View Poll Results: What is your favorite Star Wars movie?

Voters
123. You may not vote on this poll
  • Episode I: The Phantom Menace

8 6.50%
  • Episode II: Attack Of The Clones

2 1.63%
  • Episode III: Revenge Of The Sith

8 6.50%
  • Episode IV: A New Hope

25 20.33%
  • Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

61 49.59%
  • Episode VI: Return Of The Jedi

15 12.20%
  • Episode VII: The Force Awakens

2 1.63%
  • Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

2 1.63%
  • Episode VIII: The Last Jedi

0 0%
Page 31 of 47 FirstFirst ... 212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast

Thread: STAR WARS (untagged spoilers, yo)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

don't quite cover all CousinMerl's Avatar

It was a bit hard to hear any music in the movie itself because it was often rather low and got drowned out by all the action and noise of the movie & when I did hear the soundtrack afterwards (and it generally more quiet and low key than the previous soundtracks), I was honestly underwhelmed but after listening to it a few times I gotta say it's growing on me, despite not having any overtly memorable music themes like the other films (however, I find the beginning of Rey's thene and Kylo Ren's theme to be a bit memorable so it's a good start).

If anyone is interested, here are small few pages from TFA's Visual Dictionary (obviously don't look if you don't want to be spoiled)

http://imgur.com/a/7PLzS

My dad and I have collected every Visual Dictionary release so far and have learned so much random trivia so we will certainly pick this one up. Maz Kanata's entry is interesting (particularly a line in the Pirate Legend blurb), as is the info on Ren's saber.
    facebook / twitter / tumblr
    round and round let the city turn party in the hills we can party in the burbs roof on fire let it burn champagne in my hand I'm not concerned

Maz was such a great and fun character (not really incredibly necessary to the plot but still very nicely implemented); however, a lot of people seem to list her as one of the negatives about the film so she's probably the least popular new character. What did you others think of her?

I want to say that they should've used her more but I'm honestly not sure what else she could've done other than sit around in the background, which is actually noted when reading about scenes that didn't make it into the movie. Probably will get what I want in Ep VIII since it seems there is more to her. I don't have any issues with her, though I kinda wish she was not CGI and Lupita could've had a legit costume or outfit. Plus, that line about Chewie she threw out was cute.

Quote Originally Posted by kupomog View Post
    I kinda wish she was not CGI and Lupita could've had a legit costume or outfit.
    I kinda feel the exact same way; there wasn't really any need for her to be a CGI character and not for Snoke to be one either. I wish the two of them would have been done with practical effects and makeup instead.

wanna live like common people Elliot76's Avatar

man this film was so so good. sad i missed the initial forum BUZZ/discussion when it was released but i saw it!
    i literally thought it was consistently fantastic throughout. it did pretty much all of the standard things well. great villain (loved the tie in to vadar and the persona he's trying to create. this worked well because of the fact he was a genuinely threatening villain who had superb screen presence, at least when he had the mask on, yet characterised in a way in which you can see him cracking and losing that edge that he wants so badly. the contrast of him going crazy on whatever is near him vs vadars calm and collected approach is great), great newcomers, great use of the old cast and great pacing.

the use of humour was handled really well too, surprisingly. bb-8's lighter thumbs up was the audience winner for my showing.

going to see it again next week with a different bunch of people and i'm really looking forward to seeing it a second time and seeing people's first reactions to whatever scenes.
    "Maybe there is no moral. Maybe its just a bunch of stuff that happened."
    - The Simpsons

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I really liked this movie despite not being a hardcore SW fan. I haven't seen the original trilogy since the mid 90's before Lucas's "Special" editions and I had no expectations going into this, but I really liked it. The action was constant and the story was compelling enough to keep me entertained, but unless I see it again with a large group, I probably will just buy it on Blu Ray when it comes out. Speaking of which, I'd buy a box set of ep. 4-6, unaltered, if it is ever released.

Overall, I'd give it a 9/10.
    Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

I tried watching a new episode the Simpsons, but I realized the show hit a new low, like a brand new, underground parking structure of sadness.

