View Poll Results: What is your favorite Star Wars movie?

Voters
121. You may not vote on this poll
  • Episode I: The Phantom Menace

    8 6.61%
  • Episode II: Attack Of The Clones

    2 1.65%
  • Episode III: Revenge Of The Sith

    8 6.61%
  • Episode IV: A New Hope

    25 20.66%
  • Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

    61 50.41%
  • Episode VI: Return Of The Jedi

    14 11.57%
  • Episode VII: The Force Awakens

    2 1.65%
  • Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

    1 0.83%
  • Episode VIII: The Last Jedi

    0 0%
Page 10 of 47 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 300 of 1405



Thread: STAR WARS (untagged spoilers, yo)



(Users Browsing this Thread: )

  1. #271
    Stonecutter Mazamaxe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    2,225


    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Moe View Post
    Carrie Fisher's daughter to play Young Princess Leia:
    http://hollywoodlife.com/2014/06/30/...s-episode-vii/
    I hope that's not true.

  2. #272
    don't quite cover all CousinMerl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Spittle County
    Posts
    7,794


    If it's flashbacks we're talking about, it'll be a first for Star Wars (the movie saga, at least).

  3. #273
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    standing atop the ruins of OSS' crushed dreams
    Posts
    9,011


    Well, seems Kevin Smith had some good things to say about the production of this new film:

    http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...s-9576664.html

  4. #274
    don't quite cover all CousinMerl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Spittle County
    Posts
    7,794



  5. #275
    Stonecutter Mazamaxe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    2,225


    After hard thinking I have decided that to me the best Star Wars movie is the first one (episode IV). The other two (episodes V & VI) are of course second and third best for me.

  6. #276
    don't quite cover all CousinMerl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Spittle County
    Posts
    7,794



  7. Thumbs Up To This Post by: tyler

  8. #277
    vs meninism pax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    #6 Wendy's Castle
    Posts
    5,639
    Blog Entries
    12


    My favourite Star Wars film is ROTJ. Even though the ewoks are a weak point, the Palpatine-Vader-Luke scenes more than make up for it.
    I think one thing that would be really awesome is if they included Galen Marek in one of these new films.
    Last edited by pax; 10-15-2014 at 03:02 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elliot76 View Post
    don't feel threatened by a dude who gargles mayonnaise

  9. #278
    The Blue Files OldSchoolerSimpsons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Posts
    14,344
    Blog Entries
    392


    Quote Originally Posted by Vintage View Post
    My favourite Star Wars film is ROTJ. Even though the ewoks are a weak point, the Palpatine-Vader-Luke scenes more than makes up for it.
    Yes! Return Of The Jedi is my second favorite!
    It's very underrated and Luke's fight with the monster down in the hole is my favorite scene from the whole franchise. I just love it!
    Quote Originally Posted by scully apologist;bt39949
    "KONY 2012"

  10. Thumbs Up To This Post by: pax

  11. #279
    Your Deer Friend ThatsAPaddlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    The Simpsons are going to Delaware!
    Posts
    4,884
    Blog Entries
    7


    Goddamnit, no.

    I = A New Hope
    II = The Empire Strikes Back
    III = Return of the Jedi

    Fuck the prequels. They are just bad fanfic. And fuck anything Lucas later digitally added to the films. I respect the Star Wars Holiday Special more than the Phantom fucking Menace.
    🔮Marianne Williamson 2020🔮


  12. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Sam

  13. #280
    Edgy McEdgeEdge LukeMM95's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Castle Graveskull
    Posts
    2,533
    Blog Entries
    5


    Quote Originally Posted by Weregeezer View Post
    I respect the Star Wars Holiday Special more than the Phantom fucking Menace.
    Uh, really. I mean Phantom Menace isn't a good movie but it's still watchable which is more than I can say for the Holiday Special.

    I also only consider the original trilogy canon though. These new films will have to be REALLY have impressive in order for me to change my mind and I doubt they will.

    In order of greatness:
    1) Empire Strikes Back
    2) Star Wars (I'm not calling it A New Hope)
    3) Return of the Jedi
    Season 1: The humble beginnings -- Seasons 2-8: The classic era -- Season 9: The first season where noticeable flaws began to appear -- Season 10: The last decent season -- Season 11: The first BAD season -- Season 12: The last season with episodes worth watching -- Seasons 13-Present: Zombie Simpsons

  14. #281
    don't quite cover all CousinMerl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Spittle County
    Posts
    7,794


    I'm gonna go against the flow (the prequel haters) and admit that I don't hate the the PT and consider all six films canon. I'd also much rather watch Episode I than the Holiday Special; it has problems like the rest of the prequels, but I honestly don't think it's such a horrible film; I never could bring myself to hate it (or the other prequels for that matter) and after a recent rewatch, I'd say it's an entertaining fantasy adventure with some good visuals and action.

