View Poll Results: What is your favorite Star Wars movie?

Voters
122. You may not vote on this poll
  • Episode I: The Phantom Menace

8 6.56%
  • Episode II: Attack Of The Clones

2 1.64%
  • Episode III: Revenge Of The Sith

8 6.56%
  • Episode IV: A New Hope

25 20.49%
  • Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

61 50.00%
  • Episode VI: Return Of The Jedi

14 11.48%
  • Episode VII: The Force Awakens

2 1.64%
  • Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

2 1.64%
  • Episode VIII: The Last Jedi

0 0%
Page 34 of 47 FirstFirst ... 242526272829303132333435363738394041424344 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 1407

Thread: STAR WARS (untagged spoilers, yo)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

The Han and Leia stuff is exactly what I was sad about in my initial review post.

Also Rey isn't explicitly shown to have had training yet, but I think it's clear she's absolutely getting into Kylo Ren's head when he uses the Force and she sees what he does. She is learning from him; she needs a teacher after all. He literally is showing her the way of the Force but not how he wants. And she's already capable at fighting with her staff, shouldn't be too hard for her to figure out the lightsaber. Certainly easier for her than Finn.

Anyway this is a series starring Gary Stus so if she's a Mary Sue whatever.
    facebook / twitter / tumblr
    round and round let the city turn party in the hills we can party in the burbs roof on fire let it burn champagne in my hand I'm not concerned

2. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Ryan

Blog Entries

plus in ANH Luke doesn't even know what the force even is (let alone Jedi mind tricks and such) until he meets Obi Wan. likewise in Rey it's already set up that she's grown up on the legend and the myth of the Jedi, the force and Luke Skywalker.

she has a frame of reference, just learns that "oh shit I have these powers I've heard about before and just learned are real"... and it naturally progresses from there.

luke has what? twenty minutes of training before obi wan dies and then blows up a giant death star using the force?
    twitter

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotDetector View Post
    Two and a Half Men is no more an "adult show" than "Rocket Power."

Hired Goon

Lucas, u mad bro?

Blog Entries

i mean i can kinda see what he's saying in a minute way. it's clear from the prequels that what he ultimately wanted from star wars was for it to be an effects extravaganza, showing off the wonders of what new state of the art special effects can bring. and this new one coming along kind of disrespects that vision. in no way do i agree with him, ep VII is leagues ahead of any of the prequels, but it's clearly not what he wanted from the franchise. he's also gotta be jealous that this new generation is already so readily accepted, so maybe he's blowing off a bit of steam there too. it's kind of hard not to feel sorry for the guy a bit (the slave comparison tho.... just no)

7. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Gatorgod, Ryan

Hired Goon

Yeah, he instantly lost any sympathy he would have gotten with that white slavers quip. I can sort of see his point of view too, but nobody FORCED him (ha, unintentional pun) to sell the franchise to Disney. He still could have made Episode 7 the way he wanted, but he didn't. He had his chance, and he didn't take it.

Honestly he just comes off as a jealous ex-boyfriend.

don't quite cover all CousinMerl's Avatar

This is pretty wierd. Around the time TFA was released earlier this month Lucas' said that he had seen the movie, really liked it and thought that Disney did a good job and now we get this where he essentially bashes both the movie and Disney and complains about it being nothing like he intended it to be; he changed his mind really quickly there.

Hired Goon

I think the first time, he just said he "liked it, but fans will love it," so I got the impression he was just being polite. Either that, or now that he's had time to reflect (and also see how it massacred at the box office), he did change his thoughts a bit.

He flip flops all the time. First he says absolutely NO Star Wars VII-IX, then says no yes I want to make them, then says nevermind just VII, then says nah Disney can have it it's all good and it's better this way because I've got family to raise. Now they're white slavers. Next year they'll be Jedi Saviors.

12. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Gatorgod

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by handsome_devil View Post
    i mean i can kinda see what he's saying in a minute way. it's clear from the prequels that what he ultimately wanted from star wars was for it to be an effects extravaganza, showing off the wonders of what new state of the art special effects can bring. and this new one coming along kind of disrespects that vision. in no way do i agree with him, ep VII is leagues ahead of any of the prequels, but it's clearly not what he wanted from the franchise. he's also gotta be jealous that this new generation is already so readily accepted, so maybe he's blowing off a bit of steam there too. it's kind of hard not to feel sorry for the guy a bit (the slave comparison tho.... just no)
    wasn't Lucas' main two goals with the prequels to
    A) take advantage of CGI effects and
    B) make the films more for children?

the latter always struck me as a subtle nod to the fact that Lucas was more into reclaiming the lucrative byproduct of the OT wherein kids get into it and stay fans for life. I mean, this was evident with Ewoks in Jedi. It's always been somewhat misguided in what actually achieves that.

