View Poll Results: What is your favorite Star Wars movie?

Voters
121. You may not vote on this poll
  • Episode I: The Phantom Menace

8 6.61%
  • Episode II: Attack Of The Clones

2 1.65%
  • Episode III: Revenge Of The Sith

8 6.61%
  • Episode IV: A New Hope

25 20.66%
  • Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

61 50.41%
  • Episode VI: Return Of The Jedi

14 11.57%
  • Episode VII: The Force Awakens

2 1.65%
  • Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

1 0.83%
  • Episode VIII: The Last Jedi

0 0%
Page 30 of 47 FirstFirst ... 202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast

Thread: STAR WARS (untagged spoilers, yo)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shaunbadia View Post
    Opinion about a particular something in the movie I didn't like. Spoilers so...

Kylo Ren's a fucking massive pussy and a shit villain. They shouldn't have removed his helmet prior to the scene where Han asks to see him, and even then, he looks like such an non-threatening, angst riddled little bitch that any semblance of intimidating screen presence just goes right the fuck out the window. I could dig the whole "Fear of never being as powerful as Vader" angle when he had the mask on but his face is just... like, he doesn't have the psychotic look that made Darth Maul look intimidating and he doesn't have the screen presence that made Darth Vader intimating. 
    don't know if this was already addressed or not but  the entire point of the character is that he's a whiny brat who left the light in an emo-style sign of rebellion. his entire character is basically that he's in the shadow of his grandfather darth vader and will never be as good as him. his unmasking was to show that he was ultimately human and not the 'monster' he was called out for. nevertheless, he's still an insanely cool villain with, imo, pretty great presence. he's already a better 'character' than vader was after one film, who was pretty one-dimensional in his first appearance. they're already fleshing out kylo ren, and of course the other characters very well 

i fall and i fall and i fall bias's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by scalding 40 degree soup View Post
    thoughts on kylo ren

he's trying to live up to Vader. you can see he hasn't seen many people using the force in that scene where ray fights back against his mind tricks. he's kinda like o shit what is this when he's looking for the map in her head. I thought that scene was pretty cool, especially when she says something like you're just trying to live up to Vader and he gets super pissed off

he hasn't been fighting that much either. he killed every Jedi and now nobody wants to fight back. that's why the the lightsaber battle with finn and ray is so dirty and not choreographed like the battles in the original trilogy

another thing I like is the fact that kylo ren isn't that far on the dark side, so in the fight between him and finn and ray he has to keep hitting where he was shot to get the anger going because he doesn't really feel like fighting

im really interested to see where his character goes. I'm hoping in the next two movies that they just focus on these characters. I want to see more development on finn and poe's relationship, more development on captain phasma and more development on kylo ren's transgression to the dark side 
    Quote Originally Posted by kupomog
    father dies while son tinychats

Al Jeany apologist scully apologist's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by do they know it's christmas? View Post
    o my god shut up

i know you're trolling but still shut up
    Sorry I couldn't resist. I actually tried to delete that post as soon as i posted it but it didn't work for some reason. The prequels are utter shite. Haven't seen the new one yet, saw one major spoiler and now can't motivate myself to go. Will probably catch it sometime after xmas.

Blog Entries

mfw I saw a star war for the first time

star wars ep 4 a new hope 8/10 would recommend

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 'Tis the Season to be Johnny View Post
    wow, what an ending, who'd have thought jar jar binks was rey's father
    Did they really have to include the flashback scene to illustrate the moment of her conception? Inappropriate imo

Blog Entries

Klassik komedy

7. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Sam

don't quite cover all CousinMerl's Avatar

I saw it the other night as I said I would and I thought it was very good, incredibly enjoyable and was fun. The new lead characters were all good, interesting and really likeable, the other new characters such as the bad guys were very good and interesting too & I think they handled the involvement of the original trilogy cast very well. It was pretty obvious that they took a lot of pointers and inspiration from Episode IV as it was similar in many ways (and the overall tone kinda felt like a combo of III and IV), but them not doing a completely original plot wasn't a bad thing and it did work pretty well, perhaps mostly as an introductory tale (but I do hope the next movie will be more original).