Wooo! SW Force Awakens was Powerful and Pandering.. The NHC F*[k my parents thread makes sooo much more sense now that i've seen this film! Special effects galore! Robots and more robots! (I can never get enough robots).. The cinematography was Bee-U-teefull from start to finish! The music could've been better, but what the hey, I'm no Mozart either! 9/10

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kupomog View Post
    That's like the only theme that I remember or care about out of the entire movie, tho...
    Even the action stuff didn't stuck out; I was H. E. A. V. Y. into this battle theme from Ep I and was sad I didn't really get anything like that.
    well my point was that there is something of significant substance in the score, although yes the rest of it is fairly weak compared to past SW scores... but I did like how williams tied in some of those old themes

btw so did anybody hear about the huge gaffe by disney earlier today? they released gameplay footage of disney infinity (and immediately recalled it) that probably gave away a spoiler, albeit somewhat of an obvious one for ep 8 (so y'know, WARNING POSSIBLE EP 8 SPOILER)  kylo ren sees rey and calls out to her saying, "face me, cousin!" whoops haha. this kind of validates my thought that the ending was cut short. remember in the second teaser they had luke's (newly recorded) line about the force? I'm guessing that was originally the cliffhanger ending, but JJ and Disney cut it to give the audience even more of a reason to come back for episode 8. I like the idea, because it's the only one that makes sense (unless anakin had an affair during the clone wars and luke had another brother/sister but yea no) and well... who is rey's mom? it's not a pre-existing character, so that's another thread to latch onto for ep 9.

or maybe they changed the story before disney infinity was told and she's not. that would be... weird. 

edit: such has been disproven

...well that was fun
    Last edited by Ryan; 12-24-2015 at 07:16 AM.
    twitter

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotDetector View Post
    Two and a Half Men is no more an "adult show" than "Rocket Power."

Banned
    standing atop the ruins of OSS' crushed dreams

Finally got around to seeing The Force Awakens.

Magnificent film. As I've only just seen it, I wouldn't even hazard a guess as to where I'd specifically rank it among the rest of the series, but it should go without saying that it easily outclasses any of the prequels. Loved the new cast members, loved seeing some old faces again. Unlike the prequels, actually felt like it takes place in the same universe as the OT.

So yeah, very pleased with it. Lives up to the hype and then some.

Blog Entries

quick question. Do I need to see the prequels in order to fully understand/enjoy episode 7, even thought they are apparently awful?

Blog Entries

it basically ignores them completely. they're sequels to the real star wars movies and don't even really reference the prequels once

13. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Kangdos

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    well my point was that there is something of significant substance in the score, although yes the rest of it is fairly weak compared to past SW scores... but I did like how williams tied in some of those old themes
    Yeah I mean it is a good theme. It IS the standout of the score. It's not a BAD score and it never makes any part of the movie worse, just weak compared to previous but I do also enjoy the leitmotifs and musical references. It's just more subdued; he just really didn't do a lot of of epic themes and that's fine. As this article points out, his style has changed, but also this wasn't recorded by London Symphony Orchestra (nor IN London) and Williams was super sick for awhile and pulled out of other projects so I wouldn't be surprised if that complicated things with this on the side. They recorded this soundtrack over a period of 5 months...that's unusually long. Usually it's only a few weeks or less of recording. TBH I'm just glad that nothing reminded me of Harry Potter, which reminded me of Home Alone. March of Resistance comes close to stuff like the Imperial and Droid March. As long as Williams is behind it, it should be fine...the real worry comes when he's unable to continue scoring Star Wars movies.

15. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Ryan

Blog Entries

I'm guessing Michael Giacchino will step into those shoes as he's done other Star Wars stuff before. He aped John pretty well in JW... although man, it would suck to not have him there even if that seems pretty inevitable.

I'm at least glad he provided the main character of the sequel trilogy with a strong leitmotif so we'll at least have that the entire way through.

Quote Originally Posted by walkin in a handy wonderland View Post
    it basically ignores them completely. they're sequels to the real star wars movies and don't even really reference the prequels once
    The closest it gets is Maz referring to the Sith. The only prequel that may help fill holes in is Revenge of the Sith, and still that's a stretch.

Blog Entries

Saw this on Monday. Thought it was very good... About on the level of Return of the Jedi for me, but not quite as good as the first two movies.

I agree with the general sentiment about a lot of the elements feels just a little too familiar sometimes. It did feel like the writer sat in his room and though, "Gee, what kinds of things should go in a Star Wars movie" and then basically checked off a bunch of boxes. This isn't a huge deal for me but it took away a little bit of the surprise at certain moments. Like, the very first moment  we see that room with the big catwalks, you know that is a room that Han Solo should run away from. Catwalks mean bad things in Star Wars movies.  They're things that create a lot of symmetry and continuity and tradition in the series but can also make it feel like a slave to its history. I think it makes a lot of sense psychologically that they built the movie the way they did, considering the prequels went so far off the rails. I'm hoping that the next movie pushes into more unknown territory instead of being The Empire Strikes Back Part II.