George will still make royalties off TFA, especially the merch. so the very idea of making the films aimed at older Star Wars fans while simultaneously updating it for new generations in matching the pacing and more sly type of humor rather than strictly old corny serials has got to infuriate him in some respect. combine that with the two bil they already made in toys alone and that kids are getting into Star Wars by bridging generation gaps rather than shutting it off... you can sense the jealousy. JJ Abrams accomplished what he couldn't in both the quality AND the business sense. so of course he's going to write off TFA as just a "retro movie" rather than something that might stand the test of time. God forbid somebody outdid his efforts in reintroducing Star Wars that wasn't how he ever saw it. All that money if proof that his take on it is something that everybody rejects.

Blog Entries

That was great! AMAZING action and special effects, BB-8 was just adorable, and It was nice to see the return of old friends. The plot was good too. I had difficulty understanding how the map related to the base at first, but then i figured it out. I didn't really like the darker approach they took to the movie (The finale especially was really dark), as it felt like trying to copy the Hunger Games, but still, great. 9/10.
    You're a dolt with the IQ of a peabrain that probably loves lowbrow sitcoms like The Big Bang Theory, Frasier and Seinfeld to not grasp the biting satire and wit of the classic 65 (Rugrats).

i fall and i fall and i fall bias's Avatar
    Blog Entries

are you fucking kidding me egg
    copying the hunger games
    Quote Originally Posted by kupomog
    father dies while son tinychats

Blog Entries

well that's a new one

I haven't seen those but I'm guessing those who have will say that's bullshit?

i fall and i fall and i fall bias's Avatar
    Blog Entries

it is most definitely bullshit

Blog Entries

I guess that was a stupid comparison.

don't quite cover all CousinMerl's Avatar

I must say that even though Lucas worded his negative opinions poorly in the interview (slavers, really?) and does seem bitter, I can understand him to a point; a poster on IMDB said the following in his thread "George Lucas Says Disney's Star Wars Direction is Wrong..." and I do find myself in agreement.

He (Lucas) had ideas for another trilogy set after IV, V, and VI.

He says they didn't want his ideas and if he was involved in the new films he would muck it up. Then he went on to say that they weren't interested in creating something new, but a "retro" Star Wars. He said you can say whatever you want about his films, but they were new and inventive. He believes in trying something new and moving forward.

I kind of agree with him on this. Movies should continue to try and break new ground. You sometimes get a festering turd, other times you get a masterpiece, but you roll the dice, you take what you get.
    Making TFA a more nostalgic movie which borrows a lot from the original trilogy wasn't wrong (probably a good choice for the introductory film of the new trilogy), but it did suffer a bit from not doing a whole lot of new stuff like the prequels did (for better or for worse); still, Disney and Abrams did a great job injecting life and energy into the franchise for a lot of fans and I'm sure that the following two episodes will do new and fresh things.

I like how they stayed away from CGI as much as possible on Jakku.. BB 8 and all those large creatures marching around, being puppet controlled like the classic Jabba was. I hope that critter drinking out of a trough with finn was a large puppet .. if not? ..still looked good either way.

what new ground did the prequels break? unless he just meant technological ground with the cgi, but even that is questionable at best. he even said something about how the first movie of the prequels should hit a lot of the same beats as ANH, didn't he? something about it being "like poetry, with different stanzas"?

also, he whined that the movies aren't just space fights and are supposed to be about family drama, particularly between fathers and sons.....wasn't that exactly what the new movie centered around? and how is ANY of that in the prequels anyway? instead of having some issue with anakin and his father he literally made him fatherless. like, if he wants to criticize the movie, more power to him, but he's not even making sense with his criticisms

22. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Ryan

Food-Crazed Maniac Oh, that's raspberry!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

I liked Force Awakens. Objectively probably the third or fourth best film in the franchise. Personally I'd rank it fifth favorite ahead of Menace and Clones. I enjoyed Sith more simply because of how central Palpatine is to it as he's my favorite Star Wars character. His equivalent Snoke doesn't do much for me so far, but I am hoping that rumor/theory about him being Darth Plagueis is legit. I'd love that reveal.

That aside uhhh yeah, it was good. Wish we knew more about Max Von Sydow's character before he bit it. Captain Phasma was pointless, but her time will come later I guess. Han was obviously dying there. Ford wanted out as early as Empire anyway so his death wasn't shocking or really unexpected. It was smart of them to have Kylo Ren fear not living up to Darth Vader since that's what the fans would naturally worry about. And he's a different kind of villain. Nowhere near as good as OT Vader for me, but then he's still growing. I do think those weird tentacle monsters Han was smuggling looked out of place and not very Star Warsy. Even the prequels had better creature design than those things. The movie really had me hooked right when Luke appeared so...the end naturally. I do hope and think VIII will be better, and hopefully not as derivative of Empire as this was of Hope.