    So yeah, I wouldn't go out and say "fuck the prequels"; I acknowledge that they have several issues but I don't agree about them being the total shitfests the haters make them out to be.
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 10-16-2014 at 10:44 AM.


  15. #282
    Edgy McEdgeEdge LukeMM95's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Castle Graveskull
    Posts
    2,533
    Blog Entries
    5


    I grew up with the prequels and I used to consider all six films canon too. As I grew older though, I began to realize that there was something off about the prequels. The Phantom Menace and especially Attack of the Clones, just became so dull to me. I still saw some merits in Revenge of the Sith though. Then I saw the Red Letter Media reviews and any appreciation I had for the prequels disappeared. Sure they have flashy visuals and some creative action scenes but all that doesn't matter if the films themselves are completely devoid of good characters and writing. They're soulless movies and when you think about it, quite pointless. I mean we really didn't need a back story for Darth Vader. He was a better character when his past was left to our imagination.

  16. #283
    The Blue Files OldSchoolerSimpsons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Posts
    14,344
    Blog Entries
    392


    Completely disagree @LukeMassMurderer95, I think they gave a really fascinating look into his backstory and I didn't want it left to my imagination. Somebody becomes that evil for a reason and I think Revenge Of The Sith did a great job at convincing how someone who was all good in his heart became a hateful maniac. Attack Of The Clones wasn't that bad, it was just filled with annoying filler, like Anakin and Padme in their "paradise" or whatever the fuck you call it. The only movie which played absolutely no value to the series (except for that famous Yoda-quote) was The Phantom Menace.

  17. #284
    Edgy McEdgeEdge LukeMM95's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Castle Graveskull
    Posts
    2,533
    Blog Entries
    5


    Watch the Red Letter Media reviews @GhoulSpookerSnospisEht

    They'll explain the prequels problems far better than I can. Also they're hilarious (I'm actually watching the episode 3 review as I type this)

  18. #285
    vs. Radioactive Man Captain Squid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    3,384


    Red Letter Media fucking sucks.

    As a piece of mock film critique, they're sophomoric and moronic. I assume the point was to make fun of actual YouTube film critiques. As an actual critique, they're just so god damn bad. I still don't get why people point to them rather than forming their own complaints about the prequels. So many liberties are taken with the critique, rather than making a decent argument, the guy uses smear tactics, blanket statements, and honestly some really bizarre ways to back up his arguments. Like the questioning five different people who are actually his friends in on the joke.
    Last edited by Captain Squid; 10-16-2014 at 09:51 AM.
    UP AND ATOM!

  19. #286
    Edgy McEdgeEdge LukeMM95's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Castle Graveskull
    Posts
    2,533
    Blog Entries
    5


    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Squid View Post
    Red Letter Media fucking sucks.

    As a piece of mock film critique, they're sophomoric and moronic. I assume the point was to make fun of actual YouTube film critiques. As an actual critique, they're just so god damn bad. I still don't get why people point to them rather than forming their own complaints about the prequels. So many liberties are taken with the critique, rather than making a decent argument, the guy uses smear tactics, blanket statements, and honestly some really bizarre ways to back up his arguments. Like the questioning five different people who are actually his friends in on the joke.
    To each their own. I personally love the Red Letter Media team and have been a huge fan of theirs ever since I first saw the Phantom Menace review. While there have been a few times where I've disagreed with them (They praised the Avengers, a movie I really didn't care for), most of the time, I think they're right on the money. I love their review style and they're hilarious to boot.

    Their humour is very tongue-in-cheek but their opinions are genuine. The Plinkett reviews were originally just Mike Stoklasa's way of expressing how he felt about the Star Trek: next generation movies and later the Star Wars prequels. He used the Plinkett character to add humour to the reviews and stop them from sounding boring. And I've never had a problem with this. It all comes across as very smart and well backed up. He makes a point about how a certain scene is poorly written and I can't for the life of me think of a counter argument. The part at the beginning of the Phantom Menace review where he asks his friends to describe certain characters may not have been the most reliable method for a real response but it was a good way to make the audience think about the questions themselves. I honestly can't give a good description of Qui-Gon and Padme and even if you did have an answer, he explained later in his review how these characters are completely flat and how all their actions make no sense.

    Could you go into more detail on these so called "Bizarre ways to back up his arguments", because it made perfect sense to me?

