCED DIVERSITY.

I'm sure Kathleen Kennedy will just say something pithy in any response that will whip them into a froth, like when she addressed the "issue" of having two films back to back with (gasp) women leads and she said that the franchise had catered to men for a long time and she didn't feel like she owed men anything. I need to look it up because it was an awesome quote.
    Last edited by Torrens; 12-13-2016 at 08:50 AM.

Banned
    standing atop the ruins of OSS' crushed dreams

TMZ's reporting Carrie Fisher suffered a massive heart attack aboard a plane

https://www.tmz.com/2016/12/23/carri...-attack-plane/

Awful news. I hope she pulls through.

A Flying Saucer Orbiting Earth's Remaining Moon

Quote Originally Posted by Torrens View Post
    @LosTickaToeRest: I agree. I think the Han Solo movie could go either way but I'm interested in seeing a more expanded side of Han's seedy life (and in general, the seedy lives of SW smugglers and criminals) before helping out the Rebellion, especially since it's being described as like a Western in tone. I also hope Star Wars 1313 gets revived.
    I'd put good money on Han shooting first at some point in the film.
    Quote Originally Posted by morbot
    Thats the dumbest thing I think I've ever read... and I only read bits of it.

i fall and i fall and i fall bias's Avatar
    Blog Entries

is anyone else kinda happy there's not been a teaser or anything for episode 8 yet? i'm hoping we won't get a trailer for a long time now, keep the surprises hidden

i know it's a long shot considering advertisements bring in the people and therefore the money but releasing next to nothing about this movie sans a title and maybe a trailer or two would make the experience so much better
    Quote Originally Posted by kupomog
    father dies while son tinychats

I read that the trailer is very likely to come out in the spring next year so we won't be without a trailer for very long.
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 12-27-2016 at 05:30 AM.

Blog Entries

Random Star Wars thought (but one I've been having for a while): I really wish (hope) that Lupita Nyong'o plays a black (human) woman in some sort of Star Wars film. I don't care if it's an anthology one or episode 9, I just really think it would be amazing and inclusive to have a dark-skinned black woman (and of course she's an amazing actor, too) in a franchise that's still really, really short on black women leading characters (except for Rae Sloane, who so far is books only).

I mean, she's great as Maz, and I like Maz as a character a lot, but I'm still kind of disappointed that we don't get to see in her in person, as it were.

She could have played that hooded senator who appears in Rogue One and has a bit of dialogue; that would have been a good small part for her.

Blog Entries

Ep 8 title announced as "The Last Jedi": https://twitter.com/starwars/status/823561256078548992

I dunno, I like it. Confirms a nice, dark tone appropriate for this one.

Sounds good, if kinda definitive (feels like I just recently heard that exact title somewhere online, btw).

Blog Entries

yeah, sounds dark but heroic. hope luke doesn't go in this one, because that's what it sounds like it's hinting at
    Quote Originally Posted by Elliot76 View Post
    don't feel threatened by a dude who gargles mayonnaise

Blog Entries

One of the upcoming Star Wars books actually reveals the fate of Jar Jar after the events of the prequels.

Turns out after Episode III, everyone blamed him for helping Palpatine form the Empire (since he was the one who convinced everyone to let Palpatine stay in office in Episode II). Now he lives in exile on the streets of Naboo, working as a clown who is only liked by little kids, as all the adults hate and shun him.

18. Thumbs Up To This Post by: pax

Blog Entries

That is super dark, but ultimately satisfying because you kind of expected him to become a hated outcast after all of it. Plus, real world anology and all

I guess that's what you could call fan service

But in all honesty, I do feel bad for the guy; he's thought he was doing a good thing proposing to give Palpatine emergency powers and now he's essentially been reduced to less than he was in Episode I.

Blog Entries

would have rather had some sort of allusion to him being dead, but I guess this is ok. a little too meta and fan servicey tbh but its fine since I doubt I'll ever read this book

Blog Entries

Honestly, I'm just amazed they didn't bring Jar Jar back just to violently kill him off.

I think this an ultimately pretty satisfying way to end Jar Jar's story, it gives the fandom a lot of fanservice by having Jar Jar actually punished for his idiocy and having people's reactions to him mirror how people reacted to Jar Jar in real life, but it also makes him almost pitiable because he wasn't intentionally a bad person, and now he's a pathetic loser who has nothing left.

Blog Entries

honestly, hearing about what happens to jar-jar kind of bums me out

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    Honestly, I'm just amazed they didn't bring Jar Jar back just to violently kill him off.
    Actually, one of the ideas for TFA that got dropped was that you would see some Gungan bones somewhere, with the implication that it was Jar Jar. I hate the character as well but I think that would have been going too far (plus you'd really have to hammer it into the audience that it was Jar Jar and not just some random Gungan corpse; I personally think it would have been distracting in a way that the other PT and OT allusions in the film weren't, like having Anakin's old pod racing flag at Maz's castle, or Rey's old Rebel pilot's helmet.

I think this an ultimately pretty satisfying way to end Jar Jar's story, it gives the fandom a lot of fanservice by having Jar Jar actually punished for his idiocy and having people's reactions to him mirror how people reacted to Jar Jar in real life, but it also makes him almost pitiable because he wasn't intentionally a bad person, and now he's a pathetic loser who has nothing left.
    Yeah, agreed. Jar Jar is one of those characters that was never portrayed very well in the PT and that I was hoping would get a huge upgrade in The Clone Wars series, like Anakin and Darth Maul had. Unfortunately that didn't really happen, but at least he was in it less. This is actually some interesting development and makes the character somewhat tragic.

Like basically every other idea that Lucas had for the PT, Jar Jar could have been a good character, but he was just handled wrong.