Action scenes were great. The first flying scene with the Millennium Falcon was the highlight of the whole thing, but I loved the final lightsaber duel at the end as well. One of those moments where I was just, "Yes, I'm seeing a brand new lightsaber duel, YES!" Setting was perfect too.

Loved all the new characters. Loved them. I hear a lot of praise toward Rey as a character (and to be fair, she is great) but I really feel like Finn speaks to me more as a character so far. I love how completely and utterly clueless he is at most things in the movie, but he is so brave and so willing to just throw an idea at the wall. The guy was never used a lightsaber in his life and still tries to go toe-to-toe with people. The Force doesn't speak to him or anything, he's just kinda learning as he goes. I always have a fondness for the everyman character in series with a lot of Chosen One's. He's a character that is hard to put in a particular box (in terms of comparisons to Luke, Han, Leia, etc), which is refreshing for this movie.

Rey is fantastic too. I find there's less to say about her in general because her character is so guarded and there hasn't been a ton of character progression with her yet. Just that she's a badass and basically every scene she was in was handled correctly.

(Movie needed more Poe.)

Was kind of mixed on the villain at times. Just because the prequels has given me such a low tolerance for angst and it scares me when I see such angsty indecisiveness. I think in the end I came around because there seems to be a much larger arc there going on, and this weakness is how he's supposed to appear in this one.  Early on, when they referred to his fear of letting the Force in, I was wondering if they were going to play with a redemption theme, like a reverse Anakin Skywalker in Episode III. I think killing Han Solo is technically supposed to slam the door on that but I'm still not convinced this problem is going to go away. He still strikes me as a little tryhard in the evil department. We shall see. 

I WANT A BB-8 DROID SO BAD.

(But I don't want to spend $150 on one.)

18. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by walkin in a handy wonderland View Post
    "The Real Star Wars Movies". I still think that's a wierd term; as far as I can see, the prequels are real Star Wars movies too as they exist and are Star Wars movies just like the original trilogy (and besides, TFA does have some prequel references other than the use of the word "Sith" so it doesn't ignore them completely).

Quote Originally Posted by Jetthead View Post
    Unlike the prequels, actually felt like it takes place in the same universe as the OT.
    I'm probably the only one here who feels that the prequels takes place in the same universe as the original three (which takes place after the fall of the Old Republic and when everything was a lot more dirty, scruffy and lived in unlike the prequels when a lot of stuff was more clean and shiny).

Banned
    standing atop the ruins of OSS' crushed dreams

Yeah I get the justification. Still doesn't fly with me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CousinMerl View Post
    I'm probably the only one here who feels that the prequels takes place in the same universe as the original three (which takes place after the fall of the Old Republic and when everything was a lot more dirty, scruffy and lived in unlike the prequels when a lot of stuff was more clean and shiny).
    I kind of agree with this sentiment. Even though I can't stand watching the prequels, I think that at the very least George did fully capture the idea that this happened in a "different time", when the Jedi could live and interact in the more luxurious planets/places in the galaxy, whereas the OT is very obviously in a time where the Jedi has been forced to shittier places like Tatooine (which looked a little scruffy even in TPM, take away the podracing and it's obvious how the planet falls out of financial whack), Hoth, Degobah and such which exacerbates the crummy used future of everything.

That said, I did like returning to that world, and it wasn't like they wrote that idea off. That planet featured which the Republic was on  which got obliterated by Starkiller Base was just as shiny and clean as many of the places featured in the prequels . And of course, it's established that the Resistance was thrown onto Takodana as a courtesy from the Republic to satiate a stubborn Leia, which is not the fanciest planet in the galaxy. The other featured is Jakku, which is literally a junkyard desert planet. So the beautiful planets still exist after having been rebuilt and flourished with the demise of the Empire, they just recreate that feeling by not setting the action on them.

One thing I appreciated now that the Expanded Universe is no longer canon is that the movie essentially re-introduced one of my favorite aspects of the EU, namely the idea of  Han and Leia's son turning evil. I feel that they might just as well have called him Jacen just like the EU character instead of renaming him Ben (a name which ironically enough in the EU belongs to Luke's son), but oh well. 

