Page 5 of 199 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141555105 ... LastLast

Thread: The Nostalgia Critic

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Good to see he has a sense for self-criticism and takes the criticism of the fans with humor. The only thing I'm thinking about is the Futurama syndrome of stopping than restarting and of having a finale (haven't watched the Anniversary special yet) which was great so anyway I was anticipating something like that but not so soon (that Demo Reel 's poor reception must have beena slap in the face)

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome B. Wonderful View Post
    Kinda sad to see Demo Reel go... it had real potential.
    IMO Doug fucked-up with Demo Reel in the first place.I mean it's cool that he wants to make a new show and all but he got too excited and forgot about the consequences if it were to fail.IMO he should of uploaded somekind of Pilot of it first to test the waters...and not just prematurely end NC and start with Demo Reel...cuz now...If I were him I'd be embarrassed.

Blog Entries

Well all this build-up just to go back to the basics. Kinda sad if you think about it.

You know...characters like Nostalgia Critic or Angry Video Game Nerd don't get half the credit they deserve.When they started...man was it Original.It's sad the TV Networks don't see their potential TBH.I mean AVGN and NC would probably be a big hit if some TV Network decided to make a deal with Rolfe and NC(air all their old Episodes + air their new ones exclusively).
    I mean...look at Beavis and Butthead...that is(was) a comedic cartoon criticizing Music Videos and that's popular as hell

Well all this build-up just to go back to the basics. Kinda sad if you think about it.
    Not really.So his new show failed....Doesn't mean he won't try a new show in the future.Even fucking Steven Spielberg had his hits and misses...you can't expect everything Doug touches to turn into gold.

Blog Entries

Umm to be fair they're video game/movie review shows. Sure, some eps. focus on action and characters (Nostalgia Critic does it more often) and they are pretty cool personas but I'd hardly call them original.

Umm to be fair they're video game/movie review shows. Sure, some eps. focus on action and characters (Nostalgia Critic does it more often) and they are pretty cool personas but I'd hardly call them original.
    Their styles of reviewing are original.
    Nostalgia Critic focused on old shitty movies
    AVGN on old shitty games
    I mean I'll take AVGN over shit like "Game One" anyday
    I still think they should get their own TV Shows...but that's just me
    Hopefully James Rolfe realizes his dream of being a Movie Director tho

Blog Entries

These things wouldn't work on the budget and censorship of actual TV, their characters are basically built upon lambasting something with a huge amount of profanity with intentionally bad "action scenes" thrown in for good measure. The AVGN movie is probably what a TV show like it would be similar to, only cut down to 20 mins. or so. And I dunno I'm pretty sure both Rolfe and Walker may be tiring of only being known as their reviewer personas. James so desperately wants to be a real filmmaker and I hope he does achieve that goal but for now he's typecast as the Nerd. ONLY TAKE WHAT I WROTE RIGHT NOW MILDLY SERIOUSLY BECAUSE I'M TIRED AS FUCK RIGHT NOW AND IT MIGHT NOT'VE COME OUT RIGHT.

don't quite cover all CousinMerl's Avatar

It's great to hear that the NC will be back; watching those Pixarcember reviews in a way reminded me that I do miss him and his reviews. There's still many movies he can review so it's not like the selection has run dry, but I hope he truly is positive himself about bringing the character back.

Blog Entries

And the fact that his cut-off date is pretty much gone gives him a bigger scope.

These things wouldn't work on the budget and censorship of actual TV, their characters are basically built upon lambasting something with a huge amount of profanity with intentionally bad "action scenes" thrown in for good measure. The AVGN movie is probably what a TV show like it would be similar to, only cut down to 20 mins. or so. And I dunno I'm pretty sure both Rolfe and Walker may be tiring of only being known as their reviewer personas. James so desperately wants to be a real filmmaker and I hope he does achieve that goal but for now he's typecast as the Nerd. ONLY TAKE WHAT I WROTE RIGHT NOW MILDLY SERIOUSLY BECAUSE I'M TIRED AS FUCK RIGHT NOW AND IT MIGHT NOT'VE COME OUT RIGHT.
    Depends on what TV Network or what Time they're on dude.If they're on something like....HBO...then this wouldn't be a problem at all
    Or if they are on MTV at like 11PM it wouldn't be a problem either.
    I'd like to see Rolfe being a Filmmaker...I'd like to see a Horror Flick of his in this age of horrible Horror films coughParanormalActivitycough

Blog Entries

It just wouldn't work and it would be hugely dickish to the fanbase imo.