Beyond the point of no return Xaiv's Avatar
    Blog Entries

What can I say that hasn't already been said? To start off, I'd rank TFA above any of the prequel movies. The writing is better, the direction is better, the plot is better. It was a fun, cohesive story with relatable, alive characters. As an opener to the new trilogy, I think it played it safe - it seems that TFA was an introduction to the world. We learned of The First Order (and villains) and The Resistance (and heroes), got reintroduced to the old gang and learned that Luke has been in hiding for years; the galaxy is essentially in a state of disarray. As an opener to the trilogy, I think it did the job well. It planted everyone back into the galaxy and its current conflict thirty years later. It didn't try to break new ground and I think it's closeness to ANH is kind of an homage, not something they depended on.

I just hope they make Kylo Ren more intimidating and daunting - at this point, he seems like a moody kid and that's fine but I just hope they know what they're doing. I'm sure they do. This is a multibillion dollar franchise. I hope they really transform Kylo into something truly disgusting and evil, we have the unstable and emotional kid in Episode VII that we'll be able to compare his character to in the future movies so I hope they don't let that go to waste. Loved the lightsaber scenes near the end, I think it was pretty obvious that Ren could've struck down Finn whenever he wanted (and did when Finn got that hit on his shoulder) and just loved how badass Rey became when she channeled the force and took Kylo down. Another nice touch added in was Kylo Ren just absolutely taking the hit from Chewie's crossbow. They had shown how devastating it was several times throughout the movie and Ren powered through it. That, along with his strong powers of mind control (during the interrogation of Rey), shows just how powerful he really is. If he were to hone and sharpen his set of skills, he may truly be unstoppable... and that's exciting.

Really fun movie, really awesome characters. I can't wait to see how the rest of the trilogy fares.
    Last edited by Xaiv; 01-03-2016 at 09:37 AM.

Anybody else get the feeling that Phasma is this trilogy's answer to Boba Fett?
    To clarify, I mean the character has very little screen time, yet is getting lots of fan attention for some reason. I mean, she does have a cool outfit, but I just don't see what the big deal is personally.

Blog Entries

the big deal is likely the potential people see in the character. i assume this is what people freaked out about boba for, although people who STILL do confuse me since his story ended with his potential untapped.

i do feel like she will be further utilized later on and there could even be sensible story-based reasons for her sparing usage in VII, but i suppose only time will tell for sure.

Hired Goon

My guess is because she's played by someone who's in Game of Thrones, which is an incredibly popular show. Probably not the entire reason for the hype, but it certainly helps.

Also DAMN, I did not realize Gwendoline Christie was 6'3". Holy crap.

She's also gorgeous. I certainly wouldn't mind an unmasking scene in Ep VIII.

Blog Entries

classic steve

she just looks cool. that's the hype. it's defo the boba fett effect

direct floor engagement steamed_hamms's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Blog Entries

the force awakens overtakes avatar to become the highest grossing film of all time domestically(in the u.s.) today

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...s-force-852274

it still has quite a bit of ground to cover for the world wide record, and most think it won't surpass the grosses of avatar and titanic, resulting in a #3 all time world wide gross.

Quote Originally Posted by steamed_hamms View Post
    There's always a bigger Luke

Blog Entries

So I just watched the movie yesterday, I don't think I'll do a very huge review but just summing up some of my thoughts about it. But to start with I say that I've known Star Wars pretty much as a child, my dad watched these movies and I got to watch it with him even when I was way too young. I sure as hell remember the spaceship battles being pretty. I also collected some Star Wars toys and did some of the most stupidest crossovers with other toys that you can think off, like letting SW characters fight dinosaurs, or Superman, or even fucking Lego construction workers. Though I wasn't exactly overexcited to see this movie, I could've watched it at day 1 but with all the fuss thats going on about the IP, I didn't want to bother and just wait it out till yesterday. If anything, its good that I didn't went in with too high expectations.