  20. #287
    vs meninism pax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    #6 Wendy's Castle
    Posts
    5,639
    Blog Entries
    12


    The only good parts of ROTS were the final battle and Ewan McGregor. Ian Mcdiarmid was also excellent. Everything else was shit. Attack of The Clones was a complete bore. The final battle of The Phantom Menace made no sense. Why the hell didn't Darth Maul finish off Obi-Wan?
    Last edited by pax; 10-16-2014 at 10:47 AM.

  21. #288
    vs. Radioactive Man Captain Squid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    3,384


    Quote Originally Posted by LukeMassMurderer95 View Post
    I honestly can't give a good description of Qui-Gon and Padme and even if you did have an answer, he explained later in his review how these characters are completely flat and how all their actions make no sense.

    Could you go into more detail on these so called "Bizarre ways to back up his arguments", because it made perfect sense to me?
    That was one of my major issues with the videos, because it is very easy to describe these characters and their actions do make sense. Qui-Gon was fatherly, strong, brave, headstrong (defying the council), patient, calm (dealing with the podrace bets), faithful. Dude is pretty much the most OT Jedi of the PT saga, and ended up being the Jedi to train Yoda and Obi-Wan post-PT era.

    Padme in TPM, I'll admit, is a weak character, mainly because she is undercover as a handmaiden for most of the film. Still, I'd classify her as inexperienced, headstrong (like Qui-Gon, which lead to them not agreeing on things throughout the film, an aspect they could have played up more), naive, mysterious (recall that when TPM premiered Padme and Queen Amidala were marketed as two different characters, much like Palpatine and Sidious - a nice bit of mirroring and playing up "The Phantom Menace" theme of duel natures).

    As far as the bizarre methods of criticism, he relied heavily on nitpicking with no real depth to what he was saying. He describes characters with a single line as "boring", when really they're only there to do a single action of hailing another ship. I have no clue how this is "boring". It's like me saying that the Rebel pilots in ANH's briefing room are boring. A minute into the movie, he says he is "bored already". Of what? I was at TPM on premiere night and it was fucking exciting to see the ship flying towards the space station. All new ship designs and characters, regardless of what people thought of the rest of the film, the first minute was not boring. I might as well call Return of the Jedi's intro boring because hey, it is the exact same intro as TPM. Shuttle flying toward space station, no-name characters getting permission to land.

    His arguments that there is no clear villain or main character confuses the hell out of me. ANH began with the droids and it isn't until 20 minutes in that we meet Luke, yet I'm not scratching my head and hating on the movie because they didn't point out who the main character is. In fact, even ANH focuses on several main characters, there are more than one: the droids (first scene), Leia (first human to appear), Luke (not until 20 mins in), Han. Really, TPM - like ANH - is an ensemble film with Luke being the focus of ANH and Qui-Gon being the focus of TPM.

    As far as the villain, for starters the movie is called "The Phantom Menace" for a reason. The threat is supposed to be veiled, but we the viewer and those in touch with the OT know that the Emperor aka Darth Sidious is the puppet master pulling the strings. Sidious is the villian, Maul is his apprentice, and the Trade Federation are the pawns. It's so easy to comprehend, yet RLM plays it off like its some sort of indecipherable puzzle.

    He'll also post questions and proclaim there is no answer, when the answer is very clear. He'll also purposefully twist what the film clearly lays out and blames the film for his own mistakes:

    Plinkett: "So the Jedis are there to do what exactly? According to the opening title crawl, it was to settle a dispute over the taxation of trade routes. So what makes the Jedi Knights experts in intergalactic trade laws."

    The opening crawl states that they were sent to "settle the conflict." The problem is not the taxes but the blockade, again as stated in the opening crawl. The situation had switched to the blockade, stating that the Chancellor sent the Jedi in secret because the Republic was useless and just "endlessly debates" without resolving "this alarming chain of events" (the blockade).

    But nope, Plinkett is happy to believe what he wants to believe in order to make him sound like the smart one and the movie sounding like the one being confusing.

    If I ever had to debate any form of media with somebody like the RLM guy, I'd walk away. Because people like him, parody or not, just want to get under your skin and twist the facts of the argument. Much like most of the people in the Simpsons R&R threads now that I think about it, lol

  22. #289
    don't quite cover all CousinMerl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Spittle County
    Posts
    7,794


    Never could bring myself to watch the RLM Plinkett prequel reviews; I remember started watching the first but it was essentially the same old bitching and moaning how the prequels are boring and uninteresting, the stories are complicated, the characters are bad and completely flat, nothing makes sense etc. in an somewhat new, annoying coat so I couldn't finish it or even bother with the others (In all fairness, he makes himself sound dumb and dense but then again, I suppose a lot of it supposed to be a spoof).