The Blue Files OldSchoolerSimpsons's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I really hope this is not true, but there is a possibility even a FOURTH trilogy could happen:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2527338/...ef_=tt_trv_trv

Oh God, Oh God... This is very bad news.
    They got lucky with the seventh. VERY lucky. The eighth has a possibility to be great as well. And the ninth, while I'm massively spectical, maybe still has potential.

But a fourth trilogy... Where it's extremely unlikely Han, Luke and/or Leia will appear... I'm not buying it. I'm just not buying it. It won't work.
    Quote Originally Posted by scully apologist;bt39949
    "KONY 2012"

Blog Entries

yeah that's not news and your reasoning for fearing a further trilogy is ridiculous given that besides han (who seriously was never better than in tfa) the highlight of tfa was the spectacular new cast who didn't just feel like carbon copies. there's no reason to assume that can't keep happening especially with no evidence regarding what would become of such films.

also episode vii didn't GET LUCKY. it was a fucking good film

Blog Entries

disney isn't gonna stop until there's no money to be made. don't act so surprised.

same thing with all the shitty marvel movies.

Blog Entries

Disco, "got lucky" means EXACTLY that I thought it was a good film. Why would it mean anything else??

Blog Entries

um, get lucky TYPICALLY means that the project is good against all odds and opposition. actually not typically, that's literally what it means. you're a fucking disaster at english but everyone already knows this

Blog Entries

cuz like THEY GOT LUCKY is not in anyone's mind except yours a simple synonym for 'it was good'

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Glass-Decorated Christmas Tree View Post
    Disco, "got lucky" means EXACTLY that I thought it was a good film. Why would it mean anything else??
    you're heavily implying through your post that ep VII only managed to achieve what it did due to the inclusion of past protagonists in the mix, that if the films didn't contain luke/leia/han etc. that they wouldn't be good anymore, as though they can't progress and pass the torch onto new protagonists. there's no reason the series cant continue to thrive and ep VII was more than your giving it credit for

Blog Entries

Oh okay.

The characters returning is not the only reason the new movie worked. The new characters were very good (I'm kinda iffy on Kylo Ren, but I'm sure they'll do something more with him later on), especially Rey. The action was great, and the lightsaber scene with Rey and Kylo in the woods was intense. I thought it was a great movie, I've said nothing else.
    However, having Han, Luke and Leia in it certainly helped give the movie some backbone. Since I was so glad to see them back, I could forgive some of the more glaring flaws. Solo was at his best ever.

Even with the new characters though, Solo, Leia and Luke are still pivotal to the series. Aside of the third, the prequels didn't work not only because the writing wasn't that good, but because Lucas couldn't figure out what to do when he didn't have them involved in the story. Only the third has any linking with them at all, and that is simply Luke as a baby.
    That at least one of them appears matters hugely to me since these don't even feel like just characters anymore. They are like people we've gotten to know. But without them around, I'm just gonna sit watching episode 10-12 thinking "If only Luke/Leia/Han was here", since they have been important to such a point that even if I turn out to like those movies I won't have the biggest urge to re-watch them.
    Last edited by OldSchoolerSimpsons; 12-27-2015 at 11:14 AM.

Blog Entries

did luke and leia even do anything in this film? han was a good character, but luke was nowhere to be seen until the last couple of minutes and had no lines, and leia only appears more than halfway in the film and has a few reminiscing lines with han but otherwise doesn't do much. still not sure of the point you are trying to make.

Blog Entries

Well, I'm disappointed with the lack of Leia, but Luke despite his small appearance was very important. The storyline basically revolved around him (everyone is desperate over the map to his whereabouts), and the point I'm trying to make is that the further exploring upon the three of them is what got me excited about this movie. It still very much is about Luke, and he will have a bigger role in episode 8. Sure, R2-D2, C3PO and even Admiral Ackbar returning - awesome too, but they are not the real reason to what makes the best Star Wars movies so great.
    If we get three more Star Wars movies after this which has nothing to with them, it'll feel like a spin-off. Maybe a good one if I'm lucky, but just not quite part of the official Star Wars saga.
    (I know the prequels don't have them, but that's because they take place long before the original three).

Blog Entries

The action was great, and the lasersword scene with Rey and Kylo in the woods was intense.
    and the lasersword scene with Rey and Kylo in the woods was intense.
    lasersword scene with Rey and Kylo in the woods was intense.
    lasersword scene with Rey and Kylo in the woods
    lasersword scene

Thread Information