I have to say though just because Demo Reel failed that doesn't mean that Doug won't try a new show in the future.

don't quite cover all CousinMerl's Avatar

And the fact that his cut-off date is pretty much gone gives him a bigger scope.
    But if he's gonna tear into more modern movies as well, then why still use the name Nostalgia Critic?

Blog Entries

Oh of course. In fact I'm sure he'll try new things down the road just like any other sane person would do.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CousinMerl View Post
    But if he's gonna tear into more modern movies as well, then why still use the name Nostalgia Critic?
    Dunno, but apparently that Timothy Green movie is next by the looks of that video posted. It is rather strange and I'm interested to see how this can be executed.

It just wouldn't work and it would be hugely dickish to the fanbase imo.
    My point is...these kind of things should end up on TV at some point or another.Not neccesarily AVGN or NC themselves....but I would like to see TV Networks try out similar shows like these...not NC or AVGN Ripoffs...but review shows by Random Talented People(like James and Doug once were)...if you get what I mean

I watched the episode and I saw the Demo Reel characters for the first time(Never saw the show),all of them sucked except that German Character...he was funny.I wouldn't mind him making cameos in NC Episode whenever there's something German Related to a particular movie

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThankYouComeAgain View Post
    I watched the episode and I saw the Demo Reel characters for the first time(Never saw the show),all of them sucked except that German Character...he was funny.I wouldn't mind him making cameos in NC Episode whenever there's something German Related to a particular movie
    That seems to be the main consensus of DR. Everybody loved Carl, was indifferent to everyone else. Although I did like the actors Malcolm and Rachel, hope they find something for them.
    twitter

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotDetector View Post
    Two and a Half Men is no more an "adult show" than "Rocket Power."

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    That seems to be the main consensus of DR. Everybody loved Carl, was indifferent to everyone else. Although I did like the actors Malcolm and Rachel, hope they find something for them.
    Yeah...Carl Rocks.Isn't he an old-timer from TGWTG though?...cuz I swear to God I've seen him in the Anniversary Specials.

Junior Camper

He's played by Rob, Doug's brother. He helps manage the site and write several of Doug's videos.

Quote Originally Posted by WeaselStomper View Post
    He's played by Rob, Doug's brother. He helps manage the site and write several of Doug's videos.
    *facepalm* it was Rob? God I knew I saw the face before...gosh I'm so stupid sometimes >.

number one burpo fan Hommer for the Holidays's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CousinMerl View Post
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph.../ArtifactTitle

24. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Shaunbadia

Blog Entries

Thumbs up for TvTropes @Hommer

I loved the new video. It actually really resonated with me. I look forward to NC's return.
    How to remaster

With the people typecasting Rolfe as the Nerd, it does get kinda sad. I think Rolfe can one day be a really good filmmaker. As for Walker, I think he can too, but it's hard to give up a huge thing that made them both very famous on the Internet.
    I'm still excited for the new episodes nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by Startug View Post
    With the people typecasting Rolfe as the Nerd, it does get kinda sad. I think Rolfe can one day be a really good filmmaker. As for Walker, I think he can too, but it's hard to give up a huge thing that made them both very famous on the Internet.
    I'm still excited for the new episodes nonetheless.
    I think Doug would be more suited to work in Television while James would be more suited for Cinematic/Theatrical Work.Seriously who wouldn't love seeing Doug Walker guest-star in David Letterman at some point?

I can't wait for the New Episodes.Come on...why THE FUCK ISNT IT 5th FEBRUARY yet IM getting IMPATIENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!1!!!

28. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Startug

That's something I'm excited for. How Doug was doing an episode a week was astounding, I'm kinda surprised he didn't have them at least two weeks apart in the first place.

That's something I'm excited for. How Doug was doing an episode a week was astounding, I'm kinda surprised he didn't have them at least two weeks apart in the first place.
    I'm imagining that if he worked in the Sitcom Industry they'd drive Doug mad cuz of his ability of making episodes weekly

He could probably do TV. I don't know if he'd be great at doing voices as I can usually recognize his voice on the spot when he dubs something.

He could probably do TV. I don't know if he'd be great at doing voices as I can usually recognize his voice on the spot when he dubs something.
    I'd love him to have his own talk show...that'd be raaaaaaaaaaad man
    Though I probably couldn't watch all of his talk shows...I mean...I dont think they will upload every single episode of it in the Net cuz they dont do that generally with Talk Shows to my knowledge

Off-Topic:Check a game review I did in the "retro game reviews" thread

Thread Information