View Poll Results: What is your favorite Star Wars movie?

Voters
123. You may not vote on this poll
  • Episode I: The Phantom Menace

8 6.50%
  • Episode II: Attack Of The Clones

2 1.63%
  • Episode III: Revenge Of The Sith

8 6.50%
  • Episode IV: A New Hope

25 20.33%
  • Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

61 49.59%
  • Episode VI: Return Of The Jedi

15 12.20%
  • Episode VII: The Force Awakens

2 1.63%
  • Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

2 1.63%
  • Episode VIII: The Last Jedi

0 0%
Page 29 of 47 FirstFirst ... 192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: STAR WARS (untagged spoilers, yo)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

The Blue Files OldSchoolerSimpsons's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think the reason the movie has quite an overload of comedy (some moments were funny for me, but some others really didn't work at all) is exactly because it's owned by Disney. The executives probably decided that because the plot is so dark they decided to make it a little more lighthearted by having the dialogue (and even the tone to some extent) more jokey. For example, the "Anything else?" line never would have been in any of the original movies, since it would take away from the seriousness. Which it did.

Episode VI was more jokey compared to episode IV and V, but they still kept the tone serious enough to make the balance work well. Here, it occasionally was uneven.
    Quote Originally Posted by scully apologist;bt39949
    "KONY 2012"

Come back, Zinc!! Sniper Squirrel's Avatar

I actually thought the blend of serious/humor was utilized better this time around than in Jedi, but that's just me. ROTJ is still a good film, but it's definitely the most flawed of the OT
    I'm just like Krusty!
    I'm Krusty, who are you? by NoHomers.net

Backdoor Sluts 9 makes Crotch Capers 3 look like Naughty Nurses 2

3. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Ryan, Sam

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Glass-Decorated Christmas Tree View Post
    I think the reason the movie has quite an overload of comedy (some moments were funny for me, but some others really didn't work at all) is exactly because it's owned by Disney. The executives probably decided that because the plot is so dark they decided to make it a little more lighthearted by having the dialogue (and even the tone to some extent) more jokey. For example, the "Anything else?" line never would have been in any of the original movies, since it would take away from the seriousness. Which it did.

yea it's "more jokey" because it's disney, because the prequels were nothing but dead-seriousness the entire way through. good god you're daft.

star wars has always been pulpy and light except for maybe a majority of empire, because well, that was empire.

about kylo ren:  he's supposed to be a weak villain. he wants to be darth vader but he can't. that's why he kills off han, because he thinks killing his father will validate his want to the dark side even more. but in the end he's just as weak as his grandfather, a dramatic irony that he is obviously unaware of. the fact that he has a rivalry with his other in command pushes this forward, as well as the palpatine-esque snoke. there's a lot yet to be revealed... ren isn't vader, because that's the point! 
    twitter

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotDetector View Post
    Two and a Half Men is no more an "adult show" than "Rocket Power."

Come back, Zinc!! Sniper Squirrel's Avatar

My biggest beef with Jedi is aside from the vader/palpatine parts it purposely made the enemy a giant joke, so there wasn't any real sense of danger that existed in 4 and 5 and TFA brought a lot of that suspense back

Blog Entries

jedi is a pretty bad followul to empire. coulda been done way better but i still like it. certainly more than sith. jabba's palace/barge (even if luke's plan is insane) and the whole ending part with the emperor are god damn ace

direct floor engagement steamed_hamms's Avatar
    Blog Entries

i think i prefer this to jedi but i really need to see it again first
    not sure what to actually spoiler tag here so fucking everything is getting spoiler tagged

+ ryan basically summed up my opinion on kylo ren, he's a great villain and adam driver was really good. pretty much all the stuff with him and han gave me chills. and han and leia. don't get the complaints about jokes either... it's star wars. it's always had corny little gags in it.
    + rey and finn are the best (rey is 100% kylo ren's sister, huh? that's so happening).
    - captain phasma was so underused
    - i got a bit sick of heavy handed references to the old movies. thinking things like "is there a trash compactor?".
    + conversely, personally loved how much the story itself had in common with new hope.
    + all the other new side characters are pretty cool, bb8 obvs but maz kanata deserves more praise. hope she returns.
    - how the fuck did poe survive? i thought they had killed him off right at the start there, which would have been hilarious given all the pressers.
    + that first line: "this will make everything right." IT DID JJ. IT DID.
    + c3po: "you probably don't recognise me because of my red arm" was hilarious. likewise the nope troopers.
    + that last shot

8. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Ryan, Sam

Blog Entries

I thought rey was luke's daughter. so that they're cousins. there'd be no other reason for han and leia to interact with her and not bring that fact up, or even allude to it.

I'll also agree that there were a tad too many forced references. trash compactor for one, and even finn turning on the stop motion chess table in the falcon. but not enough to really hinder very much 

I'd say this is probably just on par with jedi, but I'll wait to see it again (which I am next tuesday) to really make a strong judgement re: rankings.

direct floor engagement steamed_hamms's Avatar
    Blog Entries

luke skywalker strikes me as a remarkably sexless character so i didn't really think about that. maybe? 

11. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Sam

i fall and i fall and i fall bias's Avatar
    Blog Entries

thoughts on kylo ren

like Ryan said, he's trying to live up to Vader. you can see he hasn't seen many people using the force in that scene where ray fights back against his mind tricks. he's kinda like o shit what is this when he's looking for the map in her head. I thought that scene was pretty cool, especially when she says something like you're just trying to live up to Vader and he gets super pissed off

he hasn't been fighting that much either. he killed every Jedi and now nobody wants to fight back. that's why the the lightsaber battle with finn and ray is so dirty and not choreographed like the battles in the original trilogy

another thing I like is the fact that kylo ren isn't that far on the dark side, so in the fight between him and finn and ray he has to keep hitting where he was shot to get the anger going because he doesn't really feel like fighting

im really interested to see where his character goes. I'm hoping in the next two movies that they just focus on these characters. I want to see more development on finn and poe's relationship, more development on captain phasma and more development on kylo ren's transgression to the dark side 
    Quote Originally Posted by kupomog
    father dies while son tinychats

Blog Entries

absolutely loved it. would rank it just below empire as my third favorite. way better than jedi and just a bit worse than empire. just.. wow love almost everything about it.

my brief after movie thoughts arent too spoilerrific but i will tag em just in case

best part is obviously when han constantly refers to finn as Big Deal after his boasting. also han gettin mad over rey mistakenly saying he made the kessel run in less than FOURTEEN parsecs. god im such a nerd for loving that line. han is bae in this flik
    and yea captain phasma was drastically underused
    dunno how i feel about the snoke character. obvs a emperor esque character for the first order but feels very non star wars to me
    honestly when kylo ren (really really good villian btw) was reaching for the saber and it went past him to rey, thought that would be the luke reveal and he would kick his ass, but they went an even better approach and had rey kick some ass
    that final scene tho

just basic thoughts right now but my head is swimming. will certainly write more about it here later

14. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Steve

i fall and i fall and i fall bias's Avatar
    Blog Entries

i reckon phasma will be more used in the upcoming movies. i felt they built her (gonna say her) up to be some massive villain and they she got beaten by amateurs. she'll make a big comeback in the next or 9th movie i reckon 

don't quite cover all CousinMerl's Avatar

I will be going to see Episode VII tonight and yeah, I'm fairly stoked; my expectations are as I've said not too high and I just hope I'll like and enjoy it (which I don't doubt since I've liked and enjoyed all of the previous six films). I will post my thoughts on it later.

I’ve seen Episode VII. It’s not bad, but it’s not a good movie either. The whole movie to my greatest disappointment is just a lousy Episode IV ripoff. Thus Episode III, aired 10 years ago is still superior for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeydavis View Post
    Homer: Kids, there's three ways to do things; the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power way!
    Lisa: Isn't that the wrong way?
    Homer: Yeah, but faster!

Blog Entries

frankly if you prefer episode III to this you're kidding yourself

Quote Originally Posted by walkin in a handy wonderland View Post
    frankly if you prefer episode III to this you're kidding yourself
    Not exactly; you see, I don’t catch the Original Trilogy, cause I’m too young, so I was dragged into the Saga during the New Trilogy, when I was a kid. Thus eps I-III are actually first for me, fanned by the aura of nostalgia, just like eps IV-VI for older fans. And I guess now I feel pretty much the same thing that they felt during the watching of eps I-III.

Blog Entries

that's some "simpsons are just as good as ever" level defense.

Blog Entries

it's weird, i'm about as nostalgia blinded as anyone on earth and yet i saw the prequels first and it still did nothing to change my view of them nowadays

also even though III is technically the best of the prequels it's also in some ways the most offensive in that it had a big fuckin job to do that it fumbled throughout it's entirety. it's only the best because of it's core concepts, it's still unforgivably clumsy and stupid and horrible.

Blog Entries

yeah i was exposed to the prequels way more as a kid. saw all three of them in theaters near opening day and the originals are obviously way superior. no excuse guy

Banned
    Blog Entries

Just watched The Force Awakens and i loved it, it was a awesome movie. I had really fun watching the movie and it managed to be both extremely exciting and fun at the same time with some very serious moments aswell. I liked it more then Revenge Of The Sith and i rank it on par with The New Hope if not a tad better and a little worse then Return Of The Jedi and The Empire Strikes Back so in short it was honestly not that much weaker then the originals and it overall was what i expected. Not the best Star Wars movie ever but good enough too be among the better ones so yeah great movie and i hope the following Star Wars movies can keep up the same quality.
    Last edited by Jerkass Homer; 12-20-2015 at 12:19 PM.

Maybe I have to rewatch the Original Trilogy. After all, it’s been a while since the last time. Maybe my perception has changed, or maybe not.

Al Jeany apologist skully the poltergeist's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The prequels are just as good as the originals. Just have a different tone. Jar Jar is way better than Ewoks...

Blog Entries

o my god shut up

i know you're trolling but still shut up

Ill-Mannered Sack of Crap LosTickaToeRest's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think it's funny how my boyfriend likes the prequels (except Phantom Menace) as well as the Clone Wars TV show but genuinely considers the OT to be objectively terrible films that people "only think are good movies because they watched them a lot as kids and have nostalgia-blinders"

He was game to see VII but is less inclined now because to him "almost as good as the originals/recaptures the spirit of the originals" is the opposite of a good review

But yeah, there are more people who prefer the prequels than you'd think, oddly enough.
    Last edited by LosTickaToeRest; 12-20-2015 at 04:47 PM.
    Earth. Atomizer. Let's go.

Blog Entries

He's trying to bait you, ignore him comeau. Anyway, saw it Friday. The tone matches the originals thankfully and I really enjoyed the use of physical creatures rather than CGI ones. Also, Daisy Ridely and John Boyega killed it as the new heroic leads, really loved them.

Blog Entries

im aware of his tactic. classic dohmer move.

Blog Entries

You are comeau?! Finally! I knew you weren't a new member I had never seen before!

Blog Entries

who the fuck are you

Blog Entries

p.s. the aug 2009 join date should've been an indication I wasn't a new member

Blog Entries

I don't mean new new, I mean new-to-me new.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by do they know it's christmas? View Post
    who the fuck are you

Thread Information