It wasn't a flawless movie or even the best of the saga as some things could have been done better and/or differently and there was several missed opportunities (mainly pertaining to some of the new secondary characters), but on the whole it was well above average, had a nice storyline with a lot of good action, effects and dramatic moments. I dunno how I would rank it among the saga since I've only seen it once and will probably need to see it again (which I really want to) before I can make up my mind where to place it among the others.

This movie was great. It's not without its faults, but I'll get into that later after I read through everything. Love the new cast, generally enjoy the plot, and just can't wait to see it again.

More thoughts later when I have a break during work.
    facebook / twitter / tumblr
    round and round let the city turn party in the hills we can party in the burbs roof on fire let it burn champagne in my hand I'm not concerned

Blog Entries

not jottin an essay on fone - mayb later in time - but godDAMN that was a blast. third, neeeeaaarly second best star wars. two yrs is too fuckin long man

There's very little about this movie that I don't like. That's pretty much all @D4C and I kept saying after it was done.

I kept getting strangely emotional while watching and I teared up a few times for just the strangest moments. One of those was  Finn running through the battlefield screaming for Rey as she is taken . Just an oddly powerful moment for me. There's really only two things I feel they didn't deliver on. Those things are  Snoke who looks ridiculous  and  Phasma does nothing, though is party to one of my favorite Finn lines/moments in the entire movie.  They'll fix this in the next few movies, of course, but it was a slight bummer here.

Will note that I agree with others who enjoy Kylo Ren as a villain. He was a pleasant surprise, especially since I'm not a fan of Girls and that's all I know Driver from. His  temper tantrums were pretty effective in showing how unstable he is without being annoying. In fact, one of them was even a FUNNY scene. I know someone complained about him being a whiny emo brat but I just don't see that at all. I see a very conflicted former Jedi potential that is tempted by the Light but being seduced by his Gollum Master. He's absolutely human, so I think his reveal to Rey that early on worked just fine. It was also needed for Rey to get more in tune with the Force (more on that later). He did a fucking killer job in his scene with Han. Even though I didn't get too invested in EU, I certainly know who Jacen Solo is so I'm interested in this "re-imagining" of that character, in a sense. 

There are a few moments that feel too convenient (yes, I know, this is a thing in OT) but it's probably for the sake of further exploring in the next episode. That's fine, but just a few of those deus ex machina moments still stand out. One of those moments is probably obvious...happens at the end to create, well, the ending we DO get. Doesn't BOTHER me but again, sticks out like "well ok."

To touch on that a little differently, a lot of people are grumbling about  Rey's instant affinity with the Force. Why is she so good with it when she just learned about it? That bothered me a little but then you notice she is really likely just trying to "copy" Kylo Ren as she is in his head, and of course the popular theory is that she is Luke's daughter who previously trained with him but had it all blocked out when he left her on Jakku. I came to that conclusion as well while watching the movie, especially with Han's weird knowing glances and the whole sequence at Maz Kanata's. Would certainly explain her natural abilities with no formal training. And whenever she bests Ren with the Force, it's when they're face to face, eye to eye...and she gets in his head AGAIN to see how he manipulates the Force. He's right...she's needs a teacher. His not-fully-trained self is accidentally teaching her. That's awesome. 

Movie looked gorgeous. Not very many moments where I couldn't tell what was going on, so I'm glad that's not an issue with this JJ Abrams movie. Lots of incredible wide shots that make me wish I could get those full HD res for desktop use. The movie score was almost non-existent to me for the most part, though. The familiar themes were there and I enjoyed some of the new scores like in Rey's introduction, but overall I'm bit sad about this soundtrack. I keep saying at least the prequels had a great score, so it's just a shame I couldn't latch on to anything this time around. Maybe something will catch my ears next viewing.

As far as returning cast, Han and Chewie were a treat every scene they were in. Watching old Han try to run away from anyone was kinda funny, tho. And of course it was nice to see Leia. I'm a little sad that  their relationship was estranged. It makes it hurt more than Han is gone now, which is the point, but it frustrates me because I just really wish it wasn't the case! I didn't expect their relationship to be perfect by any means and I understand what happened with their son caused a lot to go down, but it's Han and Leia, yo. Very effective, though, and now it's over and that looooooooooong hug Rey gave Leia oh my god the tears .

I gushed about the new characters right? No? They're wonderful. I need more of them. So much chemistry, you BELIEVE what's happening on screen. Poe and Finn make a great buddy combo, Finn and Rey make a great hero combo. The actors did a great job.

Oh yes and the humor in this movie...it's fine. They hardly went overboard. Same for fanservice. I don't know why some people are so bothered by throwback lines like the one about the trash compactor but I think, even with the entire movie pretty much shadowing ANH, it was well done. None of the humor was shoved down your throat, or felt like it was there to keep some kids entertained. Pretty much, again, channeled the OT. Just from the start of the movie, lines like  "can't really understand you with all that apparatus.."  to moments like  "...ANDYOUWILLDROPYOURGUN!!?"  were delightful. Kinda makes it clear how much better the dialogue in general is. Some lame clichéd lines here and there but it's not painful or cringeworthy to sit through.

I'm rambling. I don't know what else to talk about. More thoughts later.

12. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Ryan, Sam, Steve

Blog Entries

i love that these characters are human and we can connect to them. say what you want about the prequels, i mean it all sucks basically (music notwithstanding), but the worst part is that all of them were fuckin robots that you couldn't latch onto. none of the characters matter and you don't care about them. it's not even the feeling that you know what is going to happen so what's the point. it's that they're so stupid, weird, and inhuman that it's impossible to root or care for anyone. here that's such a non-issue. these are characters we truly feel for. we want to see their interactions and reactions, and want to see their further adventures, eventually succeed in them, or get crushed if they're villains. man this movie does basically everything right. makes the prequels look even more inept and the star wars universe viable again

14. Thumbs Up To This Post by: kupomog

Oh yeah and Kylo Ren's shoddily made lightsaber is a lot less strange in action considering all the "he'll cut his own arm off" complaints from nerdlingers when it debuted.

Blog Entries

at first i thought ren's saber was going to be the style of all the new ones so i wasn't really digging it, strictly on that alone, didn't really care about the hilts, but when i found out it was just his i was like 'meh whatever', but now i think it's pretty badass. him  scuffing finn's shoulder in that lightsaber fight with it  was quite nuts

Yeah I was specifically thinking about that scene, thought that was a great touch! I really liked the lightsaber damage in general in this movie, as it just makes those fights feel that much more tense and interesting. I am used to it either impaling or amputating instantly.

Also to touch on your other post, about the robotic prequel characters, good god yes they are so cold and wooden. One of my favorite complaints about the prequel is when Yoda sees Amidala alive after the attacks, tells her it warms his little alien heart to see that she's ok, she's just like.. so who attacked me? No fucking love for Yoda. Apparently they cut out her telling him Thank you...like, WHY? Dumb little things like that kinda crippled the PT.

Blog Entries

There's pretty much nothing wrong with this movie. It plays on a new hope in the same way ANH plays off its own old hero cliches and serial inspirations.

The characters are all as likeable and dislikeable as they could possibly be. I love Rey and Poe and Finn and am dying to see how  that first order ginger guy gets it in ep8. He escaped Starkiller Base right? I love seeing dark side force guys be given the business by some high ranking official, like Tarkin. And then they die 

Kylo Ren is totally believable given everything established in the prequel trilogy. I'm glad he did what he did. Make it count. Make everything count.   I thought they were gonna kill Poe and apparently that was how it was supposed to be. I'm glad he is around but would have made a better impact to kill him off. More jarring shifts on the emotional roller coaster of thrills that is a new Star Wars movie 

Rey was lookin hottt in that outfit at the end. Would take that action figure

don't quite cover all CousinMerl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kupomog View Post
    Oh yeah and Kylo Ren's shoddily made lightsaber is a lot less strange in action considering all the "he'll cut his own arm off" complaints from nerdlingers when it debuted.
    I read somewhere the lightsaber crystal inside is cracked so that it's why the blade is so messed up; I was thinking that it's probably only a matter of time before it explodes while in use and takes his hand or even his arm (which would be an interesting development, but I don't think they'll go that route because it'll probably be too violent even considering the amount of violence in this one).

Blog Entries

seein it again tonight yessss
    twitter

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotDetector View Post
    Two and a Half Men is no more an "adult show" than "Rocket Power."

21. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Steve

a whiz with cold drinks Frightened Inmate No. 2's Avatar
    Blog Entries

i'm seeing this in a few hours. i don't think star wars is all that great anymore but it was still a huge part of my childhood so I'm gonna go in pretending like they're my favorite movies of all time so i can activate that nostalgia.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Sandford II View Post
    While not humorous, would be cool if someone actually put this in their sig.

Blog Entries

gonna see it again in imax in a few days aww yea

Blog Entries

gonna go see it in like two hours, catching the matinee.

Hired Goon

Quote Originally Posted by kupomog View Post
    Movie looked gorgeous. Not very many moments where I couldn't tell what was going on, so I'm glad that's not an issue with this JJ Abrams movie. Lots of incredible wide shots that make me wish I could get those full HD res for desktop use.
    I couldn't agree more. Friggin' beautiful film. I like how the camera observed the action instead of got all up in its face with the shaky shit (that was a small concern of mine before I saw it). One of my favorite examples is the part midway through when the  First Order ambushes the forest planet, and then the Resistance shows up, and in one long take the camera follows Poe's X-Wing as it flies through all of the chaos, while also following behind Finn running through the wreckage.  It was a gorgeous shot.

In fact basically all of the flying scenes were really well-shot. The  escape from Jakku in the Millennium Falcon was excellent too. Even though it was (largely) CGI, you can still feel the kinetic energy as if you're flying inside it. It doesn't feel stiff and inorganic like the CGI in the prequels did.  Overall they did such a great job of making the world feel old and lived-in. Another small touch I loved was the reveal in the beginning of the  downed AT-AT Rey is camped out at. You really feel like it's been there rusting for 30 years. 

I too had absolutely no problem with the fanservice. I feel like there was just enough of it, and the moments never felt as if they were pandering for nostalgia. They were just there, and if you got the reference, you got it; if you didn't, you wouldn't even notice it. The one exception might be the  stop-motion chess table , which I could imagine someone unfamiliar with Episode IV seeing and going "lol huh?"

Anyway I've seen the movie twice now, and I could easily see it a third time (probably won't though). I want to rewatch the OT now.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    The one exception might be the  stop-motion chess table , which I could imagine someone unfamiliar with Episode IV seeing and going "lol huh?"
     when the shot included that table I was wondering if there would be a shot of finn or rey, bored, activating the table, but then finn fell to the ground and bumped into it which activated it which did make it feel a tad unnecessary and gratitutious. but the very fact that this is really, IMO, the only one of that nature, is pretty damn good considering how the movie is essentially a mixture of sequel and reboot. 

naturally at work we were talking about star wars and my supervisor mentioned how she finds "star wars" boring, and that's whatever, different strokes. but it kind of blew my mind how she put it, "well, I've seen three of them. episode 1, 2 and... I think 4. I thought the first two were just okay but man... episode 4, that one was super boring. hated it."