So here are some random thoughts:

- The beginning started off really strong, lots of action and in a dark way executing innocent civilians. It did a solid job setting up the plots for both Poe Dameron and Finn.
    - Poe Dameron is quite a good character from what I've seen so far, kinda reminds me of a young Han Solo who I'd like to see more
    - Finn is also quite good despite some forced dialogue. But I liked how they actually pick out a random Storm Trooper that actually thinks for himself, now having such a huge role as one of the main characters
    - The relationship with Poe and Finn is amazing, yet didn't last long after the beginning.
    - THERE'S ACTUAL BLOOD IN STAR WARS???!!!
    - I love BB-8, simple yet cute design and I like howhe reacts tot higns or just tries to communicate.
    - Kylo Ren is a character I have mixed feelings about. I think he's whinier and more emo than Anakin in the prequels, yet I think his character has great potential to be so much more in the sequels. Though in this movie he hasn't impressed me.
    - The escaping scene with Poe and Finn was awesome.
    - Also having mixed feelings about Rey, but like Kylo I think she could be developed a lot better in the sequels. In this movie she felt too much like a Mary Sue, but she was still enjoyable enough for me to like the movie despite her being the main character.
    - Rey's scenes in Jakku felt kinda boring, I liked her piloting the Millennium Falcon though.
    - Han Solo and Chewie are back!!!
    - Wtf was up with the CGI of these Rathtars? Seems like that won't be aging well.
    - And wtf was up with that scene where General Hux went full Nazi-mode with the First Order? Kinda strange scene to watch... cool laser effects though that happened afterwards
    - So now we have a THIRD Death Star? But not just an ordinary Death Star... THIS ONE IS BIGGER, SO MUCH ORGINALITY!
    - AND IT DESTROYS 5 PLANETS INSTEAD OF 1??!! ORGINALITY OVERWHELMS ME!
    - The bar scene and First Order vs Resistance battle was pretty cool I guess, even watching Finn go full noob with Luke's lightsaber.
    - Good to see Leia, C-3PO and R2D2 back.
    - Rey escaped her imprisonment pretty easily, but the way the 2 Storm Troopers walker away after a furious kylo is the funniest thing this movie has.
    - Rey is quite a pro with the Force and lightsaber battles despite never being trained... like, at all.
    - Han's confrontation with Kylo was pretty good, though I didn't care much for his death for some reason. Dunno why.
    - I liked the more original lightsaber battle returning, pretty good fight.
    - Good ending, and Luke's back.

Now to judge the good and bad things.

THE GOOD:

- A lot of action scenes
    - Solid acting
    - Most of the new characters are likeable. My favorites being Finn, Poe and BB-8
    - Good use of old characters, they have pretty much stayed in character after such a huge time gap between the originals.
    - Some nice music tracks

THE BAD:

- The plot is way to similiar to episodes 4 plot, an overall huge lack of orginality
    - I thought Kylo Ren is (so far) the worst Star Wars villain
    - Rey felt to ''perfect'', or as I've called her, a Mary Sue
    - The use of a 3rd Death Star felt really lazy to me, no matter how much bigger it is 

So overall, its still a good movie but it has its flaws. I would actually call it ''good/great for a standalone movie, kinda dissapointing for SW fans looking for orginality''. I'm actually not sure if I prefer it over the sequels which I don't even find that bad, but I guess its atleast better than episode 1 and 2. I might like it over episode 6 aswell. So far my rating will be:

7.5/10
    Episodes rated best and worst from each season:
    1: Krusty Gets Busted/Homer's Night Out 2: The Way We Was/Bart's Dog Gets an F 3: Colonel Homer/Dog of Death 4: Marge vs. The Monorail/So It's Come to This: A Simpsons Clip Show 5: Cape Feare/Bart Gets An Elephant 6: Treehouse of Horror V/Another Simpsons Clip Show 7: Mother Simpson/Homerpalooza 8: You Only Move Twice/The Canine Mutiny 9: Lisa's Sax/The Two Mrs. Nahasapeemapetilons 10: Lisa Gets an A/Sunday Cruddy Sunday 11: Behind The Laughter/Beyond Blunderdome 12: Trilogy of Error/The Computer Wore Menace Shoes 13: I Am Furious Yellow/Homer the Moe 14: The Dad Who Knew Too Little/Large Marge 15: The Way We Weren't/Diatribe of a Mad Housewife 16: Thank God Its Doomsday/Mommie Beerest 17: Marge's Son Poisoning/Bonfire of the Manatees 18: Marge Gamer/Revenge is Best Served Three Times 19: Treehouse of Horror XVIII/That 90's Show 20: Gone Maggie Gone/Coming To Homerica 21: O Brother, Where Bart thou?/The Devil Wears Nada 22: Homer Scissorhands/The Fool Monty 23: Holidays of Future Passed/Moe Goes From Rags To Riches 24: Adventures In Baby-Getting/Whiskey Business 25: Brick Like Me/White Christmas Blues 26: Bart's New Friend/The Musk Who Fell to Earth 27: Halloween of Horror/Every Man's Dream 28: There Will Be Buds/Moho House 29: Gone Boy/Throw Grampa from the Dane

Blog Entries

there was blood in new hope!!

saw this today and it was fantastic
    i did find the han solo death scene predictable tho
    saw it coming a mile away
    stoked to see how this series progresses

Thread Information