I personally think it would have been distracting in a way that the other PT and OT allusions in the film weren't, like having Anakin's old pod racing flag at Maz's castle, or Rey's old Rebel pilot's helmet.
    Actually, the podracer flags in Maz's flag collection were removed in the final version (they were there in the trailer) which I think was a bullshit move; I'm pretty sure that they saw that people noticed the flags (there was even a thread on some forum where a fan pointed out the origins of the various flags) and deleted them in because they felt like "They saw them so easily. Maybe we're going overboard with the PT references?" or something. Disney has been very sparse with prequel references outside Star Wars Rebels so I wouldn't be surprised if them chickening out is something of a truth.

Jar Jar is one of those characters that was never portrayed very well in the PT and that I was hoping would get a huge upgrade in The Clone Wars series, like Anakin and Darth Maul had. Unfortunately that didn't really happen, but at least he was in it less. This is actually some interesting development and makes the character somewhat tragic.
    I never really minded Jar Jar in the prequels (I still don't) but I do think he was improved in The Clone Wars series; a character like him getting a huge upgrade was pretty much never gonna happen, but what he got was nice, including a bit of development; I liked that and it seems like others did too, even some of those who didn't like him before that.

Still, this way to downgrading him to a literal fool was an interesting, if depressing, road to take the character. However, I do kind of hope they maybe find a way for him to redeem himself, both in-story and for fans; that would be even more interesting.

Blog Entries

I think that Disney has less control over the franchise/Lucasfilm than most people think. I think it's sort of like with Marvel where they supervise things from a distance but are otherwise very hands-off. I didn't realize they were deleted from the film, I'll go back and check my blu ray of TFA for that. Kind of disappointing.

I also think that Lucasfilm is starting to put their toes back into the PT era - I mean you've got all the Darth Maul stuff on Rebels and now we have a whole book (Catalyst) that's mostly set in the PT era from what I've heard of it. And then in the Aftermath novels there are a lot of references to PT and OT era hardware, like Mr. Bones (one of my favorite droid characters in the series, hands down), and now Jar Jar.

Blog Entries

From what I know, the one insistence Iger and Disney had with Lucasfilm was to pretty much ignore the bulk of the prequels and focus on the OT nostalgia and moving forward with the ST/Anthology films.

Blog Entries

Canonizing clone wars and putting a number of its characters in rebels seems like... the opposite of that

Blog Entries

But Rebels isn't overly reliant on the prequels and the progression heavily moves towards OT, correct?

Blog Entries

I guess (haven't watched past season 1), but the idea they're ignoring the prequels still seems like baseless fan paranoia to me. Like, what prequel-era material do fans think disney is holding back?

Blog Entries

Actually, the current Star Wars comics at Marvel have been pretty upfront about mentioning the prequels, even though most of them take place during the original trilogy, like having Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon showing up in their Episode I designs during a flashback arc about Yoda in the main comic, or having Leia finding herself oddly drawn to looking at a portrait of Padme on Naboo in the Leia mini-series.

Darth Vader's own book had the most open references to the prequels, giving us scenes such as Vader flashbacking to Episode III when he realizes that the rebel who destroyed the Death Star is his son, or when he has a hallucination relieving the end of battle on Mustafar with Obi-Wan. Not to mention that Disney Infinity 3.0 had a whole line centered around The Clone Wars cartoon (including a starter pack), which obviously takes place in the prequel era.

So no, I don't believe in the whole idea that Disney is trying to completely ignore the prequels. Disney paid billions of dollars for Star Wars, and I believe they will try to make as much money from every facet of the franchise as they possibly can.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Squid View Post
    Depends, do you just want the best episodes period or do you want the episodes that are both good and build on the movies (major plot points, characters, etc)?

---

For just generally good episodes, I'd suggest:
    Rookies
    Umbara arc: Darkness on Umbara, The General, Plan of Dissent, Carnage of Krell
    Lightsaber Lost
    Rako Hardeen arc - Deception, Friends and Enemies, The Box, Crisis on Naboo - just a fun arc where Obi-Wan goes undercover. Reminded me of You Only Live Twice in that he fakes his death.

For episodes that build on plot points from the movies, I'd suggest:
    Boba Fett arc: Death Trap, R2 Come Home, Lethal Trackdown - Boba gets his revenge on Mace Windu
    Yoda arc: The Lost One, Voices, Destiny, Sacrifice - explains force ghosts, who ordered the clone army
    Fives arc: The Unknown, Conspiracy, Fugitive, Orders - explains the Order 66 protocol
    Heroes on Both Sides - explores why good people joined the Separatists
    Mortis arc: Overlords, Altar of Mortis, Ghosts of Mortis - controversial episode that is pretty mindbending and explores the force, Qui-Gon and Anakin's mom cameo (or do they!?)
    Tarkin arc: The Citadel, Counter Attack, Citadel Rescue - Tarkin's introduction to the series, shows how he and Anakin came to respect one another
    Chewbacca arc: Padawan Lost, Wookie Hunt - not vital viewing, but it is cool seeing Chewbacca in the series
    A War on Two Fronts, Frontrunners, The Soft War, Tipping Points - a look at how the Republic supported what would later become a Rebel cel

I totally skipped over some arcs that feature great characters. Anything with Hondo Ohnaka, Cad Bane, and the whole Ventress/Maul/Savage multi-arc series I really enjoyed. There are also some essential Ahsoka episodes that are great, especially season fives finale episodes, but to appreciate them I feel you'd have to be watching the whole series through.
    Hey I forgot to mention that I finally got around to finishing this list, along with some extras, and enjoyed it. Thanks so much again. I think my favorites are heroes on both sides and pursuit of peace which have piqued my interest in the politics of star wars. Also thankful that I watched the onderon arc before rogue one.

Thread Information