I had to go back-and-forth four times to make sure she really was talking about the prequels and "A New Hope", and wow. I just... I can't process that. (and yea she's older than me)

Beyond the point of no return Xaiv's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re-watchin thru the original trilogy and supposed to go see TFA on Thursday!!! SO PUMPED!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CousinMerl View Post
    I read somewhere the lightsaber crystal inside is cracked so that it's why the blade is so messed up; I was thinking that it's probably only a matter of time before it explodes while in use and takes his hand or even his arm (which would be an interesting development, but I don't think they'll go that route because it'll probably be too violent even considering the amount of violence in this one).
    Yeah he built it himself and wanted it to look threatening so it's unstable because of that, just like he is. I love it, though. The crackling of the saber section is just such a neat touch.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus Christ, Our Lord and Xaiviour View Post
    Re-watchin thru the original trilogy and supposed to go see TFA on Thursday!!! SO PUMPED!!!
    post/ironic av

Blog Entries

saw it. it was good. will probably see it again when i get back to virginia, then maybe another time or two after that.

and then i'll buy the blu ray/dvd combo pack when it comes out next year.

oh yeah the one spoiler i already knew about was  someone elsewhere posted about how sad it was when han solo died, but that's all i saw. didn't think it was that surprising since you know he's kind of old and probably should've died a few times in the original movies. 

a whiz with cold drinks Frightened Inmate No. 2's Avatar
    Blog Entries

just saw this. it was a lot of fun.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by do they know it's christmas? View Post
     someone elsewhere posted about how sad it was when han solo died, but that's all i saw. didn't think it was that surprising since you know he's kind of old and probably should've died a few times in the original movies. 
     is this a typo or did you really want han solo to die and come back to life and then die again repeatedly in the OT? 

just saw a second time. man this movie is still great fun. I think I might wait to see it on the true IMAX in town after the holidays, and then wait for the BR to come out whenever Disney decides to do that... my best guess is that they'll release it May 4th along with the first teaser for Ep 8. might as well double down that day.

this time was in 2D, which does allow you to take in the beautiful cinematography better. I did find on the second viewing that the intentional mystery box elements and of course the cliffhanger diminishes the grandeur of the film a bit...  the whole arc with Rey finding the force awaken within herself is still awesome and she is awesome, especially in her battle with Kylo Ren, but there seems to be almost too many moments where the movie is reminding you, "oh there's more, just you wait!". I love Maz but the "that's a good question for a better time" line is one of a bit too many "we'll get to that later" moments. I think they should've left it with just the cliffhanger and Rey's vision of the past, present and future (which is still an incredibly well-done sequence that felt unlike anything I've seen in a Star Wars movie in a GOOD way) instead. Empire makes one declarative revelation and one mystery left to be solve ("no, there is another"), which is fine. In TFA, it's a bit much and although the point is obviously to craft a saga with at least two more movies to tell, they need to tone it down. I think with episodes 8 and 9, TFA will really feel rock solid and be rid of some of those minor elements that bug people. Regardless it's still super entertaining, and makes you want more of this new Star Wars for all generations. The characters make this movie, 100%. Phasma, Snoke, Poe, Leia, the nature of the resistance and of course Rey's backstory are left to be filled in more and it's obvious some feel a bit jilted by not getting everything... understandable. We just have to wait and see. 

Now that I'm done with nitpick corner, let's go back to positives: everything else, and I have to say I completely disagree with anyone who says John Williams' score is not "innovative" enough and features nothing special. Um. Rey's theme. It's all over the movie and is easily the best and (most likely) iconic piece he's composed since Hedwig's Theme in HP:

again, great flick. great fun. bring on more
    Last edited by Ryan; 12-23-2015 at 01:58 AM.

That's like the only theme that I remember or care about out of the entire movie, tho...
    Even the action stuff didn't stuck out; I was H. E. A. V. Y. into this battle theme from Ep I and was sad I didn't really get anything like that.

And I'm pretty sure comeau meant there were a lot of moments in OT  when he SHOULD have perished like Ford wanted, but did not. 

Blog Entries

yeah that was one of my only gripes. the music never really grabbed me. it was just kinda there. which is sad because as kupo said before even the music in the prequels was terrific. i mean it was good here but just kinda... i dunno empty?

35. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Gatorgod

Thread Information