    I'd rather watch critical reviews by an unbiased non-hater who doesn't act like a king snark and make a farce of it all (oh, and good post above @Captain Squid).


  23. #290
    don't quite cover all CousinMerl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Spittle County
    Posts
    7,794



  24. #291
    Come back, Zinc!! Sniper Squirrel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The Jerk Store
    Posts
    12,023


    Yeah, kind of a stupid title
    I'm just like Krusty!
    I'm Krusty, who are you? by NoHomers.net

    Backdoor Sluts 9 makes Crotch Capers 3 look like Naughty Nurses 2

  25. #292
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    i don't know where i am
    Posts
    20,889
    Blog Entries
    126


    I think it's alright. In the past only the second and third films of each trilogy have had a "something of the something" title and personally I don't think it's any cheesier than say, A New Hope.

  26. #293
    direct floor engagement steamed_hamms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    13,551
    Blog Entries
    42


    every star wars movie has a stupid title, we'll get used to it

  27. #294
    a whiz with cold drinks Frightened Inmate No. 2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    where immobile steel rims crack
    Posts
    8,630
    Blog Entries
    9


    yeah stupid titles are kind of their thing
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Sandford II View Post
    While not humorous, would be cool if someone actually put this in their sig.

  28. #295
    Hired Goon
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    14,635


    The Force Awakens is fine. "Attack of the Clones" and "The Phantom Menace" are way cheesier-sounding. I'm just glad they finally announced the title.

  29. #296
    Edgy McEdgeEdge LukeMM95's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Castle Graveskull
    Posts
    2,533
    Blog Entries
    5


    Quote Originally Posted by hamm View Post
    every star wars movie has a stupid title, we'll get used to it
    Come on, "The Empire Strikes Back" is a pretty cool sounding title.

  30. #297
    SuperFriend Kaine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    5,650
    Blog Entries
    1


    Not a great name but not that bad either.
    Episodes rated best and worst from each season:
    1: Krusty Gets Busted/Homer's Night Out 2: The Way We Was/Bart's Dog Gets an F 3: Colonel Homer/Dog of Death 4: Marge vs. The Monorail/So It's Come to This: A Simpsons Clip Show 5: Cape Feare/Bart Gets An Elephant 6: Treehouse of Horror V/Another Simpsons Clip Show 7: Mother Simpson/Homerpalooza 8: You Only Move Twice/The Canine Mutiny 9: Lisa's Sax/The Two Mrs. Nahasapeemapetilons 10: Lisa Gets an A/Sunday Cruddy Sunday 11: Behind The Laughter/Beyond Blunderdome 12: Trilogy of Error/The Computer Wore Menace Shoes 13: I Am Furious Yellow/Homer the Moe 14: The Dad Who Knew Too Little/Large Marge 15: The Way We Weren't/Diatribe of a Mad Housewife 16: Thank God Its Doomsday/Mommie Beerest 17: Marge's Son Poisoning/Bonfire of the Manatees 18: Marge Gamer/Revenge is Best Served Three Times 19: Treehouse of Horror XVIII/That 90's Show 20: Gone Maggie Gone/Coming To Homerica 21: O Brother, Where Bart thou?/The Devil Wears Nada 22: Homer Scissorhands/The Fool Monty 23: Holidays of Future Passed/Moe Goes From Rags To Riches 24: Adventures In Baby-Getting/Whiskey Business 25: Brick Like Me/White Christmas Blues 26: Bart's New Friend/The Musk Who Fell to Earth 27: Halloween of Horror/Every Man's Dream 28: There Will Be Buds/Moho House 29: Gone Boy/Throw Grampa from the Dane

  31. #298
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    standing atop the ruins of OSS' crushed dreams
    Posts
    9,011


    It's at least better than Star Wars Episode VII: We're Doing This For the Money

  32. #299
    don't quite cover all CousinMerl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Spittle County
    Posts
    7,794


    Quote Originally Posted by LukeMM95 View Post
    Come on, "The Empire Strikes Back" is a pretty cool sounding title.
    It's as silly and pulp serial sounding as the others (which kinda is the point).

  33. #300
    Your Deer Friend ThatsAPaddlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    The Simpsons are going to Delaware!
    Posts
    4,884
    Blog Entries
    7


    As far as titles go, "Attack of the Clones" is straight up 60's B movie level.

    The Star Wars Rebels movie was actually really good! If you like the expanded universe stuff/don't mind CGI, check it out. Rebels takes place five years before "A New Hope", and the TV show has been great so far.

    "The Force Awakens" should open like this:


  34. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Kid Moe



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •